"5th" or "9th" guest guidelines?

journ116

Original Poster
Recently (well, at least this is the first I'm noticing), I've noticed that DVC has been publishing on their reservation site that resorts such as VWL, BCV, & BWV can accommodate a "5th guest" in a 1-bedroom & a "9th guest" in the 2-bedroom. However, the extra guest will not have towels or linens provided…so, my question is: just how are they accommodating that 5th or 9th person?

The reason I ask, besides just out of curiosity, is that our November travel plans could change to yet another "extended family" vacation. Currently, we are a family of 4 with a split stay at VWL and BCV, both studios. However, 3-5 more people could be joining our party, necessitating the need for another 1-bedroom (keeping our studio ressie, too), or finding a 2-bedroom at the above mentioned villas. "Yes," I know a 2-bedroom at AKV (our home resort), OKW, & SS can all accommodate us AND are available….but, we would like the convenience of either VWL, BCV or BWV (BLT & VGF are not available for our dates).

Any insight, pictures, or videos pertaining to my question of the "extra guest" will be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

slappy magoo

Just a guess, those rooms have been retrofitted to now have the sleeper chair that can accommodate that extra person, but because the chairs cost more than expected, the maintenance fees agreed upon for the year can no longer budget for the extra supplies, and that will probably be taken care of with a nominal increase in MFs next year. Towels are not as much of an issue - if DVC really is the best kept secret, getting extra towels from the pool is the worst kept secret - but then they'll charge anyone who needs the extra linens directly. It's something that doesn't affect resorts like the BLT, VGF and the non-values at VAK because they were always designed to accommodate that extra person and the cost is already reflected in the MFs.

But honestly, I'm spitballing, I could be way off the mark.

journ116

Original Poster
Just a guess, those rooms have been retrofitted to now have the sleeper chair that can accommodate that extra person, but because the chairs cost more than expected, the maintenance fees agreed upon for the year can no longer budget for the extra supplies, and that will probably be taken care of with a nominal increase in MFs next year. Towels are not as much of an issue - if DVC really is the best kept secret, getting extra towels from the pool is the worst kept secret - but then they'll charge anyone who needs the extra linens directly. It's something that doesn't affect resorts like the BLT, VGF and the non-values at VAK because they were always designed to accommodate that extra person and the cost is already reflected in the MFs.

But honestly, I'm spitballing, I could be way off the mark.
Thanks for your insight! Short of talking to an "informative" CM, I thought this forum would be more useful!

slappy magoo

Thanks for your insight! Short of talking to an "informative" CM, I thought this forum would be more useful!
The only difference between me and a talkative bus driver is I'm admitting up front that I'm just guessing. I don't have anything "on good authority" and I'm not assuming I'm right.

MMDVC

It is a test... If Disney can train one guest to bring their own sheets and towels , they can train us all.
Isn't there a survey out already questioning what amenities and accommodations would you be willing to do without.

slappy magoo

It is a test... If Disney can train one guest to bring their own sheets and towels , they can train us all.
Isn't there a survey out already questioning what amenities and accommodations would you be willing to do without.
There might be, but I don't see how this saves them all that much money. As it stands, DVC members only get a full room/Villa cleaning if they're on property for more than 7 nights, meaning for many members, the rooms only get cleaned once the most recent guests depart, to get it ready for the next party of guests. So Mousekeeping is already going to have to supply fresh linens and towels to the room anyway. I'd argue that as part of our maintenance fees, that non-daily Mousekeeping that occurs ought to be incredibly thorough, checking the sleeper-sofas and sleeper-chairs to make sure they were or were not used and clean accordingly.

Seems like one thing that could save them money (though perhaps not as much money as they'd like) is this - a bag with extra linens and towels is provided, upon request, as part of the check-in package. If a room sleeps 5, but only two as a courtesy the guests are asked "will you be needing to use the sleeper sofa during your stay? How about the sleeper chair?" If the answer to either question is "Yes," provide what's needed with the check-in paperwork. A party of 3 or 4, they're asked if they'll need both the sofa & the chair for sleeping (maybe the 3rd and 4th aren't related or not a couple or different genders or just that everybody wants or needs their own sleeping area). And if it's a party of 5 they automatically get the extra linens AND the extra towels. This way they're not kept in the rooms so turnover might not be as heavy, and Mousekeeping doesn't have to wonder if the sheets were used and just put back neatly for some reason oh why take a chance let's just swap 'em out.

journ116

Original Poster
**UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with DVC reservations, and the very friendly CM informed me that the "extra guest" would be accommodated via a 'twin-sized air mattress, running $15/night.' No towels or bedding would be provided though. She suggested that I either bring my own air mattress or stop at a store near WDW and pick up a cheaper one.

The reason as to "why" Disney will accommodate the "extra guest," is because of the available square footage at those resorts.

I switched our ressie around to accommodate the extra 5 guests in our party…I guess the Pirate Ship slide at BC will be worth all those extra points my DH decided to shell out for extended family, eh?

Disneykidder

Just like VGF, VWL has recently been refurbed to include a pull down bed thing under the tv in a studio so a studio at VWL can now accommodate 5 as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
**UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with DVC reservations, and the very friendly CM informed me that the "extra guest" would be accommodated via a 'twin-sized air mattress, running $15/night.' No towels or bedding would be provided though. She suggested that I either bring my own air mattress or stop at a store near WDW and pick up a cheaper one.

The reason as to "why" Disney will accommodate the "extra guest," is because of the available square footage at those resorts.

I switched our ressie around to accommodate the extra 5 guests in our party…I guess the Pirate Ship slide at BC will be worth all those extra points my DH decided to shell out for extended family, eh?
One of my good friends has a vacation home at the beach. They have a sign there that says "I never knew how many friends I had until I bought a beach house". Same goes for DVC;)

tjkraz

The 5th / 9th guest thing pre-dates the sleeper chair addition by many years. If memory serves, it was around 2005 when they began to allow the other guest but wasn't until 2009 when AKV (Kidani), BLT and VGC opened with the extra bed. And it was several years after that before the sleepers were retrofitted to older properties.

The most sensible explanation for its origin was that DVC figured it would help boost point sales. With Studio and One Bedroom occupancy capped at 4, families with 5 were forced into a much more expensive Two Bedroom villa. That certainly cost them sales to families who felt they could fit into a 1B, but weren't willing to spend 40-60% more points on a larger villa.

So with little fanfare or explanation, they just started allowing the higher occupancy.

For the most part it was received very positively by members. Some people occasionally argue that the higher occupancy places a greater strain on resort services, housekeeping, increases the odds of damage to the room, etc.

We're a family of 4 but personally I like the rooms with sleeper chairs just because it gives our kids separate beds to sleep in. :)

Since the policy change, DVC has consistently maintained that cots, rollaways and air beds are NOT provided by the resort--neither free nor for a charge. Unless there has been a recent policy change, OP may have gotten info which relates more to cash guests. Most 1B villas only have towels for 4 occupants but you can buy a "towel pack" for $6. They usually have enough dishes, glasses and silverware for 8 since most 1B villa kitchens are part of a lock off Two Bedroom configuration.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The 5th / 9th guest thing pre-dates the sleeper chair addition by many years. If memory serves, it was around 2005 when they began to allow the other guest but wasn't until 2009 when AKV (Kidani), BLT and VGC opened with the extra bed. And it was several years after that before the sleepers were retrofitted to older properties.

The most sensible explanation for its origin was that DVC figured it would help boost point sales. With Studio and One Bedroom occupancy capped at 4, families with 5 were forced into a much more expensive Two Bedroom villa. That certainly cost them sales to families who felt they could fit into a 1B, but weren't willing to spend 40-60% more points on a larger villa.

So with little fanfare or explanation, they just started allowing the higher occupancy.

For the most part it was received very positively by members. Some people occasionally argue that the higher occupancy places a greater strain on resort services, housekeeping, increases the odds of damage to the room, etc.

We're a family of 4 but personally I like the rooms with sleeper chairs just because it gives our kids separate beds to sleep in. :)

Since the policy change, DVC has consistently maintained that cots, rollaways and air beds are NOT provided by the resort--neither free nor for a charge. Unless there has been a recent policy change, OP may have gotten info which relates more to cash guests. Most 1B villas only have towels for 4 occupants but you can buy a "towel pack" for $6. They usually have enough dishes, glasses and silverware for 8 since most 1B villa kitchens are part of a lock off Two Bedroom configuration.
My theory was that they would allow a 5th person without a bed or bedding to accommodate an extra kid. What they wanted to avoid is 5 adults staying in a 1 bedroom or a studio. Most adults aren't willing to sleep on the floor on vacations, but kids usually don't really care.

tjkraz

My theory was that they would allow a 5th person without a bed or bedding to accommodate an extra kid. What they wanted to avoid is 5 adults staying in a 1 bedroom or a studio. Most adults aren't willing to sleep on the floor on vacations, but kids usually don't really care.

Agree...no DVC studios are fit for 5 adults (in my opinion.) But by expanding the capacity, I'm sure they were opening it up to more adults.

We are a family of 4: myself, wife + 2 kids. If we were to put 5 people in a 1B, it would probably be the 4 of us plus a grandparent, aunt or perhaps and older niece / nephew.

Years ago we did put 5 in a One Bedroom by bringing a grandparent along but that's when one of the kids was still <3 and sleeping in the pack-n-play.

mammaminnie

I will say that I confirmed the 5th person deal for our Dec stay at BWV and was told that it can also accomodate a 5th person (ages 3 and under) for no additional cost. We will have a 4 month old then so I was happy to hear I won't have to pay for an air mattress for him :)

Phonedave

When we went two years ago (as 2 adults and 3 kids) I gave my eldest daughter the choice. I could get AKL or VWL - both legally allow five. However AKL had the pull out chair, and VWL did not, but VWL is her favorite resort. She choose VWL. We packed a twin air mattress and sheets. There is an extra blanket in the unit. At night she sput the matterss next to the sliding doors in the living room, and during the day we stood it upright in the corner next to the TV. The air matters, pump, and sheets took up about 1/2 of a standard carry on bag. Packing it both ways was not an issue because with United Presidents Club you get 1 free checked bag and one free carry on. More than enough free baggage for all of us.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom