Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Captain Neo

X-Men is still a Marvel property. The Marvel Studios logo will still be shown before the film. It doe snot matter if they do not have much decision making power, the situation still involves one of their properties.

Well if that's the case it involes Universal too since they have a heavy marvel presence in their park and are the current holders of the Marvel theme park rights.

Your logic is not sound and even the media have went after a statement from Fox not Disney or Marvel Entertainment. I'm not going to keep arguing because not a single person out there has even thought to connect this to Disney and it would be absurd if someone attempted it.

Captain Neo

Actually, Men in Black predated Blade.

Howard the Duck was also a Marvel property, and whilst not a great movie, had it's run in popular culture.

Also, the TV runs of Incredible Hulk and Spider Man were both extremely popular in the 70s.

We were talking about what started the Marvel wave of the early 00's and it was clearly the success of Blade followed shortly by X-Men, Blade 2, and Spider-Man.

BTW, I think Howard the Duck is a great 80s flick and pretty funny.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We were talking about what started the Marvel wave of the early 00's and it was clearly the success of Blade followed shortly by X-Men, Blade 2, and Spider-Man.

BTW, I think Howard the Duck is a great 80s flick and pretty funny.
I don't think Blade started it. Rather the commercial run of DC comics (namely Batman in the 90s) did.

Blade didn't even beat any of the box office numbers of the Batman series outside of Batman and Robin (which was a terrible movie).

And even then, Blade didn't break the top 20 of releases for the year it was released (98) in terms of income, whereas Batman and Robin was close to single digits (released 97), even though being a terrible movie.

I don't buy, for a minute, that Blade led to any massive investment in Marvel comic properties for movies.

That being said, Men in Black (a Marvel comic property) predated Blade, and did MUCH better in the box office.

LithiumBill

X-Men is still a Marvel property. The Marvel Studios logo will still be shown before the film. It doe snot matter if they do not have much decision making power, the situation still involves one of their properties.
Actually if you look it's not the MARVEL STUDIOS logo, that is just on the licenses they hold. It's just the Marvel logo.

culturenthrills

Spirited Monday Musings:

Not many. I guess it's just another manic Monday ...

I did not yet get to mention that I think all the talk about how bad Casey's redo was was ... well, misplaced. They added seating. They kept the area themed. I don't think they destroyed the place by removing the bleachers and toon screen.

I don't think I've bitched yet (on this thread anyway) about how bad MK shops look with huge swaths cleared out for 500-pounders to be able to drive thru on their ECVs. It totally has destroyed any sense of theming and place in those shops.

Not sure if I have mentioned it yet, but sometime in the not too distant future Little Mermaid and BTMRR will have the DL upgrades added. I believe BTMRR will come first as much of that can be done at night. Mermaid is likely going down at some slow period next year to get the new ending.

Had a great dinner tonight with a MAGICal member who is charming, witty and just plain fun. The food was good, but the conversation that ranged from Disney's parking fees to the new parade's dragon to white supremacy in the Disney fan community was out of this world. Yeah, it was that kind of conversation!

Prior to dinner, I did the next best thing to visiting the MK: yep, I hit the local Disney outlet store. I didn't spend a penny as they just don't have anything that I have to have or even want to have. What a familiar story.

Checked out a few of the other discussion boards here of late and ... and ... well, it's just best that I basically only post on this one.

Iger's Maker Studios acquisition, which had hit a few snags, apparently is now a go:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/maker-studios-disney-deal-approved-696056

Don't know why, but I think something newsy will come out this week ... will it be released by me? Not sure yet.

You know I used to always walk out with something from the one of the WDW outlets in Orlando when I went but lately there selection is awful. They don't seem to carry as much merchandise as they used to. Don't know where it is going or if Disney has slashed the amount of merchandise they order on different things. Used to be you could always find something unique at them. Now it's really just crap. Which I guess describes a lot of WDW merch in general.

Stevek

You know I used to always walk out with something from the one of the WDW outlets in Orlando when I went but lately there selection is awful. They don't seem to carry as much merchandise as they used to. Don't know where it is going or if Disney has slashed the amount of merchandise they order on different things. Used to be you could always find something unique at them. Now it's really just crap. Which I guess describes a lot of WDW merch in general.

Same thing here with the one that used to be by Disneyland. For years, they had some fantastic stuff. Bought tons of stuff on pretty deep discount. Would even get the occasional WDW park merch. For the last few years of their existence, the selection was far less Disney focused. Apparently Disney decided to no longer offer them as much merch as they had previously, according to the store manager. That ultimately led to the store's demise.

Reddog

I don't think Blade started it. Rather the commercial run of DC comics (namely Batman in the 90s) did.

Blade didn't even beat any of the box office numbers of the Batman series outside of Batman and Robin (which was a terrible movie).

And even then, Blade didn't break the top 20 of releases for the year it was released (98) in terms of income, whereas Batman and Robin was close to single digits (released 97), even though being a terrible movie.

I don't buy, for a minute, that Blade led to any massive investment in Marvel comic properties for movies.

That being said, Men in Black (a Marvel comic property) predated Blade, and did MUCH better in the box office.

What actually started the boom in Marvel films was the creation of Marvel Studios (formerly Marvel Films). The first film licensed by Marvel Studios was Blade.

Redhawk

I don't mean to be rude and derail the discussion, but I am wondering, since it's Good Friday, what are the parks like now that spring break and Easter vacation are in full swing?

There were a lot of forecasts of gloom and doom due to FP+ (kiosks, lines, no availability, etc.) when the parks reached peak Spring break capacity and I'm just wondering how it's all playing been out.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

NowInc

Stupid Idea...but thats besides the point...

We all know what happened to Adam the Woo. The film maker of this isn't faceless..he has done previous projects and is using his real name. IF this actually gets funded (which would be surprising), I see the forces that be issuing a few banned for lifes to anyone involved (including his dear old mother who he even has on a video in his kickstarter). They didn't care/know about escape from tomorrow because it wasn't announced until after it was done. This, they have notice.

spacemt354

Chili's
Marvel Entertainment, one of the studios producing X-Men: Days of Future Past, is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company. However, TWDC is not producing X-Men. 20th Century Fox is.

Marvel Entertainment has a subsidiary of Marvel Studios, famous for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and whose president is Kevin Feige and whose films are produced by TWDC.

That's a stretch to link TWDC to the director of a film that is not produced by TWDC and a film franchise that is licensed to 20th Century Fox. And that licensing agreement must be pretty strict. The MCU could not even use the word "mutant" when describing Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as the word is licensed to 20th Century Fox and the X-Men. The word "miracle" had to be used instead. Due to the licensing issues, they would ask 20th Century Fox for a comment. Just like, if there was an issue with the Amazing Spider Man films, they would ask Sony for a comment.

Last edited:

Stryker927

On the topic of hotel costs...we have gone to Disney the past 5 years and only stayed on site once. We normally stay off-site in a spacious 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo. 1800 sq ft, private community, great pool, tiki bar, etc just 5 miles off property at the amazing cost of $600-800 a WEEK! We have saved thousands over the years. Matter of fact, that's the only reason we have been able to go time and time again. Why pay $350/night for 400 sq feet with no privacy for our family of five or me and my wife while having to fight over one bathroom when we can relax in our own spaces and have plenty of room to spread out? There is just no value in staying on-site for our family.

I have talked to several vacation rental owners out there and they love that Disney keeps hiking the price of the hotels because it just drives people to their rentals and it's lining their pockets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom