Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

TinkerBell9988

The inventory (just compared to the O-Town stores) has just been abysmal over the last few years, so much so that I have asked CMs that work there if they are closing the store.

I have been visiting since it opened in its first, much larger, location back in 1995. I used to drop hundreds of dollars in visits. And I'd get very nice stuff for both myself and gifts for others.

It's just become largely a tees and plush and cheap toys location.

I'll have to make a visit to Mickey's of Glendale soon!!!

Yes, the original store was the best! Where Tommy Hilfiger is now, across from J.Crew Factory! Haha actually funny (or not so funny) story - my mom's purse was stolen at the original Disney Outlet in 2001.

The original had the best stuff and it was always packed with people and inventory. They also had a high inventory turnover which was great if you were at that mall twice a month. Glad to see someone else has fond memories of the place!

TinkerBell9988

Those shirts will be sold all over WDW and DLR. Take it to the bank ... they are already selling WDW Co_op exclusive dinnerware and glasses at DLR.

No, those shirts are online only, trust me. Perhaps similar styles will go into the store but they will not be the exact same designs.

Cesar R M

It's kind of not fair to compare AA's from hand drawn characters to CGI characters. Hand-animated characters are notoriously hard to make AA's out of. It's why the figures in DL's dark rides have all been rather static and most of them still look kinda hokey. It's just really hard to transfer a two-dimensional hand drawn character into three dimensions. Attractions can try to avoid the problem by using painted flats (a la Mr. Toad's) and why not; even with Ariel it just shows they haven't really solved the problem.

I'm hoping the projected faces can much better assimilate the squash and stretch that animation needs - although it may be limited to faces (the bulging cheeks on Grumpy from that video is particularly impressive).

For CGI, the character is already in 3-dimensions and you can pull from the model quite easily. They also haven't really tried squash and stretch on AA's from CGI characters yet either. The Buzz and Potato Head AA's are meant to be plastic and not deformable (the rigidness of plastic is the reason why Pixar went with toys as the subject of their first movie, as computer technology at the time couldn't handle anything else). The Cars characters are the same, they are rigid bodies that aren't deformable, so it's understandable that AA's for them could come out pretty well.

Really the best AA from a traditionally animated character I can think of is Scuttle from the new Mermaid rides. Pooh has never really gotten there either. Hunny Hunt went with the rather realistic looking stuffed bear version rather than the cartoony look.

So doing an AA of an animated character is a totally different beast from doing a figure that is supposed to be real looking. Although I do wonder if Disney is ever again going to do an attraction with life-like realistic human AA's. Those are the shining glories of the technology, and I'm bummed nothing new using them has come out in a long time.

Disagree, Cars have very deformable structures in a few zones, specially the face.. the suspension and tires zones..

LithiumBill

And continuing my personal campaign to see to it that people view Michael Eisner and his tenure just a bit fairly is this interesting read:

http://news.investors.com/041514-69...lepicks&src=aurlafw&google_editors_picks=true

I particularly enjoyed this:

<<Disney's market cap increased from $2 billion to $53 billion from 1984 to 1996. Eisner could point to 18 new businesses into which he'd led the company since taking the reins, including professional sports teams, live Broadway shows and Disney stores.>>

How many new businesses has Bob Iger led Disney into? (No, buying other film studios doesn't count!)
Is Iger Disney's version of Gil Amellio?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, here we are a day later and WDW's media invite page is still open to anyone. It is even out on Twitter.

And what are Dr. Blondie, Bland Tommy, Crazy Gary and Lovely Leanne doing about it? Right, they are busy patting themselves on the behinds over a great Disney Social Media Mommy's event at DLR.

Seriously, I'm thinking maybe I should apply for a credential. My threads get MILLIONS of hits annually (and, despite what some believe, I generally am not trying to hit any MAGICal numbers) ... I have visited every Disney Resort the world over and am quite knowledgeable about all of their business units. And again, my voice is more significant in social media than dozens of their Mommy Bloggers added together.

So ... what do you y'all think? Don't I deserve a free room (wondering what resort they'll be at, my gut says Grand Flo for a lot since they have brand new rooms to ), free food and booze, swag and five minutes to interview insignificant Imagineers while a handler watches over?

I'm sure the folks at CP already view me as a gem anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't (truly) attend on their dates as it conflicts with my Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday, so how about I request a proxy in my place?

Someone who could represent the WDWMAGIC.com discussion boards, only the No. 1 WDW-centric site in social media circles. How about my trusty No. 2 @Lee? He doesn't drink, so they can't get him drunk to impress him about the mine train ride. And timeshares don't make his toes tingle. Now, he might want to start dancing when the FoF Parade steps off. Or what about @marni1971? He has integrity and his videos attract countless viewers online and he doesn't make money from that? Does it for the love of it. Maybe he and M. would like a free spring visit on WDW Co? Or what about my new pal @ParentsOf4 ... just for having four teens and spending countless $$$ on MAGICal WDW vacations, he deserves to be my proxy, right? Hell, we could even send @flynnibus. I don't always agree with him, but he has a brain and is quite capable of not being bought off on the cheap.

What says you guys/gals? Should we politely ask the good folks at CP for an invite since they apparently are inviting the world?

#WDWGEMS

WDW1974

Original Poster
On the subject of Disney and Social Media ... word has it that Disney is pushing its Mommies hard to w- RunDisney because apparently New Balance, which gave out a small fortune in swag, was not at all happy with the turnout for the 5K run they had during the event.

RunDisney is a major growth business for Disney, so one can understand how they want Mommy Bloggers to push it.

Cesar R M

So, here we are a day later and WDW's media invite page is still open to anyone. It is even out on Twitter.

And what are Dr. Blondie, Bland Tommy, Crazy Gary and Lovely Leanne doing about it? Right, they are busy patting themselves on the behinds over a great Disney Social Media Mommy's event at DLR.

Seriously, I'm thinking maybe I should apply for a credential. My threads get MILLIONS of hits annually (and, despite what some believe, I generally am not trying to hit any MAGICal numbers) ... I have visited every Disney Resort the world over and am quite knowledgeable about all of their business units. And again, my voice is more significant in social media than dozens of their Mommy Bloggers added together.

So ... what do you y'all think? Don't I deserve a free room (wondering what resort they'll be at, my gut says Grand Flo for a lot since they have brand new rooms to *****), free food and booze, swag and five minutes to interview insignificant Imagineers while a handler watches over?

Unfortunately, I can't (truly) attend on their dates as it conflicts with my Faux Top One Percent Spirited Spring Holiday, so how about I request a proxy in my place?

Someone who could represent the WDWMAGIC.com discussion boards, only the No. 1 WDW-centric site in social media circles. How about my trusty No. 2 @Lee? He doesn't drink, so they can't get him drunk to impress him about the mine train ride. And timeshares don't make his toes tingle. Now, he might want to start dancing when the FoF Parade steps off. Or what about @marni1971? He has integrity and his videos attract countless viewers online and he doesn't make money from that? Does it for the love of it. Maybe he and M. would like a free spring visit on WDW Co? Or what about my new pal @ParentsOf4 ... just for having four teens and spending countless $$$ on MAGICal WDW vacations, he deserves to be my proxy, right? Hell, we could even send @flynnibus. I don't always agree with him, but he has a brain and is quite capable of not being bought off on the cheap.

What says you guys/gals? Should we politely ask the good folks at CP for an invite since they apparently are inviting the world?

#WDWGEMS

Maybe I should get into drag and claim I'm a Mommy from Mexico and apply lol!

WDWFanDave

So ... what do you y'all think? Don't I deserve a free room (wondering what resort they'll be at, my gut says Grand Flo for a lot since they have brand new rooms to *****), free food and booze, swag and five minutes to interview insignificant Imagineers while a handler watches over?

#WDWGEMS

Sounds like a great opportunity...but, will anyone there be available to answer the difficult questions that need answers? Oh, wait...never mind...

Funmeister

On the subject of Disney and Social Media ... word has it that Disney is pushing its Mommies hard to w- RunDisney because apparently New Balance, which gave out a small fortune in swag, was not at all happy with the turnout for the 5K run they had during the event.

RunDisney is a major growth business for Disney, so one can understand how they want Mommy Bloggers to push it.

Reminds me of a story back in the 1990's when Test Track was delayed (after the sixth time) and all of a sudden Disney had a new fleet of GM service vehicles (electric and non-electric). Hmmmmmmmm Did Disney feel obligated with that purchase/lease/rental? #RunDisneyRun #BigPromisesSmallDeliveries

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, what do you think a list of Golden Oak residents is worth to TDO/CP?

You think that might be something they don't want you to know about?

For instance, let me throw this one out there for y'all: one of the first legit buyers of a home at Golden Oak wasn't some wealthy midwestern self-made businessman in his 70s that just loves WDW and bringing his extended family down seven times a year.

No, it was the Walmart Corporation (you know, the company that likes to tell the world how its execs travel two to a room and stay at places like Days Inn). Yes, there is a house there that is a corporate retreat for Walmart.

That's just one. And, yes, I do know almost every purchaser at Golden Oak.

Don't be distracted by a few Brazilians and some PR spin.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well the mojito is because WDW management is cheap and refuses to order more mint leaves.

Nailed it. Too cheap to buy mint at the main bar of their highest caliber resort. ... Most bars at places like TGI Friday's have mint on hand.

The frozen drink is because the bartenders hate making them so they made the band say the noise from the blender disturbed them. ;)

While I believe that may be one version, I've been told it simply takes too long so they have dispatched those beverages from the menu. You can get them at the pool bar.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think that if it were up to Uni, the HP fansites would not be involved or any fansites for that matter. It is my impression that WB and/or JKR arranges for them to be treated like "media."

That was my belief, but I wasn't sure of it.

On a similar subject, one of the 'issues' I have been told regarding Diagon Alley's build and Gringotts is that WB and JKR have had a much smaller role. They appear to feel that UNI did everything right the first go around and aren't micro-managing this time. Part of it may also have to do with Potter set to open in Osaka. ... But the creatives largely feel that Diagon and Gringotts would be better if Warner Bros and Rowling were paying closer attention to what is going on.

It should be noted that while Jim Hill & Brigante are often Uni's guests at these events, they are there in their capacities as representatives of Huff Po & Fox News, respectively (REALLY!)

I don't even know what to say to that. I just don't ...

Leaky (a Potter fansite) has managed to arrange after hours events and conventions at UOR, but that's basically available to any organization with enough cash to make it happen.

I will say that in my experience, Leaky & Mugglenet are both (or were) really well-run, respected sites. Most notably, JKR flew the heads of both to her castle in Edinburgh for the release of Half-Blood Prince. Both were also at the forefront of podcasting. Lifestylers would do well to learn from how Leaky & Mugglenet conducted themselves in social media almost 10 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

As for Fantasmic, who can really be bothered to care?

Oh c'mon, getting things right is the whole point. And Fantasmic remains a great show in Anaheim (that show opened in 1992 ... WDW's opened in 1998).

WDW1974

Original Poster
The odd part though is that Eisner had this to say about Iger last year regarding Iger's eventual retirement from Disney-

“If I had my choice I would have him stay even longer, God knows, maybe he will. The longer he stays, the better it is for the shareholders.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...praises-iger-plays-down-lone-ranger-bomb.html

He could be lying of course for reasons i don't know, but I really don't know why he's offering so much public praise if he's as against Iger as 74 claims. Only possible GOOD reason I can think of for him giving this unnecessary comment is that he thinks Iger's alternative is even worse and Iger is the lesser of two evils (which I suppose could be possible if Rasulo is the front runner, but I was under the impression Iger and Rasulo are essentially the same). But still, making such comments that catering towards stock holder needs alone at the expense of quality is precisely what the fanbase is so against in the first place.

I posted this in the other spirited thread, but 74 has since migrated to this new one so I figured i'd post this again here as we're back to Eisner talk. I don't pretend to know all the goings-on within the company or its politics. Is there some ulterior motive he has for making a comment like this?

This is all Hollywood politics. I'm also sure that 98% of non-industry folks didn't get Eisner's true messages to Iger and Co. when he tweeted from HKDL, the SDL site and later at WDW with the grand kids.

Do you think that Michael Eisner doesn't lie? Or that he doesn't speak with agendas? C'mon. Michael also can't stand the thought of either Rasulo or Staggs running Disney and take a look at the timing of those quotes -- right around the time the whole succession talk heated up. He may have been talking up Iger because he is so much better than the other options.

Do you remember Roy E. Disney? How he never had a public issue with Eisner until he was forced off the BoD and the stock (and his personal fortune) took a tumble?

Sometimes you praise people you can't stand. Watch, I'll go now ... I think WDW is run by truly visionary leadership that while having full respect for the amazing history they have been entrusted with firmly have their eyes on making the future brighter and bolder than any of us could begin to dream of.

You see how easy it is to bull$hit people?

Hollywood thrives on that. Talk to Michael in person. Bring up Iger and various aspects of how the company is run without a mic or recorder on and see what comes out.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I completely get what you're saying, but that practice is generally more ideal and likely to succeed when relations hadn't already gone horribly wrong in the recent past. It hasn't been a decade now since the massive revolt against Eisner and his sacking, Iger himself is certainly going to be well acquainted with Eisner's politics enough not to trust anything he has to say. The board and stockholders themselves were the ones who revolted against Eisner and kicked him out in the first place. As of yet, it doesn't sound like Iger has made enemies of stockholders or many board members enough to be in danger of being kicked out (or for them to ignore his recommendations for a successor).

So i'm rather unsure who else in the company is going to listen to Eisner if he's trying to make friends. At least the higher ups. Given their almost universal support of Iger despite the MM+ blunders, Iger seems to have the stockholders AND at least most of the board under his control. What sort of power does Eisner command anymore (or thinks he commands) with anyone of major power or influence enough to actually make massive changes?

I don't wish to argue this point because ... well, I just know what I am talking about here. And I can't explain Hollywood politics ... it would be like trying to explain why Disney happily let John Carter and Lone Ranger tank. It makes no sense on the surface. But there's no business like show business. You just either accept it or you keep stating that it makes no sense ...

Michael is still quite a powerful presence. ... I'll also add that he is biding his time on many things. He has had a standing offer to be named a Disney Legend annually almost since he left. He's waiting ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Reminds me of a story back in the 1990's when Test Track was delayed (after the sixth time) and all of a sudden Disney had a new fleet of GM service vehicles (electric and non-electric). Hmmmmmmmm Did Disney feel obligated with that purchase/lease/rental? #RunDisneyRun #BigPromisesSmallDeliveries

GM provided hundreds of vehicles to WDW execs annually. I am not really sure when it started. ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom