My one problem with Fantasia Gardens...

Matt_Black

Original Poster
While I'm not the biggest miniature golf fan, it can be fun with the right people. However, FG is just awesome with it's set-up. I could do it by myself and have a great time. (In fact, if I ever go down to WDW solo, I just might.)

Having said that, it's far from perfect. Quite frankly, any miniature golf course based on Fantasia without any holes devoted to Night on Bald Mountain or The Rite of Spring is SHAMEFUL. Who wouldn't want to put around a T-Rex standing triumphantly over a stegosaurus corpse? There are several holes dedicated to Toccata & Fugue in D-Minor, and those don't actually even reference anything you see in the movie! Let's see dinosaurs! Let's see Chernabog! Let's see mayhem, destruction and death! And it's cool, because then you'd follow it up with Ave Maria, so everything would be okay.

216bruce

There is a Bald Mountain hole, unless the Chernabog projection and music inside the mountain wasn't working. That's my only gripe about FG- a few holes need work. The ostriches used to spin on one of them and haven't for years, some of the other holes don't have music playing anymore and on occasion some of the other mechanicals (mushrooms?) stay broken for a while. Great course that needs more regular maintenance. I think the powers-that-be figure no one will notice....Wrong!

216bruce

I didn't notice. In the Gardens, or the Fairway? And that still doesn't excuse the lack of Rite of Spring!
Gardens course. I want to say its the 8th or 9th hole. Never played the Fairway course because I just love the Garden course and it looks too much like work and skill required. 'Yeah' on Rite of Spring- love to see it somewhere.
How about a Deems Taylor animatronic at a hole? After you sink the putt he starts explaining different kinds of classical music. Creepy...

MarkTwain

I know in orchestra circles, the rights to sheet music for Stravinksy compositions are REALLY expensive. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Stravinsky personally signed over his music rights to Walt Disney for Fantasia, but maybe that didn't extend as far as theme parks and Disney didn't want to pay for them?

You could also make the case that the tone of Rite of Spring doesn't quite match the happy fantasy theme of the rest of the course.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've never done Fantasia Gardens, but I was thinking about it for my upcoming trip in June. Anyone have any good pictures of it? I don't recall seeing any. We have done WinterSummerland a couple times and really love that theming.

Mammymouse

We always play the Gardens. My only complaint is that there are always leaves and other garden debris on the astroturf areas. Now miniature golf is the best I get at golfing so it is no biggy, but just kind of annoying when your ball gets trapped behind a magnolia leave when it could have been a hole in one! Also we have pretty regularly hit a lake ball or two and replacements always available at the checkin:D

belledream

I've never done Fantasia Gardens, but I was thinking about it for my upcoming trip in June. Anyone have any good pictures of it? I don't recall seeing any. We have done WinterSummerland a couple times and really love that theming.

Here's a few of mine - not the best pics, but we had a great time! I'm looking forward to going to Winter Summerland this year :)

Attachments

• 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 114.JPG
    114.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 116.JPG
    116.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 45

StarWarsGirl

We always play the Gardens. My only complaint is that there are always leaves and other garden debris on the astroturf areas. Now miniature golf is the best I get at golfing so it is no biggy, but just kind of annoying when your ball gets trapped behind a magnolia leave when it could have been a hole in one! Also we have pretty regularly hit a lake ball or two and replacements always available at the checkin:D
My dad has been known to clear off the leaves before he putts...

The Empress Lilly

While I'm not the biggest miniature golf fan, it can be fun with the right people. However, FG is just awesome with it's set-up. I could do it by myself and have a great time. (In fact, if I ever go down to WDW solo, I just might.)

Having said that, it's far from perfect. Quite frankly, any miniature golf course based on Fantasia without any holes devoted to Night on Bald Mountain or The Rite of Spring is SHAMEFUL. Who wouldn't want to put around a T-Rex standing triumphantly over a stegosaurus corpse? There are several holes dedicated to Toccata & Fugue in D-Minor, and those don't actually even reference anything you see in the movie! Let's see dinosaurs! Let's see Chernabog! Let's see mayhem, destruction and death! And it's cool, because then you'd follow it up with Ave Maria, so everything would be okay.
Hopefully it's any consolation, on the Fantasia Fairways there are references to Ave Maria and Rite of Spring. It's no Fantasia without them!

What I would love is some Fantasia 2000. I really liked that one.

I was thinking about making my next trip golf-centric, basically going from course to course!

Matt_Black

Original Poster
What I would love is some Fantasia 2000. I really liked that one.

Yeah, it's really short, but fun. Flying whales, Donald Duck, the Spring Sprite are all awesome. Rhapsody in Blue, though... It's really well done, but doesn't feel Fantasia-y. When I think of Fantasia, I don't envision people running around New York all day.

The Empress Lilly

Yeah, it's really short, but fun. Flying whales, Donald Duck, the Spring Sprite are all awesome. Rhapsody in Blue, though... It's really well done, but doesn't feel Fantasia-y. When I think of Fantasia, I don't envision people running around New York all day.
Oh no, I liked that Gershwin scene! Jazz-y music, American urbanism, adult themes. Altough the scene was good rather than great. I like it when Disney's creative traditions are deployed not to entertain kids, but for more ambitious cultural endeavour.

My fav scene was the last, Stravinsky again, with that green spring sprite. Just lovely.

FerretAfros

I know in orchestra circles, the rights to sheet music for Stravinksy compositions are REALLY expensive. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Stravinsky personally signed over his music rights to Walt Disney for Fantasia, but maybe that didn't extend as far as theme parks and Disney didn't want to pay for them?

You could also make the case that the tone of Rite of Spring doesn't quite match the happy fantasy theme of the rest of the course.

Interesting that the rights are more expensive than other composers. That theory could also explain why they use other music for the Primeval World diorama on the DL Railroad, even though the scene is often cited as being inspired by Rite of Spring in Fantasia (down to the T-rex/stegasoarus battle finale)

Funny, Rhapsody in Blue is my favorite segment by far in Fantasia 2000, and is the only new one that really captures the essence of the original film for me. Perhaps it's because the other segments tend to be very short and look like regular Disney animation, while this one is (slightly) longer and has a really distinctive style

MarkTwain

Oh no, I liked that Gershwin scene! Jazz-y music, American urbanism, adult themes. Altough the scene was good rather than great. I like it when Disney's creative traditions are deployed not to entertain kids, but for more ambitious cultural endeavour.

My fav scene was the last, Stravinsky again, with that green spring sprite. Just lovely.

Both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are brilliant, I wish Disney would make more of them.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are brilliant, I wish Disney would make more of them.

They actually planned a third one, and at least 3 segments were animated. The Little Matchstick Girl (available as a bonus feature on the Little Mermaid), One by One (Lion King), and the Salvador Dali one (not on any DVD, to my knowledge, but you can find it on youtube).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom