How Long for the Hype to Wear Down?

TinkSassy

Original Poster
I was planning on spending a day at Universal first part of October. We haven't been since before Mummy opened and haven't seen any HP. One of the reasons we stayed away was the HP hype last time.

We really want to see this - but I'm not waiting 4 hours to ride ANYTHING. How long did it take to become "reasonable" last time? I get an hour or so with planning but seriously 6 hours?????

Timekeeper

In this unique situation (with Gringotts), your wait time is not so much dependent on rider demand, but more so on when the attraction will start runing a full capacity. As of now, all any of us can do is guess. One can only hope that it's running at least double the current capacity by October, and without the intermittent technical delays.

You won't have any problems getting into and exploring DA, and the FJ and HE will have nominal wait times.

October is a great time to visit any of the theme parks.

nerdboyrockstar

I wouldn't worry about opening week summer crowds in October. If you're really worried, get to the park at opening or hit the ride closer to closing time.

roodlesnouter

I think the "hype" will last longer this time.

With the original WWoHP they announced an opening date really early on in the process thus giving people plenty of time to plan a trip. Virgin in the UK was even selling packages through it's site and brochures with Harry being at the forefront of the marketing. This time round the announced a mere 2 weeks before opening, with this in mind I wouldn't be surprised that the crowds to be around in to next Summer.

For a lot of British fans (and not the ones that frequent park forums) the late announcement means hey will have only just latched on to the latest instalment of WWoHP, they will want to see it for sure but have probably already booked this year summer holidays (vacations). These people will hit up Orlando at Xmas or next summer, and this could well be true for any other country.

Maybe not as heavy but sustained would be my guess

Tom Morrow

Well, from what I've heard, there haven't been, or barely have been any lines to wait to get into Diagon Alley. The reason Gringotts is still having 2-3 hour waits is that it still isn't functioning at full capacity, which is kind of frustrating, but what can you do? Once they get it to full capacity, you will most likely see lines about an hour or less.

IAmFloridaBorn

One thing I learned with Universal, hype or not go enjoy it. It's going to be there and so are other people. Just bare with whatever wait time you're dealt that day and embrace it.

I will say you should be okay by October. This is the heat of the summer, extremely busy days. October days are moderate and in relation to wait times, manageable.

Andy Whitfield

So what's the deal on capacity? What are we waiting for to happen before this thing runs at full capacity. Have they not paid for the last three trains as yet? I'm going mid Sept. Don't want to wait a day to get it but i will if i have to. Well maybe not a whole day.

BigTxEars

We hit Potter 1.0 in September 2010, I thought it would be fairly calm in September (HP opened in June 2010) as it is a "off" time for the parks in Orlando.

It was stupid crowded in and around the HP section of IOA, the rest of the park was pretty much walk on rides. But HP area was beyond over crowded and very much beyond enjoyable IMO. I would guess HP 2.0 will still be humming along in a big way in October this year. I would steer clear until next year, heck we are back in Orlando in Jan 2015 and toyed with the ideal of going to see 2.0 but I am still scared by the experience we had in 2010 :eek:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd expect Gringotts to be running at normal design capacity before your trip.

It'll be busy but not silly busy. We queued for just over an hour for FJ 10 weeks after opening in 2010. Diagon is also larger than the first area and took a lot of its lessons into consideration.

HTF

I was planning on spending a day at Universal first part of October. We haven't been since before Mummy opened and haven't seen any HP. One of the reasons we stayed away was the HP hype last time.

We really want to see this - but I'm not waiting 4 hours to ride ANYTHING. How long did it take to become "reasonable" last time? I get an hour or so with planning but seriously 6 hours?????

Your gonna need more than a day buddy... I mean you haven't been since before Mummy? Wow your not gonna recognize the place, have fun, and yes it will be crowded just not insane.

On second thought lets think of all that's opened since your last visit. This is 10 years btw, just 10...

Revenge of the Mummy
Seuss Trolley Train Ride
Fear Factor Live
Universal Music Plaza
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
Update to Disaster
Update to Spiderman
Simpsons Ride
Twirl and Hurl
Springfield
Parade
Cinespec
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Hogsmeade
Cabana Bay Resort
Antojitos
Bread Box
Menchies
Starbucks x 4
Cold Stone
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
Red Oven
Hot Dog Hall of Fame
Vivo
SpongeBob Store Pants
New Universal Store
Decks and upgraded Citywalk kiosks including merch and food offers
Transformers the Ride
Transformers meet and greet
Hogwarts Express
Diagon Alley

Dude that's a lot to explore, see, and taste in one day! May want to upgrade!

Andy Whitfield

They have not been given the clear to run all 9 cars on the attraction.

The clear from Health and Safety? thats bait daft of universal

I'd expect Gringotts to be running at normal design capacity before your trip.

It'll be busy but not silly busy. We queued for just over an hour for FJ 10 weeks after opening in 2010. Diagon is also larger than the first area and took a lot of its lessons into consideration.

Thank you for your answer. Going with the in-laws and can't have them stood around all day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom