Wife now likes DL over WDW?!?

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
We just got back from a California vacation, which included three days at DL resort. We were there Wed, Thurs, and Good Friday (I know the busiest time to go). We, (DW, DD-14, DS-11, and myself), stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate, which was wonderful. We hit the parks as soon as the rope dropped on all three days, took a break around 2 or 3 to go back and take a swim or nap, make dinner and then headed back to the park until closing or close to it. We are a gluten free family so cooking our own dinners in usually prefered. We also used the Touring Plan to help us optimize time which helped quite a bit. Wednesday was DL only and even with the park supposedly at a 9+ out of 10 it didn't seem as crowded as the MK can feel. Maybe because there are so many dang rides to absorb the crowd. I was a little disappointed with IJA being down but being able to experience the updated BTMRR was great.

Last time I was at DL was Jan. 1998, so the only thing outside the gate was an empty parking lot (they were about to break ground on DCA). So none of us had experienced DCA yet, which we did on Thursday. Having been regulars to WDW we were trying not to compare it to DHS, but it was hard not to. If we were to compare, DCA blows DHS out of the water, as much as DL blows MK away. We were very pleased with DCA, even with the off the shelf rides you find on Paradise Pier. We were in awe of Cars Land and RSR was incredible. Not worth a 120 min wait we saw on Thursday but easily worth a 20-30 min wait in the single rider line. Also worth riding in day and again at night for a whole different feel.

Friday was for hitting the rides we missed on Wednesday and hitting our favorites before leaving Anahiem. Being able to walk onto PP, Pinocchio, MTWR, SWSA, Casey Jr, and Carrousel within the first hour of opening was great as Anna and Elsa had a 60 minute wait already, (saw it up to 120 min at one point). As we were leaving the wife was saying that she prefered coming back to DL over going to WDW for our next Disney vacation.

As my worthless opinion goes, in comparing rides, (again my and DW opinion not stated as fact), but rides at DL that are better than MK:
BTMRR, IASW, PotC, Tiki Room (loved how it is full every show), HM, Autopia, Monorail (love to be able to sit up front and it feels like a ride not transportation), and BLAB (nice to be able to hold the blaster).
MK still has a better PP, SM (though loved the music on DL, just not the ride), Astro-orbiter (belongs up high not blocking the path), and Splash Mt (we get splashed in MK got soaked at DL).

Other notes, wish the rides at Paradise Pier were a little longer, SSS, JJ, and GZ (why they call it that when it is silver I don't know), would have made it a little better. Sorry that LM was closed, haven't been on it yet as the last time we were at WDW (2011) they were still building it. CS is a great coaster, nice and smooth. TSMM fits in nicely with the PP theme. Skipped over Bugs land, ITTBAB was closed for the Maleficent preview. ToT is good but prefer the Florida version to this one. Soarin was nice a clear, last time in Epcot the film was dirty and looked horible. Looking forward to the digital projectors. Luigi's FT was very fun and not hard to control as others had stated. GRR much better than Kali. RCCT was closed (DW was looking forward to it as she is not a spinning ride person she looks for things like this for her entertainment). Fantasmic DL much better than Fantasmic DHS, but volume was way too loud, dragon and the use of Columbia and MT push this one over the edge. WoC show was awesome and would love to see it come to FL at some point. Aladdin show was great as was the soundsational parade at DL. Didn't catch the DCA parade. Love the fact that DL resort uses single rider lines on some of the more popular attractions. Would love to see WDW start doing this. I was able to zoom through USO last year (travelled to FL for business and did a couple days at USO) by using the single rider lines.

DL just gained a new family of fans that are WDW regulars.

BubbaQuest

Thanks for a great trip report. Glad you all had a good time!

DCA 2.0 really changed everything here. I do wish DL had more room to expand to ease some congestion, but it is nice to be able to walk to the DL Hotel, DTD, and both parks in a few minutes.

wild01ride

DL is amazing, sometimes I think it is my favorite now too! Shhhh don't tell anyone! :cautious:

Exactly the same sentiments!
While WDW is generally cheaper from here as far as flights and easier for quick trips from the standpoint of not changing time zones, I have begun liking DLR more and more in recent years.
I have to admit that I usually find myself "longing" for DLR more than WDW when I'm Disney daydreaming...

It's a great place!

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
Thanks for a great trip report. Glad you all had a good time!

DCA 2.0 really changed everything here. I do wish DL had more room to expand to ease some congestion, but it is nice to be able to walk to the DL Hotel, DTD, and both parks in a few minutes.

Thanks, DCA 2.0 was very impressive and certainly had a Disney park look and feel. As far as congestion goes, not sure why it is since DL park is much smaller than MK, the walkways did not seem as congested even with the big Easter crowds. MK seems to be more crowded, especially through Fantasyland, than DL ever did during our visit (and we don't go to MK during peak times so I've never seen Christmas crowds there).

gboiler1

stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate, which was wonderful. We hit the parks as soon as the rope dropped on all three days, took a break around 2 or 3 to go back and take a swim or nap, make dinner and then headed back to the park until closing or close to it.

I think we are staying in the near vicinity of you but at the Best Western Park Place in July. Do you recall about how long the walk was from the parks/esplanade to your room?

We also used the Touring Plan to help us optimize time which helped quite a bit. .

Did you use your plan from Touring Plans.com? And what was your attack for RSR & WoC?

Thanks for your thoughts, we share many of the same opinions.

TP2000

Having been regulars to WDW we were trying not to compare DCA to DHS, but it was hard not to. If we were to compare, DCA blows DHS out of the water, as much as DL blows MK away.

Yup, that about sums it up. Welcome to the club! :D

There's a reason why Disneyland has been world famous since 1955. Since 2005 it's been particularly well cared for and buffed to a sheen. And DCA since 2012 is a companion park very worthy of sitting 75 yards away from Walt's masterpiece.

You should see the place at Christmastime, when nearly ever land in both parks are decorated to the full themed tilt. It's jaw-droppingly stunning in December.

StarWarsGirl

BTMRR, IASW, PotC, Tiki Room (loved how it is full every show), HM, Autopia, Monorail (love to be able to sit up front and it feels like a ride not transportation), and BLAB (nice to be able to hold the blaster).
MK still has a better PP, SM (though loved the music on DL, just not the ride), Astro-orbiter (belongs up high not blocking the path), and Splash Mt (we get splashed in MK got soaked at DL).
Could you explain why BTMRR was better in DL than WDW? I don't mean this to be rude; it's a genuine question as it was closed the last time I was there and when I went in 2009, I thought they were pretty much equal. My understanding was that the only difference is that they are mirror tracks.

Agree with you on Splash; we really didn't like the DL version. Got soaked, but thankfully we were at Grand Californian using our DVC points so we just walked back. I think the inclusion of Disney characters is what pushes IASW DL over the WDW version (And it starts outside, but they can't exactly do that in FL...:rolleyes:). Agree on POTC too; there's about four extra scenes in the DL version. Fantasmic...yes the dragon is better, but I didn't like how it basically blocked the path during the show and if you were walking by, the strobe lighting made it very hard to see. Prefer the amphitheater where you can sit...and while the show is going, it doesn't interefere with those heading to nearby attractions

StarWarsGirl

Did you use your plan from Touring Plans.com? And what was your attack for RSR & WoC?

Well, I'm not the OP, but I can answer.

WOC I would get a FP for the later show. There's also a dining package option. Either one will get you to a better viewing area.

For RSR, you need to get there at rope drop and either get a FP right away or immediately hop in line. Otherwise, just use singles.

StarWarsGirl

Love the fact that DL resort uses single rider lines on some of the more popular attractions. Would love to see WDW start doing this.
WDW does: EE, RnRC, TT are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Bonus: next time you go to WDW, for Everest, a lot of times when they have empty seats in the back of the train, they'll use single riders to fill it up rather than looking for parties to fill it up, so sometimes you'll ride next to one another.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Could you explain why BTMRR was better in DL than WDW? I don't mean this to be rude; it's a genuine question as it was closed the last time I was there and when I went in 2009, I thought they were pretty much equal. My understanding was that the only difference is that they are mirror tracks.

Agree with you on Splash; we really didn't like the DL version. Got soaked, but thankfully we were at Grand Californian using our DVC points so we just walked back. I think the inclusion of Disney characters is what pushes IASW DL over the WDW version (And it starts outside, but they can't exactly do that in FL...:rolleyes:). Agree on POTC too; there's about four extra scenes in the DL version. Fantasmic...yes the dragon is better, but I didn't like how it basically blocked the path during the show and if you were walking by, the strobe lighting made it very hard to see. Prefer the amphitheater where you can sit...and while the show is going, it doesn't interefere with those heading to nearby attractions

The recently finished an upgrade on BTMRR in DL. New track and new special effects instead of an earthquake they now have an explosion scene - refreshed and fixed all the props, animals, town etc.

StarWarsGirl

The recently finished an upgrade on BTMRR in DL. New track and new special effects instead of an earthquake they now have an explosion scene - refreshed and fixed all the props, animals, town etc.

Oh, okay. That explosion scene is pretty cool. I knew they were replacing the track; I saw photos of it here and when I was there, I looked through a tiny crack in the construction wall and saw that they were replacing the track.

thomas998

We just got back from a California vacation, which included three days at DL resort. We were there Wed, Thurs, and Good Friday (I know the busiest time to go). We, (DW, DD-14, DS-11, and myself), stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate, which was wonderful. We hit the parks as soon as the rope dropped on all three days, took a break around 2 or 3 to go back and take a swim or nap, make dinner and then headed back to the park until closing or close to it. We are a gluten free family so cooking our own dinners in usually prefered. We also used the Touring Plan to help us optimize time which helped quite a bit. Wednesday was DL only and even with the park supposedly at a 9+ out of 10 it didn't seem as crowded as the MK can feel. Maybe because there are so many dang rides to absorb the crowd. I was a little disappointed with IJA being down but being able to experience the updated BTMRR was great.

Last time I was at DL was Jan. 1998, so the only thing outside the gate was an empty parking lot (they were about to break ground on DCA). So none of us had experienced DCA yet, which we did on Thursday. Having been regulars to WDW we were trying not to compare it to DHS, but it was hard not to. If we were to compare, DCA blows DHS out of the water, as much as DL blows MK away. We were very pleased with DCA, even with the off the shelf rides you find on Paradise Pier. We were in awe of Cars Land and RSR was incredible. Not worth a 120 min wait we saw on Thursday but easily worth a 20-30 min wait in the single rider line. Also worth riding in day and again at night for a whole different feel.

Friday was for hitting the rides we missed on Wednesday and hitting our favorites before leaving Anahiem. Being able to walk onto PP, Pinocchio, MTWR, SWSA, Casey Jr, and Carrousel within the first hour of opening was great as Anna and Elsa had a 60 minute wait already, (saw it up to 120 min at one point). As we were leaving the wife was saying that she prefered coming back to DL over going to WDW for our next Disney vacation.

As my worthless opinion goes, in comparing rides, (again my and DW opinion not stated as fact), but rides at DL that are better than MK:

Other notes, wish the rides at Paradise Pier were a little longer, SSS, JJ, and GZ (why they call it that when it is silver I don't know), would have made it a little better. Sorry that LM was closed, haven't been on it yet as the last time we were at WDW (2011) they were still building it. CS is a great coaster, nice and smooth. TSMM fits in nicely with the PP theme. Skipped over Bugs land, ITTBAB was closed for the Maleficent preview. ToT is good but prefer the Florida version to this one. Soarin was nice a clear, last time in Epcot the film was dirty and looked horible. Looking forward to the digital projectors. Luigi's FT was very fun and not hard to control as others had stated. GRR much better than Kali. RCCT was closed (DW was looking forward to it as she is not a spinning ride person she looks for things like this for her entertainment). Fantasmic DL much better than Fantasmic DHS, but volume was way too loud, dragon and the use of Columbia and MT push this one over the edge. WoC show was awesome and would love to see it come to FL at some point. Aladdin show was great as was the soundsational parade at DL. Didn't catch the DCA parade. Love the fact that DL resort uses single rider lines on some of the more popular attractions. Would love to see WDW start doing this. I was able to zoom through USO last year (travelled to FL for business and did a couple days at USO) by using the single rider lines.

It has become our defacto first choice, mostly because it is usually about 150 a person cheaper to fly to LA than Orlando... but I would warn you that you need to be aware of ride closures in the off-season. They happen with much more frequency than at WDW and unfortunately they do not always give you much of a heads up... nor make that much sense, Indy was down for quite some time then came back only to be closed again in less than a years time for more work.... so you can't even really make an assumption that a ride will be open based on previous refurb work.

GiveMeTheMusic

It has become our defacto first choice, mostly because it is usually about 150 a person cheaper to fly to LA than Orlando... but I would warn you that you need to be aware of ride closures in the off-season. They happen with much more frequency than at WDW and unfortunately they do not always give you much of a heads up... nor make that much sense, Indy was down for quite some time then came back only to be closed again in less than a years time for more work.... so you can't even really make an assumption that a ride will be open based on previous refurb work.

True - some rides close regularly around the same time each year. small world and Haunted Mansion both have regular downtime to transition into and out of their holiday overlays. Splash Mountain and GRR usually close during the winter for a period of time (GRR's schedule is way out of whack this year).

It's a great feeling to be where it all started. We went July 2013 and loved both California Parks. I know there's been mixed reviews about bringing Cars Land to Hollywood Studios but I think that's something it needs. Also adding the Indiana Jones ride would be great. While the stunt show is good the ride is better. Can't wait to go back 2015.

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
I think we are staying in the near vicinity of you but at the Best Western Park Place in July. Do you recall about how long the walk was from the parks/esplanade to your room?

For transportation, even though it was a 15 min walk to the gate, we were going to be back and forth to the hotel for dinner, etc. so we opted for the ART pass. Busses came by about every 15 to 20 minutes so it was very convenient.

We created a custom plan from touring plans.com. For RSR, there was a 20 min wait (probably not that long but looked like it) just to get the FP's. So we opted for single rider line both times we rode it (once in the morning and once at night just before WoC. There was only one WoC show the night we were there, 9:45 and park closed at 10. TouringPlan sent us to Soaring first, then we went over to the WoC FP machines before going to PP. The only deviation we had to do was TSMM shut down while we were in line and had to skip it until later. The WoC FP's put us in the blue section, which was good.

WishIwasThere

Original Poster

They had just redone the ride with the new explosions effects, which were great. You really can't see it well if you are at the front of the train, but the second half of the train, it looks great from there. If and when we go back, we will likely skip the Fantasmic. Good to see and say you did it but it was sooo loud ears were ringing afterwards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom