Wilderness Lodge Transportation

Laurie Casey

Original Poster
Hello. I have a question for anyone who has stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I've been to WDW for the last five years with my girls, and we've always had to stay at a moderate resort which has always been fine. I've always wanted to stay at the WL, however, and this year we were able to upgrade which I am excited about. I have read many, many reviews about the resort and almost all of them are positive, however, many people have mentioned that the transportation is awful (very long waits and bus rides). I cannot say I've ever had awful waits or terribly long rides from any of the moderate resorts. We always schedule several character breakfasts during our stay so "time is of the essence." Should I be concerned about staying at the WL due to transportation? Thanks so much! -- Laurie

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You can take a boat directly to MK or to CR where you can hop on the monorail to MK or EPCOT (change trains at TTC). It's a very scenic and relaxing boat ride. If you do Chef Mickeys or any of the other monorail resort or MK character breakfasts they start running the boats to CR early (I think even before 7am). AK and DHS you will need to take a bus. The bus service is sometimes shared with at least one other resort either CR, Poly or GF or maybe Ft Wilderness Campground. It depends on the time of year and how crowded the resorts are. It can get crowded on the shared buses, but not worse than a moderate and certainly better than the values. Keep in mind that WL including the DVC rooms is only 900 rooms. Caribbean Beach and Coronado have 2,000 rooms each and Port Orleans combined is 3,000 rooms. So even if it's WL and another monorail resort sharing a bus it's still less people sharing in total than a moderate. I am assuming the complaints were about bus waits which can be hit or miss wherever you stay.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't remember there being a lot of long waits, transport was pretty good. I loved being able to take the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. We only had to share buses a couple of times, but that was later in the day I think.

HouCuseChickie

We've only stayed at WL once, but I had a lot of complaints about the transportation.

The boat was definitely more reliable than the bus; however, the MK boat doesn't start running until about 8am, so it's useless for early character meals in MK. The boat to the Contemporary starts running around 6:45a, but we found out that they won't always run it that early in the winter. So we were stuck with bus service for our mornings. The boats also won't run if there's lightning/bad storms...makes sense, but something else to keep in mind.

The worst bus wait we had was about 47 minutes. We had a pre-park opening breakfast at Crystal Palace, there were no boats running at that time, so we had the option of bus or taking a cab. I hate paying for cabs since it kind of defeats the purpose of spending the extra $ to stay onsite, so we waited. We even called from the bus stop and they insisted a bus had been there at 7:15 and 7:30. We'd been waiting out there with a handful of others since just after 7am, so we made sure to inform them that the info they had was bad- very bad. Beyond that...our avg bus waits for all other days (regardless of park) was 25-35 min. It was beyond frustrating.

We did share buses with Ft. Wilderness, Poly and GF a number of times. It really only got crowded with Ft. Wilderness.

I've heard it's not always this bad, but we've never experienced waits like this at any other resort.

ninjaprincesst

We have stayed at Wl several times and have had no transportation issues at all. One morning we were waiting for an Epcot bus for breakfast we had min waiting about 10 minutes and every other bus came except for epcot, two HS buses came right together and the second driver asked where we were going, we told her Epcot she told us to get on and she would take us to Epcot.We had early ADR for CRT on our last trip in Nov (Thanksgiving week) we took a boat to the Contemporary that actually came before the posted start time, took monorail from Contemporary to MK and arrived way before they were even letting people with breakfast ADR in, it worked great!

DisneyPrincess5

Our experience was similar to @HouCuseChickie
Sometimes the boats were a hair later than we had hoped, the buses were late many times and then we had to drive to the campground which took more time. Something we constantly laughed about was how like 3 buses for another park would come before the one we needed.

Over all the experience wasn't awful, but it could've been smoother. You'll have a great time regardless! Transport is a fraction (hopefully) of your day in comparison to your overall experience. It's a beautiful resort.

s&k'smom

We've stayed at WL in the past and I don't ever remember having very long wait for the busses. Last year while staying at GF we shared a bus with WL from Typhoon Lagoon. The boat is a lovely way to get about especially at night with all the lights.

216bruce

Our DVC home resort is WL and we stayed there even before we bought. The only thing that is rough about transport there is the occasional "three busses for one park, before a bus for the park we are going to". Times are fine once you get on the bus- the stops at GF and FW are short as they are nearby. No stop after stop at the same resort like CB and PO. The boat ride to MK is one of the true unsung pleasures of staying at WL. Best resort on property- don't let the high maintenance whiners tell you otherwise.

stichrules

The buses are fine. This our home resort and last year we were leaving Epcot and we saw the bus leave just as we started to walk to the bus stop. So I took my Grandson in the stroller and took the monorail to MK and then the boat over. My wife and son wasited for the bus and they beat me back by about 10-20 minutes. Always better to wait on the bus, not as bad as it seems

DisneyJunkie

I wouldn't let transportation concerns deprive you of a great stay at WL.

While we detest the bus transportation there because of the consistently long waits and inconsistent arrival of needed buses (too many of the ones we didn't want came before the ones we did want), we still use them. The boat transportation is more reliable and you can always catch another bus from the MK (or the monorail there back to the TTC and a bus from the TTC to whereever).

coachwnh

We find it to be hit or miss from WL. As others have stated, at times you wait more than 20 minutes for a bus while several from other parks arrive. Then at other times, two from one park arrive at the same time.

coachwnh

Hello. I have a question for anyone who has stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I've been to WDW for the last five years with my girls, and we've always had to stay at a moderate resort which has always been fine. I've always wanted to stay at the WL, however, and this year we were able to upgrade which I am excited about. I have read many, many reviews about the resort and almost all of them are positive, however, many people have mentioned that the transportation is awful (very long waits and bus rides). I cannot say I've ever had awful waits or terribly long rides from any of the moderate resorts. We always schedule several character breakfasts during our stay so "time is of the essence." Should I be concerned about staying at the WL due to transportation? Thanks so much! -- Laurie
And I just noticed you just signed up, so welcome to WDWMagic!!!!!!!

Ariel484

Welcome to WDWMagic!! :)

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in February and yeah...transportation wasn't great. Loved having the boats though.

jlsHouston

I had pretty good luck with the buses when I stayed at WL last November and then this past March. I would say the boats were almost always the longer wait compared to the buses. And several times the line would be long and it would be the small boat that showed up and so depending where you were in the line, you would have to wait for the next boat. Overall I didn't find transportation a big hindrance at WL. Of course both times I have stayed at WL I also had a car so if we were running late for an ressie we just drove.

S. Paridon

The wait times for busses can be a bit of a pain, but its the same where ever you are. We usually resort hop just to check out the other places, and it seems like we are always waiting on a bus at some point. The boat to MK is awesome. Its very relaxing, usually very punctual and a good way to cool off with that nice boat breeze. As someone else said, you can always boat to the CR and catch the monorail if you feel like you need to.
Our DVC home resort is WL and we stayed there even before we bought. The only thing that is rough about transport there is the occasional "three busses for one park, before a bus for the park we are going to". Times are fine once you get on the bus- the stops at GF and FW are short as they are nearby. No stop after stop at the same resort like CB and PO. The boat ride to MK is one of the true unsung pleasures of staying at WL. Best resort on property- don't let the high maintenance whiners tell you otherwise.

mickeysshoes

We have stayed at the WL lots of times (its 2nd on our top 3 list) and just like any other resort buses can be hit or miss. I would not base your stay at any resort on what hear about the buses. It could happen at any of them. You just need to use the transportation your advantage. Like taking the boat to MK or CR and hit the monorail. Staying a WL is a great trip to plan on Hoop De Do as it has direct boat access to the back of FW.

DisneyFreak23

We loved our stay in the WL villas. The boat ride to MK or Contempory is great! You can also catch the monorail at either of those to hit TCC and EPCOTT. The bus to MK is quick since it is only a 2-3 miles away. I think the busses to the other parks may take longer.

epcot2004

We have stayed at WL twice and never had an issue with transportation. As others have stated the boats are great (and a welcome change from the busses). This resort is one of our favorites and, in my opinion is worth a try. We have stayed at at least six different Disney resorts and our experience with transportation is that issues can happen at any of the resorts. The biggest issue that you will have after staying at a Deluxe is that you will be hooked and will have a hard time going back to the Moderates!

Tinkerbell397

Stayed at the WL in September 2013 and June 2012....I thought transportation was OK but sometimes the busses were backed up and at times two busses showed up for the same park....so...a bus shows up for DHS and another one for DHS right after it. A bit aggravating when you are waiting for a bus to another park. One morning, we went to The Grand Floridian Cafe for Breakfast and there was a man at the bus stop at the GF with an i-Pad communicating with the busses or the main bus hub. If a bus was late, he told them and they sent a bus right out. I have never seen that at any other deluxe resort....I guess the GF is the most deluxe of the deluxe. The bus stop at the GF is also shaded and has lots and lots of benches. Anyway....enjoy the WL....you will love it and just be patient. In the scene of things, waiting for a bus a few extra minutes is not a big deal, just factor it into your plans especially ADR's so you won't be anxious. :cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom