Any of you using multi-manufacturer systems?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A recent thread got me thinking about how in photography you tend to stick with one system, and due to the investment, generally have to remain with that manufacturer.

Have any of you made the break and gone with multiple systems, or decided to make a complete switch?

NowInc

As a Nikon user, I am often approached about switching to Canon (and more recently Sony) by my photo friends. I see myself switching to mirrorless (at this rate, Sony) in about a year or so...It won't be easy but I take good care of my equipment so I should be able to get a decent return on them if I sell them off.

sporadic

I couldn't bring myself to do it. Combination of investment and just comfort with the system. Being a Canon SLR user for years, a Nikon just doesn't feel right when I pick one up. If were going with a dissimilar system however, say mirrorless, I'd definitely be looking at other manufacturers. I've seen numerous threads on POTN where people make a complete SLR system jump and it usually seems to be for the latest wizbang body. No way I'd do that. I do however find myself really jonesing for some Fuji gear, but maybe that's because I read Strobist too much :)

thomas998

A recent thread got me thinking about how in photography you tend to stick with one system, and due to the investment, generally have to remain with that manufacturer.

Have any of you made the break and gone with multiple systems, or decided to make a complete switch?

started on Minolta, then Nikon, then Leica, then Sony... not sure if there was ever a true break from any though as I tend to be a pack rat with camera stuff and have kept all the old stuff which if I ever decide to get a mirrorless Sony will be useful again... except the various flashes which will probably just continue to collect dust in a closet.

PhotoDave219

I own Nikon but I've shot with Canon as well as Phase One & Hassy's digital formats.

Its a matter of getting comfortable with that equipment and knowing how to get it to give you the image you want. The manufacturer doesnt change the light or the composition of the situation.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I've shot Canon DSLR for over a decade but recently decided to experiment with mixing things up a little. I had seriously considered switching to Nikon specifically for the D800e (DR and resolution) that Canon does not have a competitor for at this time.

In the end I chose a bridge approach with a Sony a7R and now I use that with both Sony and Canon lenses. Metabones makes an adapter that allows most of my Canon lenses (except 50mm f/1.4) to work fully on the Sony body. In general I prefer Canon but on landscape stuff when I want the dynamic range and resolution, I can just drop the Sony on the back instead.

Last edited:

NowInc

I've shot Canon DSLR for over a decade but recently decided to experiment with mixing things up a little. I had seriously considered switching to Nikon specifically for the D800e (DR and resolution) that Canon does not have a competitor for at this time.

In the end I chose a bridge approach with a Sony a7R and now I use that with both Sony and Canon lenses. Metabones makes an adapter that allows most of my Canon lenses (except 50mm f/1.4) to work fully on the Sony body. In general I prefer Canon but on landscape stuff when I want the dynamic range and resolution, I can just drop the Sony on the back instead.

Wait a lil bit on that D800e...rumor of a D800s (rumored title) later this year. :)

whoiscliffwang

Im pretty comfortable with the Nikon system. Also with the amount of lens I have invested in, doesn't make sense to switch manufacture. Recently I had a chance to play with a friends 5D Mark III and it just doesn't feel right. Im sure he thought the same when he played with my D800.

I wonder what the D800s will be like.. Add it to the list of things I would want, along with the Df, 14-24mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, and the 24mm PC-E.

NowInc

Im pretty comfortable with the Nikon system. Also with the amount of lens I have invested in, doesn't make sense to switch manufacture. Recently I had a chance to play with a friends 5D Mark III and it just doesn't feel right. Im sure he thought the same when he played with my D800.

I wonder what the D800s will be like.. Add it to the list of things I would want, along with the Df, 14-24mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, and the 24mm PC-E.

Its for that very thing you said above that whenever someone asks me what DSLR to get, I tell them they need to actually pick it up and feel it. Some people (myself included) like the way the Nikon is laid out, others prefer canon, some sony. Its weird, but its sort of like a camera just FITS.

As for the D800s...take this with a grain of salt. This site is 50/50 on accuracy...especially this far away from an announcement

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/25/rumors-nikon-d800s-camera-preliminary-specifications.aspx/

whoiscliffwang

Its for that very thing you said above that whenever someone asks me what DSLR to get, I tell them they need to actually pick it up and feel it. Some people (myself included) like the way the Nikon is laid out, others prefer canon, some sony. Its weird, but its sort of like a camera just FITS.

As for the D800s...take this with a grain of salt. This site is 50/50 on accuracy...especially this far away from an announcement

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/25/rumors-nikon-d800s-camera-preliminary-specifications.aspx/

I think the D800 should suffice my needs for now and the near future. Nikon's new releases just makes me itch to buy the latest model. Photography is more of a hobby than a full time job, so I really can't justify dropping that kind of cash for a slightly updated model. Its just a shame that Nikon releases so many "updated" products quickly, making the consumer feel that they own an "old" product.

Regarding brands: I totally agree on the Nikon layout. I think the main reason I switched from a D7000 to a D800, rather than a D7000 to a D610, is size. I know its heavier, and I complain about it sometimes, but the D800 just feels "right". Don't get me wrong, I will eventually pick up a smaller Df, or D610 as a backup body. Getting used to Canon lens will take some time too, zoom ring is opposite of Nikon.

Im actually curious to try that A7 from Sony. I've heard good reviews about it.

BoarderPhreak

I use whatever tool does what I need (at the time).

My SLR/DSLR is a Canon, with Canon lenses and flashes. As an integrated system, it works pretty well. So in this case, it definitely makes sense to "keep it in the family." There are lots of other lens manufacturers out there, which are certainly tempting. But I just went with L lenses - and done.

My rangefinders are another story. Leica film and digital bodies, but the lenses are from Leica, Voigtländer and Zeiss - and the accessories even more varied, from all over the place. When you span 60 years on the same lens mount, there are a lot of very nice vintage lenses all the way up to the latest and greatest, technically "perfect" lenses. It comes down to the look you want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom