Money Saving Tips BEFORE heading to WDW

RScottyL

What can you do with Disney cards? Is is for merchandise only or can you actually pay for trips with them?

If you are asking about the Disney Gift Cards, they can be used for ANYTHING!

They can be used for food, merchandise, hotel!

When we went, we started sticking money aside on that just for the food and souvenirs!

From http://www.disneygiftcard.com/home/

Give the Gift of Magic with Disney Gift Card.
The Disney Gift Card is an exciting way for family and friends to shop, dine, stay or play the Disney way. They'll use it just like cash for practically all things Disney nationwide at Disney Theme Parks and Resort Hotels, on Disney Cruise Line, at Disney Store, DisneyStore.com, at DisneyMusicStore.com and beyond. Choose from a number of magical designs. Your card will arrive in a custom enclosure with your personal message. The possibilities are endless!

Courtney6682

reduce cable services, forgo coffee, simplify telephone service, tax deductible donations, use Disney card for points... all acceptable ways to save money. DONATE BLOOD OR PLASMA. Now that is extreme! Nobody else thought so in the year it has been since the post! Man, you guys are hard core Disney fans.

I'm am literally laughing out loud!! Too funny...

There are tons and tons of little tiny ways to save or get money for Disney.

Take the Bing to ---> Swagbucks to ----> Paypal to ---> to Disney's website ----> to $25 Disney gift card mailed to your house way.

$60 from Bing yearly
Step 1 - search on Bing on your phone / computer. Save 475/525 points
Step 2 - redeem bing points for 500 swagbucks
Step 3 - redeem swagbucks and save them.
Step 4 - save swagbucks from until you have at least 2500 points
Step 5 - redeem 2500 swagbucks for $25 paypal e-gift card (which is the lowest paypal redemption on swagbucks)
Step 6 - redeem $25 paypal on Disney's website for physical $25 Disney gift card with free shipping to house
Step 7 - enjoy $25 Disney Gift yard
It takes about a month to earn 500 points on bing
So you can earn $60 a year on bing for about 3 mins of work a day.

Alternative...
Of course if you the Target red card, you can redeem 2500 swagbucks for $25 e-gift target giftcard and save 5% on $25 Disney Gift Card purchase at in store Target purchase...for a little extra 5% savings but at this point....gees...

COrunner

We do two things that has really helped our vacation budget.

1. Setup a savings account with free bill pay but no atm/checks. Our employers do direct deposit and we each put a little from each paycheck into that account. It's at a different bank than our normal savings/checking so it is almost an out of site, out of mind situation for us!

2. We have a monthly budget and a shared credit card, it is easy to see what your spending and there have definitely been months where if we splurged a little in the beginning that we just don't do anything the last few days. But the goal is to have money left over and when that is the case we do a bill pay to the vacation fund to put some more money in. Also we get the points from the credit card as an added bonus.

Disnee4Me

Original Poster
Update from this post two years ago --- the 2013 trip never happened --- just booked 2015. New tip: Pay down your medical expenses monthly on a credit card (my DH's brain aneurysm surgery last December left us over $3000 in debt), so I worked out monthly payments with every medical provider. As long as you stick to your monthly payments, it works out great. I've also found that earning $$$ on Discover can go even further since they run promotions where you can earn extra $$$.

kbelle

Best way to save some money-

Buy rain ponchos at dollar tree. They are easy to pack and you can toss when done.
Also buy cheap gloves- they are also at dollar tree. A simple pair of mickey gloves cost a fortune.
We also buy sunglasses at dollar tree. If they are lost or broken its not a big deal.

Bring a water bottle. You can refill it at fountain versus spending $2.50 at the park.

Bring your own snacks to the park (granola bars, fruit snacks) Churros are $4.00, Mickey Pretzels are $5.00

Pack light. No one is going to care if you wear the same thing more than once. We normally do a load of laundry mid-trip. It will save on baggage costs.

Share entrees, or order kid meals. Some of the adult portions are huge. We order water with our meals versus soft drinks.

Cost out the Disney Dining Plan before purchasing it. Take the total cost- divide by the days you will be there and then ask yourself if you really think you are going to eat more than $60 a day in food. When we had the plan we spent more time trying to get our meals in and less on the rides.

Dwarful

I like the fact of not having a landline. You already pay enough for cell phones and that's really all you need. I think you should have Internet but I also agree about not having a massive cable bill. I think you shouldn't cancel but how often do you flip through the channels on the weekend and realize nothing is on. Even if you aren't saving for a disney trip this is just common sense stuff. You can save nearly $100 per month by lowering a cable package and not having a landline.

we live on the outskirts of our community in a somewhat rural area. We switched our internet provider and saved quite a bit, but I couldn't give up our landline :( because every time we get bad weather we lose our cell reception. I hope someday more towers will be approved and we will get better service. I do just have the basic landline services...no call waiting, voicemail etc., so it doesn't cost as much.

In our area we pay individually for trash pick up. Three of our neighbors have pooled together share one pick up service. They are all older couples with no kids...but it makes sense. The trash pick up is twice a week and costs $45 a month. Now, for them its down to $15 each month. If you get creative and stick to a budget there are ways to shave expenses without it being obvious. Although, as much as I love vacation...I know I couldn't do the blood / plasma thing.

Hisgal2

We just started saving up (and researching like crazy) for our family's first trip to WDW (squeeee!!!!). I have 2 containers sitting right in the middle of our dining room table for saving money for the trip. There is an empty oatmeal canister with a slot cut into the lid for the change and a large wine bottle for the paper money (both decorated in Mickey, of course!). Any spare cash we have gets rolled up and shoved into the wine bottle and because the neck is long, it's impossible to get the money out without breaking the bottle.....thus, no pilfering of the Disney savings. My kids have 'work for hire' jobs that they can do to earn money after they do their normal household responsibilities. We've negotiated pay rates for those things and every Saturday they get paid for what was done during the week. They've both decided their pay will go straight into the savings jars. Also, I put 50 cents per chapter book they read (they are 1st and 2nd grades, so books with chapters in them are a big deal) into the jar.

Also, we save a bunch of money on souvenirs anywhere we go by doing the same thing. I buy each of the kids 1 or 2 canisters of mini M&M's and let them have a treat. Then, I take the canisters and stack quarters and pennies in each of them like this: 2 quarters, 1 penny, 2 quarters, 1 penny, etc.). Wherever we go for vacation, my kids carry those canisters and look for the penny squisher machines (there's a penny finder app for smartphones...that app is GREAT!). So, for 51 cents, your kid has a little souvenir that they got to pick out and in some places, even squish. We have pennies from all over the place: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (we live in PA), Cape May, Wildwood, OBX, Myrtle Beach, Alaska. They each have a book that they put the pennies in and its fun to look at the different designs.

Kaznagan

Not only a fund saver but a bit of a spring clean I've gone with a friend a few times to our local car boot sales selling clothes I dont wear and things around the house that I didn't need. Not only were they great days spent with a friend but we made some money as well what ever we didn't sell we donated to charity at the end of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom