Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Where did you see this? The runDisney page now shows the marathon at 50% and Goofy must be below 50% because it's not listed.
It's on the registration page and has been there since yesterday:
Untitled.jpg

No idea why they haven't updated the bars yet.

Disney Dawg88

Wow. Is this a record for this event?

This absolutely has to be a record for the half to sell out in 3 days. In all the years I've run this I am SHOCKED that it is full now and I don't know what I'm going to do as I've been out of town and missed sign up. It usually takes months for the half to fill up, I've signed up some years in November, and I just can't believe this. Even the marathon is 70% full and I've never seen that either. Something must be up . . .

ToTBellHop

This absolutely has to be a record for the half to sell out in 3 days. In all the years I've run this I am SHOCKED that it is full now and I don't know what I'm going to do as I've been out of town and missed sign up. It usually takes months for the half to fill up, I've signed up some years in November, and I just can't believe this. Even the marathon is 70% full and I've never seen that either. Something must be up . . .
Yes. This event's popularity is up.

OG Runner

Soon it will be like that episode of the "Big Bang Theory" when they are trying to get tickets for Comic-Con.
Okay, 5 seconds to sign-up for the Disney Marathon weekend. 10 seconds later, everything is sold out.

FerretAfros

Soon it will be like that episode of the "Big Bang Theory" when they are trying to get tickets for Comic-Con.
Okay, 5 seconds to sign-up for the Disney Marathon weekend. 10 seconds later, everything is sold out.
I take it that you haven't tried to register for one of the DL races, which have been known to sell out in under an hour. Even some of the big marathons that have switched to a lottery have had ridiculous registration processes. When I saw that BBT episode, the Active crashes were all I could think of

fruitfruit

Does anyone know if you can submit a time for the 10k? On the website they just talk about submitting for the marathon and half.

How were the corrals set up last year? Is it dependent on how fast you claim your pace will be when you signed up?

I was hoping to use this race to get a corral placement for the Tower 10 miler, but I am a little worried I am going to be placed too far back to get a good time.

LindsayLoves

Totally heard a table of people across from me at brunch on Saturday talking about how one of their friends signed up for Dopey and was absolutely bonkers for doing so because 1. all the races back to back 2. the money, they really railed on her for that. Not every day you hear people talking about runDisney in NYC.

Ariel484

Does anyone know if you can submit a time for the 10k? On the website they just talk about submitting for the marathon and half.

How were the corrals set up last year? Is it dependent on how fast you claim your pace will be when you signed up?

I was hoping to use this race to get a corral placement for the Tower 10 miler, but I am a little worried I am going to be placed too far back to get a good time.
Welcome!! :)

It doesn't look like it - like you said, they only talk about the half marathon and marathon. I'm not sure how the corrals were set up last year but if they aren't asking for proof, I'd guess it's based on whatever pace you estimated when you registered.

Personally, I wouldn't use this race as proof for the ToT 10-miler. This is the 10K course:
2014_Walt-Disney-World-5K-10K-Course-Map.jpg

You can see that it goes through Epcot and around the Epcot Resort Area. I haven't run this course yet but I have run through those areas...they are NARROW and I'm guessing there will be bottlenecks. I think you may want to look into a local 10K in case you get slowed down at the WDW 10K, just so have a back-up for ToT 2015.

Anyone who has run the 10K want to jump in???
Totally heard a table of people across from me at brunch on Saturday talking about how one of their friends signed up for Dopey and was absolutely bonkers for doing so because 1. all the races back to back 2. the money, they really railed on her for that. Not every day you hear people talking about runDisney in NYC.
AWKWARD! :D

dreamfinder

If there is nothing on the site, then email disneysports@trackshack.com. I don't recall entering an estimated pace, but I've only signed up as part of a challenge. But that email is where they would accept times for placement. The corrals are seeded based off of estimated finish time, but there is like 5-10 minutes between the corrals, so it's fairly spaced out.

You can see that it goes through Epcot and around the Epcot Resort Area. I haven't run this course yet but I have run through those areas...they are NARROW and I'm guessing there will be bottlenecks. I think you may want to look into a local 10K in case you get slowed down at the WDW 10K, just so have a back-up for ToT 2015.

Running a local race is always a good thing. Odds are your local 10k won't have 9-10k runners. Even with the new corrals, each corral easily has as many runners as most local 10ks. At a minimum, the start area can get a bit full and take a few minutes to get up to stride. That said, I've both run a 44 min 10K on this course (solo), as well as a 90 min 10K on this course (with my DW). Epcot itself had some bottleneck where you enter and leave. (China and International Gateway) But nothing compared to some of the congestion I've seen on World Drive towards the later corrals from the half, or most of the DLR in park course.

lukacseven

No matter how good I feel or how well I feel I ran, my Disney race times have always been slow. Maybe I'm too distracted watching characters and costumed runners, but part of it is definitely certain slow/narrow spots on the courses.

fruitfruit

If there is nothing on the site, then email disneysports@trackshack.com. I don't recall entering an estimated pace, but I've only signed up as part of a challenge. But that email is where they would accept times for placement. The corrals are seeded based off of estimated finish time, but there is like 5-10 minutes between the corrals, so it's fairly spaced out.

Running a local race is always a good thing. Odds are your local 10k won't have 9-10k runners. Even with the new corrals, each corral easily has as many runners as most local 10ks. At a minimum, the start area can get a bit full and take a few minutes to get up to stride. That said, I've both run a 44 min 10K on this course (solo), as well as a 90 min 10K on this course (with my DW). Epcot itself had some bottleneck where you enter and leave. (China and International Gateway) But nothing compared to some of the congestion I've seen on World Drive towards the later corrals from the half, or most of the DLR in park course.
Welcome!! :)

It doesn't look like it - like you said, they only talk about the half marathon and marathon. I'm not sure how the corrals were set up last year but if they aren't asking for proof, I'd guess it's based on whatever pace you estimated when you registered.

Personally, I wouldn't use this race as proof for the ToT 10-miler. This is the 10K course:
2014_Walt-Disney-World-5K-10K-Course-Map.jpg

I don't know what I was thinking. There is no way I am going to get a good time for placement on this race. I am going to be having too much fun taking pictures :) I think a local race will be the way to go. I was hoping I could use the Peachtree Road Race but it's a few days after the cut off they implemented for this year's race. There are tons of 10k races in Atlanta so I am sure I will find a good one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom