Maleficent Sneak Peek at DCA

TP2000

Original Poster
Miceage has this note up today about the newly opened Maleficent theater attraction...

April 18, 2014: DCA Reveals Maleficent – The Maleficent sneak peek has opened in DCA and the redone Bug's theater is a great venue for it. DCA gets to keep the new RealD 3D system when the regular Bugs show returns in June - a huge improvement over the original film format. The Studio executives came down from Burbank on Wednesday to approve the venue and were thrilled with the results. AP audiences raved at their Thursday night preview.

Sounds like fun! Anyone go to the AP preview on Thursday night?

Let's use this thread for opinions and thoughts on the latest Disney Studio "sneak peek" to show up at DCA, an annual rite of spring and early summer for years.

GiveMeTheMusic

According to refurb sked Bugs will be back in late april

it's tough to be a bug has now reopened from its refurb, but it won't be showing it's tough to be a bug until the Maleficent preview is over (similar to what they did with MuppetVision in 2013 for the release of Oz the Great and Powerful).

Club Cooloholic

it's tough to be a bug has now reopened from its refurb, but it won't be showing it's tough to be a bug until the Maleficent preview is over (similar to what they did with MuppetVision in 2013 for the release of Oz the Great and Powerful).
Thanks. So how long does a preview last? How do you go about seeing it if your at the park?

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks. So how long does a preview last? How do you go about seeing it if your at the park?

I believe it will run thru sometime in June. It runs continuously, just like tough to be a bug - so you would just head to the theater to catch the next showing.

TTA94

Is this preview worth making a special trip to DHS? I mean is it basically the previews we have already seen online but just on a bigger screen? lol

TP2000

Original Poster
Is this preview worth making a special trip to DHS? I mean is it basically the previews we have already seen online but just on a bigger screen? lol

No, it's not the trailers/previews previously available. Without giving away spoilers, it's really a very well done peek at the entire movie. Very impressive! It lasts about 12 minutes. And they have put the fog/lighting/effects of the Bug's Theater to very good use for this new show at DCA.

Not sure what they've done with the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous stage at DHS, and there it might fall a bit flat without all the dramatic themeing, lighting, fog, etc. of the DCA version. But then, we all know Florida tourists don't care about all those extras anyway. It's just for the locals in SoCal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
I went and saw this Sneak Peek this weekend and I was very impressed! They've done a great job turning the Bug's Life Theater into a Maleficent mini-land. They've removed every reference to the Bug's show at the queue and attraction, and replaced it with all new signage, banners, décor, new uniforms for the CM's, and purple 3-D glasses instead of the "bug eyes". I noticed they even swapped out all the green Bug's Land trashcans at the attraction and area to remove any last trace of bugs.

And yes, they have used the special effects and lighting in the theater to great customized effect for Maleficent. The new RealD 3D projector system is STUNNING as well. Very impressive!

The resulting experience is very well done, and this Bug's venue is a perfect spot for this temporary show. Bravo TDA!

BliqK1TCMAA66kT.jpg:medium

tumblr_n4b66mEJFh1s8ism0o1_500.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom