BC + Water Parks

rt06

Original Poster
The kids (not mine) would have no problem spending an entire Disney vacation frolicking in the pool. Every Disney character could be doing a conga line through the resort, and they wouldn't even get out of the water. For this reason, I've chosen BC to stay in.

Is the BC pool enough to make the water parks an unnecessary buy? I'm all for water slides and wave pools, but I'm worried lines and crowds might have me wondering why we didn't just stick to the convenience of arguably the best pool on property. I will be there in July.

belledream

Your thinking is very reasonable. Kids and adults alike could have an entire staycation at Yacht and Beach Club's pools. Water parks aren't an inexpensive add on, and if you're paying to stay at BC, I would definitely make good use of it's amenities. No doubt the lines will be long in July too.

NeedMoreMickey

The only thing that scares me about spending the extra money for the water parks is what happens if you have your day planned and one of those lovely heavy thunder storms that pop up in the summer ruins your day at the water park? If you kids are young and they haven't been to one of the water parks they won't know what they are missing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The kids (not mine) would have no problem spending an entire Disney vacation frolicking in the pool. Every Disney character could be doing a conga line through the resort, and they wouldn't even get out of the water. For this reason, I've chosen BC to stay in.

Is the BC pool enough to make the water parks an unnecessary buy? I'm all for water slides and wave pools, but I'm worried lines and crowds might have me wondering why we didn't just stick to the convenience of arguably the best pool on property. I will be there in July.

The pool is great relaxing.. while the water park is great action. A small child will be thrilled with either of them. Is the pool a replacement for the WP? That's really up to you to balance your time and costs. As cool as the pool is.. it's not Typhoon Lagoon :)

slappy magoo

How old are the kids? If they're really teeny (and not particularly good swimmers), the relative calmness of Stormalong Bay is probably a better fit. But if they're older, good swimmers and looking to get wet and get scared, the slides and water coaster and wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon might fit the bill.

rt06

Original Poster
How old are the kids? If they're really teeny (and not particularly good swimmers), the relative calmness of Stormalong Bay is probably a better fit. But if they're older, good swimmers and looking to get wet and get scared, the slides and water coaster and wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon might fit the bill.

12 and 18. As it stands, I have two "no park" days to take in the hotel and Downtown Disney. We'll definitely use the miniature golf vouchers. I feel bad that I outright dominated the then 11 y.o. last year to the point that I may have actually ruined her day. But let's face it. She's terrible.

If someone had said, "you've gotta go on this slide," or "the wave pool is so awesome," I'd be a little more convinced.

slappy magoo

12 and 18. As it stands, I have two "no park" days to take in the hotel and Downtown Disney. We'll definitely use the miniature golf vouchers. I feel bad that I outright dominated the then 11 y.o. last year to the point that I may have actually ruined her day. But let's face it. She's terrible.

If someone had said, "you've gotta go on this slide," or "the wave pool is so awesome," I'd be a little more convinced.

Why not make it a kid's choice then? Before you hit the sack the night before tell them "here are your options for tomorrow - sleep late, hang at the pool and then go to Downtown Disney (or whatever else you might have lanned for the afternoon), or get up early and head out to one of the water parks."

stalkingmickey

Honestly I saw plenty of kids ( not tiny ones) having a blast at the BC pool in Sept. I personally loved our day at the pool floating along their lazy river and the pool grill and bar is great!. I stopped going to the water parks especially in the summer as I found I was waiting an hour in line for the slide and after a while day really only got to do them 1x each...way to crowed

jlsHouston

Stormalong Bay is a great pool for older kids IMO. I wouldn't say it is as thrilling as slides and wave pool at the water parks. We stayed at BC once and I think we will stay there this summer or maybe YC. I sort of preferred the pool scene at BWI over Stormalong Bay for some reason. As you can imagine Stormalong Bay is pretty crowded in the summer months. The slide is...long, I went down it....once...kids did it twice, they were still kind of young the summer we were there.

rt06

Original Poster
...with the emphasis on early.

The queues for the big slides at both the water parks become totally savage by early afternoon.
Rope-dropping the water parks is just as important as rope-dropping for Midway Mania or Soaring.

Hmm... I guess I'm severely underestimating the popularity of the water parks. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my "no park" days. We wouldn't even wait an hour for Space Mountain.

Bairstow

Hmm... I guess I'm severely underestimating the popularity of the water parks. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my "no park" days. We wouldn't even wait an hour for Space Mountain.

Keep in mind that a lot of families approach the water parks differently than they do the theme parks.
There are a lot of chairs and lounges to sit in, so a lot of parents sit/lay down with a book and a beverage and let the kids go line up for the slides.
If you're a drinker, the selection at both the Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach bars is several notches above what you'll find in most of the theme parks.
Blizzard Beach even has the France Pavillion's Grey Goose slushie and Jai Alai IPA on tap!

stalkingmickey

In the hot summer months if you are not there early you will be hard pressed to find chairs for the family and yes the lines are long for the slides. Never mind the trillion flights of stairs you have to go up!!! That killed me every time. And like previous poster said parents plop down and let the kids run free...not always a good thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The water parks are pretty consistent... Building crowds for the first two hours... packed.. and by 3pm it starts thinning out quickly as people run out of steam and/or want to get ready for the evening. The tail end of the day at the water parks is far more enjoyable... sun is past it's peak, crowds dwindling..

If you are picky about where you want to sit, you need to be there near opening (there are nooks and cranies in TL that are significantly more desirable than other areas). The popular stuff will have lines (like all water parks do) but they are lowest right at opening and in the last 2hrs of the day. There are plenty of things with no lines... wave pool, lazy river, lesser slides, etc.

Don't skip the water parks - they are probably the last area Disney has a good lead on most of the competition. TL 'feels' like a Disney quality attraction. If going around Epcot makes you depressed based on what used to be... the water parks will pick you up.

Bairstow

Don't skip the water parks - they are probably the last area Disney has a good lead on most of the competition. TL 'feels' like a Disney quality attraction. If going around Epcot makes you depressed based on what used to be... the water parks will pick you up.

I just want to reiterate that Typhoon Lagoon especially is a must-see for fans of Disney-quality engineering and rockwork.

Blizzard Beach isn't awful but it's several notches below Typhoon Lagoon in this department.

artificial-snorkeling-reef-big.jpg

78fb0f9e93236e1cda62f3195303b79d.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom