Marcelline

jlevis

Original Poster
My wife and I will be paying a visit to Marcelline very soon. Any "must sees" while we are there?

jlevis

Original Poster
Thanks for the response and the site, it was very interesting. I have read a number of books and biographies about Walt and his years in Marceline. We're looking forward to this visit.

teacherlady19

2-1/2 years later, I am reading this forum and clicked into that blog. We're hoping to get to Marceline this summer -- so many years, we've stayed within 100 miles of Marceline and never went up there. This summer, I hope to finally get up there. Thanks, belatedly, for this link.

Here is a link to a book that has a bit of information about Walt Disney and his time in Marceline. It is not your usual book about Walt. This one is about Fred Harvey, the man and company that built restaurants and hotels, and had newsstands/gift shops, along the Santa Fe RR tracks. Evidently the Marceline station had just a newsstand. But the book tells about the times that Walt rode along the Santa Fe line:

http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Amer...+that+civilized+the+Wild+West+/+Stephen+Fried.

216bruce

The Walt Disney Hometown Museum in the train station is really very, very cool and has the friendliest staff of volunteers! Check it out. Also, if you can...go to the school where the studio artists painted murals on the walls (may not be allowed in- security these days) it's Walt Disney Elementary School. Also, the theater on Main Street is cool- It hosted a couple of Disney premieres and has a great B&B above it. A great town. I'll always treasure the day I spent there and it's in a lot of ways more 'real' Disney than the parks are these days.

teacherlady19

I posted our Marceline trip report in its own thread, but here are a couple of comments:

YES, the staff at the museum is friendly and helpful. You can't get in the school these days, even as a teacher from another school with my school ID along. So we didn't even try. The theatre marquee is starting to fall down so right now it is propped up and being repaired. The Dreaming Tree, unfortunately, is dead, but they have taken some seeds from it and planted "Son of Dreaming Tree" nearby. Not the same thing, but it's a nice tribute to Walt. The barn was wonderful to see but hot and stuffy inside, making me hope that Walt did his Animal Circus during the spring or fall months when the weather was cooler. Just walking down Kansas Ave....AKA Main Street USA....was really neat. My granddaughter (2) loved the park even though the only play equipment in it was an old fashioned "merry go round". She just wanted to run.

In most ways, Marceline is very typical of a Missouri small town. It didn't have a town square like Centralia, Mexico, or a few of the other small towns in the area. But it had the typical downtown.

We ate at Suzie Q's (labeled "ZACK'S" on the outside, making us almost miss it) for lunch, and Yumeez (right across the street) for dessert. YUM! Small town goodness!

Donna

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom