Trip Report Aulani Trip Report (quasi-live)

Who's up for a visit to Hawai'i? Well, we have been. For about 10 years we've been planning this one and it is finally here. If you happened to follow our trip reports, yes, we just got back from Disney World less than a week ago. And, no, we are not made of $$. In fact, my wife and I are both high school teachers just outside Baltimore, Maryland. We have been saving and planning for this Hawai'i trip for quite some time. This summer's visit to The World was a bit of a surprise. We are DVC members and already had annual passes from our visit last summer. We had just enough points to visit DW and our daughter wanted to do the Disney Soccer Academy, so it all worked out for us to do two vacations this summer. The flip side is....we'll be eating Ramen Noodles 3 meals a day for the next few months.

Anyway, you didn't sign up to hear our budgeting plans or anything, you are here to see pictures (and maybe a tale or two) of Hawai'i, I'll bet!

So, we'll start at the beginning! On Tuesday morning, we were up at 3am and driving to the airport by 4am. We were getting to the airport because there had been a name error with our tickets which (according to the person on the phone at USAirways) had been resolved, but we wanted to get there early to make sure. Turns out, nothing was resolved and they wanted to charge us $200 to fix things. After significant arguing and frustration with the total lack of quality customer service (at one point, the teller just walked away while I was asking a question and went through a door and closed it), my wife checked with TSA to see if they would accept multiple IDs with our tickets and they said it was no problem at all. People use the term "money grab" quite a bit around here and to me, this was a true money grab. Basically, USAirways said "they won't let you through security with that problem and it will cost you $200 to fix it. And we refuse to acknowledge the fact that you already fixed it with us a couple months ago" to which TSA said, "No problem, you're all set." OK, airline complaints aside....by 7am Maryland time we were on the plane and about 2pm Hawai'i time we were landing in Honolulu.

Got our luggage, caught our shuttle bus, and were at Aulani by 4pm. Here's the view coming into our room - yes, we really liked the woodwork on the door!

We had an 'island garden view' room, which basically means you are facing away from the ocean, but aren't over the parking lot. Well, my wife did some research and put in a specific room request and boy did she score big time. Here is the view from our balcony.

And here is a little stowaway from the Disney World trip last week.

Once we had settled into the room, we decided that we were pretty seriously needing some food, so we headed downstairs and tracked down some eats. Our daughter simply got chicken tenders and chips (10 hours in the plane made it tough to be food adventurous) while my wife and I split a bbq/guava pork flatbread from Ulu (one of the counter service restaurants). Food was great and the view of the ocean (don't worry those pics will be coming later) was amazing. We also picked up the refillable mugs since we plan to be staying in the resort area for at least 4-5 days this week and it is definitely a good savings for us to get them.

After eating, we came back up to the room crazy tired and almost ready to turn in at 6pm. But, that would be giving in to jet lag, so...put on the swimsuits and went out to the pool! A quick turn in the lazy river and then some swimming in the infinity pool was actually quite relaxing and the water was good for all the sore muscles from 10 hours of plane seats. We just spent about 45 minutes enjoying and then did head back to the room.

Last edited:

Mom@disney

The Starlit Hui isn't really a luau, though, just a storytelling show. We've done a real Hawai'ian luau back on our honeymoon and it was amazing. The Hui doesn't have food, which is THE main ingredient of a true luau. It does have some traditional music (although most of the music is pretty modern) and a very little bit of hula (with audience participation), but not to the degree that one would expect from a traditional luau. By the way, the local traditional luau at Paradise Cove (walking distance away) was last night and there was a FLOOD of people from Aulani heading that way. Since we have seen one in the past and we know our daughter would not appreciate the Kalua pork and nobody really appreciates the poi (I actually kind of like it), we decided it wasn't worth it for us.

The lazy river (Waikolohe Valley Stream) is absolutely beautiful. While it does get a little crowded at times, it is nowhere near as crowded as those at water parks - I expect the nearby ocean has some influence. There is nice vegetation all along the route, a cave with 'natural springs' (bubbles), and waterfalls along the way. The tubes are plentiful, but it is more than nice enough to just swim through.

To be honest, all the pools are really pretty amazing. The main pool is zero entry and mainly in sun during the day and has lighting in the bottom laid out as constellations, the infinity pool has a nice little grotto area for shade in addition to the main area and the adult-only pool is quiet! The tube water slide is great and empties directly into the lazy river if you want to just keep going after your ride. We haven't tried the body slide, but it empties into the main pool. All are well themed throughout. This morning we are planning to spend some time in both the ocean and the pool before our breakfast with Mickey and friends.

Rain is definitely coming either later tonight or tomorrow - we just hope it maybe moves a little faster than they are expecting and is out of here by Monday afternoon!
That sounds amazing! Thank you for the details. Hawaii is a dream trip of ours that we definitely want to go when our girls are a little older. And Aulani sounds perfect for us. Soak up some more sun :)

StarWarsGirl

We spent the day at Aulani when we were in Waikiki for my sisters wedding back in September. I wanted to stay there so bad- the place is breathtaking! But noooo, the parents said we all gotta stay together at the Hilton Hawaiian Village...party poopers
I've stayed at both (we split our stay two years ago). Aulani trounces Hilton Hawaiian Village.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow! Another great day in Hawai'i. Beautiful weather (perhaps not tomorrow, but we made up for it with a full day today) and more exploring of the island. This time, we went up the west coast of the island, but only after some ocean time and then some breakfast with a few old friends.

First thing, we were again up early and headed to the beach at 8am for some fun with a boogie board. Quite enjoyable hour, but sadly no pics - having too much fun in the water! Then it was time for the Makahiki Breakfast with ye olde Disney characters. I expect this will be about the end of the 'Disney' pictures for this adventure...

And here is the beautiful view from my seat!

After lunch, we hit the road going north - Farrington Highway to be precise. And the sights were many and beautiful. Our first stop was Papaoneone beach. Again, not too easy to find the access, but interesting once we did. We parked in a residential area and then walked a narrow path to a rocky beach area where the waves were literally right at our feet. And so were the interesting little crab friends (and quite a few fish in the tidal pools as well).

Further up the road, we came to the Wainea Valley and the Makahaha Valley, plus the Makua cave. Just amazing stuff and NO tourists along the way. This is obviously area that is relatively uncharted by non-locals and we really enjoyed it. And, in case we had forgotten...over 1/3 of this island is military property.

This is the view from inside the cave looking out.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's the cave looking in from my wife's camera.

We kept going until we hit the end of the paved road and turned back around. On the way back south, we hit the same beach, but from a different perspective. We found the sandy side and walked a bit there. Eventually we ended up back at the rocks so the girls could enjoy checking out the tidal pool life a little more. Here they are looking at a colony of hermit crabs.

We then headed back to Aulani (it was around 3pm) and rested for a bit before some on-site adventures. The first of which was 'Ukelele lessons - loads of fun for this music teacher!!

Then our daughter was going back to Aunty's House for some more activities (dinner, a music show, and 'tween' games and crafts), while we were back at Olelo Room lounge to hang out with our new friends on the staff and enjoy some more food and drink.

On the left of those drinks is a creation of one of the bartenders - somewhere between a margarita, a mojito, and an apple-tini. Very good and refreshing. When we picked up our daughter from Aunty's, we had a few more minutes for some dessert!

Those are macaroon buns with flourless chocolate cake meat. The fries are shortbread and the ketchup is strawberry. The milkshake is a coke semi-freddo. All of it was awesome.

Tomorrow we hope the rain stays on the west side of the island and we can have some more fun! (heck, even if it does rain, we will have fun, guaranteed)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, if you come here looking for amazing shots of the Hawai'ian landscape, then I'm afraid today just isn't for you (and to fit that mood, all of today's pics come from the iPhone, not the camera). Today was lots of quality family time in and around the resort and the pictures will represent that! But, first, some great news - big storms came through last night, BUT were gone by today. Lots of wind, but the rain stayed on the other side of the island (after last night). So, first thing this morning (after a little breakfast), we were in the pool and having a good time!

Which was quickly followed by some ocean time as well and then some late morning/early afternoon rest time, we had our family hula lesson. The teacher was great (Heather) and she got a little help for about half of the event.

He had a little fun with our daughter as well...

We then did some of the Menehune Adventures (we think we have completed all of them now) and were quite pleased when one of the quests featured a small nod to Kim Possible and the missions from Epcot. When we returned our game player, guess what....lei making!

Then it was time for an early dinner at Roy's across the street at the golf course. We had little idea what to expect from this, as their menu between lunch and dinner seatings is nowhere to be found online - trust me, it is NOWHERE! So, if you are planning to go, here it is, THE BEST DEALS we have seen anywhere here.

We had 5 of the Aloha Hourz plates (ribs, chicken, spring rolls, ahi tartar, and fries), Passion Fruit cheesecake, and 4 beers and it was only $50. For Hawai'i that seems crazy cheap and the food was EXCELLENT. In addition (and we don't know if this is policy or just nice people) they brought our daughter a cheese quesadilla and ice cream sandwich for free!!! Our waitress said it finally was paying off to be a kid!

And, despite the heavy winds (and one point my wonton chips blew off the table), the setting was beautiful.

We then did some quick shopping for some souvenirs at the store across the street and came back to our room for some more daquiris.

Around 6:30pm, our daughter wanted to go back to Aunty's House for some more 'tween' activities, so off she went and my wife and I enjoyed some more grown up time - first at Olelo room (the lounge) and then in the adults only hot tub.

Tomorrow, I promise some more beautiful Hawai'i pictures - since it will be our last full day!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello! Great day both in and outside the resort - and very busy, too!

Let's start with the early morning. For the first time, we actually were awoken by an alarm at 7am as we were attending the Mahalo Member Mingle (aka DVC party with continental breakfast) at 8am. It was quite enjoyable. My daughter answered one of the trivia questions right and we scored a couple luggage tags in addition to the member baseball caps that everybody got. So, let's see...breakfast, 3 baseball caps, luggage tags, all free?? Count us in!

After the Mingle, we got our stuff together and headed out. First stop the Dole Plantation. My first thoughts...incredible kitschy tourist trap. My second thoughts...the same. We enjoyed some of the information and our daughter loved the hedge maze. Otherwise, tourist central!

After an hour or so there (and, yes, we did get a Dole Whip whilst there!), we headed north...to the North Shore - uber-famous for surfing. And, today....1-2 foot chop was all there was to offer. BUT....turtles. There are a good 100 pictures of them, but I will only share a few!

Pretty much dead center of the island of Oahu, looking west.

Turtle Beach (not to be confused with Turtle Bay). This place was swimming (literally) with sea turtles! There were conservation volunteers around who discussed them - the beached one is named George, which is amazing since I have a long family history of naming turtles (generally of the box variety) George. AND, today is my cousin George's birthday!

We then headed a little farther north to Shark Cove and did some exploring there as well as at Waimea Valley, but no great pics at either - we didn't feel the need to pay the $30+ for the three of us to walk to the Waimea waterfall, which just didn't seem all that impressive.

At that point, rather than go further north to just see more beautiful sandy beaches (which seem to be everywhere!!), we headed back to Aulani for some relax time. That relax time was short lived before we headed to the Character activity of the afternoon. Lots of fun with surfboards and Goofy. I'm not sure what they called it, but the host was awesome (same guy who taught us ukelele)!

That was quickly followed by some story time at the fire pit with Uncle. Very interesting re-telling of Hawai'ian myths and folklore. We really enjoyed it.

We then went to the DVC Sunset Member Mingle. Yes, today was full of DVC events. This one is a WINNER!!! Even more so than this morning. It was on the deck just above the snorkelling reef and featured free food and drink (kalua pork sandwiches and crabcakes plus Mickey brownies, beer/wine and POG for the kids) which were unlimited. Suffice to say, the amount of food and drink that we ate would have likely totalled a good $70 at Hawai'i prices and it was all free. And, thanks to the girls Disney knowledge, we got a couple trivia questions right and came home with two new DVC water bottles (nice ones, too!). And, for this one, you don't have to be a DVC member, just interested. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!! And we got to meet some nice DVC families from Arizona, San Francisco area, and southern California as well.

After that, our daughter wanted a final evening of Aunty's to enjoy some time there, so we caught the sunset and then a couple drinks at Olelo again. Can't beat the folks there - met a really nice couple from Indianapolis who just seem to do nice things for people (there was couple at the bar on honeymoon, so they bought them their drinks) and we really enjoyed talking with them! Tomorrow is our last day, which means I likely won't post for a couple of days until we get home and rested again. Thanks for following along and I promise one more post before this wraps up!

mrdrift

Every thing you are showing us is really pretty. Thank you for all the pictures on the beautiful Island. Seems like the family is having a wonderful time. The turtle are really nice touch to the Island. Great report.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just because I was on a plane for 12 of the past 16 hours and my body is 6 hours off, I am going to wait to post the last day trip report until tomorrow. But, perhaps out of cruelty, here is the biggest teaser ever... it appears that we are going to be on a TV show. That's all you get for now (except those of you who have already seen the pictures on FB). Tomorrow, I promise!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, first off, a couple of pictures from Monday (next to last day) to show what they had at the different DVC events - the Mahalo Member Mingle in the morning and the Sundown Mingle.

Here's the food from the morning event - lots of pastries, coffee and tea (regular and decaf), and leis on the tables for everyone.

By the end, here is what we came away with. Everyone got the leis and the hats - the beachball, Grand Floridian DVC pin, and the luggage tag were courtesy of the girls getting trivia questions right!

At the evening event, similarly, there was lots of food and drink - here I am with a beer and one of the slightly Asian spiced crab cakes. They also had kalua pork sandwiches on a taro roll and the Mickey brownies.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, our final day started off slowly. Packing and getting cleaned up for the last day. Also, our daughter talked to one of the friends she had made in the evenings at Aunty's and found out that some of the cast from Jessie were onsite and doing some taping, so we were on the lookout all day. We had read in numerous places about the Luana Lounge for those leaving on late flights and were glad there was a place for us to store things and get cleaned up after swimming for the flight. Sadly, we found out (quite late - like, that morning) that the lockers are only 30 minutes to use while you are taking a shower and that the room is only single access for you to get cleaned up. Had we known that in the beginning, we would've planned quite differently. So, we were a bit frustrated with it - just wish that they had more information (and particularly more specific and correct information) on the official website. We had to do a little repacking and also put our laptop and iPad in a front desk safe deposit box. Then it was over to the pool (about 11am) for some swimming. Sadly, almost the minute we got a chair (more on that later) it started to rain and with our bag of clothes and other things we might need in tow, I went for cover in the Pau Hana community room while the girls enjoyed getting wet from both above and below as soon it was a complete downpour. Eventually, the rain subsided and I was back outside with them enjoying the pool.

We did a later lunch at Off the Hook, which is right next to the pool. Standard Disney counter-service type food, nothing special. After lunch, it was time for the Pool Games which (while geared a little younger) were something our daughter really wanted to take part in. The games were led by a cast member and a Disney friend.

And the crowd of kids was LARGE (this is only one area)!

While the girls were playing, I was returning the rental car. On my return into the lobby, I saw that they were currently taping the Jessie kids in there, so I quickly called the girls and up they came to watch. It was pretty cool watching the numerous takes of them entering the hotel and getting their leis from the regular Aulani cast members. Big excitement - we are fairly certain that I am going to be in the background of one of the shots!

If you don't know Jessie, it is a Disney Channel show targeted at Tweens (I'd say 8-12 is their target) about a country girl who comes to NYC to be an actress and ends up as a Nanny to three adopted kids of a pair of rich (mostly absent) parents. Those are the three kids. After they finished working on the scene and whisked the actors away (always blocked by a gang of producers and directors and their parents), we headed back downstairs to actually use the Luana Lounge and get cleaned up and changed for dinner and then our flight. The plan was for our daughter to have one last dinner at Aunty's while we had one last visit to Olelo Room. After changing, we went over to the Pau Hana room to relax - and watch Frozen which was being shown on the tv in there. Toward the end of the movie, we were getting ready to head to dinner when a gentlemen approached us and asked if we had some free time and could help out....with the filming! Heck, yeah!! He tells us that the director will have to come meet us and decide if we are OK for his needs. Evidently, there were a couple families in the running for this and he was going to pick. Much to our surprise, upon his return, he decided to go with us. So, the assistant got us to fill out a number of waivers (he even joked about us giving up our next child to Disney) and then we headed outside.

We had really very little idea what was going to happen, but we were told they were going to be doing a ukelele lesson scene for Disney 365 (another show) and we were going to be the real family in the background. The filming was outside near the lazy river and they had a few mats set up. When we got to the shoot, we met with the three Jessie (Skai Jackson, Cameron Boyce, and Karan Brar) kids plus Tory Freeth, the Disney 365 host. They were quite happy that we were a real family - I guess the family they had worked with earlier in the day had just been 3 people who looked 'good' for the scene and weren't actually a family! We sat with our ukelele and filmed a short scene with the Aulani uke teacher about 6 or 7 times over. It was pretty fun and between takes, the actors were very laid back and relaxed and having quite a good time with us! Hoping that we don't make the cutting room floor. So, keep an eye out for Disney 365 at Aulani. Should look something like this!

We were quite amazed with how calm and cool our daughter was through the whole thing as she loves the show, Jessie, and is a big fan of Skai Jackson. They had a good moment at the end of filming comparing their small ukelele blisters. After we left the scene, we did get some dinner at Olelo (way too late for the dinner at Aunty's for our daughter) and for that hour, our daughter was absolutely giddy with excitement - there were occasional squeals and jumping. Again, we met up with the retired folks from Indianapolis and had a good time chatting with them again.

And, after that incredible last day, it was sadly time to head home. Took the shuttle to the airport, got all checked in, and then headed back to Maryland. Recap coming soon!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Turtle Beach (not to be confused with Turtle Bay). This place was swimming (literally) with sea turtles! There were conservation volunteers around who discussed them - the beached one is named George, which is amazing since I have a long family history of naming turtles (generally of the box variety) George. AND, today is my cousin George's birthday!

Ha! We've named lots of things George too!

Abominable Yeti Snowman said it when he was going to have bugs bunny has a pet.

"A little bunny rabbit of my very own!! I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him and hold him and call him George."

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ha! We've named lots of things George too!

Abominable Yeti Snowman said it when he was going to have bugs bunny has a pet.

"A little bunny rabbit of my very own!! I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him and hold him and call him George."

According to the conservation volunteer, the turtle at the beach was originally named Claudette, because it had a fin that was damaged a bit and looked more like a claw...until one day it was lying on the beach and one of the volunteers called in a male turtle with a damaged fin almost like a claw. And thus, Claudette became George. They noted that George is by far the most regular turtle at the beach as most of them swim in and graze on what grows there (and attracts them) and then leave, while George tends to come up on the beach and bask in the sun (and get photographed) most days.

AJ's B

So, our final day started off slowly. Packing and getting cleaned up for the last day. Also, our daughter talked to one of the friends she had made in the evenings at Aunty's and found out that some of the cast from Jessie were onsite and doing some taping, so we were on the lookout all day. We had read in numerous places about the Luana Lounge for those leaving on late flights and were glad there was a place for us to store things and get cleaned up after swimming for the flight. Sadly, we found out (quite late - like, that morning) that the lockers are only 30 minutes to use while you are taking a shower and that the room is only single access for you to get cleaned up. Had we known that in the beginning, we would've planned quite differently. So, we were a bit frustrated with it - just wish that they had more information (and particularly more specific and correct information) on the official website. We had to do a little repacking and also put our laptop and iPad in a front desk safe deposit box. Then it was over to the pool (about 11am) for some swimming. Sadly, almost the minute we got a chair (more on that later) it started to rain and with our bag of clothes and other things we might need in tow, I went for cover in the Pau Hana community room while the girls enjoyed getting wet from both above and below as soon it was a complete downpour. Eventually, the rain subsided and I was back outside with them enjoying the pool.

We did a later lunch at Off the Hook, which is right next to the pool. Standard Disney counter-service type food, nothing special. After lunch, it was time for the Pool Games which (while geared a little younger) were something our daughter really wanted to take part in. The games were led by a cast member and a Disney friend.

And the crowd of kids was LARGE (this is only one area)!

While the girls were playing, I was returning the rental car. On my return into the lobby, I saw that they were currently taping the Jessie kids in there, so I quickly called the girls and up they came to watch. It was pretty cool watching the numerous takes of them entering the hotel and getting their leis from the regular Aulani cast members. Big excitement - we are fairly certain that I am going to be in the background of one of the shots!

If you don't know Jessie, it is a Disney Channel show targeted at Tweens (I'd say 8-12 is their target) about a country girl who comes to NYC to be an actress and ends up as a Nanny to three adopted kids of a pair of rich (mostly absent) parents. Those are the three kids. After they finished working on the scene and whisked the actors away (always blocked by a gang of producers and directors and their parents), we headed back downstairs to actually use the Luana Lounge and get cleaned up and changed for dinner and then our flight. The plan was for our daughter to have one last dinner at Aunty's while we had one last visit to Olelo Room. After changing, we went over to the Pau Hana room to relax - and watch Frozen which was being shown on the tv in there. Toward the end of the movie, we were getting ready to head to dinner when a gentlemen approached us and asked if we had some free time and could help out....with the filming! Heck, yeah!! He tells us that the director will have to come meet us and decide if we are OK for his needs. Evidently, there were a couple families in the running for this and he was going to pick. Much to our surprise, upon his return, he decided to go with us. So, the assistant got us to fill out a number of waivers (he even joked about us giving up our next child to Disney) and then we headed outside.

We had really very little idea what was going to happen, but we were told they were going to be doing a ukelele lesson scene for Disney 365 (another show) and we were going to be the real family in the background. The filming was outside near the lazy river and they had a few mats set up. When we got to the shoot, we met with the three Jessie (Skai Jackson, Cameron Boyce, and Karan Brar) kids plus Tory Freeth, the Disney 365 host. They were quite happy that we were a real family - I guess the family they had worked with earlier in the day had just been 3 people who looked 'good' for the scene and weren't actually a family! We sat with our ukelele and filmed a short scene with the Aulani uke teacher about 6 or 7 times over. It was pretty fun and between takes, the actors were very laid back and relaxed and having quite a good time with us! Hoping that we don't make the cutting room floor. So, keep an eye out for Disney 365 at Aulani. Should look something like this!

We were quite amazed with how calm and cool our daughter was through the whole thing as she loves the show, Jessie, and is a big fan of Skai Jackson. They had a good moment at the end of filming comparing their small ukelele blisters. After we left the scene, we did get some dinner at Olelo (way too late for the dinner at Aunty's for our daughter) and for that hour, our daughter was absolutely giddy with excitement - there were occasional squeals and jumping. Again, we met up with the retired folks from Indianapolis and had a good time chatting with them again.

And, after that incredible last day, it was sadly time to head home. Took the shuttle to the airport, got all checked in, and then headed back to Maryland. Recap coming soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom