Killing time at Contemporary Resort?

HouCuseChickie

Oh please- let's not turn this into another pool hopping convo. We ALL- for the most part- know it's forbidden, many of us are against it even if there aren't measures in place to prevent it and we all know that some people choose to break the rules. End of story.

As for OP...I think even if you skip Magical Express and just go directly to the Contemporary- you're probably not going to have a ton of time to burn. Assuming you arrive at MCO on time, you still have to make your way through the airport, get transportation to the Contemporary, and deal with traffic. If you do have any time leftover, I'd consider taking the monorail around the loop or maybe take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge.

BostonJP

Original Poster
If your entire party is not available when your reservation time arrives at Chef Mickey's, you will NOT be seated. So it does not benefit you to arrive extra early in case your wife is delayed.
This is very helpful and radically changes the reasoning behind my plans. It may just make more sense to assist in checking into A of A and scooting over to Contemporary as quickly as we can.

Since many of you seem to know the resorts and travel, it sounds like the quickest way to to Contemporary Resort is by bus to MK. Does this need to be reserved like the airport transportation, or do they have buses running on a regular schedule?

I guess it's obvious that I am a novice at this! I reserved the dinner 4 months before our trip and didn't realize that all the in-park restaurants were already booked solid for that whole weekend.

BostonJP

Original Poster
I think even if you skip Magical Express and just go directly to the Contemporary- you're probably not going to have a ton of time to burn. Assuming you arrive at MCO on time, you still have to make your way through the airport, get transportation to the Contemporary, and deal with traffic. If you do have any time leftover, I'd consider taking the monorail around the loop or maybe take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge.
So you're thinking it might make more sense for all of us to go straight to Contemporary? This is the kind of scenario I worry about - I don't know how traffic is in Orlando at 5 PM on a Thursday, but here in Boston a 20 mile commute can easily take an hour or more!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Buses run from AoA to MK approximately every 20 minutes. Short of paying for a cab, this is your best option to get to Chef Mickey's ~ bus to MK and then walk to Contemporary.

If your plane is late in arriving to Orlando, Magical Express straight to Contemporary is probably best. But you'll likely have enough time to go to AoA first. The route from airport to Disney bypasses Orlando commuting traffic.

HouCuseChickie

So you're thinking it might make more sense for all of us to go straight to Contemporary? This is the kind of scenario I worry about - I don't know how traffic is in Orlando at 5 PM on a Thursday, but here in Boston a 20 mile commute can easily take an hour or more!

I think you're going to be cutting it close no matter how you do this. In theory, taking a car 'should' take less time than the DME bus, but I'm thinking back to our 2011 trip where we drove and hit a ton of traffic between Uni and WDW. Mind you, we were in commuter traffic (on a Saturday), but we've had some pretty slow drives on Magical Express as well. And like @Tuvalu noted, they take a route that bypasses the traffic. Still, I think of our 2010 trip...landed just before 11am, but didn't get to our resort until about 12:30pm on Magical Express.

I'm not sure if you're on DDP and need to check in at AoA to activate your bands and ultimately, your DDP credits for your meals, but if that's the case...I'd take DME to AoA, check in, and then see how much time you've got left. If you're looking good on time, catch a bus to MK and walk over to the Contemporary. If time is running short, grab a cab directly to the Contemporary. There are usually cabs out at the various resorts all the time, so you shouldn't have any problem getting one quickly.

BostonJP

Original Poster
No, after a bit of research we decided dining plan wasn't for us. This is just a regular ol' dinner reservation.

It looks like we'll be playing it by ear anyway. I hadn't even thought of taxi cabs but it's nice to know those are always an option given some worst-case scenario.

On a completely unrelated note is there an acronym glossary or something on these boards? Everybody's replies to me have been fine but reading some of the other boards is like a foreign language. We legal professionals love our definitions!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No, after a bit of research we decided dining plan wasn't for us. This is just a regular ol' dinner reservation.

It looks like we'll be playing it by ear anyway. I hadn't even thought of taxi cabs but it's nice to know those are always an option given some worst-case scenario.

On a completely unrelated note is there an acronym glossary or something on these boards? Everybody's replies to me have been fine but reading some of the other boards is like a foreign language. We legal professionals love our definitions!
http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The monorail is a great way to kill time. Full trip around is quick but if you have extra time to kill you could get off at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian and walk around. Another option is to take the boat to either Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness Camp Ground. They run about every 20 minutes. There is a marina behind the Contemporary on Bay Lake where the boat launch is. It's a nice, peaceful ride that the kids would probably enjoy and Wilderness Lodge is pretty impressive.

The Contemporary also has a pretty decent size arcade which you could check out. They also have some shops to browse in. You should have no problem finding things to do to kill the time. Good luck and have fun:)

note2001

I'd take the boat to Ft. Wilderness, there's a playground, hammocks on the beach, store and take out counter not too far from the dock (kids will always cry they're thirsty or starved one hour before dinner reservations ;)). Most times there are horses and ponys in the old petting zoo area to fawn over too.

The monorail is fun, but judging by your picture, you have young kids. The monorail is the ultimate ride to them, and there's a very good chance they'll want to stay on for the entire duration of the wait and might have an issue when it's time to leave. In your shoes, I'd do the monorail ride after dinner.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

That arcade alone can occupy your time for hours. You can take your kids there and they'll have fun. Having been that age and being in that hotel, I can tell you that's all I ever wanted to do. Learned how to play air hockey there when I was 2. You also get (electronic) tickets and can redeem prizes for certain games.

You can also hang out in the lobby, walk around, ride the monorail around, go check out the lobbies of Grand Floridian. You can only use the pool at your home resort, though.

BostonJP

Original Poster
All great stuff - you guys are the best! Now I have more ideas than time ;)

I'll have some time to kill Saturday between races and was planning on hanging around AOA and its pool, and perhaps Downtown Disney, but you've all given me a bunch of great other ideas. I'll probably just focus on checking in Thursday night and then take the kids on the monorail resort exploration on Saturday when I'm not limited to 1-2 hours.

BostonJP

Original Poster
Have you thought about checking in online? We always do this and have never spent more than 5 minutes checking in.
I do plan on checking in via my smartphone on the plane or the bus en route to WDW. I heard it still took awhile even with the online check-in, but it's good to hear that your experience has been that quick. Any way to minimize waiting helps!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I do plan on checking in via my smartphone on the plane or the bus en route to WDW. I heard it still took awhile even with the online check-in, but it's good to hear that your experience has been that quick. Any way to minimize waiting helps!
You can check in online at any time 60 days or less from the start of your stay. This gives the room assigners ample time to block rooms and put together your info packet so that all is ready for you upon your arrival. If you wait to check in online while you are on the plane or ME bus, the necessary preparations might not get done and you will end up with a longer check in experience (the same as if you had not done online check in).

mickeysshoes

You can check in online at any time 60 days or less from the start of your stay. This gives the room assigners ample time to block rooms and put together your info packet so that all is ready for you upon your arrival. If you wait to check in online while you are on the plane or ME bus, the necessary preparations might not get done and you will end up with a longer check in experience (the same as if you had not done online check in).

Can you really check in now 60 days prior. :rolleyes: WOO now I know its been a long time since I have been on the boards. I thought it was only 10 days!

MOUSEGIRL

I would check in as soon as you can. I checked in at the 60 day mark our past three trips and always have gotten my request and walked up got my welcome package and my room number in 5 minutes or less. I would not wait till you are on the plane or bus. Why not just do it now.

BostonJP

Original Poster
I would check in as soon as you can. I checked in at the 60 day mark our past three trips and always have gotten my request and walked up got my welcome package and my room number in 5 minutes or less. I would not wait till you are on the plane or bus. Why not just do it now.
Because I'm extraordinarily cheap and don't want to pay for the room until my feet are on Florida soil ;)

My wife actually started the check-in process earlier this week but didn't complete it. As I said above I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law and I over-think everything!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom