Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Mr Bill

OK, I love Modern Family. Have since it premiered. Great writing, acting, directing. The whole shebang and much more real than Big Bang Theory, which would be my second favorite network sitcom.

But sometimes I think ABC wastes the talent. Tonight's episode, which sent the whole gang (except for baby Joe) down under to Australia (with a healthy sponsorship fee tossed in by Qantas) was quite an enjoyable outing ... BUT ... why spend the time and effort to go to Australia and open up some interesting story arcs for the characters all to be done in 23 minutes. Honestly, if the Brady Bunch got two episodes in Hawaii and even King's Island in the 70s I don't see why the whole episode was rushed. It sure wasn't to get to ratings juggernaut Mixology (the worst of ABC's attempts to find a partner for MF in the 9 p.m. hour) .

They should have done an hour. Possibly even an hour tonight with a mini-cliffhanger and another 30 minutes (23 actually) next week.
It looks like The Middle's upcoming WDW episode is going to be a two-parter. I guess Disney's willing to stretch things out when they can advertise their own product?

Animaniac93-98

I have heard serious chatter that TWDC wants MAGIC Bands in Paris as part of their planned cash infusion. Whether this actually happens is another thing ... They won't be able to replicate MM+ for a variety of reasons, many cultural, but they could use the tracking bands there for admission and payments and normal FP.

I think Paris management would need to see concrete proof of direct revenue increases before investing in a project of that size, or something similar. Especially when the money could be put towards any number of other things.

And if they put me in an old room, I'd demand a move.

As would I, especially since I'm paying extra to stay on the Admiral's Floor. Here's hoping they also make a new/refurbished lounge for those guests like they did with Sequoia, not that I'm expecting it.

lazyboy97o

I think Paris management would need to see concrete proof of direct revenue increases before investing in a project of that size, or something similar. Especialy when the money could be put towards any number of other things.
Euro Disney SCA is really not at all independent of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. I think at this point even those inside The Walt Disney Company realize they couldn't sell the Euro Disney SCA shareholders on another billion euros of debt as a way to solving their debt problem.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, and @WDW1974, as @BrianLo showed in his post, the IMG park/complex is finally happening. One of my friends is the head of Park Operations for the place, actually. I was very envious when he moved over to Dubai and ended up with a killer apartment in the Burj Al Khalifa.

I wouldn't be too envious, Mike. ... I had a good friend that was hoping (and with his talent he likely would have been) to be part of the Busch team when they were planning their massive four-park Dubai complex and all I could think was with his western 'tude and liberal feelings about everything that he wouldn't make it out of the airport there without being arrested.

I hope your friend is straight, doesn't look at of any kind, doesn't drink or use any drugs (even legal stuff here that doc's prescribe), would never think of even kissing a girlfriend in public, never talks politics or religion etc ... otherwise, unless he is connected to the royals or his folks do business with them, the smallest thing could result in the type of nightmare that movies are made about. Seriously.

I call Dubai the Mirage in the Desert. I'd love to know what they'll do when their oil runs out (which is happening between 15-25 years from now depending on who you use for a source) ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nope, not on the gravy train - still not invited to media events.

EDIT: I should further clarify that being invited to press events was always in the category of "would be nice" for the purpose of interviews and taking photos, but never really necessary. The food and drinks would not be the point. On top of all this, if somehow I ended up on the invite list, I wouldn't be able to to go most of the time. I have a day job, and this park stuff is definitely a hobby.

Just a question, Kevin, but as someone who has written about the company for over a decade and authored numerous books, don't you think you could force the issue with them? I get that you want the access, not the freebies and you should be lauded for that.

But, if it were me, I might quite pointedly ask Dr. Blondie or Crazy Gary or Bland Tommy or their boss Lovely Leanne why am I not credentialed for these events when completely insignificant bloggers and podcasters are?

You have nothing at all to lose by being forceful with them. I would ask point blank for an explanation. If they don't like you personally or the fact you attempt to be a balanced blogger and not a BRAND advocate, then I am sure they could tell you that (even if they won't likely put it in writing).

Or else you are sorta wasting your time because you are always going to be behind the curve on what's going on at WDW precisely because you do have a job, a family and a LIFE! :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
In a pure ideal world... yes

But we all know the game isn't played on this academic level. It's played at the 'who do I like, who do I not, who am I looking to reach...'

The gatekeepers at each organization get to play whatever games they want. In the 'online only' world, things are so much more disjointed and unorganized, a company doesn't have to worry as much about playing favorites or blacklists.. like they would with traditional media.

Exactly.

They may hate a certain writer or reporter from say the Boston Globe or Variety or the NBC affiliate in NYC, but when they apply for a credential for something like next week's event, Disney has almost no choice but to credential them. Believe me, I know they have had to invite people they couldn't stand (people who would ask me if I thought Disney was above bugging their comped resort rooms).

With bloggers, there are no safeguards against being blacklisted and no one (even a Jason Garcia type) in real media who is going to devote time and resources into covering that aspect of social media. I would guess that 99% of the people here realize Kevin Yee is being blacklisted by Disney for two reasons: 1.) he writes for the same site that Al Lutz did for many years and; 2.) he often is critical of Disney and has created terms (much like my Walmarting) like 'declining by degrees' that have resonated in the fan community and become buzzwords for Disney charging more and always offering less.

He is blacklisted. Period.

But I'd sure want to make people at Celebration Place uncomfortable about it ... ruin their days ... it can't all be 'fun with Mommy bloggers on the company's money' ... even suggest legal action (whether bluffing or not, they must take it seriously). In the end nothing will change ... but you may get some satisfaction. When I am dealing with companies like Disney, I realize that I have to take my victories where I can get them. They are the largest media company in the world and their tentacles are far more reaching than Ursula's.

Of course, we all do recall what happens to Ursula at the end, right?

TinkerBelle8878

I've been wondering on the whole 'too big to fail MM+' issue, is there an alternate market use for the MagicBands if this whole MM+ does indeed get pulled? They've put them in the stores with significant 'real estate' devoted to them. Its not like they were only given to one select group at one select resort. So if most of the 'pluses' that were supposed to come with the bands are never put into use and if the rest of it slowly fades away...what else can they do with all these things? Chop them up into pins? Bedazzle them with hot glue guns and sell them as jewelry? Sell them to nervous parents so they have a gps on their kids?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree with you, I'd absolutely love to live in Japan. I haven't looked into feasibility at all, but it's a dream of mine. It's really just a pipe dream at this point, but when you live in the Midwest, dreams of living elsewhere are the only thing that keep you going! ;)

There's quite a difference between vacationing in a place and living there. That's what I keep bringing out when Lifestylers move to O-Town to be 'closer to the MAGIC'.

It isn't the same thing.

I loved Tokyo. Can't wait to return. But live there? ... Um ... I don't eat seafood, don't like earthquakes, don't speak any of the language, don't like being crowded, don't really think much of the climate ... oh, and since I have friends there, I know how suicide is a huge problem. It's not all Duffy, Hello Kitty and TDR.

And I have lived in Asia. Beijing, Hong Kong, Guangzhou ... albeit for months at a time on work contracts. I loved all three places. And I probably would have been happy staying a year in each ... but moving? I really don't think so.

I'll echo your advice that anyone who balks at the idea of going to Japan absolutely should not. It's absolutely worth sacrificing a few trips to other Disney parks, and actually isn't really as expensive as people might think (to be clear: it is expensive, just not out of reach for most people here who visit WDW annually). Language and the flight should be no barrier.

That is so true. ... It just isn't a problem there. But it hasn't been an issue for me in ANY/EVERY major world city I have visited in Europe, Asia, South America etc ...

Hell, how many folks in O-Town can't speak English? How many WDW CMs can't or can barely?

It's just a poor excuse for being afraid of a different culture.

maxairmike

I wouldn't be too envious, Mike. ... I had a good friend that was hoping (and with his talent he likely would have been) to be part of the Busch team when they were planning their massive four-park Dubai complex and all I could think was with his western 'tude and liberal feelings about everything that he wouldn't make it out of the airport there without being arrested.

I hope your friend is straight, doesn't look at of any kind, doesn't drink or use any drugs (even legal stuff here that doc's prescribe), would never think of even kissing a girlfriend in public, never talks politics or religion etc ... otherwise, unless he is connected to the royals or his folks do business with them, the smallest thing could result in the type of nightmare that movies are made about. Seriously.

I call Dubai the Mirage in the Desert. I'd love to know what they'll do when their oil runs out (which is happening between 15-25 years from now depending on who you use for a source) ...

I'm envious only of his view of the fountain and city (not to mention how nice it looked even before his stuff arrived), and that he gets to experience the sights and architecture at the leisurely pace of a "local." I know very well the societal norms there and would not want to live there, and have always been extremely skeptical of the long-term stability of the place. But you better believe I'd kill to spend a week or two photographing the place and just enjoying the cityscape. He's been there over a year without incident now, though, so he seems to be fine.

I still take any Dubai park announcement with a large grain of salt...heck, almost any foreign park announcement outside of China, for that matter.

lazyboy97o

I've been wondering on the whole 'too big to fail MM+' issue, is there an alternate market use for the MagicBands if this whole MM+ does indeed get pulled? They've put them in the stores with significant 'real estate' devoted to them. Its not like they were only given to one select group at one select resort. So if most of the 'pluses' that were supposed to come with the bands are never put into use and if the rest of it slowly fades away...what else can they do with all these things? Chop them up into pins? Bedazzle them with hot glue guns and sell them as jewelry? Sell them to nervous parents so they have a gps on their kids?
There seems to be at least some people willing to spend $12.95 for them right now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The absolute lowest rate at the MiraCosta is ~$360/night in the lowest season of the year, for a poor view room that sleeps 3. As a practical reality, you're probably looking at $500+/night most nights of the year. Even more for a Porto Paradiso (Mt. Prometheus) view. The popularity of that hotel is insane.

These rooms can be booked up to 6 months in advance, and there is a rush to book at the 6 month mark, with many rooms selling out within minutes. (At 6 months -1 day, you might not find a room at the MiraCosta besides pricey suites.)

The three Disney hotels there have a 95%+ year-round occupancy rate, all while charging $500+/night for rooms. What's that quote about quality being the best business plan...?

I am going to bet that you will stay at Mira Costa on your next visit! Perhaps, just for a few days, but you'll stay!

That said, I do watch the rates and occupancies and if you go in off-peak times (like January) there are often rooms available for under $500 at all three hotels. Personally, I would only spring for Mira Costa.

The TDLH is nice, but just a different take on Disney's obsession with the Victorian look they started with the Grand Flo. It also feels the coldest of all the GF type hotels. And I even noticed a few maintenance issues on my last visit as we dined there twice. ... I like the Ambassador, but it is far away as you stated and I can stay at HKDL's Hollywood Hotel for a fraction of the price and get the same feel.

On hotels, I failed to mention in my DLP posts that a new Good Neighbor hotel is being built next to (I believe) the Explorer's Hotel ... which again speaks to the fact that DLP isn't about to go out of business (I don't know why I feel I have to say this beyond having friends that seem to desire that outcome!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom