Compulsive overplanner with lots of questions

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We are getting close enough (62 days!!) that I have a whole new round of questions!:D

1. I do not like entering a situation where I don't know what to expect, so I'm hoping you all can help me with this! I have arranged for us to be picked up by Black Car Orlando at 9am from AoA and delivered to port for our 10:30 port arrival time. Someone please walk me through the whole process once we are dropped off!

2. Then walk me through the whole process the morning we debark. I have arranged for Black Car Orlando to pick us up at 8am and take us back to Pop Century. Is it better to keep our luggage with us the night before and carry it off ourselves, or should we go ahead and put it out the night before? We will have to eat breakfast on the ship because we will have the 5 kids with us. Is it easier to head up to Cabanas, or should we do the dining room breakfast? I'm assuming either one will be quick, as they want everyone off the ship as quickly as possible.

ChuckElias

Someone please walk me through the whole process once we are dropped off!
Once you get dropped off at the curb outside the terminal, the first thing that will happen is that your bags will be picked up by the porters. The bags will magically appear at your stateroom sometime between 1:30 pm and 5:30 pm.

Then you will walk through the gates and present your photo ID to a security checkpoint. They'll match your name to a stateroom and verify that you're scheduled to sail.

Then you'll walk into the terminal and pass through the x-ray checkpoint. And then you walk into the main lobby of the terminal where you get in line to check in. They'll take your picture and get your credit card info for your on-board account. Then they'll give you your Key to the World cards (and lanyards) and your boarding group number. Then you wait for your number to be called!

Is it better to keep our luggage with us the night before and carry it off ourselves, or should we go ahead and put it out the night before? Is it easier to head up to Cabanas, or should we do the dining room breakfast? I'm assuming either one will be quick, as they want everyone off the ship as quickly as possible.
I can't help you with this b/c we always put our luggage out the night before and we always go to breakfast at our rotational restaurant. But I would agree with you that either option for breakfast will go quickly. The advantage of Cabana's is that if you have second seating for dinner, you don't have to wait for the second breakfast group; you can go to Cabana's at any time.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Once you get dropped off at the curb outside the terminal, the first thing that will happen is that your bags will be picked up by the porters. The bags will magically appear at your stateroom sometime between 1:30 pm and 5:30 pm.

Then you will walk through the gates and present your photo ID to a security checkpoint. They'll match your name to a stateroom and verify that you're scheduled to sail.

Then you'll walk into the terminal and pass through the x-ray checkpoint. And then you walk into the main lobby of the terminal where you get in line to check in. They'll take your picture and get your credit card info for your on-board account. Then they'll give you your Key to the World cards (and lanyards) and your boarding group number. Then you wait for your number to be called!

I can't help you with this b/c we always put our luggage out the night before and we always go to breakfast at our rotational restaurant. But I would agree with you that either option for breakfast will go quickly. The advantage of Cabana's is that if you have second seating for dinner, you don't have to wait for the second breakfast group; you can go to Cabana's at any time.
Thank you! That definitely makes me feel a little better knowing what to expect! We have the first dinner seating, so we would have the early breakfast also.

Disneyfalcon

We are getting close enough (62 days!!) that I have a whole new round of questions!:D

1. I do not like entering a situation where I don't know what to expect, so I'm hoping you all can help me with this! I have arranged for us to be picked up by Black Car Orlando at 9am from AoA and delivered to port for our 10:30 port arrival time. Someone please walk me through the whole process once we are dropped off!

2. Then walk me through the whole process the morning we debark. I have arranged for Black Car Orlando to pick us up at 8am and take us back to Pop Century. Is it better to keep our luggage with us the night before and carry it off ourselves, or should we go ahead and put it out the night before? We will have to eat breakfast on the ship because we will have the 5 kids with us. Is it easier to head up to Cabanas, or should we do the dining room breakfast? I'm assuming either one will be quick, as they want everyone off the ship as quickly as possible.

Chuck walked you through the first!

The morning is easy. I don't mind putting my luggage out the night before, even when I'm in a hurry. It's nice not to deal with it during breakfast.
You are correct, both breakfast options are pretty quick in the morning. Early breakfast is super early, so you really could pick either one.

If you are going to put your luggage out, the day before you will be given some tags for your luggage with a character on them like Donald, Ariel, etc. Fill them out and put them on your bags and put them outside the door by the designated time that night.

The next morning, wake up and go to breakfast with whatever luggage or carry-ons you have. You could leave them in your room during early breakfast but we like to take it. It lets the stateroom host get in there quicker and you don't have to go back. After breakfast you will just walk off the ship!

Here is the only difference between leaving your luggage out and taking it with you. If you have it, you go straight to the customs line. If you don't have it, you go to the designated area for your staterooms (i.e. Donald, Ariel, etc.) and find your luggage there. This can be crazy quick or it can add 5-10 minutes if you have family members who aren't good lookers (no names here but they know who they are :D) and pass a bag 6 times before seeing it. After locating all of it, go to the customs line.

After clearing customs, head out the door to the pick up location and there will be people directing you where to go. :)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Chuck walked you through the first!

The morning is easy. I don't mind putting my luggage out the night before, even when I'm in a hurry. It's nice not to deal with it during breakfast.
You are correct, both breakfast options are pretty quick in the morning. Early breakfast is super early, so you really could pick either one.

If you are going to put your luggage out, the day before you will be given some tags for your luggage with a character on them like Donald, Ariel, etc. Fill them out and put them on your bags and put them outside the door by the designated time that night.

The next morning, wake up and go to breakfast with whatever luggage or carry-ons you have. You could leave them in your room during early breakfast but we like to take it. It lets the stateroom host get in there quicker and you don't have to go back. After breakfast you will just walk off the ship!

Here is the only difference between leaving your luggage out and taking it with you. If you have it, you go straight to the customs line. If you don't have it, you go to the designated area for your staterooms (i.e. Donald, Ariel, etc.) and find your luggage there. This can be crazy quick or it can add 5-10 minutes if you have family members who aren't good lookers (no names here but they know who they are :D) and pass a bag 6 times before seeing it. After locating all of it, go to the customs line.

After clearing customs, head out the door to the pick up location and there will be people directing you where to go. :)
Thanks, Tammy! That makes me feel much better!

5thGenTexan

General ship questions:

Is there milk or juice available all the time for the kids like soft drinks are fot the adults? None of mine drink pop and would much rather drink milk than anything else.
I know the shops are not open while we are in foreign ports, so how late are they open in the evening? Are they open the first day when we are still in Port Canaveral? This is a major concern for me, I already have a list of must buys for this cruise!:D

I can only comment on the Magic. Milk was available 24 hours at the beverage station with the fountain drinks. Our last cruise I usually went up to get a couple of cups before bed and put them in the refrigerator just in case.

Phonedave

Just to add to what Tammy said, when you leave the ship there will be more porters around than you can shake a stick at. They all have luggage carts. They will help you locate your luggage, will load it on their cart, and push it along with you through customs and out to your black car (for a tip of course)

Thanks

Ralphlaw

I can sympathize overall because I also worry about uncertain details. But I learned to manage it long ago with one simple sentence:

People a lot dumber than me have gotten through it.

Truly, people a lot dumber than all of us have navigated their way through the system. Also, Disney being Disney and all, you'll easily find someone to help you every step of the way.

Relax, have fun, and try not to sweat the small stuff.

rick3236

I can only comment on the Magic. Milk was available 24 hours at the beverage station with the fountain drinks. Our last cruise I usually went up to get a couple of cups before bed and put them in the refrigerator just in case.

There is also milk available at the beverage stations on the new ships 24 hours a day.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
There is also milk available at the beverage stations on the new ships 24 hours a day.
Thanks guys! I'll definitely check it out!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Just to add to what Tammy said, when you leave the ship there will be more porters around than you can shake a stick at. They all have luggage carts. They will help you locate your luggage, will load it on their cart, and push it along with you through customs and out to your black car (for a tip of course)

Thanks
I figured it wouldn't be a problem getting help!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I can sympathize overall because I also worry about uncertain details. But I learned to manage it long ago with one simple sentence:

People a lot dumber than me have gotten through it.

Truly, people a lot dumber than all of us have navigated their way through the system. Also, Disney being Disney and all, you'll easily find someone to help you every step of the way.

Relax, have fun, and try not to sweat the small stuff.
Thanks, I'll try to remember that!! My "problem" right now is that there are 11 of us, and I have been appointed the leader/planner for this whole trip, and that just adds another layer of stress for me! I'm sure everything will be fine and we'll have a wonderful time! Only 57 more days!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Ok, next set of questions has to do with the dress code for the main dining rooms.
1. I know that at some point I read flip flops weren't allowed. The shoes I would like to wear are technically flip flops, but they are dressy enough I consider them sandals. Here they are, what do you guys think?
IMG_7698.JPG

I figured that I would just point out the hidden mickeys if they gave me too hard of a time!;)

2. The DCL website says no tank tops. The dresses I was planning on taking are sleeveless. I'm guessing that is not what they are talking about when they say tank top? It shouldn't be an issue anyhow, as I am always cold and will most likely be wearing a cardigan over my dress anyway!

3. I was planning on the two boys wearing khakis and polo shirts. Will they be ok to just wear their Keen sandals? Toes and heels are covered with those. I really don't want to pack their dress shoes if I don't need to!!

Disneyfalcon

Ok, next set of questions has to do with the dress code for the main dining rooms.
1. I know that at some point I read flip flops weren't allowed. The shoes I would like to wear are technically flip flops, but they are dressy enough I consider them sandals. Here they are, what do you guys think?
View attachment 51998
I figured that I would just point out the hidden mickeys if they gave me too hard of a time!;)

2. The DCL website says no tank tops. The dresses I was planning on taking are sleeveless. I'm guessing that is not what they are talking about when they say tank top? It shouldn't be an issue anyhow, as I am always cold and will most likely be wearing a cardigan over my dress anyway!

3. I was planning on the two boys wearing khakis and polo shirts. Will they be ok to just wear their Keen sandals? Toes and heels are covered with those. I really don't want to pack their dress shoes if I don't need to!!

1. Flip flops are okay in the main dining rooms! Not in Palo or Remy though.
2. No tank tops does not refer to sundresses/sleeveless dresses. You're fine there!
3. Absolutely!

ChuckElias

Tammy is exactly correct, as usual. I'll just add this: as I've said before, the dress code in the rotational restaurants is really just a suggestion. I've never seen anyone turned away for wearing shorts, tank top, or flip flops; even on Formal Night. You're going to be fine in blinged-out flip-flops and a sleeveless sundress. :)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Tammy is exactly correct, as usual. I'll just add this: as I've said before, the dress code in the rotational restaurants is really just a suggestion. I've never seen anyone turned away for wearing shorts, tank top, or flip flops; even on Formal Night. You're going to be fine in blinged-out flip-flops and a sleeveless sundress. :)
Thanks! I just have an issue with breaking rules, even when it is well known that the rules are not enforced (like the old FP return times!)! I'm trying to set a good example for my kids!!

Disneyfalcon

There was a man next to us in a muscle shirt and sweatpants one night at dinner in Lumieres. They didn't turn him away, but after a few minutes they did bring him a jacket to wear. I'd never seen that before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom