A PeoplemoverTTA Disney Wedding Planning Report - 7/15/2014

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Wow, I'm just looking at my last updates - we're down from 144 days to only 85 days until the wedding! Crazy, right? There have been just a few little updates.

Ceremony
Oh, so we ended up getting the chair hanger thingies - from the same seller who made the ones I linked to before, just without the star fish on there - it's aqua and raffia. I LOVE them! We also ordered our cake from the Swan through Just Marry. We have 21 (with Todd, Brandon and I), and the smallest cake feeds 19. The next one is more than $100 more, so I asked my sister and brother in law to share a piece, and Todd and I will share a piece, lol. It's just not worth it for $100 more! I told my sister they can have extra cupcakes at our wedding picnic here in Buffalo in August :). She totally agreed that it was the right call!

Tickets
Tickets are all purchased, and we customized our magic bands so that's ready to go too. We watched the new DVD a few weeks ago, and Brandon is totally stoked. He had a bunch of pennies saved up and has been rolling them - he's putting them toward his spending money for the trip. We're going to give him $150 to pick out whatever souvenirs he wants, but he also got some Disney $$ for his birthday, and even though he'll get that much money to spend regardless, we're working with him on "earning" it so he appreciates it more. We talked about it during the DVD, about how he'll see a lot he likes, but how it's important to only pick out the things he really wants, and he was like, "So if I see something I like, I should probably wait to see if I see something I like more, or to be sure I really want it." This kid learns fast, lol. But we're really proud - he is so pumped for the trip, and he's counting it down too. It warms my heart!

Dining
So this may be surprising, but we added the dining plan. Just last week. I realized that we were doing quite a few table meals, and that we could use our credits toward our welcome dinner and farewell breakfast! For the hassle of bringing more cash/traveler's checks, I figured let's just do it (it cost probably a few hundred dollars more than I had budgeted for food, but the convenience is just so nice). Plus we'll have extra meals and snacks for after Brandon leaves. I also ordered breakfast food, pop (soda for everyone who doesn't live in like Michigan or Buffalo!) and bottled water from Garden Grocer. So all we'll need is $$ for any extra snacks or drinks, plus for our wedding dinner at Shula's. This is just going to make it so much simpler.

Speaking of $$ - every last thing is paid for or saved for - souvenirs, food, every single element of the wedding. It's. All. Done. So awesome and such a relief. I know we were there before, but some details (like the dining plan) weren't finalized yet and all that. But it's really, unequivocally, 100% done. We have a little more saved than we need, I think, but I don't want to have to worry about money or anything while we're there, so I want to have extra. We can always use extra money when we get home, but I don't want to worry about anything while we're down there!

Registry
Here's some craziness - my first shower is only 3 weeks away. Time flies! I'm uncomfortable receiving gifts, but I'm excited to see family and get together. My brother is coming into town from Boston too (I wanted to see him before the wedding) - we're going to have some guys at the shower too. It's all a celebration - I am not traditional in that sense at all. Let's just all have a good time! Also, I am so touched that some family members have given us gifts through the Disney honeymoon registry. We can't wait to get our bride and groom ears, have our picture taken, and post when we get home on Facebook thanking the relative who "bought" them off our registry. I'm so glad I found that - it was an awesome idea!

Honeymoon Activities
I booked Todd a ride in a Ferrari through Richard Petty in March, and he was super stoked. Well last week we had a Groupon for the exact same experience at our NFL stadium...but for $300 less! I asked Todd if he would be disappointed to drive the same car here versus on our honeymoon, and he said no way - let's save some money, so we canceled Richard Petty this weekend and he's driving a Ferrari here in June. There was a $75 cancellation fee for Richard Petty, but we still get $200 back - we're using that for something else on our honeymoon. I'm thinking maybe tubing at the Contemporary. Has anyone done that before? He won't do parasailing, but Todd says he'll do tubing. It sounds so fun!!

Okay, I think that's it for now. If anyone has questions about planning a Disney (or Swan & Dolphin) wedding, or really any questions at all, just ask. I'm happy to share anything I can about this experience. It's been awesome - I can't believe we're less than 3 months away now!

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Wow, time flies! How awesome that you've got everything done with 85 days to spare. Let the countdown continue ...

I love your pictures, by the way - can't wait to see more! You've been such a huge help from the beginning - it really was overwhelming to think about all these details "way" back in October. Thank you :)

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Oh, I totally forgot something else!

Just Marry, a wedding planning company that works with the Swan & Dolphin (and my wedding planning company) had a contest on its Facebook page back in February or March. They launched a new website, and were offering a prize to anyone who submitted their review.

I was a website project manager for years and I currently own a social media/copywriting business, so I shared a really thorough review of their site, then promoted the heck out of them on my personal social profiles. So it was so awesome to learn a few weeks ago that I won the contest :D

There were several prizes to choose from, and only one was applicable to Todd and I since our wedding is all planned and paid for. So, after our wedding, we're getting a free 16x20 (I think that's the size) canvas print of one of our wedding photos. It's worth over $100. Isn't that awesome?!

I've been so happy with Just Marry. My planner's name is also Diana, so I suppose we were meant to be paired, lol. She has been so fantastic - she even sent me a note after I won telling me she was so glad that I won, and that she was telling everyone how sweet I am. So nice, and it really made my day (and Todd's too).

Sweet Melissa

I love your pictures, by the way - can't wait to see more! You've been such a huge help from the beginning - it really was overwhelming to think about all these details "way" back in October. Thank you :)
Aww, it was my pleasure. :happy: I'll be posting a few more pictures and vendor reviews soon. I put up a bunch on Facebook over the weekend.

PartOfYourWorld

I am so happy that your wedding is not too far off now!!! Thanks for responding about Raynaud's...Mine hasn't gotten worse, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I am so happy too to hear taht everything for the wedding is paid for, etc. That must be a huge relief!

You'll have to let me knwo how the Ferrari thing is! I've always wanted to do the Richard Petty in WDW, well I would want to do a ride-along in a race car though not the Ferrari or fancy cars I call them lol.

I've never been tubing or para-sailing at the Contemporary but it sure sounds fun!!

Congrats on winning that contest too!!! That's awesome!!!! :)

RMichael21

Wow, I'm just looking at my last updates - we're down from 144 days to only 85 days until the wedding! Crazy, right? There have been just a few little updates.

Ceremony
Oh, so we ended up getting the chair hanger thingies - from the same seller who made the ones I linked to before, just without the star fish on there - it's aqua and raffia. I LOVE them! We also ordered our cake from the Swan through Just Marry. We have 21 (with Todd, Brandon and I), and the smallest cake feeds 19. The next one is more than $100 more, so I asked my sister and brother in law to share a piece, and Todd and I will share a piece, lol. It's just not worth it for $100 more! I told my sister they can have extra cupcakes at our wedding picnic here in Buffalo in August :). She totally agreed that it was the right call!

Tickets
Tickets are all purchased, and we customized our magic bands so that's ready to go too. We watched the new DVD a few weeks ago, and Brandon is totally stoked. He had a bunch of pennies saved up and has been rolling them - he's putting them toward his spending money for the trip. We're going to give him $150 to pick out whatever souvenirs he wants, but he also got some Disney $$ for his birthday, and even though he'll get that much money to spend regardless, we're working with him on "earning" it so he appreciates it more. We talked about it during the DVD, about how he'll see a lot he likes, but how it's important to only pick out the things he really wants, and he was like, "So if I see something I like, I should probably wait to see if I see something I like more, or to be sure I really want it." This kid learns fast, lol. But we're really proud - he is so pumped for the trip, and he's counting it down too. It warms my heart!

Dining
So this may be surprising, but we added the dining plan. Just last week. I realized that we were doing quite a few table meals, and that we could use our credits toward our welcome dinner and farewell breakfast! For the hassle of bringing more cash/traveler's checks, I figured let's just do it (it cost probably a few hundred dollars more than I had budgeted for food, but the convenience is just so nice). Plus we'll have extra meals and snacks for after Brandon leaves. I also ordered breakfast food, pop (soda for everyone who doesn't live in like Michigan or Buffalo!) and bottled water from Garden Grocer. So all we'll need is $$ for any extra snacks or drinks, plus for our wedding dinner at Shula's. This is just going to make it so much simpler.

Speaking of $$ - every last thing is paid for or saved for - souvenirs, food, every single element of the wedding. It's. All. Done. So awesome and such a relief. I know we were there before, but some details (like the dining plan) weren't finalized yet and all that. But it's really, unequivocally, 100% done. We have a little more saved than we need, I think, but I don't want to have to worry about money or anything while we're there, so I want to have extra. We can always use extra money when we get home, but I don't want to worry about anything while we're down there!

Registry
Here's some craziness - my first shower is only 3 weeks away. Time flies! I'm uncomfortable receiving gifts, but I'm excited to see family and get together. My brother is coming into town from Boston too (I wanted to see him before the wedding) - we're going to have some guys at the shower too. It's all a celebration - I am not traditional in that sense at all. Let's just all have a good time! Also, I am so touched that some family members have given us gifts through the Disney honeymoon registry. We can't wait to get our bride and groom ears, have our picture taken, and post when we get home on Facebook thanking the relative who "bought" them off our registry. I'm so glad I found that - it was an awesome idea!

Honeymoon Activities
I booked Todd a ride in a Ferrari through Richard Petty in March, and he was super stoked. Well last week we had a Groupon for the exact same experience at our NFL stadium...but for $300 less! I asked Todd if he would be disappointed to drive the same car here versus on our honeymoon, and he said no way - let's save some money, so we canceled Richard Petty this weekend and he's driving a Ferrari here in June. There was a $75 cancellation fee for Richard Petty, but we still get $200 back - we're using that for something else on our honeymoon. I'm thinking maybe tubing at the Contemporary. Has anyone done that before? He won't do parasailing, but Todd says he'll do tubing. It sounds so fun!!

Okay, I think that's it for now. If anyone has questions about planning a Disney (or Swan & Dolphin) wedding, or really any questions at all, just ask. I'm happy to share anything I can about this experience. It's been awesome - I can't believe we're less than 3 months away now!
Also, we did tubing in the Caribbean. Best thing ever! (I think your talking about the one where you sit in a tube and a boat pulls you along right)? Anyway, my entire family loved it and it would definitely be worth it tubing at WDW of all places! But, we also did parasailing in the Caribbean and it really isn't that scary. I was really nervous beforehand, but when I was up in the air, I had the time of my life. I hope you have a Great Disneymoon!
-RMichael21

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
YAY!!! It's almost time!! Time really has flown by!! I'm super excited for you!! :)

Thanks! :) Any new plans for your move? I haven't seen anything about the condo on Facebook from my cousin (although he'll be at the wedding so I can find out more then!).

Loving all the updates. I can't wait for the big, giant, trip report that will come in late July!!

Thanks - can you imagine how long that TR is going to be? And is it weird that I'm already looking forward to writing it, even though we haven't even gone yet?!

I just came across this. Congratulations to you!!! Wishing you a beautiful, fun filled wedding!!!

Thank you so much - I am so excited for the wedding, but even more importantly to be Todd's wife. We're a pretty darn good pair :inlove:

I am so happy that your wedding is not too far off now!!! Thanks for responding about Raynaud's...Mine hasn't gotten worse, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I am so happy too to hear taht everything for the wedding is paid for, etc. That must be a huge relief!

You'll have to let me knwo how the Ferrari thing is! I've always wanted to do the Richard Petty in WDW, well I would want to do a ride-along in a race car though not the Ferrari or fancy cars I call them lol.

I've never been tubing or para-sailing at the Contemporary but it sure sounds fun!!

Congrats on winning that contest too!!! That's awesome!!!! :)

I will absolutely fill you in on the Ferrari thing. For $99 on Groupon, it just seemed like a crazy good deal. I feel badly about Richard Petty, but we can do so much with the $200+ we saved after fees and the $99 for the new one, it just seemed crazy not to do it.

Oh, and random thing that happened this week - I went to my bank (where I opened my first bank account 16 years ago as a 17 year old) for Traveler's Cheques. We have a small credit card we pay off in full every month, but we pay cash for just about everything. Well we were concerned about how to pay for our welcome party and breakfast with a security cap on debit card spending and not wanting to bring that much cash. The manager at 'Ohana recommended Traveler's Cheques when I booked - sounded like a great idea. I know everywhere in WDW takes them, and we're protected if anything happens to them.

Anyway, so I went to the bank with a ton of money for all these Traveler's Cheques, and the teller was so annoyed that I was buying them. She told me I should join AAA just to buy them from them (which would have cost me a ton more), told me "No one really uses Traveler's Cheques anyway," then when I said I don't use credit and don't feel safe with my debit card in case it was stolen she said, "Well your Traveler's Cheques could be stolen."

Uh yeah, but they're protected if they are....

She even told me I'd have to pay twice as much in fees as it actually cost...like she was making stuff up because she didn't want the "hassle" of filling them out and selling them to me! It was the most awkward encounter I have ever had. I felt like they did not want me as a customer at all (and I have been banking there my entire adult life!). So of course I went to Twitter and tweeted about it :D I ended up getting a call from the "office of the chairman," who was super nice. I gave them the teller's name and she thanked me profusely. Great service from them.

I mean seriously - I explained to her why we needed the Traveler's Cheques and I am always super friendly to everyone - what the heck?!

Random rant over - sorry :)

May I recommend Il Mulino at the Swan for one of your days at DHS or Epcot? The food there is really amazing.

I've heard wonderful things about Il Mulino - thanks for the recommendation! I'm wondering where we might be able to fit it in, but I'm going to take a look :)

Also, we did tubing in the Caribbean. Best thing ever! (I think your talking about the one where you sit in a tube and a boat pulls you along right)? Anyway, my entire family loved it and it would definitely be worth it tubing at WDW of all places! But, we also did parasailing in the Caribbean and it really isn't that scary. I was really nervous beforehand, but when I was up in the air, I had the time of my life. I hope you have a Great Disneymoon!
-RMichael21

Yup, the one where you're on a tube and pulled behind the boat is the one we're going to do. Todd's afraid of heights, so it's the one he's most comfortable doing.

Although in my anniversary TR, he was adamant about not riding ToT, only to change his mind when we got there...maybe he'll change his mind on the parasailing too!

PartOfYourWorld

I will absolutely fill you in on the Ferrari thing. For $99 on Groupon, it just seemed like a crazy good deal. I feel badly about Richard Petty, but we can do so much with the $200+ we saved after fees and the $99 for the new one, it just seemed crazy not to do it.

Oh, and random thing that happened this week - I went to my bank (where I opened my first bank account 16 years ago as a 17 year old) for Traveler's Cheques. We have a small credit card we pay off in full every month, but we pay cash for just about everything. Well we were concerned about how to pay for our welcome party and breakfast with a security cap on debit card spending and not wanting to bring that much cash. The manager at 'Ohana recommended Traveler's Cheques when I booked - sounded like a great idea. I know everywhere in WDW takes them, and we're protected if anything happens to them.

Anyway, so I went to the bank with a ton of money for all these Traveler's Cheques, and the teller was so annoyed that I was buying them. She told me I should join AAA just to buy them from them (which would have cost me a ton more), told me "No one really uses Traveler's Cheques anyway," then when I said I don't use credit and don't feel safe with my debit card in case it was stolen she said, "Well your Traveler's Cheques could be stolen."

Uh yeah, but they're protected if they are....

She even told me I'd have to pay twice as much in fees as it actually cost...like she was making stuff up because she didn't want the "hassle" of filling them out and selling them to me! It was the most awkward encounter I have ever had. I felt like they did not want me as a customer at all (and I have been banking there my entire adult life!). So of course I went to Twitter and tweeted about it :D I ended up getting a call from the "office of the chairman," who was super nice. I gave them the teller's name and she thanked me profusely. Great service from them.

I mean seriously - I explained to her why we needed the Traveler's Cheques and I am always super friendly to everyone - what the heck?!

Random rant over - sorry :)

FUnny thing about Groupon...my friend who is a co-op where I work told me he got an email for a groupon to do a NASCAR ride along at the New Hampshire International Speedway up here for half off of the regular price of $129! so it ends up being $64. I have to talk to my husband maybe we'll do it this summer, but I just thought it was so funny that you had just mentioned something similar on here.

What a strange encounter for the Cheques, I mean who cares if not a lot of people use it anymore, if a customer wants to buy some then you give it to them...simple as that. Some people just don't want to do their job I guess..ridiculous. But I'm glad that one of the higher ups saw that and got back to you right away! That's good customer service!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Hi Guys! Well, time continues to fly :)

We had our wedding shower on Saturday (my dad's side of the family is having a big family picnic which will also be kind of a shower on May 31). Todd was there - we are so non-traditional in some ways! My brother in law was there, my brother and my dad too (my dad has kind of come to stuff since my mom passed away anyway). We had 35 people and it was an awesome time!

Our Disney Honeymoon Registry was the best idea ever - we are so grateful and humbled that our family generously gave us gifts. It feels weird - we didn't do anything to deserve gifts! But we are so grateful for them! We received some things for our home, as well as some Disney gifts for our honeymoon. Such an awesome time! My sister, aunt and Todd's mom really did a wonderful job. My sister ordered castle-shaped cookies and we made cupcakes with awesome custom toppers I ordered from Etsy. The favors were glass slippers with M&Ms (some of which were custom with Todd and I on them!), and Mickey-shaped oreo truffles my sister ordered. Here are a few pics:

Todd and I (my sister got me some "Bride to Be" Elton John-inspired glasses!):
10336634_10203089232305997_7791380951262945708_n.jpg

The Cupcakes:
IMG_2683.jpg

Shoot, I don't have pictures of the Mickey oreo truffles or the glass slippers. If anyone wants to see them, I can track them down from my sister!

Also, we're at 64 days now...which means we leave for WDW in 60! I made our FP+ reservations today. It was weird, because the first few days were easy since we'll be with Brandon. But after that...I mean how do we know what we're going to want to do the last few days of our honeymoon? Oh well, we just kind of plugged things in for now. Overall, though, the process was super easy.

Not too many other updates...I called Men's Warehouse to coordinate delivery of Todd and Eric's (the best man) tuxes to the Boardwalk, so that's all set. I'm calling to schedule my dress alterations tomorrow (it's tea length, so I think they should be pretty easy!).

I think that's it! Like wow...we are seriously getting close now! We are halfway through May already...which means we're closing in on June, which is a hop skip and a jump from July. Craziness! :)

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Thanks, Melissa - it really is the home stretch! 64 days :)

I just made my appointment for dress alterations too...it's tea length, so hopefully it won't take too long. I think I'm going to cry wearing my wedding dress again. It felt weird trying it on in October...it seemed so far away. But now here we are, it'll be 59 days away on Saturday. I think the reality of it will hit me and I'll cry like a baby :D

Disnee4Me

I just love these cupcakes. Too bad we didn't think of anything like that back in the day when we got married in '87. But we did have a Mickey-Minnie bride & groom that a dear friend painted in her ceramics class

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I am so busy with work and family stuff - the time just keeps flying! 53 more days, and 7 weeks from today we leave for Orlando. I hope these next few weeks go by fast. I feel like once we hit the one month mark it will really fly. A couple new things this week:

Wedding Dress
Last Saturday I went for dress alterations. I bought my dress at David's Bridal but didn't take it there - their service really is horrible (they were so rude and inattentive to my sister for her wedding - and she was so far from a bridezilla). They did a really sloppy job and charged her $200! For my cousin's wedding later that summer (2012), she went to a small tailor who was referred to her and she was great, so I went there.

Now this was probably a bad idea, but I never tried on my wedding dress when I picked it up...in November (oops!). I actually didn't even try on that size in the store - they had me try on an 8, but they ordered a 6. I didn't think of how stupid that was until I got to the tailor and she asked me what I needed. I told her I had no clue and that I hadn't put it on yet. She was super nice, though - it ended up needing to be taken in at the waist, and I needed some assistance elsewhere too (everything is built into it, so she had to do some work on the...supportive aspect). I pick it up on June 14, so that I have time to try it on and make any extra alterations that might be needed with plenty of time to ship it to Carolyn Allen's two weeks ahead of the wedding.

Marriage License
We are getting our marriage license through Brevard county, which means it's all done through the mail and we don't have to leave during our trip to pick it up. We completed the initial application back in November after our date was confirmed and they send the remaining paperwork approximately 60 days before the wedding. The first batch had a typo (really - you think my name is "DIAM" and not Diana?!), but they were really helpful and sent the correct paperwork the next day. So this afternoon after work, Todd and I have to go to the bank and sign everything in front of a notary, then have the notary put her seal on it and mail it along with our processing fee of $93.50.

Then, they process it and mail us our final form for Ron to sign and send after our wedding - woo hoo!

Music
Last night, Todd shared with me the few songs he had selected for us to dance to during the cake cutting, after the wedding ceremony. He is such a huge music buff, I let him pick them all out. He picked 5 songs and I told him we'd probably have time for 2 or 3, so we danced to all of them in the living room after Brandon went to bed and picked out our favorites :) Then, because we were feeling nostalgic, we went through the past 7 months on my iPhone, starting with the day he proposed (including the panoramic picture he tricked me into taking that ended with him holding the ring :happy:). The proposal pic had us both a bit misty...it was sweet.

So Todd is a HUGE Chicago fan - two of the three songs we went with are by them:
- Will You Still Love Me
- Long Lost Friend (which apparently is a random B track and isn't on YouTube!)

And the last one, which I hadn't heard before he played it for me:
- Dream Come True

Final Wedding Details
We have to get Todd's mandals this weekend, I think - just to wrap it up. Then we also need box or something for Brandon to use to hold the rings and take them down the aisle. Oh, and I'm super excited for this one...

Wedding Favors
So, we weren't really sure what to do for wedding favors. Originally we were going to do suckers with us on the label from Oriental Trading, but I wasn't really excited about it - plus, I didn't know how well they'd ship to Just Marry, and in the heat they'd probably get all sticky and gross.

Then, I wanted to do personalized Mickey ears with everyone's names on them. What a great photo op! But that would be like $300 for 18 guests, so Todd and I were scrambling to think of what we could do...

I had seen some cute Mickey bride and groom cookies as well, but there's no way they'd ship to Orlando well.

So we randomly looked on Etsy last night - I had done the exact same search like 5 times. But this time we found the perfect favor and I ordered them this morning. What do you think? Hopefully everyone will wear them, cause we're super excited for them!

That should do it for now...I'm so excited :)

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

OMG I LOVE those buttons!! How awesome!!!!! The PERFECT wedding favor!! YAY!! :)

Can't believe it's almost time! I remember reading your reports when I first joined almost 4 years ago! I'm really excited to read this one when it's all done! :)

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
OMG I LOVE those buttons!! How awesome!!!!! The PERFECT wedding favor!! YAY!! :)

Can't believe it's almost time! I remember reading your reports when I first joined almost 4 years ago! I'm really excited to read this one when it's all done! :)

Thanks, Darolyn! Wow, it has been that long, hasn't it?! Those early TRs feel like a lifetime ago.

Are you going to do the ToT 10-miler this year? I'm finally going to do a runDisney race!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom