AKL Arusha Savanna Views

johnvree

Original Poster
We have stayed at the AKL twice, but both times we ended up on one of the smaller savannas. This time we booked the Arusha Savanna. Any suggestions for requesting a particular view?

lostpro9het

We have stayed at the AKL twice, but both times we ended up on one of the smaller savannas. This time we booked the Arusha Savanna. Any suggestions for requesting a particular view?
Did you do online check-in when you got the smaller savanna views? We've stayed twice and both times got the online check-in view we requested.

abnorman

I used to work at the lodge (as a savannah guide). Bear in mind that at the end of the day, it's pretty much luck of the draw as to how good your viewing is - the animals pretty much roam where they want to. That said:

The rooms right at the end of the zebra trail overlook the area the animals use to go to the barn for their feedings every morning (around 9am to 11am when I was there a couple of years back, which means that they make their way over there from about 7.30am onwards).

On the other hand, if you're going to be on the Kudu Trail, I'd recommend the rooms in the middle that overlook Sunset rather than Arusha - the field of view is a little better (due to Arusha Rock blocking some of your view on Arusha).

Generally in my time there, we found that there was a trade-off between the best animal viewing rooms, and the walk required to get there - rooms at the end of the trails generally had better views, PLUS, if you pop outside the exit door at the end of the trails, you get great views close to the barns on either the Kudu or the Zebra (on the Kudu side, there's a pen where they keep whichever of the red-river hogs is off-show that day - they don't get along).

Of course, these rooms can see the barns easily, see fences easily, etc, so if you're trying to get the full, show-ready Disney magic, closer to the lobby is better. But really, for all its theming, the lodge is really just a zoo.

Last tip: visit Pembe. It's my favourite savannah even though it's a bit titchy. Not sure what they've got on it now, but when I was there, they had Okapi, hogs, an awesome hornbill who used to kill prey and come and lord it up in front of the overlook, and some other cool stuff. Plus, the bar's close at hand for a sundowner.

Hope this helps - I tend to waffle.

rt06

Lower floors have better viewing/photographing angles as trees can obscure the vista. The main concern is usually room location relative to the main entrance, so try to get close to the center unless you don't mind the walk. IMO, if you have to make budgetary concessions to get an arusha room, don't bother. A giraffe is a giraffe, and you'll see one either way.

jeffk410

I used to work at the lodge (as a savannah guide). Bear in mind that at the end of the day, it's pretty much luck of the draw as to how good your viewing is - the animals pretty much roam where they want to. That said:

The rooms right at the end of the zebra trail overlook the area the animals use to go to the barn for their feedings every morning (around 9am to 11am when I was there a couple of years back, which means that they make their way over there from about 7.30am onwards).

On the other hand, if you're going to be on the Kudu Trail, I'd recommend the rooms in the middle that overlook Sunset rather than Arusha - the field of view is a little better (due to Arusha Rock blocking some of your view on Arusha).

Generally in my time there, we found that there was a trade-off between the best animal viewing rooms, and the walk required to get there - rooms at the end of the trails generally had better views, PLUS, if you pop outside the exit door at the end of the trails, you get great views close to the barns on either the Kudu or the Zebra (on the Kudu side, there's a pen where they keep whichever of the red-river hogs is off-show that day - they don't get along).

Of course, these rooms can see the barns easily, see fences easily, etc, so if you're trying to get the full, show-ready Disney magic, closer to the lobby is better. But really, for all its theming, the lodge is really just a zoo.

Last tip: visit Pembe. It's my favourite savannah even though it's a bit titchy. Not sure what they've got on it now, but when I was there, they had Okapi, hogs, an awesome hornbill who used to kill prey and come and lord it up in front of the overlook, and some other cool stuff. Plus, the bar's close at hand for a sundowner.

Hope this helps - I tend to waffle.

I have not made a savannah request yet. Do you have a suggestion of which one to request? Staying on DVC points too, not sure if that changes anything.

lostpro9het

Here are picks from the top floor, around 5320, Arusha view using an iPhone:
1506765_10201415097201501_874150934_n.jpg

1510597_10201415092961395_1195423916_n.jpg

1509218_10201415075200951_511279692_n.jpg

1517636_10201415074840942_285488175_n.jpg
1520626_10201415091641362_642006105_n.jpg

1538860_10201415071080848_2038710119_n.jpg

1557551_10201415097241502_1858493125_n.jpg

abnorman

I have not made a savannah request yet. Do you have a suggestion of which one to request? Staying on DVC points too, not sure if that changes anything.

The 4th & 5th floor can have issues with being a tad too high (though those photos above show you it's not a MASSIVE issue). The DVC rooms in Jambo House are all on the upper floors IIRC, so if you have the option, I'd go for a 2nd or 3rd floor room at Kidani on Sunset (I might be a little biased towards Kidani though :). If you have to go with Jambo, when I was there the Kudu Trail view of Sunset was generally regarded by us frontline CMs as the best option, but the animal distribution changes all the time. Most Arusha views will be great too.

I'd say the most underwhelming savannahs for most guests were Uzima and Pembe. Pembe because there's no giraffes, Uzima I guess because rooms can be close to the pool and it's also a bit smaller?

jeffk410

The 4th & 5th floor can have issues with being a tad too high (though those photos above show you it's not a MASSIVE issue). The DVC rooms in Jambo House are all on the upper floors IIRC, so if you have the option, I'd go for a 2nd or 3rd floor room at Kidani on Sunset (I might be a little biased towards Kidani though :). If you have to go with Jambo, when I was there the Kudu Trail view of Sunset was generally regarded by us frontline CMs as the best option, but the animal distribution changes all the time. Most Arusha views will be great too.

I'd say the most underwhelming savannahs for most guests were Uzima and Pembe. Pembe because there's no giraffes, Uzima I guess because rooms can be close to the pool and it's also a bit smaller?

Interesting, I have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo, but I tend to be biased toward Jambo. Both are amazing, I think I just enjoy the lobby at Jambo more. I appreciate the feedback, I think I was on Arusha last time.

abnorman

Interesting, I have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo, but I tend to be biased toward Jambo. Both are amazing, I think I just enjoy the lobby at Jambo more. I appreciate the feedback, I think I was on Arusha last time.

Kidani just has many more memories for me. As a CM - it's quieter, and guest interaction tends to be WAY more fulfilling. Most peeps at Jambo are there to gogogo and check things off their Disney list quickly, so it can be a bit of a (human) zoo. Kidani guests are all DVC folk, who are a bit more relaxed. I was lucky to chat for 30 seconds with somebody at Jambo, whereas I regularly nattered away an hour at a time with Kidani guests (easiest job in the world, much?).

Eärendil

Kidani just has many more memories for me. As a CM - it's quieter, and guest interaction tends to be WAY more fulfilling. Most peeps at Jambo are there to gogogo and check things off their Disney list quickly, so it can be a bit of a (human) zoo. Kidani guests are all DVC folk, who are a bit more relaxed. I was lucky to chat for 30 seconds with somebody at Jambo, whereas I regularly nattered away an hour at a time with Kidani guests (easiest job in the world, much?).

We'll be at Kidani in 24 days (according to the countdown timer in my signature). It's our favorite resort.

NormC

We were on Pembe in Feb. We were sad that there were no Zebras or Giraffes on that savanna. Had I known I would have requested a different one. The Okapi was cool and there were Nyala and Waterbuck along with several bird species. We still enjoyed our stay although we have no plans to return to AKL. BLT is our home resort. It suits our family better. The poor lighting and long trek to Mara at Jambo were the nails in the coffin. Kidani needs a quick service food area.

dreamfinder

We will be doing a split stay (AoA & Kidani) as well in 20 days. Which Savannah rooms (3 bedroom villa) would you recommend we request?

You can check out a database of the AKL rooms here -> http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/animal-kingdom-villas/roomfinder-9273

However, common thought is to not request a specific room, but rather an area/view. Otherwise if the room is unavailable, they have no idea why you wanted that room and will place you where ever is available. Saying "near the elevator" is more likely to get filled than "room 305".

Bairstow

If you want to see something neat, wait until late at night and go alllllll the way to the end of the Kudu trail and go out on the fire escape.
The giraffe are often very active here, especially at 2-4 in the morning.

DisneyFreak23

[COUNTDOWN=]2014/05/17 18:00[/COUNTDOWN]

Thanks for the info and database, Dreamfinder. What area would you recommend for good views of the animals in the Sunset savannah?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
[COUNTDOWN=]2014/05/17 18:00[/COUNTDOWN]

Thanks for the info and database, Dreamfinder. What area would you recommend for good views of the animals in the Sunset savannah?
As others have suggested, request 3rd floor. Rooms 3363, 3364, 3365 and 3366 are at the end of the hallway (so a VERY long walk to lobby & pool) but IMO have the best Sunset views on property (even better than Arusha views). One morning I counted over 20 different animals as I sat on the balcony. We could see the feeding pen and it was so cool to watch the animals go to it whenever they heard their "tone." Always could see giraffes and zebras, with the giraffes walking very close to our balcony (like the pics you see in the Disney brochures). And because of our room location it was very peaceful and quiet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom