Pre-Trip Graduation and cancer free celebration!

Hey everyone!
My name is Megan and I am new to WDW Magic! After reading everyone else's trip reports and pre trip reports I really wanted to give it a try! Additionally, my family is probably sick of me talking about Disney so much, so its a good way to talk about my trip without the usual rolling of the eyes (to be fair they are all very excited, but I know I talk too much haha).

Who? First let me introduce the fellow members of my trip!
The trip includes myself (obviously!), my parents, my sister Jill and her boyfriend Nick and my sister Elizabeth (who we call Betta). My Mom, Dad, Betta and I were last at Disney in January of 2013 and Jill was last at Disney in April of 2010. Nick, however, has not been to Disney since he was a kid, and has only been once!

232323232%7Ffp5438%3B%3Enu%3D3359%3E459%3E867%3EWSNRCG%3D397%3A86%3A8%3A7337nu0mrj

Left to Right: My sister Betta, my sister Jill, me!, my Mom and my Dad

232323232%7Ffp734%3A5%3Enu%3D3359%3E459%3E867%3EWSNRCG%3D397%3A8676%3B5337nu0mrj

And this is Nick (Jill's boyfriend) and Jill

When?
My parents and I will be in Disney from June 6th - June 16th 2014. My sisters and Nick will be there from June 7th to June 15th

Where?
We will all be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter this year. We have all stayed there in the past and really enjoyed it. Plus, I will be about two weeks out from a New Orleans service trip so it will be good to transition right back into the NOLA charm :)

Why?
So, when we got back from our last trip I distinctly remember my mom and I sitting at breakfast in our usual post-Disney depression thinking about when we could go on our next trip. We had tossed around the idea of going after I graduate from medical school (which is happening June 1 this year!), but we were never super serious about it. Obviously Disney is expensive so I just figured we would not be going for awhile even if we did toss around the idea a few times. However, last April my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and the first thing she said was "That's it, we are going to Disney!" Life is too short, so why not enjoy life while we are still here! Luckily my mom had surgery and radiation and is now doing very well and it just so happens that during our trip will be her one year cancer free anniversary! So, we have a lot of things to celebrate: my mom being cancer free, my medical school graduation, my parents' 37th wedding anniversary and Fathers Day! Since we are celebrating so many things, this trip is going to be so fun and we are definitely making a point to try things we have never tried before!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Just a quick overview of our itinerary so far (although I change things so many times haha) :

June 6th: My parents and I fly out of Buffalo around 7:30 and should arrive into Orlando about 10:30. This will be the first time we aren’t renting a car so we will be using DME for the first time! We are planning on making a quick trip to MK then we have dinner reservations for the California Grill!

June 7th: This is the day my sisters and Nick will be arriving! My parents and I are planning on going to AK in the morning and meet up with everyone later in the day!

June 8th: Epcot and Chefs de France for dinner with everyone!

June 9th: MK and the Crystal Palace for breakfast!

June 10th: Probably MK in the morning since I got fast passes for BOG for lunch; At night my parents, Betta and I will be at Epcot (we have dinner at Tutto Italia for my parents anniversary) and Jill and Nick will be at Victoria and Alberts

June 11th: HS and Sci Fi for dinner/late night snack

June 12th: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the morning and my parents, Betta and I will be at HS at night (Jill and Nick are going to Orlando for a concert)

June 13th: AK in morning and heading to Universal City Walk for Margaritaville (Betta and I would love to go into the park to see Harry Potter, but I cant exactly stomach the price since we wont be there for a full day)

June 14th: HS in the morning to see some of the insanity that is Star Wars weekend, then probably visiting the water park we didn’t do the other day and later maybe ESPN club at Disney to celebrate Fathers Day the day before

June 15th: nothing specific planned, Jill, Nick and Betta leave

June 16th: My parents and I will lounge around and 1900 Park Fare for breakfast before heading home

coachwnh

First of all @Doc Disney , Im not sure what is better news (you graduating from medical school -congratulations or your mom being healthy!!!!). Either way, its sounds like you have planned a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it! best of luck and enjoy the trip!

TinkandCrew

Excited to read your trip report! Congrats on finishing medical school (it's every parent's dream for their child...lol) and happy to hear your mom's health is great. Sounds like this trip is a deserved one all around. Wishing you a wonderful trip in June!

CtDisneyGuy33

First off, great news on having your Mom cancer free. My mom has been cancer free almost 3 years and let me tell you, its a great feeling to celebrate the annys every single year.

Second, congrats on the graduation. Like you again, the day I got word I passed the Bar exam, I jumped on the computer and was lining up a Disney trip. I remember the first beer at Rose and Crown as a graduate - best beer I ever had ...and mind you, the most expensive. Enjoy it tho

PolynesianPrincess

Welcome to the boards and wow, congrats to your mother on being cancer free! My sister had cancer when she was 5 and has been cancer from for 23 years now!! :) And congrats on the medical school gradutation! You definitely deserve this trip!!!

Love all the ADRs you have planned. Crystal Palace for breakfast is one of my favorites, especially before the park opens. You get an empty Main Street which is perfect for pictures! We also enjoyed Les Chefs when we had lunch there a few years back.

Can't wait to read all aobut it when you return!

Weather_Lady

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Congratulations to you and your mother on your current (and near-future) milestones! What a lovely family you have.

WWWD

Congrats and have a great trip. Um, is that your sister's boyfriend on CNN in the picture where you introduce him? Even the shirt is the same. :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
What an exciting plan! Congrats to your mom for being cancer free-such great news. Congrats on your graduation! Have a wonderful trip!!
Thank you so much!!!

Wow! Such great news. Congrats to your Mom being cancer free, and to your graduation! No better place to celebrate, then the happiest place on earth!! Enjoy your trip.
Thank you, you are right. The happiest place in the world for sure!

First of all @Doc Disney , Im not sure what is better news (you graduating from medical school -congratulations or your mom being healthy!!!!). Either way, its sounds like you have planned a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it! best of luck and enjoy the trip!
Thank you so much! I hope to write a trip report when I get home :)

What a wonderful trip you have planned. Welcome to our little Disney family.
I am really excited to join these boards, you all definitely seem like a little family and I love it! Thank you!

Excited to read your trip report! Congrats on finishing medical school (it's every parent's dream for their child...lol) and happy to hear your mom's health is great. Sounds like this trip is a deserved one all around. Wishing you a wonderful trip in June!
Thank you! Can't wait to get home and write a report :) (well in actuality I can wait to get home…don't want to wish away the trip haha)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Such great news all around! Congrats! Sounds like an exciting trip!
Thank you!

Sounds like you have every reason to celebrate, have a wonderful time!!
Thank you, we are all very excited!

First off, great news on having your Mom cancer free. My mom has been cancer free almost 3 years and let me tell you, its a great feeling to celebrate the annys every single year.
CONGRATULATIONS to your mom! Thats very exciting, and those anniversaries are the best ones to celebrate :)

Second, congrats on the graduation. Like you again, the day I got word I passed the Bar exam, I jumped on the computer and was lining up a Disney trip. I remember the first beer at Rose and Crown as a graduate - best beer I ever had ...and mind you, the most expensive. Enjoy it tho
Thank you! Def can not wait to "drink around the world." Congrats on the Bar exam…I heard that exam is torture :)

Congrats to all!! Great news all around.
Thank you!

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Congratulations to you and your mother on your current (and near-future) milestones! What a lovely family you have.
Thank you so much, I am definitely fond of my family they are great :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Welcome to the boards and wow, congrats to your mother on being cancer free! My sister had cancer when she was 5 and has been cancer from for 23 years now!! :) And congrats on the medical school gradutation! You definitely deserve this trip!!!

Love all the ADRs you have planned. Crystal Palace for breakfast is one of my favorites, especially before the park opens. You get an empty Main Street which is perfect for pictures! We also enjoyed Les Chefs when we had lunch there a few years back.

Can't wait to read all aobut it when you return!

Thank you! Congratulations to your sister :) 23 years is AMAZING! I am super excited for the Crystal Palace reservation….we have it for 8:05 am so it will before the park opens! Last time we went we had an early CP reservation but my one sister has never been in MK when its empty so I'm very excited for her to see it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom