Is Disney The One To Blame Here??

Patrick_Ears

Original Poster
I came across this news on Yahoo and yes i know.. but anyway i'm guessing that some people is blaming Disney or say the "other" theme parks making families homeless??

Is it because they are getting so huge and everything is going up and getting more expensive? IDK.....
Here is the story for you to read.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disneys-shadow-homeless-families-struggle-041547851.html

If you can't use the link i will copy and paste the story.

I'm going to sit back and eat my popcorn. :D

NYwdwfan

I saw this earlier. There are Several theme parks in that area and yet the author chose to point fingers at Disney. And I'm not even sure the theme parks are to be blamed at all. I guess putting a photo of a WDW icon along with an article generates more hits.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Stories like this break my heart. The Orlando area is among the poorest metro areas in the nation. So many working poor and a state with a low minimum wage and the Orlando area just has such a high percentage of people working for wages below the poverty level. In other areas throughout the country the wealthier tend to create shelters and food bank etc. In areas like this little is done to help those get back on their feet and start a new. School districts are required to take homeless children in under their wings without any funding, children should be educated no matter what troubles their families. Then schools must feed children in these situations, again without any real funding back to the schools. In the Orlando area this is a burden to the schools given the amount of poor in the area. A vicious circle.

We have choices as a nation, establish a higher minimum wage for our nation so they can be more self sufficient or continue to subsidize these same people/families though social service programs funded by tax dollars.
Choice one the higher wages would fall on businesses (Disney included) or choice 2 the various social services the tax payers fund. This area tends to look at Disney and their amazing profit margins and then look at a chunk of their employees. In other areas it could be any other corporation with large profits and low wages. Massive box hardware stores are often used as the example up my way or the Box Department stores and large chain restaurants. The fact is unemployment for the most part has come down but so many of these displaced workers are under employed and once lived a better life and now are in poverty.

It doesn't matter how the poor got to where they are, they are there. Now all we as a nation have to decide is how to proceed for the future, a cost of doing business or more reliance of social services, a cost to tax payers.
Will be interested to see how this all plays out in the future.

BigTxEars

How much should the minimum wage be nationwide?

What factor used to determine it?

Who pays for it? Does the increased cost to the business that has now has to pay it's people more get passed onto the customers of that business?

If so who comes out ahead in the long run? For example if a fast food place has to charge 20% more per meal to cover the increased wages and the minimum wages goes up 20% then it's net gain of zero for the person getting the raise.

If a person makes more are they going to handle that money in a responsible way? Or are they going to consider it just more disposable income and still not meet their bills? I don't think it is logical to think giving someone more money is going to "fix" them financially without some tools to go along with it.

It's not as easy as raising the minimum wage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom