Sleeping Beauty Logical Question

Marc Gil

Original Poster
My mind has a tendency to overanalyze things, especially movies. So naturally after viewing the 1959 classic Sleeping Beauty, there was one tiny (well, not tiny) plot hole that I didn't quite understand. Now I know this is an animated movie aimed particularly towards children, but hear me out.

So here's the question:
Why did the three good fairies take Princess Aurora in and create a new life for her? I understand that they wanted to protect her from Maleficent, but her curse was only valid before the sun set on her sixteenth birthday. So why did the fairies take Aurora for 16 years, when they could've just protected her for that one day? Am I making a point?

Also, Merryweather altered the curse, making her fall in a deep sleep, only to be awakened by true loves kiss. Now since her birth, she was already arranged to be married to Prince Phillip, so wasn't he already the solution?

Again.... I understand that this is an animated film, and Disney films tend to have a few minor plot holes, but don't you think this kinda major?

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I thought the curse was she would prick her finger before the sunsets on her 16th birthday she could prick her finger at any point from the party through the sun setting on her 16th birthday not just on her 16th birthday.

Just because you have an arranged marriage doesn't mean it's true love.

The thing that bothered me was why did they bring her back before the curse was broken? They brought her back on her birthday. The thing that bothered me was why did they bring her back before the curse was broken? They brought her back before the sunset on her 16th birthday.

Marc Gil

Original Poster
I thought the curse was she would prick her finger before the sunsets on her 16th birthday she could prick her finger at any point from the party through the sun setting on her 16th birthday not just on her 16th birthday.

Just because you have an arranged marriage doesn't mean it's true love.

The thing that bothered me was why did they bring her back before the curse was broken? They brought her back on her birthday. The thing that bothered me was why did they bring her back before the curse was broken? They brought her back before the sunset on her 16th birthday.
Thanks for clarifying, but now I'm questioning what you're questioning! Curse my over-active mind! They should've just invited Maleficent to the party!!

Marc Gil

Original Poster
@RandomPrincess

I finally found an answers via Movie Mistakes.Com:

"Maleficent said "Before the sun sets on her 16th birthday, she will prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and die." The fairies don't take Aurora back to the castle until it is almost sunset and they plan on keeping her with them the whole time, so they probably felt it was safe."

Still, if I were one of the fairies, I would not dare to leave the cottage until the day after. But of course, they had to use their magic to attract Maleficient's Raven's attention, so they were screwed either way...

Anywho... My sanity is restored. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom