Help choosing new point&shoot

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Can any of you guys recommend a small pocket sized camera that has a really quick shutter speed and will work without a flash in dark rides? Before you jump on me for wanting to use a camera in a dark ride yada yada, I like taking pictures of my kids faces while they are on the rides and watching fireworks. For me Disney is not about me riding rides etc, but candidly capturing the kids enjoying the moment. I have a Samsung at the moment but the shutter speed is so slow everything looks like a blur without a flash and even then it takes forever to focus. Thanks!

Clamman73

The shutter speed on lower end point and shoot is slow b/c the camera wants to bring in more light, but the sensor size and aperture aren't enough to give you a decent pic in low light w/out a flash.

This might be a choice for you: Sony RX 100 original version or the newer version.

Others here are more pros than me, so they can also give you some choices.

NowInc

The sony RX100 in my opinion is your best bet. However, don't expect miracles from any point and shoot (heck..with most DSLRs as well). Dark light (and focusing in it) is something that theres no magic that can make it easy. And even then, the shutter will be slow in order to compensate for the exposure. Now, this can be overcome by shooting in a manual mode, but even then you'll have to deal with very dark pictures (but they wont be (as) blurry).

sporadic

You'll be hard pressed to find any p&s that will do what you want for dark rides. As others have said, a RX100 would be your best bet but you'll probably still be disappointed. You have a budget in mind?

fractal

I've seen some fairly good dark ride results from the RX100. You'll likely have to go up to ISO 6400 so you'll lose detail and gain noise.

CP_alum08

You didn't say what type of samsung you have, but I assume it has modes. Have you tried some of the different modes to get a faster shutter?

Like others have said you're kind of SOL with p&s and dark rides. Maybe on something like pirates because sections are pretty well lit, but mansion and Peter Pan forget it.

PhotoDave219

Can any of you guys recommend a small pocket sized camera that has a really quick shutter speed and will work without a flash in dark rides? Before you jump on me for wanting to use a camera in a dark ride yada yada, I like taking pictures of my kids faces while they are on the rides and watching fireworks. For me Disney is not about me riding rides etc, but candidly capturing the kids enjoying the moment. I have a Samsung at the moment but the shutter speed is so slow everything looks like a blur without a flash and even then it takes forever to focus. Thanks!

If i was buying? Anything in the Canon Powershot series.

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Budget isn't an issue. I had the Sony before, about 6 years ago and yes it was a great camera. My daughter accidentally trod on the lens and come to think of it, it was the best camera I had but technology has moved on since then. I'll have a look at the Powershots, I have time, we are not going until October though I would like to get practice in at Chessington and Lego land before then.
Thanks!

sporadic

Thanks everyone. Budget isn't an issue. I had the Sony before, about 6 years ago and yes it was a great camera. My daughter accidentally trod on the lens and come to think of it, it was the best camera I had but technology has moved on since then. I'll have a look at the Powershots, I have time, we are not going until October though I would like to get practice in at Chessington and Lego land before then.
Thanks!
Tech has progressed, but there really hasn't been any groundbreaking movement in the P&S market. Most of the exciting stuff has been larger sensors in the bridge style and mirrorless cameras. They do have an upgraded model, the RX100 II but I wouldn't expect much more than what you were getting from your previous model.

If budget isn't of concern, I'd seriously look at non P&S cameras. Possibly bridge style or the smaller mirrorless kits. These could be a great compromise between a P&S and a SLR. No amount of money will get you a P&S in auto mode that will nail the pictures you're wanting. If you're willing to move up to a larger camera, there are many better options. Are you shooting in manual modes and familiar with the triangle of exposure? If not, I'd start there first and see what you can squeeze out of your current gear. Canon has an excellent tutorial and simulator on the exposure triangle here - http://canonoutsideofauto.ca

CP_alum08

Thanks!
If you had a sony 6 years ago it wasn't the rx100 like everyone has mentioned, that camera hasn't been out that long. And if price REALLY isn't an issue, why are you looking at p&s? Go buy the sony a7 and call it a day.

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
I have 3 fast moving kids and with all the bumpf that I have to take for them the last thing I need is to add to the bumpf. Smaller the better for me as I need to just loop it to my wrist and go. Thanks again for the suggestions, I can now go and research properly. Whatever Sony I had (and it looked pretty similar to the RX) it was the best one I had :)

ddbowdoin

I like that idea. Maybe reviewing the gear we use and the pro's and con's of said gear.
I was thinking more of a guideline to the levels of gear. Seems a lot of people post looking for a small camera that can shoot dark rides, etc etc for 300 bucks. If you have a brief guide to p&s, dslrs, all the way MF and LF cameras people can gain some clarity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom