Time Out's "100 best animated movies"

mcurtiss

Original Poster

216bruce

Any "best of" list is by nature subjective. I am glad to see so much diversity in this list though. Miyazaki films are amazing. I wish I had discovered tham sooner and they certainly deserve the high rankings on this list. Overall, I'd jostle a few around rankings-wise but it's solid.
I think Pixar is in a period of slight decline, like Disney was a while back and aprt from "UP", and the Brad Bird made Pixar efforts that they are a little overrrated. Still enjoyable, just nothing new and revolutionary anymore like they were when CG films were "new". Now they have to rely on story and character. It'd be great to see excellence from them again.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting article. I can't really argue with anything int the top 10 except The Incredibles, I wouldn't have put that so high on the list. I also think Lion King and Beauty and the Beast should have ranged higher. Glad to see Spirited Away ranked so high, really was a fabulous movie.

Animaniac93-98

I have to question the list in general when they have The Lion King 23 spots behind The Lego Movie.

The list is made by people in the industry, so it's possible they feel biased towards their more recent work (see Frozen & Wreck-It-Ralph's ranking). Or they're really big Lego fans.

Or maybe they finally agree with the critics from 1994 who thought Lion King was "good, but not great" (Ebert's own words on TV, and he wasn't alone in thinking that).

I'm sure if Buzzfeed's staff made the list it would have been #1.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I also think Lion King and Beauty and the Beast should have ranged higher.

I would have put Dumbo much lower, but this isn't my list. Talk with those in the industry, and they'll gush about Dumbo, and Miyazaki, and Pinocchio. I also think Robin Hood holds high nostalgia for them because it was an early project for many of Disney's current famed animators, and one where they worked with some of the 9 Old Men in creating it.

stevehousse

Way too much anime for my own good! The only 2 anime films I actually like, Howls Moving Castle and Ponyo, aren't even on the list!

I do not agree with most of these rankings! :( I wonder if there is a better one our there somewhere???

216bruce

Folks- It's not "favorite" or "most popular" animated films. If you ask people what their favorite non-animated film of all time is, few will say Citizen Kane or City Lights but a lot of experts and critics will tell you they are among the best. Most popular animated film ever is "Frozen" and no one in their right mind will say it's the best ever. Among my favorite animated films of all time are "Hunchback" and "Fantasia 2000". They are most likely on no expert/critic/scholar "best ever" list but I love them anyway. But these kind of lists are great to get you to experience movies you may not have seen or even heard of, just to see what all the fuss is about. There's always a reason why so many folks rank some movies so highly. I checked out Miyazaki because of all the critical praise and I'm glad I did. Just think of these as a way to broaden your horizons away from Disney and Pixar.

Bairstow

Good list, and I can't argue with their number one, but some of the other rankings are just bizarre. Why is The Fantastic Mr. Fox ranked so highly? Why is Akira not in the top 10? Why are Coonskin, The Lord of the Rings, Paranorman, and Robin Hood even on the list? Do Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Jason and the Argonauts even count as animated movies?

Here's a question: Shouldn't Toy Story 3 be ranked above Toy Story 2? I might even rank it above the original.

Thrill

Here's a question: Shouldn't Toy Story 3 be ranked above Toy Story 2? I might even rank it above the original.

Toy Story 2 is a marvel in that much of it was made in 9 months thanks to a complete tear-down of the movie. Not sure if that was factored in, but in that context, Toy Story 2 is an even more incredible movie.

I only read the top ten because the format of this website is bleh, but I'm not sure I agree with their Pixar selections. I feel like Ratatouille and Up are better movies than Toy Story and The Incredibles. (Although, if they curved based on technology, Toy Story wins that battle.) They're great movies regardless, I just think that were better options for those slots.

mcurtiss

Original Poster
yeah, i wouldn't have put Robin Hood on the list at all. it's just not close to even the top 10 (IMO) of Disney's best animated features let alone a top100 film. same with Jungle Book. love it, but its not a groundbreaker.

as more time goes by, I think Sleeping Beauty has got to be up there in terms of quality animation.

In terms of the Pixar films, i probably would have gone TS1, Nemo, TS3 as my top 3.

216bruce

I get the feeling more than 3 anime movies would be "too many" for most on this forum.
Agreed. Is Miyazaki even what most people think of as anime? Seems his work is beyond what a lot of folks have seen as typical of it. His films are just great storytelling and beautiful animation and backgrounds. I'm curious as to what the objection is to good/great anime or Asian movies being on the list?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom