Spring Training Anyone?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Like I said, that picture is the best I could find, because there are no other pictures I could really find. The only other alternative to Goofy is to do one themed to the train, but again, there has to be a backstory to that, and I'm not very good at coming up with that kind of thing on my own.

Well, that's why a lot of these competitions (including this one when it really kicks off) are team ventures.

This is about the fun of designing things, and the "world" you'd like to see. The fantasy of being able to say, yes, I have a great idea, and I think it could work!

I'm better at some things than many of my competators. I can plan out a menu like a champ (because I like to cook and I've worked in restaurants), I am good at business and financial / practical challenges (because I've run many businesses, including entertainment based ones, and I get it). I am not the most inventive (hence why I shelled out a used IP with a unique application rather than come up with one on my own like the other two who have already posted have)...

My point is, NONE of us are know it alls, and NONE of us are the best. We are best as a team, and that's why we like to play the game. Not to win, per se, but to see what magic we can imagine together.

Not that winning isn't important, it's still a competition! But, don't take any remarks to heart. At heart, we all respect each other, and know we are capable of amazing ideas and thoughts.

And that's what it is about.

Sometimes you'll do great, sometimes you won't. That's life.

I'm not looking for reasons WHY it won't or could work, but HOW. That's what this boils down, too, is how.
Yes, and that is the point of the comp. It's up to you to figure out "how", just like we all have to figure out "how"...

No idea is bad. They are all good. The question is...how good.

Will I lose to @MonorailRed because she came up with a unique food item that could easily be marketed (like the Turkey Legs) as a unique experience to Disney and tied it in with a convoluted backstory? Possibly.

But, she also ignored the surrouding area when placing her food stand. Pecos Bills and the Turkey Legs (and a variety of other eateries) already dominate the area.

<shrug>

Will I lose to @RMicheal21? Possibly. He has an original back story and stuck with a great theme with a nice presentation.

That's the gamble.

Only the competition host knows the answer. I could win, I could lose. In either case, I had fun.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've decided not to join up after all. I'm too tired anyway and I've got a lot of school stuff to worry about.
Well, that is your choice.

But, I'll mention this, since I'm the "old fart" on these sorts of things (I think I'm the oldest one here, actually)...

Focusing on education is important. However, so is focusing on presentation.

Life isn't so much about what you know. You can be a really smart person, and know a lot of things, but the reality is...

A lot of people know what you know (or are going to college to know) and they've gone to college and been there and done that and I guarantee they are not going to be awed by the fact you went to college and "suffered" through it.

It's still about presentation. And, in life, like college assignments, you don't get to dictate the rules.

My point is, being busy because you are truly busy is different than dismissing a mental exercise you were obviously interested in...until you found out that it had to be limited (at least in this case) to WDW. That's just being silly.

You had the time before, but because it didn't fit your limited requirements, now you are "busy" and a "student".

Look...

These comps are not always about content. One's content and ideas may be superior, but you still lose due to an inferior presentation. Or because the team couldn't pull something together. I've seen this more than once.

I'm not saying that presentation is more important than concepts or ideas in the long run, but in the short run, it is. Being able to COMMUNICATE ideas is important.

Take, for example, if you want a job straight out of college (a complaint I see often).

Applicant A) Well, I went to college and got a degree in computer science. It was alright, lots of work. I worked really hard. Right now, though, I just need a job.

Applicant B) Well, I did a bit of research into your company and what services you provide. It seems, and I could be wrong, that your primary market is compliance. I feel that I could bring a lot to the organization, as I understand that these applications are important, and I find the mission interesting. I mean, who hasn't had to deal with a faulty memory? Nothing is better than knowing what really happened, and that is what compliance is, right? Being able to prove what really happened. It becomes even more important during litigation. I'd really enjoy a chance to work with you all to learn how you do things, and later help figure out how to provide the best solutions for these sorts of situations to our customers.

Yeah...which would you hire? Presentation is important. And these competitions help teach you how to present an idea, quickly and efficiently.

Many times in a professional environment you are going to be asked to spit out something quickly. You won't get months or weeks to "stew" on it. Not if you want to succeed. Rather, you'll need to be able to spit out something that explains your idea, and they'll want it by the weekly manager meeting.

Will it need to be perfect? No. Will it need to be final? No. But it will need to exist.

These challenges are an excellent mental exercise, as there is no real world fallout.

You participate, or you don't. They are perfect because no one really cares but you and possibly those you compete with (either on your team or against you) and the challenge host.

But, join or not, doesn't matter to me. I am sad to see you go. I wish we could all have shared in your fresh ideas. But, you keep them from us.

Don't pay me any mind. I have a high school education. I'm derpy derp and well known as the forum charity case. You have important college stuff to do, I suspect.

Derp.gif

Last edited:

JokersWild

Dan & Don’s Drive-In: The Drive-In That Drives to You!
By JokersWild​

The Experience
You’re finally back at Walt Disney World. Today is the day that you’ve set aside to go to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and, as with the other parks, you are right there for rope drop. 10 am on the dot and the gates are open. You and about 1,000 other people rush through the gates, eager to go on some of the biggest rides in all of Walt Disney World. As you make your way down Hollywood Boulevard, you notice something...strange. Careening around the corner from Sunset Boulevard is a large, very 1930s-looking bus. It is blueish, but obviously worn, slightly rusty, and...part of the side has been cut out? Strange. Curious, you make your way towards the bus.
You and a few other guests crowd around the bus as it parks right up against one of the sidewalks on Hollywood Boulevard. Suddenly, and very loudly, a voice can be heard from a set of old-looking speakers attached to the front of the bus, just above its windshield.
“Come one, come all. Try the best food in all of Hollywood. You might even discover some unfound talent here at Dan and Don’s Drive-In: The Drive-in That Drives to You!”
What? A food truck and streetmosphere? Great! Curious, you inch closer to the bus.
As you get closer, the passenger door to the bus opens and a tall, and rather good-looking guy steps out. He walks around the bus and stands next to the bus, greeting the various passers-by. Soon, he works his way to the back, opens its back door and pulls out a small table and a set of chairs. In one quick move, he also puts a dingy-looking table cloth and a sad-looking rose on the table.
Getting closer to the bus, you realize that the hole in its side is a counter for ordering. As you approach, the driver of the bus gets up out of his seat and makes his way towards the counter. He is normal height wearing a shirt and tie with a sweater vest. His black hair is slicked back and he wears a pencil moustache which rests atop a never-fading smile. Reaching the counter, he greets you.
“Ah! Hello. Welcome to Dan and Don’s Drive-In. My name is Dan - Dan Wood: writer and director. My counterpart over there is Don Burwell: an aspiring actor. I write, he acts. We’re the perfect team! Y’know, if you know any studio suits, give our names a little drop. We’ve been looking for work. This truck isn’t helping as much as we hoped it would. Now what do ya want?”
Looking behind Dan, you notice a chalkboard hanging towards on the opposite side of the bus, behind a grill, at which a chef works diligently. Crudely written on the chalkboard are only a few items: hamburgers, hotdogs, and a few specialty fry concoctions; coupled with sodas, of course. You order and quickly receive your carefully-wrapped food from the ever-smiling Dan. You pay.
“Thank you.” Says Dan. “Enjoy your day and make sure to take a look at the paper your food is wrapped in. And make sure to spread the word on us.”
As you try to leave the truck, you are stopped by Don. He quickly corrals you towards the table, asking you to sit and enjoy your food. As you sit he shakes your hand.
“Hello. My name is Don Burwell. I’m an aspiring actor trying to make it big in Hollywood. You looked like someone important, so I thought I’d give you the VIP table. Dan always tells me to look out for important-looking people. ‘You never know who you could stroll up’ he always says. Haven’t found any work yet, though. I’m sure we’ll find some soon, though. Dan says he’s given his scripts to some very important people. And he’s dropped my name too, of course. His scripts really are good. We’re gonna go far someday. So, how are your fries? Do you need anything? Salt, pepper, ketchup?”
You tell him no as he walks away to sift through the other guests, reciting lines from famous plays and movies in desperate attempts at selling himself. You also get up from the table and begin walking while enjoying your food. As you see, Don has found another group of guests who he has deemed “important-looking” and has seated them at the VIP table. After the onslaughts from both Dan and Don, you begin to walk and enjoy your fries.
The fries, as you had hoped, are amazing. Once getting through the fries, you remember to take a look at the paper your fries were wrapped in. Taking a quick look before throwing it out, you notice that the paper is an excerpt from one of Dan’s scripts. You quickly read part of his script “The Cat Cries For No One.” It is absolutely awful. No wonder the pair are still serving fries to the uncaring masses. Dan’s writing is horrible.
An hour or two later, as you walk Hollywood Boulevard once more, you hear another announcement from Dan and Don’s bus.
“We are sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but we must be leaving. i have just been informed of a very important opportunity…(under breath) -yeah. that sounds right- and we will be departing. Thank you for your patronage. You can look for us in the pictures.”
Don reloads the bus as it speed back down towards Sunset Boulevard. Following the bus a bit, you notice that it has really just set up shop once more on Sunset Boulevard, continuing their shtick at a new location.

Location, Location, Location
Dan & Don’s Drive-In, as mentioned previously, would be placed in Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Since it is able to move, it will be able to alternate between these locations throughout the day. It would be on Hollywood Boulevard for half the day, and on Sunset Boulevard for the other half. Simple as that.

Studio Catering
Dan & Don’s Drive-In will have a rather unique type of food: specialty fries. Each fry comes with special toppings that will make them one of the most beloved food items in all of Walt Disney World. For those looking for something a little more than a snack, hamburgers and hotdogs will also be served from the bus. The menu is as follows. Prices are not listed because I have no grasp on how much food should cost.

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hotdog
Plain French Fries
Poutine
- French fries smothered in gravy with cheese curds.
Greek Fries - Basically a gyro on fries.
Cobb Fries - The Brown Derby’s staple Cobb Salad updated for a new generation. Bacon, chicken, avocado, tomato, egg, and blue cheese atop a heap of fries smothered in a red wine vinaigrette.

Simple menu, but affective.

A Cast of Characters
What makes Dan & Don’s unique is that the two employees (not including the chef) of this stand are actual actors. Dan Wood is the typical failing-but-smart director who thinks that he’s amazing, but is actually complete garbage. Don Burwell is an aspiring actor. He’s a bit simple-minded, and depends on Dan for most everything. If he could get past Dan and his ideas, Don could actually probably make it in the movies as he seems to actually be a good actor.
Dan and Don met in Hollywood and they quickly became friends. Dan’s street-smart attitude made it incredibly easy for him to lead Don. The two became a duo, hopping from studio to studio trying to push their work, but it was getting them nowhere. One day, Dan came up with an amazing idea: the easiest way to sell themselves would be to sell themselves to the masses. And the easiest way to do that would be with food. Putting that food in a bus made it even easier as they would be able to get around town fast, selling to more people and thus making more people aware of their work. And, of course, making some money along the way wouldn’t hurt either. The pair pooled their money together (of course Don payed a bit more than Dan did) and they bought themselves a truck which they would modify and turn into a moving restaurant. The rest is history.

The Making Of
Why would I choose something like this? DHS has really been declining over the years. Most disturbing of all is that the park’s streetmosphere is quickly being forgotten by many casual visitors. Dan & Don’s really brings back the streetmosphere in a huge way. It literally puts guests in the story. I also felt that it would make for an incredibly unique experience. I also thought the idea of the starving artist selling food to get their names out was a funny idea.

RMichael21

Well, since ya'll are hungry...here's other things I've made.

Cheddar Bay Biscuits (like the ones at Red Lobster)

12078893953_b4c64328ac_b.jpg

Petros Style Chili

11629802443_c09bcdb881_b.jpg

whatsapetro.png

Just a burger with homemade fries...

12246809423_5362941dfb_b.jpg

Beef Wellington

12263761203_e5bbb6c998_b.jpg

This is what the wellington looked like out of the oven before slicing and plating.

12530455703_0796d454d3_z.jpg

Chicken Parm with house made marinara sauce

12981084224_a394cc1091_z.jpg

Homemade Pizza (everything, sauce, dough, everything)

13525132993_022cd27e3a_k.jpg

All Meat Slice
13524972455_fc4f2ec6a2_b.jpg

Combo Slice
13525099723_989525253f_b.jpg

Bacon Spinach and Fried Green Tomato sandwich with spicy serrano pepper homemade mayo served with Potato Soup
13576496455_f6dc897e33_k.jpg

Avocado Eggs in a Basket (Sourdough with an avocado slice and a fried egg)

13929519821_a48a013f6a.jpg

Hard to explain, but here's what the inside looks like...to give you an idea
13929537062_007bdc5402.jpg

And, remember Vinos Ceasar Salad made tableside from SA? This is it in real life.

12025565385_740f975434_b.jpg
:jawdrop:. Its 8:00 in the morning and you already made me hungry for dinner. Is there anyway I can get the recipes for the Beef Wellington and The chicken parmesan? Don't tell her I said this, but these dishes look even better then my Grandmother's. (And she is a pretty darn good cook).

RMichael21

Well, that is your choice.

But, I'll mention this, since I'm the "old fart" on these sorts of things (I think I'm the oldest one here, actually)...

Focusing on education is important. However, so is focusing on presentation.

Life isn't so much about what you know. You can be a really smart person, and know a lot of things, but the reality is...

A lot of people know what you know (or are going to college to know) and they've gone to college and been there and done that and I guarantee they are not going to be awed by the fact you went to college and "suffered" through it.

It's still about presentation. And, in life, like college assignments, you don't get to dictate the rules.

My point is, being busy because you are truly busy is different than dismissing a mental exercise you were obviously interested in...until you found out that it had to be limited (at least in this case) to WDW. That's just being silly.

You had the time before, but because it didn't fit your limited requirements, now you are "busy" and a "student".

Look...

These comps are not always about content. One's content and ideas may be superior, but you still lose due to an inferior presentation. Or because the team couldn't pull something together. I've seen this more than once.

I'm not saying that presentation is more important than concepts or ideas in the long run, but in the short run, it is. Being able to COMMUNICATE ideas is important.

Take, for example, if you want a job straight out of college (a complaint I see often).

Applicant A) Well, I went to college and got a degree in computer science. It was alright, lots of work. I worked really hard. Right now, though, I just need a job.

Applicant B) Well, I did a bit of research into your company and what services you provide. It seems, and I could be wrong, that your primary market is compliance. I feel that I could bring a lot to the organization, as I understand that these applications are important, and I find the mission interesting. I mean, who hasn't had to deal with a faulty memory? Nothing is better than knowing what really happened, and that is what compliance is, right? Being able to prove what really happened. It becomes even more important during litigation. I'd really enjoy a chance to work with you all to learn how you do things, and later help figure out how to provide the best solutions for these sorts of situations to our customers.

Yeah...which would you hire? Presentation is important. And these competitions help teach you how to present an idea, quickly and efficiently.

Many times in a professional environment you are going to be asked to spit out something quickly. You won't get months or weeks to "stew" on it. Not if you want to succeed. Rather, you'll need to be able to spit out something that explains your idea, and they'll want it by the weekly manager meeting.

Will it need to be perfect? No. Will it need to be final? No. But it will need to exist.

These challenges are an excellent mental exercise, as there is no real world fallout.

You participate, or you don't. They are perfect because no one really cares but you and possibly those you compete with (either on your team or against you) and the challenge host.

But, join or not, doesn't matter to me. I am sad to see you go. I wish we could all have shared in your fresh ideas. But, you keep them from us.

Don't pay me any mind. I have a high school education. I'm derpy derp and well known as the forum charity case. You have important college stuff to do, I suspect.

Derp.gif
The Wise Words of englanddg! :D But really, well said.

mharrington

Well, maybe I will stay after all. I was very tired when I posted everything and was going to bed shortly afterward. But after seeing how perfect all those food cart ideas are, I felt, how can I possibly do something as good as they do?

[...]

In the case of Imagineering, when I create things like these, it usually takes me a very long time to do them. I'm not used to doing things like these in a very short time.

That's the thing with me. When I do things such as for Imagineering, they should be final. As I mentioned on another thread, when I create threads of my own, they show that my

I've decided to stay after all, but I need help with the food cart idea. I was under the impression that everyone would have to work on it by themselves, alone, without any help at all. One reason why I had thought about dropping out was because I had seen some of these ideas for food carts (and everyone all seeming to be really hungry for such), which featured enormous descriptions that all just seem perfect and final. The only thing I can think of here, in the case of Storybook Circus, is something over by the train station.

Since there's already so many characters in the area, I guess the theme could be something with Huey, Dewey and Louie. Maybe they are running a food cart there and are actually very good vendors. The idea is partially based on Tokyo Disneyland's Toontown's food spot, Huey, Dewey and Louie's Goodtime Cafe.

That's all I can think of, though.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, maybe I will stay after all. I was very tired when I posted everything and was going to bed shortly afterward. But after seeing how perfect all those food cart ideas are, I felt, how can I possibly do something as good as they do?

In the case of Imagineering, when I create things like these, it usually takes me a very long time to do them. I'm not used to doing things like these in a very short time.

That's the thing with me. When I do things such as for Imagineering, they should be final. As I mentioned on another thread, when I create threads of my own, they show that my

I've decided to stay after all, but I need help with the food cart idea. I was under the impression that everyone would have to work on it by themselves, alone, without any help at all. One reason why I had thought about dropping out was because I had seen some of these ideas for food carts (and everyone all seeming to be really hungry for such), which featured enormous descriptions that all just seem perfect and final. The only thing I can think of here, in the case of Storybook Circus, is something over by the train station.

Since there's already so many characters in the area, I guess the theme could be something with Huey, Dewey and Louie. Maybe they are running a food cart there and are actually very good vendors. The idea is partially based on Tokyo Disneyland's Toontown's food spot, Huey, Dewey and Louie's Goodtime Cafe.

That's all I can think of, though.
Glad to have you back. New faces are always welcome.

The actual comp will be a team challenge, so don't worry about this one. It's just a pre-challenge mostly to peak interest in the comp.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
:jawdrop:. Its 8:00 in the morning and you already made me hungry for dinner. Is there anyway I can get the recipes for the Beef Wellington and The chicken parmesan? Don't tell her I said this, but these dishes look even better then my Grandmother's. (And she is a pretty darn good cook).
I'll message them to you.

MonorailRed

Applebees
I missed a ton :confused:

But, she also ignored the surrouding area when placing her food stand. Pecos Bills and the Turkey Legs (and a variety of other eateries) already dominate the area.

<shrug>

tumblr_mctvpbPY7k1rrkdbp.gif

Considering my cart's back by Big Thunder (where there might be one Turkey Leg cart by the two Mountains at the most) and yours is a few steps away from Pizza Planet, Writers Stop and Mamma Melrose... That as a negative doesn't make any sense. :confused:

mharrington

My goodness, so many gifs! I hope there are fewer of these in the future. They are very distracting and they slow the computer down.

Anyway, I finally found a small something to do here:

Huey, Dewey and Louie's Freezy Treatsies
There needs to be a better name, but that was the best I could think of on short notice. Anyway, this is to be located in Storybook Circus at the Magic Kingdom. Notice that I said "Storybook Circus" without mentioning "Fantasyland". That's because, in my plan, Storybook Circus will be separated from Fantasyland and set up as its own land. I picked my food spot over here because, Big Top Treats (inside the main shop here) notwithstanding, there really is no snack spot here, besides a hot dog wagon. Look on the view in the shot where it says "Fantasyland Station", right next to the blue wagon. The snack spot will be right in front of that:
13979175665_167e7a21d6_o.png

Backstory
As so many other Disney characters had joined the circus (based on the posters seen around the area), so, too, have those three troublemaking nephews of Donald Duck (AKA the Astounding Donaldo), Huey, Dewey and Louie. Circuses usually have sweet treats for the visitors, so that's where this circus wagon comes in. Between this and Big Top Treats, there are now plenty of opportunities for sweets and treats to abound. However, so as not to compete with Big Top Treats, which has "circus snacks galore", Huey, Dewey and Louie specialize in cold stuff, including ice cream, soda, ice water and even Goofy's Glaciers, also found at Big Top Treats. Who would have thought that Huey, Dewey and Louie were such good vendors?

Menu
Ice cream (cones, sandwiches and Mickey-shaped bars)
Popsicles
Iced coffees
Goofy's Glaciers
Frozen lemonade
Coca-Cola soft drinks
Ice water

Why here?
I chose this area of the Magic Kingdom because there really needs to be more spots for snacks here and you can never have enough spots for cold snacks, especially on a hot day so prevalent in Florida.

Anyway, there's my inclusion. It was kind of thrown together, sorry about that.

Matt7187

Dhakwa's Sweet Stand (Written in Nepali with translation on sign)
Location: This would be placed across from Expedition Everest in AK, replacing the gift stand.

Backstory: This stand was created by the Dhakwa family and run by them. Due to seeing a huge increase of tourism because of the new Mount Everest tours, they decided that they could make a few quick rupees if they sold sweets made by Shunita, the mother and wife of the household. The husband and son of the family made a cart out of scraps, mainly brass and wood, to hold the sweets. The stand is worked by all members of the family; mother Shunita, father Bishal, 19 year old son Mimek, and 16 year old daughter Heena (The workers will all fit this demographic, use those names on their name tag, and also will be from the Nepal region).

Offerings: Everything here will be authentic Nepal, no Mickey's Premiums or soft pretzels.

Snacks​
Jeri- Jeri is pretty much a Nepalian donut. Always a good option.

Chocolate Barfi- Do not get turned off by the name, it is a delicious treat for the chocolate craver. Made from milk, sugar, and cocoa, it is a great brownie like dessert. (Thing on left is barfi)
1da2dc6d48a21e7b3500505f738f0890_zps43217286.jpg

Jilphi- Jilphi are crunchy little snacks made from only wheat flower, flavoring, and sugar, of course. Sold in four different flavors; orange, banana, chocolate, and cherry.

Paneer Peda- For the cheese connoisseur, Paneer Peda is made of paneer cheese, sugar, cardamom, and pistachios.
8c852d34f2657ea12e64ee4e8f286af3_zps96c872f9.jpg

Drinks​
Tea- There will be a very wide range of teas from the Nepali Tea Traders, who would be a sponsor of the cart (don't worry, there would be no ads around).
Coffee- Same deal with tea, but from Himalayan Java instead of NTT.
Milk and juice will also be available.
Reasoning: I feel like Dhakwa's Sweet Stand is a realistic option to bring traditional sweets to the Asia section of the park, and also bring some of the most delicious treats in all of Walt Disney World!

Shoutout to tasteofnepal.blogspot.com for the info and pictures.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Cobb Fries - The Brown Derby’s staple Cobb Salad updated for a new generation. Bacon, chicken, avocado, tomato, egg, and blue cheese atop a heap of fries smothered in a red wine vinaigrette.

That. Sounds. Delicious. I'm not an avocado fan, but I'm on board with the Cobb fries!

Paneer Peda- For the cheese connoisseur, Paneer Peda is made of paneer cheese, sugar, cardamom, and pistachios.
8c852d34f2657ea12e64ee4e8f286af3_zps96c872f9.jpg

Matt, that looks really good! Sounds kinda Like a cheesecake-ish or cream cheese frosting thing going on? :D Anyways, awesome food you found for the cart!

This challenge is going to be dangerous.... So. Much. Good. Food.

tumblr_n0e2yeUX6M1ryjwzno1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom