Question: Marathon Park Stops?

atrus79

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

I've read through different posts here as well as on other blogs about some fun things people have done during the marathon. Besides the festivities that are taking place and the meet and greets, I've read about people who have jumped onto Expedition Everest while running past it in AK and just yesterday I read about someone stopping for a nice cold Coke in Epcot.

My question is ... what else has anyone done during the Marathon that is 'unusual' for a race ... but was a fun Disney experience?

I did a search for a similar post and couldn't find anything ... thought it might be fun to get ideas for next January :)

FerretAfros

I know several people who have gotten margaritas in Epcot and carried them across the finish line. The advent of MagicBands only helps make this sort of thing easier

A lot of it depends on your speed. If you're finishing in under ~5 hours, World Showcase probably won't be open when you're passing through (though they do allow spectators back there, it's pretty deserted). You'd likely need an even slower pace to ride Everest; in the past they've opened the ride early for runners, but with the current course it's earlier in the race so they're not as inclined to open it several hours earlier for runners

The Studios should be open by the time most runners make it through. Granted, there's not much quick right along the course there, but it probably has the most options nearby

Ariel484

Uh...nothing. :( Beyond stopping for most of the character pictures. I thought about hopping on Everest last year but I am pretty sure the backwards portion would totally do me in, so I skipped it. I still sort of regret it but I do think it was the right decision.

lukacseven

Every time I've done the marathon, World Showcase hasn't been open yet - I would definitely stop i nMexico for a drink. Back with the old marathon course, AK was around mile 17, so Everest was open when runners were going through and I've seen several people hop in line.

Texas84

I watched one year at Epcot late morning. Lots of runners had stopped for a beer. In January I saw runners getting in line for Everest. CMs were letting them in though FastPass or single rider. Not for me! I personally stopped for a fountain Coke in DHS (so good). But most important, the park bathrooms are open! So much better than the portables. Seemed like not all runners realized that. Got right in and right back out at MK and AK.

Mad Stitch

I'm a slow poke who was able to hop on Everest during the marathon. Let me add that this is something you should not be doing if you fear/are in danger of being swept. I have also had a friend hand me a Mickey ice cream bar as I was running through the Studios.

FerretAfros

I watched one year at Epcot late morning. Lots of runners had stopped for a beer. In January I saw runners getting in line for Everest. CMs were letting them in though FastPass or single rider. Not for me! I personally stopped for a fountain Coke in DHS (so good). But most important, the park bathrooms are open! So much better than the portables. Seemed like not all runners realized that. Got right in and right back out at MK and AK.
The park restrooms are definitely a must-do for me! This is where it helps to really know your course, and to know the parks, before the race starts. When possible avoid the first in-park restroom at each park (especially the TTC and Tomorrowland ones), since they can be busy with runners who have been holding it for several miles, but if you don't mind waiting a few minutes longer, you can find ones that are practically empty

I'm particularly fond of the ones in the Adventureland/Frontierland breezeway, near Everest, and near the main entrance to the Studios (where I literally ran into a buddy of mine who I thought was much further ahead of me). I also stopped in Germany during the 10K, but it's close enough to the end of the marathon that I would probably just hold it at that point

Ariel484

The park restrooms are definitely a must-do for me! This is where it helps to really know your course, and to know the parks, before the race starts. When possible avoid the first in-park restroom at each park (especially the TTC and Tomorrowland ones), since they can be busy with runners who have been holding it for several miles, but if you don't mind waiting a few minutes longer, you can find ones that are practically empty

I'm particularly fond of the ones in the Adventureland/Frontierland breezeway, near Everest, and near the main entrance to the Studios (where I literally ran into a buddy of mine who I thought was much further ahead of me). I also stopped in Germany during the 10K, but it's close enough to the end of the marathon that I would probably just hold it at that point
Okay...I'm thinking we need to compose a master list of park/"real" bathrooms on the race courses!!!

Kermit262

Hey everyone!

I've read through different posts here as well as on other blogs about some fun things people have done during the marathon. Besides the festivities that are taking place and the meet and greets, I've read about people who have jumped onto Expedition Everest while running past it in AK and just yesterday I read about someone stopping for a nice cold Coke in Epcot.

My question is ... what else has anyone done during the Marathon that is 'unusual' for a race ... but was a fun Disney experience?

I did a search for a similar post and couldn't find anything ... thought it might be fun to get ideas for next January :)
I love this idea! The only reason I'm running the marathon is because it's Disney, so I want to make the experience as Disneyfied as possible. I already planned to stop for the character photos, but riding a ride in the middle of a marathon sounds crazy and fun! Will definitely have to give this a lot of thought. o_O

LindsayLoves

I ran the 2013 marathon in around 5 hours and Everest wasn't open and neither was the World Showcase so if you want to enjoy those perks you will have to pace yourself accordingly.

All the "real" bathrooms (I only speak for the women's side, didn't pay attention to the men's) I went by had a long line out the door - especially those in MK early on in the race. The lines seemed to get shorter as the race went on but there was always a line out the door. Running races regularly has gotten me very accustomed to port-o-potties so the lure of standing in line for a bathroom is non-existent for me. Standing in line for a rare character, that's a whole other story...

Ariel484

I ran the 2013 marathon in around 5 hours and Everest wasn't open and neither was the World Showcase so if you want to enjoy those perks you will have to pace yourself accordingly.

All the "real" bathrooms (I only speak for the women's side, didn't pay attention to the men's) I went by had a long line out the door - especially those in MK early on in the race. The lines seemed to get shorter as the race went on but there was always a line out the door. Running races regularly has gotten me very accustomed to port-o-potties so the lure of standing in line for a bathroom is non-existent for me. Standing in line for a rare character, that's a whole other story...
I knew I liked you. :D

lukacseven

I wonder if you can get swept up if you make it as far as World Showcase? I know they shut the finish line down at some point but is there a point where they will no longer pick you up off the course? Maybe once you've entered Studios?

FerretAfros

I wonder if you can get swept up if you make it as far as World Showcase? I know they shut the finish line down at some point but is there a point where they will no longer pick you up off the course? Maybe once you've entered Studios?
Once you've made it out of the Studios and onto the waterside path toward the Boardwalk, you're home free. They can only sweep runners at places where they can feasibly get buses in. Since that path is so narrow, they let everybody finish after that point (though they could theoretically stick buses next to Millennium Showplace, but they don't). There are still course marshals on bikes in that area in case you need assistance

The last sweep point is the parking lot in front of the Studios, since the course goes right past the regular bus loop

JillC LI

Running races regularly has gotten me very accustomed to port-o-potties so the lure of standing in line for a bathroom is non-existent for me.

Forget port-o-potties. All my marathon training long runs were done on a bike path through the woods. When nature called, I found a tree with a nice wide trunk to hide behind! LOL. (I think I've gotten off track from the topic of this thread. lol)

LindsayLoves

Forget port-o-potties. All my marathon training long runs were done on a bike path through the woods. When nature called, I found a tree with a nice wide trunk to hide behind! LOL. (I think I've gotten off track from the topic of this thread. lol)

When nature calls, be one with nature...;)

I do get pretty miffed at people doing that in Central Park though because 1. there are so many public restrooms you aren't usually far from one and 2. even if it appears to be off the beaten path area we have so many visitors/park users that I can guarantee you that a school group will be playing hide and go seek in that same spot at some point throughout the day.

JillC LI

When nature calls, be one with nature...;)

I do get pretty miffed at people doing that in Central Park though because 1. there are so many public restrooms you aren't usually far from one and 2. even if it appears to be off the beaten path area we have so many visitors/park users that I can guarantee you that a school group will be playing hide and go seek in that same spot at some point throughout the day.

Yeah, a deserted path in the woods is one thing, but I definitely wouldn't do that in NYC.

OG Runner

Funny thing is last year, even before the race there was a large group using the trees, but no one was hiding behind the nice wide trunk.

JillC LI

Funny thing is last year, even before the race there was a large group using the trees, but no one was hiding behind the nice wide trunk.

When I ran the NYC Marathon, I was SOOOO happy to have been assigned to a Start on the upper deck of the Verrazzano Bridge because so many men were going off the sides during that first mile. I would NOT have wanted to be on that lower deck on a windy day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom