Question about MagicBand and Resort Security Gate

Karenb64

Original Poster
So there is no more resort i.d. of any kind if you have a MagicBand, right? So when you are coming back to your resort, what's the process at the security gate? Do they scan your MagicBand or do you maybe show your drivers license?

horizons82

Good question...I've been wondering this too as far as how the automated gate works for returning guests who are staying on-site.

Tom

Beta Return
I would never recommend going anywhere without a photo ID on your person. Photo ID, Insurance and one credit card are with me at all times - at WDW and in the real world. The Magic Band won't help you if you have a medical emergency.

bethram

You can scan your band, but you have to had used your band to open up your resort room door first.

We found out the hard way our first night in December when I had opened up the room using my band in the morning to drop our luggage off then dh was driving "home" that evening and tried to use his band to open the gate. The security guy in the booth said he had only figured it out a week or two earlier.

cw1982

You can scan your band, but you have to had used your band to open up your resort room door first.

We found out the hard way our first night in December when I had opened up the room using my band in the morning to drop our luggage off then dh was driving "home" that evening and tried to use his band to open the gate. The security guy in the booth said he had only figured it out a week or two earlier.

Hmm... this may be an issue for us, if we drop our luggage off at the hotel and leave for the MK before our room is ready. Someone in a post above this one mentioned parking passes... do they still do those? I'd hate to not be able to park the car when we get back to the hotel that night.

For that matter, will we be able to get into the MK if we haven't been to our room yet? In other words, will the system still show us as being on property because it'll know we've checked in?

JohnD

You still get a parking ID for the dashboard. However, give your driver's license anyway and state why you're visiting. They'll let you in.

JohnD

Hmm... this may be an issue for us, if we drop our luggage off at the hotel and leave for the MK before our room is ready. Someone in a post above this one mentioned parking passes... do they still do those? I'd hate to not be able to park the car when we get back to the hotel that night.

For that matter, will we be able to get into the MK if we haven't been to our room yet? In other words, will the system still show us as being on property because it'll know we've checked in?

Yes. You'll get a parking pass immediately, even if your room isn't ready. If they don't offer, ask for it. You'll get one.

Karenb64

Original Poster

Thanks for this info. This wouldn't have occurred to me. Do you know if you have to check in and use band for room before you can go into any of the parks?

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks for this info. This wouldn't have occurred to me. Do you know if you have to check in and use band for room before you can go into any of the parks?

If you have a package with tickets, yes. You have to check in to activate everything.

Karenb64

Original Poster
If you have a package with tickets, yes. You have to check in to activate everything.
So that's kind of a bummer, though no different I guess then when you would book a package and have to check in for get your KTTW card before you could head to the parks. For us though, there have been trips where we had a "room only" reservation and bought our tickets separately from undercovertourist.com to save some money. In these situations, we could head straight to the parks if we arrived early and couldn't check in yet. I guess that won't happen anymore with MagicBands.

kelknight84

So that's kind of a bummer, though no different I guess then when you would book a package and have to check in for get your KTTW card before you could head to the parks. For us though, there have been trips where we had a "room only" reservation and bought our tickets separately from undercovertourist.com to save some money. In these situations, we could head straight to the parks if we arrived early and couldn't check in yet. I guess that won't happen anymore with MagicBands.

You can always check in and get everything activated and not have your room ready. That is what we usually do. Luckily about 75% of the time even at 7-8am our room is ready to go!

Rob562

If you've bought tickets separately and linked them to your MDE profile, then yes, you can head to the parks without checking in and use your Bands for park entry and FP+.

It's only if your tickets are part of a package that you cannot go to the parks until you check in, since the tickets in a package aren't activated until checkin.

And in either case, you won't be able to use your room charge until you check in at the hotel.

-Rob

KLinder7

I would never recommend going anywhere without a photo ID on your person. Photo ID, Insurance and one credit card are with me at all times - at WDW and in the real world. The Magic Band won't help you if you have a medical emergency.

I'm known for having a wallet that has way too much in it! So for Disney knowing I'd have a magic band just got a cheap money clip that would hold my ID and a back up credit card. Honestly didn't have to take out the money clip once all trip. But it is good to have something to carry an ID and some back up money.

docdebbi

if you choose not to use the right lane which is the do it yourself scanner, the guard has one of those hand scanners and uses it for your band. i am sure if you lose it or some silly thing, alternates will suffice, but first choice is magic band

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Somewhat related... If you are staying at one resort, can you use the scanners at other resorts instead of going through the visitor lane?

Space Mountain

MagicBands (or any media) must be touched to your room door before it will give you access to the security gates, for the first time. You cannot access other resorts. Security does have a device to verify your reservation to grant/deny access.

If you purchased tickets on your reservation as a package, you must check in before the tickets will work for admission. (Online Check-in will bypass this problem if you want to go straight to the parks.)

If you purchased Dining Plan on your reservation as a package, you must check in before the plan will work for meals. (Online Check-in will bypass this problem if you want to go straight to the parks.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom