Just got back from a long-ish trip. Some random thoughts.

This isn't going to be a trip report, but I had a bunch of random thoughts I wanted to touch on.

Festival of Fantasy totally lives up to the hype. I loved it and I don't even like parades. Someone needs to give me a pair of the Raven Men boots.

Those people who have been poo-pooing the tiny castle on top of Be Our Guest have completely missed an amazing feature- that little castle has created an amazing secondary viewing area for Wishes on and in front of the Be Our Guest bridge. Framed in front of the miniature castle, the fireworks look HUGE, and there's almost no one else there. If you're not watching Wishes from the Be Our Guest bridge, you're doing it wrong.

If you listen closely, the reggae music they play at Rainforest Cafe has pretty raunchy lyrics.

I never noticed it before but Restaurantasaurus has possibly the most interesting themeing I've ever seen at Disney. We didn't eat there, but we did spend several minutes standing too close to people who were while gawking at all the clever touches and thoughtful details in the decor, especially on the "students" side. Seriously, if you're a fan of Imagineering in general you've got to check this place out. I mean, the "Zip Awards"! This this thing is a masterpiece.

Additional themeing kudos for the tiny waiting area to meet Wreck-it-Ralph characters. Fans of video games will really appreciate the little in-jokes on the scrolling LED board and the really spiffy BGM loop this little alcove has. There's not much to this, but you can tell a lot of love went into it by an imagineer who cares.

While we're on the subject, Vanelleope Von Schweetz is apparently a huge Game of Thrones fan. She totally geeked out when she saw my sister's T-shirt.

Tangierene Cafe is better than Restaurant Marrakesh in every possible way for half the price.

Before you die you need to try the bread pudding at Raglan Road.

Before you try the bread pudding at Raglan Road you need to have like 4 Guinesses.

DisneyQuest is a museum. The only thing there worth your time is Let's Go Jungle.

We did both waterparks on consecutive days and Typhoon Lagoon is easily the better of the two. It's just more pleasant to explore and be at.

Oh, and a word about the three tallest slides at Walt Disney World:

Humonga Kowabunga: Quick but painful. I've still got a nice bruise on my butt.
Summit Plummet: Intimidating but actually a lot of fun. Not sure it was worth the 45 minute wait, though.
Slush Gusher: Positively Terrifying. Repeatedly losing contact with the surface of the slide is really disconcerting.

The Rix red lager at Coronado Springs is really good. Wish I had more of this.

The Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show is lame except for the Under the Sea sequence where there's like 20 invisible people on stage in black bodysuits operating day-glo puppets. Also, lasers. If the entire show was lasers and bunraku it would be a must-do.

The Beauty and the Beast stage show is lame except for... wait, no, the Beauty and the Beast stage show is just lame.

If the desk clerk at the Swan tells you that the walk to MGM Studios is only 5 minutes, don't believe her.

Am I misremembering things, or did the floor of the Tower of Terror boiler room used to have spilled-out glowing coals on the floor? The orange glow is still there in places, but no coals.

Journey of the Little Mermaid has a pretty amazing queue, what with the semi-interactive crab game and all the waterfalls, but when we were there the Scuttle figure's hand was coming off! The figure was still moving, but the little "hand" portion of his left arm/wing was detached except for a thread and flopping around gruesomely. I've got video I may post later.

DisneyPrincess5

Great notes thanks for sharing.

I agree with you about the mermaid show. And also the concern about one of the water slides. I never went on due to the fear of my body not always touching the slide and this conforms that fear. Wow.

Thanks!

KLinder7

BOG bridge is a great spot, but if you can time it right and be on BTM the view is great too!
image.jpg

Blueskyze

Those people who have been poo-pooing the tiny castle on top of Be Our Guest have completely missed an amazing feature- that little castle has created an amazing secondary viewing area for Wishes on and in front of the Be Our Guest bridge. Framed in front of the miniature castle, the fireworks look HUGE, and there's almost no one else there. If you're not watching Wishes from the Be Our Guest bridge, you're doing it wrong.

I am definitely going to try this next time - thanks for the tip!

While we're on the subject, Vanelleope Von Schweetz is apparently a huge Game of Thrones fan. She totally geeked out when she saw my sister's T-shirt.

I'm kind of geeking out over your sister's shirt, too. That is AWESOME!!

NYwdwfan

I had a huge disagreement with my husband prior to watching Wishes - he insisted the launch points were directly behind the castle and we had to be standing in front of the castle to have a good view - I knew he was dead wrong - so I just let him go. The rest of us watched from around Gaston's Fountain. It was a beautiful vantage point. Hubby joined us mid-way through after he realized I was right. :cool:

If the desk clerk at the Swan tells you that the walk to MGM Studios is only 5 minutes, don't believe her.

She must walk really, really fast.

Bairstow

Original Poster
I had a huge disagreement with my husband prior to watching Wishes - he insisted the launch points were directly behind the castle and we had to be standing in front of the castle to have a good view - I knew he was dead wrong - so I just let him go. The rest of us watched from around Gaston's Fountain. It was a beautiful vantage point. Hubby joined us mid-way through after he realized I was right. :cool:

Glad he came around.
The main launch platforms, as best I can tell, are on the northwest corner of the Be Our Guest building.
There are a few fireworks in Wishes that are shot from the sides and rear of Cinderella Castle, but if you turn around you can still see these from most parts of new Fantasyland.
The audio for the show can be clearly heard from this area as well- isn't it audible all over the Magic Kingdom?

The only real downside of watching Wishes from Be Our Guest that when it's over you won't be in position to see the Celebrate the Magic projection show, though we were able to walk through Liberty Square back to the hub and get in position with time to spare.

A word about Celebrate the Magic, though- it is possible to be too close. The projection is actually a lot more impressive if you're at least behind the "Partners" statue, if not farther away.

NYwdwfan

Glad he came around.
The main launch platforms, as best I can tell, are on the northwest corner of the Be Our Guest building.
There are a few fireworks in Wishes that are shot from the sides and rear of Cinderella Castle, but if you turn around you can still see these from most parts of new Fantasyland.
I rather liked the feeling of being surrounded by the fireworks. And the perspective of seeing the fireworks over Beast's castle is really cool.

As an aside - when I was there it was extremely cloudy and foggy one night. We were in Adventureland when Wishes started and we could HEAR them launching the fireworks and SEE a faint trail up to the sky, but the cloud cover was so thick you could not see the fireworks when they exploded.

FettFan

The Beauty and the Beast stage show is lame except for... wait, no, the Beauty and the Beast stage show is just lame.

Except for when the Beast can't keep his pants on.

Then it's friggin' HILARIOUS.

Also, even if Vanellope isn't a GoT fan..... that t-shirt is SWEET.

fractal

nice report and I agree with you on Restaurantasaurus. My daughter and I enjoyed looking in all the "cages" at the different fossils and artifacts.

The burgers are pretty good too!

Bairstow

Original Poster
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning my Mother of Dragons shirt in your post! :-D I'm going to WDW in less than 2 weeks, and I'll be wearing it too! :)

Ms. Collentine? If that's you, awesome job on the artwork!
Have fun at Disney!

While my sister got a lot of fun compliments from cast members on her Mother of Dragons shirt, the "Master Mouse" shirt I bought only got me some sideways glares from other guests.

Bairstow

Original Poster
Do you enjoy stage shows at all? I ask because DW and I enjoyed both of those shows. We also enjoy our local theater group shows. So, perhaps it's a question of what you enjoy.

I do, but as far as the Disney World shows go I only really like the shows that exhibit some creativity beyond simply trying to put an animated movie on stage exactly the way it looked in the film. Festival of the Lion King and especially the Finding Nemo show (original Lopez music! new Michael Curry puppets!) are great in this regard.

photoflight

Glad he came around.

They're launched from about 850ft due north (behind) "Be Our Guest" on the extreme edge of the park boundary just on the southern edge of Flordian Way.

photoflight

It's a square fenced-in area with a bunch of individual launch platforms (whatever they're called). Click here and you'll see it.

This is maybe a little clearer than Google's version:
i-m9tmSHJ-L.jpg

The other sites are on top of the buildings either side of the Castle. During the day they have blue covers on them. They're pretty obvious in this picture, they're the rectangular boxes lined up on the roofs:

Click to enlarge...

More trivia: the piping around the launch sites on the roof are fire-suppression sprinklers. They generate a lot of runoff on the ground around the buildings just prior to and just after the fireworks. :)

Edit: updated with clearer image.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Original Poster
More trivia: the piping around the launch sites on the roof are fire-suppression sprinklers. They generate a lot of runoff on the ground around the buildings just prior to and just after the fireworks. :)

We definitely noticed that.
After Wishes there was water running in all the drains and off the roofs of most of the buildings in Old Fantasyland and Liberty Square.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom