BLT - thoughts/suggestions

gwhb75

Original Poster
Hi all. Our wait list for BLT came through a few weeks ago, and we are kind of excited about it. It's our first time staying at a monorail resort, and we're really looking forward to it.

However...we're also a bit concerned since we've stayed at AKL the past few years and really loved it, and we know BLT is a lot different in terms of feel and theming.

Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at BLT - what you liked, what you didn't like, things we should do, things we may want to avoid, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Both places have their pros and cons. AKL is probably only rivaled by Wilderness Lodge when it comes to commitment to theming. CR and BLT are less natural and more concrete. The decor is supposed to be modern and contemporary but it doesn't appeal to everyone. Some of the major pros to BLT are location, location and location. The obvious is the short walk or monorail ride to MK. My advise if you are leaving MK at a crowded time is skip the monorail and walk back. It's less than 10 minutes and so stress free while others are fighting for room on a monorail, ferry or bus. You also have a monorail ride to EPCOT. The TTC is the first stop after CR and you have to change monorails there, but it's still convenient. Coming back from EPCOT you get on at TTC and have great views of MK lit up at night as you circle the lake. Depending on where your room is you could have views of Wishes fireworks or the electric light boat parade thing they have each night in the lake after MK closes. You also have Top of the World Lounge to see wishes (great views with the music piped in from Main Street). If you have a MK view room they also have a tv channel with the sound for wishes.

CR itself has some good restaurants and you can hop the monorail to Poly or GF too. Definitely spend some time eating in those places and enjoying the monorail. You can also get a boat from the CR marina to either Wilderness Lodge or the camp ground. If you are interested in the hoopdy doo revue or Mickeys backyard BBQ it's really easy to get to the camp ground. WL has some good restaurants and a great vibe. If you are missing the natural beauty of AKL and want to escape the urban feel of CR for a little while take the boat to WL and explore. The boat ride itself is very relaxing and Bay Lake has a lot of natural beauty.

Another thing that makes the monorail resorts special is the history. If you do a quick search there are sites dedicated to both resorts and some of their history. Tikiman's Poly page is really good. The unique architecture and construction plus knowing they were part of the original WDW in 1971 is pretty cool.

slappy magoo

Goof pretty much nailed everything. You probably won't feel that sense of awe walking into BLT that you feel walking into AKL/VAK. But you will feel that awe while walking to MK...or seeing the fireworks from the lounge...or (depending on your room view) seeing those fireworks or the water pageant from your room. One of my fondest memories of our last trip was out last night. We were staying in BLT. My wife took our baby back to the room and I had my almost-4 year old at the park to catch the parade, and by the time I got her back to the room and ready for bed, she was almost asleep when the pageant started and we got her out of bed (well, the convertible chair) to watch it, and she was so sleepy-happy she remarked the next morning that she thought she dreamed the whole thing and then felt happier than the dream because she knew it really happened. IN YOUR FACE, DREAM WORLD! :)

Unless you feel the need to be a park commando every day, take at least half a day to resort hop via the monorail and ferries. It's fun. Plan a breakfast at ohanas, then stroll through GF, from MK ferry over to WL and FW, have lunch either at Whispering Canyon or Trails End depending on what you choose and when lunch time occurs when you're where you are. It's a hoot.

tjkraz

Overall I like BLT. The room style appeals to me and there's something special about walking through the CR tower with the monorail gliding past. Many dining and shopping options. Great marina.

I do think the transportation is a little overrated. Monorail trips to-and-from Epcot require two trains with a switch at the TTC. Most resort buses can get you there quicker. Being able to walk from MK to the hotel is a decent enough benefit but the walk is probably further than you think. Still, better than waiting for a bus in many cases--particularly if you are leaving the park with thousands of others.

The pool facilities are not the best. The Bay Cove Pool right by BLT is often shaded in the afternoon as the sun is beginning to go down to the west. And the main pool is one of Disney's more mediocre offerings.

Lastly, Studio villas at BLT are basically the smallest DVC has to offer. (AKV Value might be a little smaller--but at least you're getting a break in the nightly cost for those rooms.) The queen bed and sofa bed are crammed in the one room with little space to move around.

One Bedroom (and larger) villas are plenty comfortable, though. The sleeper chair and 2nd bathroom are great additions for larger families or folks with older kids.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Overall I like BLT. The room style appeals to me and there's something special about walking through the CR tower with the monorail gliding past. Many dining and shopping options. Great marina.

I do think the transportation is a little overrated. Monorail trips to-and-from Epcot require two trains with a switch at the TTC. Most resort buses can get you there quicker. Being able to walk from MK to the hotel is a decent enough benefit but the walk is probably further than you think. Still, better than waiting for a bus in many cases--particularly if you are leaving the park with thousands of others.

The pool facilities are not the best. The Bay Cove Pool right by BLT is often shaded in the afternoon as the sun is beginning to go down to the west. And the main pool is one of Disney's more mediocre offerings.

Lastly, Studio villas at BLT are basically the smallest DVC has to offer. (AKV Value might be a little smaller--but at least you're getting a break in the nightly cost for those rooms.) The queen bed and sofa bed are crammed in the one room with little space to move around.

One Bedroom (and larger) villas are plenty comfortable, though. The sleeper chair and 2nd bathroom are great additions for larger families or folks with older kids.

Thanks for the info.

jeffk410

I am doing a split stay between AKL and BLT in two weeks. (4 nights each) I have stayed at AKL three times before, but BLT will be my first. I'll provide you my insight once I am back. (Thats if you care!)

I am sure you will enjoy BLT though. It will definitely be a different feel, but the convenience to MK is a factor that is pretty unique. I have done the walk numerous times and it is quite short.

slappy magoo

Can't speak for everyone, but even if a bus ride to Epcot from CR is technically quicker (and that depends greatly on timing, how long you wait for monorails versus how long you'd have to wait for a bus and if it's a shared bus so you deal with a detour), the monorail is, for lack of a better word, "funner."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can't speak for everyone, but even if a bus ride to Epcot from CR is technically quicker (and that depends greatly on timing, how long you wait for monorails versus how long you'd have to wait for a bus and if it's a shared bus so you deal with a detour), the monorail is, for lack of a better word, "funner."
The monorail is a ride itself. The monorail ride to EPCOT especially since you go through the actual park. I remember my first trip staying at CR and taking the monorail to EC. I was blown away by seeing SSE approach and then seeing the park from above. It was the 80s so no Internet so I hadn't seen it before. Each trip since I always get excited for that approach. It brings back memories for me equal to walking down Main Street and seeing the castle.

Texas84

Love BLT. If you don't get the MK view ask at check-in. Or watch from the lounge. Just reinforcing what everyone else has said, but walk to MK and monorail to Epcot. The transfer isn't bad. Rent a small boat and explore the lakes. Take a launch to Wilderness Lodge for lunch or dinner. It is a bit of an uphill hike from the WL dock though.

tjkraz

That's basically my point. Monorail may be "funner" but it isn't necessarily more practical.

On average, I'd be willing to be that the round-trip travel time from BLT to Epcot is no shorter than SSR or OKW to Epcot. Even with the multiple stops at those two resorts, I'm not sure the monorail trip back from Epcot is any better with a train change at the TTC followed by stops at Poly, GF, and MK before arriving at CR.

Sentimental feelings aside, it's still just another form of mass transit IMO.

DougK

I love BLT but the studios are annoyingly small. And they are not all the same size even within BLT no matter what some people may tell you. They seem to range from about 339 square feet down to about 310 square feet, more like a moderate than a deluxe. I know this from personal experience. Oh and bring a soap dish (of all things). We have stayed in about 10 different studios at BLT and none of them have soap dishes built in to the shower. I don't know if the 1 and 2 bedroom units have them or not. The construction budget must have been REALLY tight!

slappy magoo

That's basically my point. Monorail may be "funner" but it isn't necessarily more practical.

On average, I'd be willing to be that the round-trip travel time from BLT to Epcot is no shorter than SSR or OKW to Epcot. Even with the multiple stops at those two resorts, I'm not sure the monorail trip back from Epcot is any better with a train change at the TTC followed by stops at Poly, GF, and MK before arriving at CR.

I get it, I do, but for a lot of people (and as GoofGoof wrote earlier) the monorail itself is a ride. Most of my visits, when I go to MK I do take the bus to get there faster, but sometimes we drive and park because the ferry or monorail ride over to MK feels exciting, it builds anticipation. And the idea of whisking along the quiet train looking down on traffic only to kind of majestically sweep all around Future World to be tempted by all the choices before you disembark, is also a bit of theater that can add to the experience of going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If you are talking purely the fastest way to get somewhere then I agree. The fastest way is to rent a car and drive. The bus to EPCOT is likely quicker than the monorail (unless it didn't show up).

The difference to me is in the quality of the trip. Crammed standing on a bus while it stops 5 times before it even leaves my resort is not as relaxing or enjoyable as taking the monorail. Same goes for boats. The boat from WL to MK is probably slower than the bus, but it's the quality of the ride. Everyone puts different levels of priority on speed vs comfort vs experience so there's no right or wrong answer here.

slappy magoo

Let's face it, a trip to WDW isn't in and of itself "practical," know what I mean? But it puts a smile on your face and a song in your heart, so you go. And one of the reasons many people go, versus just frequenting their local amusement park and saving the money, is because of the little touches WDW adds that makes the experience seem special. And I'd include the monorail and ferries amongst those little touches.

TheBeastMom

3/2012 we had a family wedding in the middle of our DVC trip. We flew into Orlando on a Tuesday...rode to DVC on the ME had some good fun then on Friday Enterprise rent a car picked us up....we checked out and drove to TAMPA.

Monday morning we drove to BLT, dropped off the rental car and spent 3 horrible nights in a studio.

We were 2 adults with 4 pieces of luggage, two computer backpacks and a camper case.

We were put on the ground floor facing the Marina. NO PRIVACY at all! The drapes are black out drapes so, you close the drapes you are in the DARK.

There was nothing they would do...so we set out to enjoy the BLT DVC member amenities. The lounge on the roof must be where they send the surly barkeeps.... she explained they don't do food prep there so everything is pushed over the skywalk from the Contemporary. It was not the festive atmosphere they suggest and there are no comps....no happy hour snacks...everything is the same as other bar locations and the same price.

While we were there the front desk messed up the book keeping on our meal plan and we lost 4 counter services. We went through hell to get them back.

We approached the concierge about DVC discounts we had read about and none knew ANYTHING. The morning we checked out there were brochures about the Discounts but it was too late, we had to leave. It did not feel LIKE HOME.

The bathroom was not great, it seems cramped and the door doesn't really close tight so private bathroom sounds are amplified into the suite.

It's a long walk everywhere and the pool was full of tiny leaves/seeds as was every flat surface in March. the way the building surrounds the pool it echos the pool noise and shields it from sun. The pool area seemed cool/chilled most of the warmest days.

We went because we wanted the experience.... well we aren't heading back. We stayed at WLV the next March and enjoyed the resort 10x more than BLT.

KEEP IN MIND: ALL the monorail resorts SHARE a BUS. You STOP at Cont., GF, POLY every time to go some where....it gets old.

olewnikpe

Hi all. Our wait list for BLT came through a few weeks ago, and we are kind of excited about it. It's our first time staying at a monorail resort, and we're really looking forward to it.

However...we're also a bit concerned since we've stayed at AKL the past few years and really loved it, and we know BLT is a lot different in terms of feel and theming.

Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at BLT - what you liked, what you didn't like, things we should do, things we may want to avoid, etc.

Congrats on getting your wait list request! We just tried to book a room at BLT earlier this week for the second week of December, and had no availability, along with most other DVC resorts. So we decided to wait list not only for BLT, but also AKL, with the hope that one of them will come through. In the meantime, we're confirmed OKW. :(

slappy magoo

KEEP IN MIND: ALL the monorail resorts SHARE a BUS. You STOP at Cont., GF, POLY every time to go some where....it gets old.

Except MK, Epcot, TTC, Poly, GF, Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. :devilish:

J/K I'm sorry your experience was so subpar. I will add this, mostly to the OP - when I stayed there, it was in a 1BR Villa. I didn't even think about the studios, and I know other people besides TheBeastMom have now pointed this out, but the BLT studios are amongst the smallest rooms onsite, even smaller than any of the mods. If the OP is staying in a studio, it could get to feel cramped fast especially if there will be more than 2 people in the room (and with 4 people in the avatar, I'm guessing there will be). While I certainly hope that's not the case, it could be.

I don't think the deluxe resorts share buses all of the time, or just during slower seasons to save money. To the OP, when you arrive, I'd suggest asking the front desk what the situation is there. If all the monorail resorts are sharing buses, and IF you're going someplace other than MK or Epcot (like the Studios, AK or DtD), and IF you don't have your own car, you may want to consider taking the monorail to the TTC and busing from there. It's an extra stop, but compared to the two potential extra stops on the bus line, it might be a better use of your time. But since it seems that the Contemporary is always the first resort back, I'd use the buses to the resorts on the way back to your room FROM the parks or DtD.

PolynesianPrincess

We really loved being able to take the monorail to Epcot. It was heaven at the end of the long day to just walk up to the monorail platform without having to wait for a bus. We got on the first monorail out of the station and we back to the resort probably before we would have been had we been waiting for a bus. We also loved the walk to MK. It's better than fighting off the crowds trying to get to a bus at park closing! The pool was also nice too. I loved the slide! :)

The room itself at BLT left much to be desired. It seemed small, especially compared t our BWV studio we had in February. We had several things wrong with the room that made it seem like the room was worn and dated even though we know BLT has been open what, only 5 years now? We didn't mind the short walk over to the Contemp to get food, shop, etc.. The bus sharing was kind of annoying though. You think with what you pay for deluxe resorts you would get your own bus but I digress.... I would definitely stay at BWV or VWL over BLT again. We LOVED those two places!

gwhb75

Original Poster
We really loved being able to take the monorail to Epcot. It was heaven at the end of the long day to just walk up to the monorail platform without having to wait for a bus. We got on the first monorail out of the station and we back to the resort probably before we would have been had we been waiting for a bus. We also loved the walk to MK. It's better than fighting off the crowds trying to get to a bus at park closing! The pool was also nice too. I loved the slide! :)

The room itself at BLT left much to be desired. It seemed small, especially compared t our BWV studio we had in February. We had several things wrong with the room that made it seem like the room was worn and dated even though we know BLT has been open what, only 5 years now? We didn't mind the short walk over to the Contemp to get food, shop, etc.. The bus sharing was kind of annoying though. You think with what you pay for deluxe resorts you would get your own bus but I digress.... I would definitely stay at BWV or VWL over BLT again. We LOVED those two places!

Yeah, we're looking forward to being able to walk to the MK &/or take the monorail. Wasn't aware of the bus sharing, so we'll need to figure that out. Did you ever go up to the Top of the World Lounge?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom