Magic Band + Disney Chase VISA + Disney Reward Dollars = Me confused

rnese

Original Poster
In the past upon check-in at the resort, the CM at the desk would put a credit card balance on my "Key to the World" card. I'm assuming they'll do the same with the magic band.
I have accumulated a good bit of Disney Reward Dollars and plan on using them to purchase merchandise, snacks, etc. while in the parks.

Questions:
1. There are many places within the parks and DTD that give a discount if you use the Chase VISA. Can I just tell the CM at the register that the credit card associated with my band is a Chase Card? Do I physically have to bring the card? (I don't want to have to do this since it defeats the purpose of having credit on the band.)

2. How do I go about using my Rewards dollars with the magic band? Would I just rack up the hundreds of dollars on my band with the credit card and then at the end of the stay check-out have the CM at the desk apply the rewards dollars to the credit card bill?

I'm sure Disney has thought this through. I'm hoping someone out there has already done this and can provide me with some advice. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Tom

Beta Return
I did not have to actually use my Disney Visa when I made purchases at gift shops when we were there last month.....but I did have to show it. So, to get a discount, I think you still need to carry that specific media (AP, Visa, DVC, etc).

As for charging to the room and paying it off with points, that's easy. You can just put your credit card on the room, and start making charges. When you think you've just passed the amount you want to pay with points, go to the front desk and tell them you want to pay down your room bill with points. They'll run it and the tab will reduce.

It's important to do this before your tab hits too high of an amount, since I believe they have pre-determined auto-charge thresholds. They may run the current balance mid-trip. Also, you'll want to do it before the last night of the trip, since they may run your tab that night. It's not supposed to happen until check-out day, but it could always happen earlier.

BigTxEars

Great questions. I would think you will have to have the card to get the discount, but I hope I am wrong.

I would think you could just charge up the $ on the MB and then use the reward dollars to put on a card and then use that card to pay off the charges on the MB at the resort desk. That should work.

We have a bout $125 or so in reward dollars, I am using mine to buy a TS meal outside of the DDP we have :)

rnese

Original Poster
Tom,
Thank you very much! I guess it won't kill me to bring the card with me when I go to DTD.

rnese

Original Poster
Thanks to you too BigTxEars. When do you go? You'll have to let me know what you experience.

rnese

Original Poster
As far as using the rewards dollars to pay off my credit card bill, say I charge $600 to my card on my magic band throughout my stay. I got to check-out and the CM at the desk says "You have $600 on your card. Would you like me to apply that to your VISA I have on file?" Then I give him my Reward Dollars redemption card with $400 and ask him to apply it. I should then only have the balance of $200 remaining on my card. Correct?

BigTxEars

Thanks to you too BigTxEars. When do you go? You'll have to let me know what you experience.

We arrive May 31st and leave Jun 7th. My wife just got back from DL on a school trip and used our Disney Visa a lot for discounts. We also have our first DVC cards this year so we will carry them as well, can't double dip the discount but we have 2 chances to get discounts with both of them handy. Not sure if you know or not but the Disney Visa will give you 10% off purchases at a Disney store if your total is over $50. Also there is a meet and greet at WDW with characters just for Disney Visa holders :)

I will let you know what we find out :)

BigTxEars

As far as using the rewards dollars to pay off my credit card bill, say I charge $600 to my card on my magic band throughout my stay. I got to check-out and the CM at the desk says "You have $600 on your card. Would you like me to apply that to your VISA I have on file?" Then I give him my Reward Dollars redemption card with $400 and ask him to apply it. I should then only have the balance of $200 remaining on my card. Correct?

That is how I understand it exactly.

rnese

Original Poster
We arrive May 31st and leave Jun 7th. My wife just got back from DL on a school trip and used our Disney Visa a lot for discounts. We also have our first DVC cards this year so we will carry them as well, can't double dip the discount but we have 2 chances to get discounts with both of them handy. Not sure if you know or not but the Disney Visa will give you 10% off purchases at a Disney store if your total is over $50. Also there is a meet and greet at WDW with characters just for Disney Visa holders :)

I will let you know what we find out :)
Thanks for the heads-up. I am aware of the M&G at EPCOT and the 10% off of $50 or more. I plan on taking the kids to DTD shopping and want to get the discounts.
Have fun on your trip. I don't arrive until June 22. Ready to leave NOW though.

BigTxEars

Thanks for the heads-up. I am aware of the M&G at EPCOT and the 10% off of $50 or more. I plan on taking the kids to DTD shopping and want to get the discounts.
Have fun on your trip. I don't arrive until June 22. Ready to leave NOW though.

Thanks, I was ready to leave yesterday :)

Oh man the damage I could do to the Visa at DTD :eek:...

But hey I get the reward dollars :) I bought lunch on mine today, earned almost a whole quarter worth of a reward dollar :cool:

Tom

Beta Return

Except you don't actually "check out" at Disney. You just leave your room by 11:00am and that's that.

They'll slip your total room charge bill under your door overnight, and will charge the entire amount to your credit card the day of check-out. If you charge things that last day (after you leave the hotel), they will hit your card again - usually that night or the next morning - for the rest of the charges.

So, if you have $600 in Points to use, keep track of your charging and as soon as you hit $600, go to the front desk of your hotel and use the points card to pay down your room charges. If you wait to do it the day you check out, it will likely be too late. And I'd advice doing it before your last night too, in case they reconcile early.

dreamfinder

OP - The MagicBand is associated with your room charge account, not the actual card. So all that a CM in a store can tell is that yes, your band does have a line of credit associated to it. Any charges would go against the room, which would then be run to the card on file when you hit the $500/1000/1500 limits. If you are at about 75-80% of that limit, they will most likely run the card overnight, so definitely stop by before hand and have them apply and gift cards/rewards to your balance.

Except you don't actually "check out" at Disney. You just leave your room by 11:00am and that's that.

They'll slip your total room charge bill under your door overnight, and will charge the entire amount to your credit card the day of check-out. If you charge things that last day (after you leave the hotel), they will hit your card again - usually that night or the next morning - for the rest of the charges.

And one beyond this, you may not even get a copy under your door. Trip in January, we didn't get one and were told it was emailed to the email provided during check in. Except they never asked for one, so I had them print out a hard copy.

Poly1974

I always have had them apply my Disney Visa Reward dollars to my account at check in. At that point, I have a "credit balance". As I charge to the room, it goes against those dollars. Once they are depleted, the remaining balance goes against the credit card on file. It's easier than guessing when I am approaching the limit where they will charge my credit card. I have done this at both WDW and DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom