Grand Floridian or Contemporary?

ohbrandon

Original Poster
Thoughts? Grand Floridian would be outer building and Contemporary would be tower. We currently have the Grand Floridian booked but we're thinking the Contemporary would be more convenient.

HouCuseChickie

While I think the Contemporary has more of a convenience factor...I think there are aspects to both that may help with your decision.

If you plan on pool time, which pool do you like better?
Do you have ADRs at either one that might make a stay at one or the other better for getting to meals?
Have you looked at the room décor? Does one grab you more than the other?
Which do you think might relax you more when you come back at the end of a busy day?

coachwnh

We have stayed at both several times, and opted for GF again in May over the Contemporary. The lobby and fourth floor are always so busy at the Contemporary. It never feels that crowded when we walk around the GF. The grounds are so much nicer to walk around at the GF as well. I like the walk to and from the MK from the Contemporary, but the monorail and boat are fast as well from the GF. Either way your choose, you are making a great choice!

rob0519

We've stayed at CR multiple times, but never GF. It's always been over the budget and I'm not thrilled with the room decor. If you're in a CR lake view room and you have your balcony door open during the day you will get the noise from the pool and the marina .

jlsHouston

I recently stayed at BLT, so I was over in the CONT a bit to dine and catch the monorail and shop. Really liked the feel of the CONT. Staying at the GF for the first time this summer and am very excited. Love the lobby of the GF. Love the grounds. I could have booked CONT with the PIN code for a few dollars less but picked GF. So I guess that says what I would pick in an either or situation between the two!

DisneyJunkie

Without any hesitation, I'd go with the tower room at the Contemporary. For me, it's both the close proximity to the MK (enough to walk to it), the novelty of the place that has the monorail running right through it, and (to me) just a cooler looking resort compared to the GF. The whole styling of the GF has never had any appeal to me, and even in walking through it and checking it out, I've noticed that when you look closer at the construction of the place, it's a lot cheaper-looking than its facade leads you to believe. I believe too you could get a much better view of the MK fireworks from the much-closer Contemporary than you could from the GF.

s&k'smom

OMG what a choice how fun! Because I've stayed at GF several times I would probably go with the CR just for the convenience, however GF is so lovely, every building has some kind of plus. If you want elegance GF. Darn now I've got to go watch our vacation DVD's to get a GF fix!

MaryJaneP

Lake View? IMHO keep GF reservation and monorail to CR and see if walk/amenities at CR are so different than GF to justify essentially paying nearly as much for what is really a downgrade.

slappy magoo

While I think the Contemporary has more of a convenience factor...I think there are aspects to both that may help with your decision.

If you plan on pool time, which pool do you like better?
Do you have ADRs at either one that might make a stay at one or the other better for getting to meals?
Have you looked at the room décor? Does one grab you more than the other?
Which do you think might relax you more when you come back at the end of a busy day?

No big deal, but considering how easy it is to get to one resort form the other (as well as the Poly), I wouldn't let ADRs be as much of a factor. And if you have ADRs anywhere else on property, I feel like both resorts are relatively easy to get to where you want to go - with GF, hop on the monorail to MK, with CR, walk over to MK, and bus to your resort of choice.

What IS convenient when it comes to ADRs is if you're going to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge, as the CR has boat access. GF has boat access to Poly (so you don't have to ride the monorail ALL the way around the lagoon) but I'd score that as a plus for CR. CR is also slightly more convenient if you plan to take the monorail to Epcot. Slightly less convenient when coming back from Epcot, but usually you're in more of a rush to get there than getting back.

HouCuseChickie

No big deal, but considering how easy it is to get to one resort form the other (as well as the Poly), I wouldn't let ADRs be as much of a factor. And if you have ADRs anywhere else on property, I feel like both resorts are relatively easy to get to where you want to go - with GF, hop on the monorail to MK, with CR, walk over to MK, and bus to your resort of choice.

I think some of it also may depend on the ADRs and your personal preferences with these things. For example, I'd much rather be at the Contemporary if I have a 7am at Chef Mickey's...especially if kids are involved. Also, if we're going during the peak heat and humidity of summer, I might consider how much my lodging choice might put me outside before going to a signature meal ...since makeup and hair aren't always very forgiving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom