West Side Parking Garage construction

halltd

With all of the creatively designed parking garages in the world now, I'm a bit discouraged that Disney didn't do more to make these special. The concept art makes them look like run of the mill garages. They used to be all about hiring signature architects to do their large structures (like Feature Animation, Team Disney, etc...). These structures could've been really cool...or really invisible. Unfortunately they look like neither.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
With all of the creatively designed parking garages in the world now, I'm a bit discouraged that Disney didn't do more to make these special. The concept art makes them look like run of the mill garages. They used to be all about hiring signature architects to do their large structures (like Feature Animation, Team Disney, etc...). These structures could've been really cool...or really invisible. Unfortunately they look like neither.

RCID is building the garages at DS.

I am sure TDO had input, maybe even designed them in reality but RCID is paying the tab so probably had final say on the design.

And... not disagreeing with you, they look rather bland when they could have been so much better given current design standards.

dstrawn9889

RCID IS Disney. no way that no one in imagineering had a shot at this, but really, as long as people can park on it, it is easy to get into and out of(both with a car, and on foot), and it does not collapse, what else is necessary? it really is not going to be seen from inside DS... why does it matter?

roj2323

ok guys if you look at the parking garage now you are basically looking at a house under construction and the only part that's done is the foundation and framing. It's only when the windows go in, the siding goes up and the thing has been painted do you see what the house is actually going to look like. Additionally even once a house is done you still have to landscape around it and everyone knows disney has a talent for that. In short relax, let them finish the structure before you start bashing it for lack of appeal.

G00fyDad

ok guys if you look at the parking garage now you are basically looking at a house under construction and the only part that's done is the foundation and framing. It's only when the windows go in, the siding goes up and the thing has been painted do you see what the house is actually going to look like. Additionally even once a house is done you still have to landscape around it and everyone knows disney has a talent for that. In short relax, let them finish the structure before you start bashing it for lack of appeal.

They're basing their comments off of the concept art, not what is currently done.

71jason

It's a parking garage. I'd be shocked if 0.1% of the guests who use it bother to pay enough attention to notice the aesthetics, especially since it's largely hidden once your inside DTD.

Now things like ease of parking and feeling of security inside are important--but we have literally nothing other than speculation re: those aspects of it at the moment.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a parking garage. I'd be shocked if 0.1% of the guests who use it bother to pay enough attention to notice the aesthetics, especially since it's largely hidden once your inside DTD.

Now things like ease of parking and feeling of security inside are important--but we have literally nothing other than speculation re: those aspects of it at the moment.
I am thrilled that they are theaming it at all. We could have quite easily ended up with this.

60_big.jpg

jrlang1

Here is a close up picture of the "monolith" from the recent Theme Park Insider update. I can't quite figure out what this is. It sort of looks like they are going to build a second one to the left of the current one, appears to be a foundation there for it. Also of note in that photo update, the tower crane has been removed from the first garage section.

View attachment 59505
If you compare this pic to the just released concept art it appears to be a support for exit or entry ramp for cars. Like its going to align with the road next to the guarge

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you compare this pic to the just released concept art it appears to be a support for exit or entry ramp for cars. Like its going to align with the road next to the guarge

The structure we are discussing is on the other side of the garage, near Dinsey Quest. This side is not shown in the new concept art.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Legitimate question: how is the concept art very different than what's in that picture?
It is considerably different. That is a bare concert structure with some planters.

The DTD structure will be fully covered and painted, have large hurricane shutters to go along with the old Florida theme and full landscaping.

DatelineDisneyWorld06012014-_DSC5225.jpg

disney-springs_Full_20468.jpg;width=640

halltd

I'm a bit surprised some of you are saying "who cares what it looks like, it's a parking garage!" That's definitely not the attitude Disney was built on and it should ever be the attitude at Disney when it comes to building anything. If a guest can EVER see something, it should be properly themed.

The more detailed concept art posted just above looks way better than the computer rendering they released. I wonder why they didn't post those on the Disney Parks Blog. It still looks parking garage-ish, but I'm definitely less skeptical now. It might even turn out to be pretty cool. :) I would have preferred to have seen it wrapped in false facades that mimic the style of the rest of Disney Springs so you didn't even have a clue there was a parking garage there, but oh well. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm a bit surprised some of you are saying "who cares what it looks like, it's a parking garage!" That's definitely not the attitude Disney was built on and it should ever be the attitude at Disney when it comes to building anything. If a guest can EVER see something, it should be properly themed.

The more detailed concept art posted just above looks way better than the computer rendering they released. I wonder why they didn't post those on the Disney Parks Blog. It still looks parking garage-ish, but I'm definitely less skeptical now. It might even turn out to be pretty cool. :) I would have preferred to have seen it wrapped in false facades that mimic the style of the rest of Disney Springs so you didn't even have a clue there was a parking garage there, but oh well. :)

Yeah, everything visible should be themed, like this :facepalm:

soarin_2_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

LL2WDW

I would have preferred to have seen it wrapped in false facades that mimic the style of the rest of Disney Springs so you didn't even have a clue there was a parking garage there, but oh well. :)

But how do you cover a six-story, 4000 spot parking monolith, and not have it look like a giant facade covering a giant parking garage? The parking lot that existed in it's place was not themed. This garage is decorated in a manner that says, "hey, this is where you park your car...kinda spiffy, eh?" I'm fine with that.

I was at DTD this past Sunday, and once you're walking around, you rarely notice them. Plus, the geek in me finds the gargantuan size of them impressive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom