Runner's High

JillC LI

Original Poster
So just out of curiosity, how many of you would say that you have achieved a runner's high? If so, how often? And how would you describe it?

For me, I would say that in 19 years of running, I have felt what I would call a runner's high maybe 5 times. I would decribe it as a sensation that my legs are just flying through the air without effort, and I am enjoying the run so much that I don't ever want to stop.

I was recently reading a post by an acquaintance on FB who said she hates to exercise and that runners must only run because of that runner's high. In light of how infrequently it happens to me, if I only ran to get a runner's high, I would have stopped before I ever got started. Do I feel really good about myself and have those endorphins pumping after my runs? Yes. But I wouldn't call that a runner's high because I didn't feel it DURING my run. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Texas84

I usually start feeling something around 8-9 miles and sometimes skip my breaks but don't know if that is really a high. Just a good feeling like everything starts working.

I always get the finish high. Always.

The best one might have been marathon two at mile 22. Major high. I had to walk it in with Brandi because she had bad foot cramps but I was bouncing around and driving her crazy. Though that might have been due to the Tylenol from the med tent.

kap91

Running for any distance is one of the most unpleasant activities I can imagine. Perhaps my endorphin system doesn't work correctly but the idea do feeling better after a run than I did before it seems ludicrous. I mean sure I feel good that I've done it in the same way one might feel accomplished at solving a particularly difficult sodoku; but that doesn't translate into physically feeling well. So no, a runners high has definitely never occurred. :-(. If running felt like sex, drugs, or eating chocolate perhaps I'd actually want to do it. In the meanwhile I'll focus on brisk walking.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Running for any distance is one of the most unpleasant activities I can imagine. Perhaps my endorphin system doesn't work correctly but the idea do feeling better after a run than I did before it seems ludicrous. I mean sure I feel good that I've done it in the same way one might feel accomplished at solving a particularly difficult sodoku; but that doesn't translate into physically feeling well. So no, a runners high has definitely never occurred. :-(. If running felt like sex, drugs, or eating chocolate perhaps I'd actually want to do it. In the meanwhile I'll focus on brisk walking.

I don't always feel good while running, but I always feel good afterwards (barring injury). Conversely, I always feel good while eating chocolate, but I often feel bad afterwards. I would say that you have to become a regular runner and get over the huffing and puffing phase before you feel really good after every run.

kap91

I don't always feel good while running, but I always feel good afterwards (barring injury). Conversely, I always feel good while eating chocolate, but I often feel bad afterwards. I would say that you have to become a regular runner and get over the huffing and puffing phase before you feel really good after every run.
There was a time not too long ago when I'd run 2-3 miles every morning. Did it for about six months until I found myself dreading to get up every morning trying to find whatever reason I could to avoid it and finally said "this is ridiculous, there's no point in doing an excercise that makes you try to avoid it. Hence the switch to walking - which I don't mind nearly as much and more importantly therefore can keep up.

I occasionally do rundisney races too (although unfortunately I had to miss the last after I had already paid due to work obligations) - I keep up the pace, you just won't see me running for 99% of it. Anyway, sorry for hijacking the topic.

JillC LI

Original Poster
@kap91, whatever gets you moving is good in my book. Honestly, I would get burned out as well running 2-3 miles every single morning. I don't run more than 3-4 times per week. Different distances. Different routes. I try to keep it fresh and interesting. But that's great that you have participated in runDisney events!

Mr mom

In the early days the high would come after about 10 miles but now it takes much more because my body is so used to running( well, was) I would say my last true high came on about mile 15 or 16 of my last 20 miler and that was a while ago. That run ended up over 22 miles if I remember correctly because I was so pumped.

Mr mom

It is when I stop that I really feel good, that feeling of accomplishment and a job well done. I think it goes hand in hand with my work ethic, there is a job to do and you do it and you do it to the best of your ability, it is not about what you get out of it but that you committed to do it. So barring anything impossible happening you will do it and no excuses. If I said I will then I will and then having done so, an almost in your face see I did it. weird I know but the odd part is that I am the person That I am saying it to.

LindsayLoves

Jill - I agree with you. Yes on experiencing regular pumping up of endorphins after a run but the actual "runner's high" is very rare. It only comes maybe once or twice a year and generally happens on training runs more than in races for me. Races I am usually so focused on a goal and pushing myself that it doesn't feel easy or super fun for that matter. But those training runs when your legs are moving effortlessly, your breath is easy, and you just want to tack on a few more miles is where its at.

OG Runner

For me, it has always been a combination of things. One is, as previously described above, you feel like you are just flying, you want to go faster and your body actually says okay. The times I have experience it, it has let the
miles go by at a great clip and yet they felt effortless. I was lucky a few years ago to have it happen during a race. I had been training and running races at an 8:00 to 8:30 pace. I was in a 5 miler and everything clicked and I came in, in under 7:30 a mile and still felt great. It is a feeling I hope everyone will have a some time.

diddy_mouse

I know during my first 5K I got that feeling the last .5 As soon as I saw the finish I knew wanted to go faster and my body was like 'yes! you can do it!'. When I did a 10K the following year, I had a great feeling at the start but I was not as elated when I got closer to the finish. My body hurt and the weather was miserable. I was happy I kept pushing through but there wasn't really a high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom