Can They Expand??

Patrick_Ears

Original Poster
Yes I know most likely this has been brought up before. But can Universal expand?? I know Disney is the king of all parks down in South Florida but really… Can they make a water park and maybe adding more attractions to them?

To me it seems they are trying to get to that level. But when I look on Google maps I’m like.... they have no massive land available.

Maybe one of you Universal experts can shed a light on this.

GLaDOS

Yes. They have room for at least 2 more hotels and a new water park already.

And more land can always be purchased.

neoshinok

Per maxairmike, Everything highlighted here is under consideration for purchase. If they continue their aggressive competition, Universal may have WDW level infrastructure within the next 15-20 years.

15nx8ow.jpg

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
They also have an expanse of land on a SECOND site, over by the convention center. I believe some of it has been sold, but money can make mountains move.

maxairmike

Per maxairmike, Everything highlighted here is under consideration for purchase. If they continue their aggressive competition, Universal may have WDW level infrastructure within the next 15-20 years.

Just a little FYI, I'm not as sold on that map, I've added plots and marked others as questionable based on recent filings/bankruptcy proceedings/etc. The land situation is very fluid and that image represented what I felt was correct based on information available at that time. The image is still a good guide, but don't take it as gospel. A small portion of the outlined area fronting Universal Blvd. is currently slated for an apartment complex to open towards the end of this year/early next year, for example.

Last edited:

seascape

Universal does not even come close to Disney. Disney has purchased more land outside of the original WDW boarders and in fact this additional land is more than Universal owns in all of Orlando. Anyway as for hotels, Disney has 36 resorts (including eight Disney Vacation Club properties) in a variety of price points featuring more than 30,000 hotel rooms; 3,293 DVC units; 799 campsites. (View updated Resort pricing information here).

What does Universal own ?? and what are they eventually able to grow to, 10,000 hotel rooms in total. Disney will add more than that total by 2025 and by then will have at least 5 major parks and 2 minor parks, Disney Springs which is much bigger than City Walk and at least the 2 water parks if not 3. Universal is a great company and this is not to take anything away from them but they will never be larger than Disney and why should they care. Having 2 great entertainment complexes in Orlando is better for both of them than being alone.

When Disney adds their next major park, expect it sometime before 2025 if not 2021, they will have 10 million visiters at that park, and still not lose any of their existing attendance at the current 4 parks.

Universal will continue to grow but they can't grow as much as Disney can because they do not have the land. They could move everything somewhere else but they will never do that because they have so much invested where they are now, that their only option to build a complex as big or bigger than Disney is to build it in another state and that is probably too risky for them. Texas is the only possibility I can think of where someone could build a park that could compare to WDW.

JediMasterMatt

Universal does not even come close to Disney. Disney has purchased more land outside of the original WDW boarders and in fact this additional land is more than Universal owns in all of Orlando...

Look, I LOVE Disney parks; but, even I can take the fanboy glasses off and see the truth.

Team Disney Orlando currently has no desire to fill that precious land with attractions, rides, and experiences. They have become complacent and all of us are to blame - we keep coming back. We are to blame for the Disney Decade+ of Stagnation.

WDW has become a monster that believes has hit perpetual motion to self sustain. It can continue to feed itself based on the hard work done by those that preceeded the current regime and created the incredible WDW legacy.

If you really love WDW, take a closer look at it and ask yourself - has it changed for the better and is it a fundmentally improved product compared to where it was a little as 15 years ago?

The only thing that matters to TDO is filling the resorts. The Parks are the draw and as long as we keep coming back, this mindset will prevail. What WDW NEEDS to be profitable is hotel occupancy. The entire business model that has been created requires it to be sustainable.

Universal has seized this moment of opportunity that Disney handed over to them when they refused to negotiate with JK Rowling (who in my opinion was simply trying to hold to her own high standards for her product much like old Disney Parks would). The Boy Who Lived has already changed the dynamic in O Town and phase II will further cement it.

You see, Universal's goal wasn't initally to compete with Disney. They were simply trying to steal days away from Disney at this point. This they are doing very effectively. They know people will travel to Orlando to visit WDW; but, they want to also have them spend time at Universal. In this, they have already done with Phase I.

Enter Phase II, Diagon Alley. When this opens and has the impact that it will, it lays the framework for MUCH bigger objectives. Universal then goes after the big fish - stealing not only day trips to Universal parks, stealing nights spent in a Universal resort. When you are offering superior levels of accomdations for the price as your competitor AND throwing in perks that they can't match (unlimited Express Pass and early entry) - it becomes an offer too good to pass up and people will either split their stay or WDW save us... speand their entire visit at a UO resort.

With the attendance boost that UO is going to get over the next few years from Phase II, all of that land south of I-4 becomes very much the future. Comcast isn't playing around. There is more gold to be made in Orlando than all of what is in Gringotts.

Seascape mentioned all the land that WDW has; but, the question you should be asking is what they are going to do with it? I can guarantee that Universal's land aquistions won't be filled with acres of empty wetlands. It will be compressed and filled with resorts and park(s) that are filled with rides and attractions.

Do you want to know where Universal learned this? All you need to do is look to the West and see what was done in Anaheim. Disneyland Resort is a perfect example of making the most out of the space you have. The apprentice becomes the master.

I can only hope that the sleeping giant will awake at WDW when resort occupancy can no longer be hidden. Until they can pull their head out of their tablet/smart phone little world of fantasy vacation micromanagement - I have little hope. Oh well, at least Disneyland Resort is still improving and growing.

seascape

Disney has not been sitting around doing nothing. You may not like what they have done in Orlando but they have other places to invest also. $5.8 billion in the new China park, money in Parris, Money in Calfornia, and yes they have put billions into Orlando. I think the magic bands and MDE is money well spent. You may not see it but I do and I think it will allow more people to enjoy the wonder experiences that Disey has to offer.

I am not blind, but there are many who complain about what TDO is spending in Orlando are. Do you see the money going into Disney Springs? How about AK? There is more than Pandora. New night time show, and other things coming. You will see a major expansion at DHS soon. I know you and others don't like the word soon but it will be finished around the same time as AK. 2017 is not that far away. And you can be sure that there will be many other new things at WDW by the 2021 50th. TDO has and will continue to improve WDW and there will be 5 and maybe 6 major parks within the next 20 years. It will take Univesal years before they will have 10,000 hotel rooms and by the time they do WDW will have 50,000 to 60,000.

No matter what anyone else says here, the two parks do better because of each other and the people in Orlando should be thankful for both of them. The rest of us who travel and vacation in Orlando are happy that Walt made his decission to put WDW in Orlando and gave us the opportunity to vacation there. Be happy for what we have and some day I may actually make it over to Universal but I have not been yet other than eating in the Hard Rock once about 20 years ago and I never went in the park. I will never put down Universal because they do offer things that sound great but they will never be able to handle crowds the size the magic kingdon gets because they do not have the land. I do expect them to continue to grow in both attendance and number of attractions but then they will have to limit the number of people in the park and the number who use their front of the line system or the regular customers who do not have the money to pay for it will stop going.

seascape

I did a real quick look up and found close to 2,000 acres that WDW and or Reedy Creek own just outside of the existing park. that is lots of land to build more attractions not counting what they own inside the park. As for quality of the parks, I can't say much about Universal since I have never been there but I know they have some high quality attractions and that HP is great. However, I do not care for rollercoasters and their looks. I think most people would agree that the landscaping at WDW coasters is better than at Universal but the Universal has more intense rollercoasters.

Now if Universal wants to keep quality that I think everyone would agree that both parks should have that requires not stuffing in too many attractions. Size does matter as does attendance and lines and the time waisted in them. I for one believe that giving every customer 3 fast passes a day is a much better and fairer system than charging people exrtra for front of line rights. That is too six flags for me.

lazyboy97o

I did a real quick look up and found close to 2,000 acres that WDW and or Reedy Creek own just outside of the existing park. that is lots of land to build more attractions not counting what they own inside the park. As for quality of the parks, I can't say much about Universal since I have never been there but I know they have some high quality attractions and that HP is great. However, I do not care for rollercoasters and their looks. I think most people would agree that the landscaping at WDW coasters is better than at Universal but the Universal has more intense rollercoasters.

Now if Universal wants to keep quality that I think everyone would agree that both parks should have that requires not stuffing in too many attractions. Size does matter as does attendance and lines and the time waisted in them. I for one believe that giving every customer 3 fast passes a day is a much better and fairer system than charging people exrtra for front of line rights. That is too six flags for me.
Walt Disney World has been a massive land holding since the 1960s. That is not new, not different and in no way an indication of expansion. There is also land that must legally be set aside for conservation.

JT3000

I'm pretty sure most of us are already well aware of how large each resort is. Although I personally don't see what's so great about Disney having more space left when most of it will just be used on timeshares and the like. If they want to trounce the competition in number of hotel rooms, that's great for them I guess, but I have zero use for them.

As for upcoming park projects, it sounds like a whole lot of conjecture to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom