Planning a vacation to Tokyo DL.

draybook

Original Poster
Is there a site that does Tokyo Disney vacation packages, or am I better off using travel sites to book the flight + hotel and then adding tickets to TDL through their site? Also, when is the best time to visit during the year, both crowd and weather wise? Our kids are home schooled, so we can go whenever we like. Thanks!

lazyboy97o

You can only purchase tickets to Tokyo Disney Resort two months prior to your visit. They are print at home tickets that you do not exchange. They tell you a few times to print it on A4 paper, but that is not too important. What is important is that you have a good print out of the QR code, as that is what will be scanned for entry and at the FastPass kiosks.

Soarin2u

At Tokyo Disney? No day or time is really good, unless you like the winter.
I went on a School Day this year when I went back to Japan on a study tour. DisneyLand was full to capacity and Disney Sea was nearly the same.
But the best thing that I've noticed about the parks their are, you don't realize the crowds and they give out more fast passes. I know at Disney they sell out at 12-1, but I got there at that time and they still had fast passes at 5 for major rides like Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Be warned that the food is very Japanized, so sausage pizza is literally Japanese style hotdogs ontop of pizza, but its yummy.

Rain happens all the time in Japan, when I left Tokyo for the first time, we left a major unpredicted rainstorm that flooded the streets.

Japanese will be essential there, people do speak English, but its erm, not snazzy. So a translate book would be awesome. They also didn't give me an English map, but I assume they have them, so if you go just ask, "eigo de kudasai," and they'll understand.

Beware the stares. You are a foreigner, and noticeably one too, for people from less touristy areas of Japan, they will think you are some magical unicorn. A lot of double takes will happen.
Be on your best behavior.
I cannot emphasize this more.
Do not be loud, dont place chopsticks vertically, don't sit on the ground (you will be told to stand up) DON'T BE LOUD, bow when apprioate.
Yes you are in Disney, and you do get some cultural leeway, but impress the Japanese, be a good "ambassador" . Because they assume anyone who is white or speaks english is from the US.

Getting to Disney will murder you, the trains to Disney are a mess, figure out before you go the routes you will need to take.
If Tokyo train lines were string, it'd be a knot.

Lines will be longer (100-200 minutes) , but just be sure, as I said, to get fast passes and to get there early.

But I had a fanatastic time at Disney, outright gorgeous parks, with detail crushing that of WDW. People there are polite, and considerate and always willing to help. I loved the rides, and the atmosphere, and wish I could have experienced more that day.

I know I typed more, than what you want but the best advice I can give you to go tis during exams in Japan, but that's only in short spans in April/March, January, and Septmeber. And this is no promise to kill the crowds. (I went on Saturday, June 14 when school was still in session and some students would have their halfday Saturday school.)
The last two weeks in April will be your best shot.

Have an awesome time, Tokyo Disney is Amazing!
Oh and do you have an plans to see more of Tokyo when you arrive?

Last edited:

ThatBrunette

Japanese will be essential there, people do speak English, but its erm, not snazzy.

Do not be loud, dont place chopsticks vertically, don't sit on the ground (you will be told to stand up) DON'T BE LOUD, bow when apprioate.
Yes you are in Disney, and you do get some cultural leeway, but impress the Japanese, be a good "ambassador" . Because they assume anyone who is white or speaks english is from the US.

The last two weeks in April will be your best shot.

Yes, yes and yes! Hooray, more polite travelers.

My only changes...People sit for the parades and shows. Plastic parade mats are available in the shops and in the Daiso (100 yen) stores. Best idea ever. I wish the American parks would adopt the sitting.

The Japanese understand that, as Americans, bowing confuses us. A head nod is usually enough to convey politeness. You will get a better response from the Japanese if you learn a few polite phrases before traveling.

Our last visit was in April, the week before Easter. The crowds were manageable. People line up to get in the park one hour before rope drop. There is usually a run for certain FP rides.

Both parks have interesting popcorn flavors. Honey near Pooh's ride, curry near Agrabah and seasonal ones scattered around the parks. Popcorn buckets are a big collectible and can be refilled.

Tickets can also be purchased at the Disney Stores in Shibuya and Ginza. The pass system works differently than the ones in the US. Tickets must be purchased for a specific day and specific park. I think there is a multi-day/multi-park pass but, it needs to be 3 or more days and the first two days have to be specific parks.

If you are going to be out and about in Tokyo, check your TV listings for "Tokyo Eye". They have great ideas for traveling to and living in Tokyo.

The staring kinda freaked me out on my first trip.

lazyboy97o

Japanese will be essential there, people do speak English, but its erm, not snazzy. So a translate book would be awesome. They also didn't give me an English map, but I assume they have them, so if you go just ask, "eigo de kudasai," and they'll understand.

Beware the stares. You are a foreigner, and noticeably one too, for people from less touristy areas of Japan, they will think you are some magical unicorn. A lot of double takes will happen.
I cannot emphasize this more.

Getting to Disney will murder you, the trains to Disney are a mess, figure out before you go the routes you will need to take.
If Tokyo train lines were string, it'd be a knot.
This does not line up much with my experience. English is around in enough of the park signage and menus to navigate and the English maps are available at Guest Services. I never noticed any stares, even when off the beaten path. Nor do I find getting around on the JR East to be more complicated than any other place.

Soarin2u

This does not line up much with my experience. English is around in enough of the park signage and menus to navigate and the English maps are available at Guest Services. I never noticed any stares, even when off the beaten path. Nor do I find getting around on the JR East to be more complicated than any other place.

I typed this on a different post, but I stated that there was a lot of English on the signs and on the menus below the Japanese. I was making it a point that there isn't a great English speaker beyond the guest services. (in my experience). I went to the medical center there which even quoted that it had a English translator there 24/7 but it turned out to be a book of cheap medical phrases. Bless the heavens I had a host sister who figured out what was wrong and could translate. My Japanese does not expand anywhere into the field of medical words besides "______hurts."

Really? In Tokyo I can say the stares surely cut in half, but I did notice a lot of younger kids fascinated by a girl with red hair, and by teenagers . However in places like Maebashi and Kanazawa that don't get foreigners like Tokyo, I was definitely pointed at (mostly because I was in a group) and given some double takes. Sometimes its easier to blend in as a small couple or tiny family. Also some people notice the stares more than others. It was also a simple warning that it can happen. :)

Well, I have never been to large places like New York City where subway lines exist,so it may be true. So it may have appeared to me more confusing to me due to being inexperience.

jr_east_map.jpg

Can't deny that at first look, it appears kinda intimidating, especially the ones with itty bitty tiny English letters below the Japanese that are merely impossible to read. Still always a good idea to know which way you're heading.

Soarin2u

Yes, yes and yes! Hooray, more polite travelers.

My only changes...People sit for the parades and shows. Plastic parade mats are available in the shops and in the Daiso (100 yen) stores. Best idea ever. I wish the American parks would adopt the sitting.

The Japanese understand that, as Americans, bowing confuses us. A head nod is usually enough to convey politeness. You will get a better response from the Japanese if you learn a few polite phrases before traveling.

Our last visit was in April, the week before Easter. The crowds were manageable. People line up to get in the park one hour before rope drop. There is usually a run for certain FP rides.

Both parks have interesting popcorn flavors. Honey near Pooh's ride, curry near Agrabah and seasonal ones scattered around the parks. Popcorn buckets are a big collectible and can be refilled.

Tickets can also be purchased at the Disney Stores in Shibuya and Ginza. The pass system works differently than the ones in the US. Tickets must be purchased for a specific day and specific park. I think there is a multi-day/multi-park pass but, it needs to be 3 or more days and the first two days have to be specific parks.

If you are going to be out and about in Tokyo, check your TV listings for "Tokyo Eye". They have great ideas for traveling to and living in Tokyo.

The staring kinda freaked me out on my first trip.

The Japanese can be very understanding, and I love that! However, anywhere, its always best to try to impress! :D I did notice those mats, but to sit on the ground is considered 'unsanitary ' so I just quit doing it all together.

Bowing still confuses me on occasion. :confused: So I just do what I call the "chicken peck", which is bowing my head a few times quickly just in case.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
We just got back from a visit to Tokyo Disney Resort and I have to say that Disney Sea is the greatest of all the Disney Parks in the world that I have visited. I have been to 10 of the 11 parks. Everything was so wonderful. I went on a busy summer day so I two things I that I would like to comment on:

1. The crowds and the wait times where unbelievable. We had to plan in advance. We got to the park one hour before the Happy 15, a 15 minute window that Disney hotel guest could enter the park before it opened. There was lines already at every gate. We got in the Happy 15 line 45 minutes before it opened and there was already about 50 people ahead of us. There where thousands of people in the other lines. We planned what we would do first, walk fast to this area, get a fast pass, walk to another ride, get on early and than get a second in before the park became full. By then getting fast passes until they run out, we where able to avoid the 2 hour waiting times.

2. What is going on with Duffy the Bear? I purchased a Duffy at Walt Disney World for a lady in my office who's daughter was having a baby while we where at Tokyo Disney Resort. I was going to go to one of the two Duffy stores at Disney Sea and get a outfit for her Duffy. The wait to get into the store was over 2 hours long. To say the least, the new baby did not get a new outfit from there. I did watch people coming out of one of the Duffy the Bear stores and everyone coming out carrying bags full of bears. Every kid in the park had a Duffy or the cat that is now sold as Duffy friend. In the park there were Duffy Photo Spots. It was a little fold down seat where people put Duffy so they could take a picture of Duffy in front of a ride.

I will post some additional information when I get over the jet lag.

david10225

I am fulfilling a long time bucket list dream to go to Tokyo Disneyland later this month. I just booked the flight this weekend and am now in the process of nailing down the other details. I am very nervous about going, but if will put my fears aside if I really want to see this place. Regarding crowds, I am going to be by myself so I if I have to wait 2 hours to see something unique, then so be it as I will never be coming this way again.

BrerJon

I am fulfilling a long time bucket list dream to go to Tokyo Disneyland later this month. I just booked the flight this weekend and am now in the process of nailing down the other details. I am very nervous about going, but if will put my fears aside if I really want to see this place. Regarding crowds, I am going to be by myself so I if I have to wait 2 hours to see something unique, then so be it as I will never be coming this way again.

David, as long as you get to the park an hour or so before opening, and make liberal use of FastPass, you should be fine and never have to wait more than an hour for anything. It's really only Monsters, Pooh, Tower of Terror and Toy Story that get the epic lines, everything else is comparable to a busy day at Magic Kingdom.

Have a great time and do post here to let us know how you got on!

kdl121

My experience to TokyoDisneyland is limited ... a day at Disneyland and a day at DisneySea, a couple years ago. But what I can say is that the end of July is HUMID, and I learned that the hard way! lol

I didn't have any problems in term of language differences. No misunderstandings whatsoever :)

I remember two of my favorite meals, one was at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall and another was at the Crystal Palace Restaurant ... delicious! <3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom