Adventureland Veranda: The next Club 33?

TP2000

Thank you for the pictures but do you think this Club 71 would be used to shmooze potential investors?

I doubt it. Corporate money isn't as loose now as it was in the 20th century. Club 33 at Disneyland seems to have gone after the long waiting list of potential members, many of whom have been waiting a decade or more.

Last year TDA reigned in all the freebie Disneyland tickets that members get, with valet parking at the Grand Californian. Once they reigned in the nearly unlimited amount of "guests" a Club member could get in to Disneyland/DCA for free under the guise of a dinner or brunch reservation at the Club, they were able to expand the membership list by several hundred. There are still hundreds on the waiting list trying to get in, and it's assumed this expansion of Club facilities in New Orleans Square, plus the satellite location in DCA on Carthay Circle at the Club 1901 facility, will allow them to pull another couple hundred off the waiting list and into the membership ranks.

The way this would all play out at WDW with the Orlando market is unknown at this point. If they attempt a Club 71 at WDW, it would need to take a different format likely. Far fewer corporate clients, and more private members. But are there enough interested and sufficiently affluent WDW visitors to fill out a Club 71 membership list? And what do they offer these club members to make it worth it?

Club 33 members don't just get access to the club and it's fairly impressive dining and bar facilities. They also have a roster of events and special perks offered throughout the year; dinners and after-hours attraction ridership in Cars Land, backstage tours of famous Disneyland rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion, Halloween costume balls in the park after closing time, speakers and lecturers from WDI and Pixar and Disney's corporate headquarters, etc., etc. A lot of that stuff is doable because Anaheim is relatively freeway-close to Burbank and Disney's headquarters, much like Anaheim is the only place they can stage the massive D23 Expo every two years.

Can they pull off all that stuff in Orlando? Or would Club 71 be mainly about getting a cocktail in a dry theme park?

seahawk7

I doubt it. Corporate money isn't as loose now as it was in the 20th century. Club 33 at Disneyland seems to have gone after the long waiting list of potential members, many of whom have been waiting a decade or more.

Last year TDA reigned in all the freebie Disneyland tickets that members get, with valet parking at the Grand Californian. Once they reigned in the nearly unlimited amount of "guests" a Club member could get in to Disneyland/DCA for free under the guise of a dinner or brunch reservation at the Club, they were able to expand the membership list by several hundred. There are still hundreds on the waiting list trying to get in, and it's assumed this expansion of Club facilities in New Orleans Square, plus the satellite location in DCA on Carthay Circle at the Club 1901 facility, will allow them to pull another couple hundred off the waiting list and into the membership ranks.

The way this would all play out at WDW with the Orlando market is unknown at this point. If they attempt a Club 71 at WDW, it would need to take a different format likely. Far fewer corporate clients, and more private members. But are there enough interested and sufficiently affluent WDW visitors to fill out a Club 71 membership list? And what do they offer these club members to make it worth it?

Club 33 members don't just get access to the club and it's fairly impressive dining and bar facilities. They also have a roster of events and special perks offered throughout the year; dinners and after-hours attraction ridership in Cars Land, backstage tours of famous Disneyland rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion, Halloween costume balls in the park after closing time, speakers and lecturers from WDI and Pixar and Disney's corporate headquarters, etc., etc. A lot of that stuff is doable because Anaheim is relatively freeway-close to Burbank and Disney's headquarters, much like Anaheim is the only place they can stage the massive D23 Expo every two years.

Can they pull off all that stuff in Orlando? Or would Club 71 be mainly about getting a cocktail in a dry theme park?
But MK is no longer a dry park because of BOG. I can't speak to the wealth potential members have or clout, but Orlando is different from Southern California. I'm not sure what the potential clientele who be.

TP2000

I can't speak to the wealth potential members have or clout, but Orlando is different from Southern California. I'm not sure what the potential clientele who be.

The only thing I can think for who the clientele of a Club 71 might be is DVC'ers. Maybe create a DVC Deluxe level of "owners" who have access to Club 71 in Magic Kingdom Park for cocktails and dining, and then Club 1901 style smaller cocktail lounges in the other three WDW parks?

BTW, are you in Seattle? I lived in Juanita for a few years in the 1980's. That was before Seattle was such a big deal; just a fabulous city that no one really knew about yet.

Last edited:

Nmoody1

Magic Kingdom doesn't need a private members club.... They have that at Golden Oak! ;)

Magic Kingdom could really do with a decent sit down restaurant with decent food, maybe a bit like the hopes they had for be our guest when it opened.... Before they realised they could fill it with guests no matter what they served up... Thanks dining plan for dumbing down another restaurant!

Victor Kelly

Its purpose is to make money just like TDO has done with the rest of the property. Squeeze every penny from the visitors any way they can, like pay for fireworks seating and parade viewing, cramming buy our junk stores at the end of every ride. Pirates has the original buy our junk area since back in the 70's and 80's.

My point is that there are people that will pay anything to belong, belong to anything.

My opinion, is that they can do a club whatever somewhere else on the property. Downtown Disney, Old Pleasure Island, The Oddessey in Epcot to name a few. Another table service in Mk would be ideal, of the quality of the rest of the table services restaurants in MK. They could even do a switchable dining arrangement such as Be Our Guest. Counter service for lunch, table service for dinner. AV is fairly large from what I can remember since it has been closed for so long.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I completely agree with a lot of what has been said on here, especially with the recent post by @Victor Kelly

I want to be clear, I do not enjoy TDO blood sucking money from guests. They have been interested in doing a Club 33 for a while, and with the recent social media explosion of trip reports, photos, and opinions over the remodel and expansion, I really see TDO licking their chops on a way to get people to pay up to wine and dine at the Magic Kingdom.

Club 71 at the former Adventureland Veranda already is built and has a kitchen. They aren't going to go out of their way to build a new facility for a club, when they can use an old facility.

I would much rather see the AV turned into a nice sit down restaurant as the MK is strapped on dining facilities, mainly due to some of them being opened seasonal....ridiculous! They need as many restaurant up and running as possible.

Yet...there is so much social media wh*oring that comes out of WDW, I can see Club 71 being an airport lounge for the Magic Kingdom if you will...a quiet place to get away from it all with comfy seats, a bar, and maybe they'd add in a buffet of some sort. I doubt it would be as classy as the formal dining room of Club 33. I don't see that many people actually paying pricey annual dues in WDW, but hey...if they can get people to spend over $500 a night at the Poly, they can get/find people that will spend thousands at Club 71.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
How much would people spend per year to sit and dine on those Verandas? o_O

67s4kz.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Do I like the idea of a Club 33-esque members-only thing in the MK? No. Not that it matters because I won't go there anyway. LOL!

Do I think TDO would actually do it? In a flippin' heartbeat. Disney of late is totally enthralled with the pay-to-play tiered *magical* offerings. If TDO thought for a moment they could milk a top tier buck out of something inserted in the AV space I think they'd whip something together lickety-split. Wouldn't even take a full year much less 3 or 4 to make it happen.

I can see it now....Adventureland theme with a couple Frozen characters shoehorned in (nevermind that theming conflict) and a full spread of prefab cuisine with wine pairings. Gotta sauce-up the deal, ya know. They'd have to be sure not to make the location too low-key. Part of the perk is the status when wistful regular guests gaze upon it from the less-magical surrounding area. Call it "exclusive", slap an obscene price tag on, and every lifestyler or well-funded fan will kick little kiddies outta the way to get at the front of the line.

Oh yeah, TDO would shamelessly go there in a flash.

devoy1701

How is club 33 easy for lifestylers to join? A $10,000-20,000 deposit plus annual dues of the same to be put on a ten year waiting list isn't exclusive? And that's if the waiting list is even open. Or did I miss the memo and now it's included in my d23 membership?

I like the idea of an exclusive club I guess, but since the odds of me ever getting in are astronomically low I'd rather they just open the veranda back up in general. I like the idea of adding some adventurers club style elements through.

I ate at Club 33 last year. It was one of the best meals I've ever had and a truly remarkable dining experience. I don't have the money for a membership...let alone the time to wait for a membership to be approved. But I have a standing invite anytime I find myself in Anaheim.

You basically need to know someone who knows someone.

I am about as low as you can be on the Disney fandom totem pole and I have a couple of standing offers to go to Club 33 if I ever make it to the west coast.

It's worth the $250 it will cost you and wife to dine there...if for nothing else then to brag to other fans who know about it and are in awe of your faux sphere of influence that gives you the connections to be able to dine there!

Bocabear

Quite frankly if I had the money to do so, I would love a private lounge in the MK where I could cool off, charge my phone and enjoy a little quiet for a few minutes in the middle of the day...Same reason I would rather fly first class than coach...Can't always afford it but when I can I sure take advantage of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a private lounge or club within the Magic Kingdom... Like the corporate lounges in EPCOT...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's worth the $250 it will cost you and wife to dine there...if for nothing else then to brag to other fans who know about it and are in awe of your faux sphere of influence that gives you the connections to be able to dine there!
I have no doubt. If we can ever make it to Mecca on the left coast, dining at Club 33 is the number one priority.

Victor Kelly

I completely agree with a lot of what has been said on here, especially with the recent post by @Victor Kelly

I want to be clear, I do not enjoy TDO blood sucking money from guests. They have been interested in doing a Club 33 for a while, and with the recent social media explosion of trip reports, photos, and opinions over the remodel and expansion, I really see TDO licking their chops on a way to get people to pay up to wine and dine at the Magic Kingdom.

Club 71 at the former Adventureland Veranda already is built and has a kitchen. They aren't going to go out of their way to build a new facility for a club, when they can use an old facility.

I would much rather see the AV turned into a nice sit down restaurant as the MK is strapped on dining facilities, mainly due to some of them being opened seasonal....ridiculous! They need as many restaurant up and running as possible.

Yet...there is so much social media wh*oring that comes out of WDW, I can see Club 71 being an airport lounge for the Magic Kingdom if you will...a quiet place to get away from it all with comfy seats, a bar, and maybe they'd add in a buffet of some sort. I doubt it would be as classy as the formal dining room of Club 33. I don't see that many people actually paying pricey annual dues in WDW, but hey...if they can get people to spend over $500 a night at the Poly, they can get/find people that will spend thousands at Club 71.

All true. But why build something so exclusive in MK, when it is surrounded by exclusivity at the Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian. Victoria and Albert's not to mention Citricos is not exactly cheap. V&A is extremely exclusive, 5 star and beyond. After these establishments you have the Epcot resorts. If you can afford these places, great. Personally I won't spend that much for a shower and a bed.

Now to AV, it was a counter service for many many years. It can still open as a quick service, which will enable faster flow. Table service will slow the flow of customers, and given its proximity to Crystal Palace, maybe not such a good idea. Maybe fare with a hawaiian flare.

There are no open everyday quick services in Adventureland. The closest with high capacity is Pecos Bills, low capacity at Casey's corner. There needs to be a quick service in the area, Tortuga is almost always closed. After that you get into Fantasyland, Liberty Square and even further away, Tomorrowland.

I grant you the money grubbers are indeed licking their chops to cash in. Inevitably an exclusive club will probably happen. How much draw it will get, who knows. Some people are just easier to make part with their money than many of us.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
$250 for two people at Club 33? Did that include drinks, tax, and tip? If so that's not too too bad considering some of the restaurants I've eaten at in Manhattan cost that much. (I'm looking at you Wendy's on 5th and 34th!)

For my 25th birthday I and friends had dinner at the Four Seasons Restaurant in midtown and I think with tax, tip, etc it all came to around 150 per person and that including 4 courses and complimentary dessert and dessert wine.

devoy1701

I just threw up a little. Pretty sure another grain of pixie dust was born. LOL!

$250 for two people at Club 33? Did that include drinks, tax, and tip? If so that's not too too bad considering some of the restaurants I've eaten at in Manhattan cost that much. (I'm looking at you Wendy's on 5th and 34th!)

For my 25th birthday I and friends had dinner at the Four Seasons Restaurant in midtown and I think with tax, tip, etc it all came to around 150 per person and that including 4 courses and complimentary dessert and dessert wine.

$272.33 for everything, just checked the statement from last March. For some reason I thought it might have been over $300. This included an endless hor d'oeuvres and dessert bar, our meal, and a toast of champagne for the two of us. We did not have any additional drinks besides the champagne. I did have the absolute best Black Truffle Mac and Cheese EVER! I actually thought it was reasonably priced considered where we were!

We had another great meal at Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel later that week that cost us about $170.00 for the two of us (and I was drinking at this one). Disneyland really has some great dinning locations!

sweetpee_1993

@devoy1701, glad you enjoyed. I thought the overall food quality and assortment out west was definitely a step up from the east coast.

Not sure I'd ever be brave enough to spend for anymore high-dollar meals with Disney anywhere. Unfortunately, every time I've spent the big bucks for what Disney touted as upper-level dining in the past I've walked away annoyed and/or disappointed. One of those was comped when we walked thru the door and I still found it a waste of time. Even for something they claim is exclusive and gets 99.9% all glowing reviews all over the place...I've heard it before, done it before, and it wasn't anywhere even close to what it was built up to be. So, no. Just no. Unless I'm sure my experience will be amazing, no. Disney hadn't proven themselves in that regard with me. So I'm still a solid nopity-nope.

What's the saying? Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. ???

I had a drink in 1901 in May. Nice lounge. Not the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. Overpriced drink but great service. Trader Sam's drinks were definitely better. I had plenty of those.

Steakhouse 55 was a good breakfast. Super slow service the morning we were there. Thoroughly enjoyed the guest at the other side of the restaurant reading someone the riot act over the phone in another language for a half hour. That made for a nice atmosphere. LOL!

In short, for me & Disney more bucks doesn't equate more quality. ;)

devoy1701

@devoy1701, glad you enjoyed. I thought the overall food quality and assortment out west was definitely a step up from the east coast.

Not sure I'd ever be brave enough to spend for anymore high-dollar meals with Disney anywhere. Unfortunately, every time I've spent the big bucks for what Disney touted as upper-level dining in the past I've walked away annoyed and/or disappointed. One of those was comped when we walked thru the door and I still found it a waste of time. Even for something they claim is exclusive and gets 99.9% all glowing reviews all over the place...I've heard it before, done it before, and it wasn't anywhere even close to what it was built up to be. So, no. Just no. Unless I'm sure my experience will be amazing, no. Disney hadn't proven themselves in that regard with me. So I'm still a solid nopity-nope.

What's the saying? Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. ???

I had a drink in 1901 in May. Nice lounge. Not the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. Overpriced drink but great service. Trader Sam's drinks were definitely better. I had plenty of those.

In short, for me & Disney more bucks doesn't equate more quality. ;)
so just a comment on that...I think it's something that WDW can get away with because we don't know any better. Most of the "finer diner establishments" are filled with people burning 2 dining credits from their free dining plan anyway and can't tell the difference prime rib and a strip steak. I'm not sure that Disneyland could get away with charging top dollar for a meal and not deliver upon a top-notch experience. Californians are kind of food snobs! I do think that i get more value for my money from a sit-down meal at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom