WDW: Hollywood Studios - Monster's Inc Coaster

FYI

Here is a view of the new restraints for the Carolina Cobra.

This doesn't really confirm anything, just something to look at for the restraints of the coaster that hasn't actually been announced. Also, keep in mind that the Carolina Cobra is not the same type of coaster, it's just the restraints that you should be looking at.

Carowinds depresses me...:cry::(

TP2000

Very cool design. Love the elevator lift. This is the kind of coaster design that Disney (or anybody else) could easily convert into an amazing dark ride. A slow moving non-inverting coaster and immersive dark ride combination definitely has unlimited potential. And I think it would be relatively inexpensive.

As has been mentioned, it's the tiny hourly capacity that would kill it.

Since most East Coasters have never been to Legoland California, I'll let you in on their dirty little secret; nearly all of their rides have miserably low capacity. I can count on one hand their rides that have only decent capacity and a wait time of less than 20 minutes on even slow days. But they have nothing like Disney's Pirates, Mansion, Thunder, Small World, Omnimovers, mega-coasters, etc., etc.

Legoland is adorable and a wonderful way for a Lego fan to spend the day in Southern California. But any ride system they may be using in their park, regardless of how cool it looks, should never be considered for a Disney park.

I have never seen inside the building but based on the exterior it looks like they are going to have to do what they did for TSM, redo the whole building interior and exterior.

Lee

Adventurer
True, capacity would make that former Legoland coaster unpractical.

I always thought the Mack was the obvious choice. Fully controlable, rotating, powered....looks perfect for an indoor MI coaster.
(These photos were posted before, but are a good illustration.)

Attachments

• Powered_Coaster_2005_1_fly.jpg
    Powered_Coaster_2005_1_fly.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Powered_Coaster_2005_3_fly.jpg
    Powered_Coaster_2005_3_fly.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 67

Sassagoula-Rvr

Agreed! I think a water coaster, dark ride hybrid themed to Indiana would be great. Add in some of the aspects of IJA and it would be a win, win.

YES someone agrees with me...I've always wanted a watercoaster/dark ride attraction based on Indy if we couldn't have IJA (one of my favorite Disney rides EVER.)

gigasteve

One element that I think could potentially make this ride great is if the can recreate the effect in the movie where you go through doors into the real world. It would be awesome if you see a door coming right at you and suddenly it opens and it your in some tropical locale.

Not sure exactly how they would do this, maybe a stationary door on the wall that would lead into the next room. But if they could create that illusion of a flat, free floating door leading into a 3 dimensional room - that would be cool.

EPCOT Explorer

I would think this style would work (used to be at Legoland, but closed 5 years ago):

p3003.jpg

Even has an elevator lift which could easily be themed to the mechanism in the movie that moves the doors around.

Cars could easily be rethemed to doors, but capacity would obviously be a huge issue here that would need to be addressed:
p3004.jpg

Compare to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7P2w4KkQAQ&feature=related View from 7:30 on
Yes, that's it...Thanks.:D
True, capacity would make that former Legoland coaster unpractical.

I always thought the Mack was the obvious choice. Fully controlable, rotating, powered....looks perfect for an indoor MI coaster.
(These photos were posted before, but are a good illustration.)

Indeed! Slap a door on it and you are done.

Has anyone thought that part of the track would be outside? would make some sense, right?:lookaroun

jt04

As has been mentioned, it's the tiny hourly capacity that would kill it.

Since most East Coasters have never been to Legoland California, I'll let you in on their dirty little secret; nearly all of their rides have miserably low capacity. I can count on one hand their rides that have only decent capacity and a wait time of less than 20 minutes on even slow days. But they have nothing like Disney's Pirates, Mansion, Thunder, Small World, Omnimovers, mega-coasters, etc., etc.

Legoland is adorable and a wonderful way for a Lego fan to spend the day in Southern California. But any ride system they may be using in their park, regardless of how cool it looks, should never be considered for a Disney park.

I would think they could create a magnetic lift system (elevator) that could lift the ride vehicles in rapid succession. Might not be ideal for this situation but I think it has potential. I just wonder what something like ToT would be like with 2-4 person suspended ride vehicles that "float" through different environments out of sight of other vehicles and that takes seemingly random routes through the ride building. Could be very cool.

That said, I think Lee's idea above is probably accurate.

ToTBellHop

The only way the Legoland ride system could work (and it would actually be very cool) would be to mimic the way the scene actually looks in the movie and have many different tracks (you see even Legoland had two tracks). I think it would look very cool to have multiple cars going through the same scene at the same time on different tracks--it's not the easiest or cheapest route, but I'm wary of full coaster trains, which would make me expect a pretty rushed ride with show scenes similar to Everest and I'm not sure how trains could be themed as doors without having horrible sightlines for anyone not in the front row. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they come up with.

Studios Fan

One element that I think could potentially make this ride great is if the can recreate the effect in the movie where you go through doors into the real world. It would be awesome if you see a door coming right at you and suddenly it opens and it your in some tropical locale.

Not sure exactly how they would do this, maybe a stationary door on the wall that would lead into the next room. But if they could create that illusion of a flat, free floating door leading into a 3 dimensional room - that would be cool.

That would be cool. I would like to a Yeti scene.
"Welcome to the Himalayas.":ROFLOL:

erasure fan1

That would be cool. I would like to a Yeti scene.
"Welcome to the Himalayas.":ROFLOL:

And the yeti could be making snow cones. Dont worry they're lemon. :lol:

My first choice would have been a water based attraction for the studios. But the monsters inc coaster sounds like a cool idea too. I mean the scene in the movie just screamed ride as soon as I saw it.

jonnyc

That would be incredible, would something like this be possible?

IWant2GoNow

That would be incredible, would something like this be possible?

It would definitely be possible, but it all depends on what Disney wants to spend and do with the ride. They could do a suspended 2 person car like the Pan boats but speed it up a bit and then just put the same technology they had with Mr. Toad and have the doors open just before you get to them. But seeing as this will be a big draw at DHS, I think the ride capacity would be a little low doing only 2 people per car/door. But I think being able to look down on scenes will be key in this ride. Like actually looking down at AAs of Mike and Sulley in the "Laugh Floor" as you go over top... actually... *dream sequence*

The queue line could be all about how you are being invited by Mike and Sully to their factory and your "door" will be arriving in the "Laugh Floor". As you turn the corner you see other doors (other riders but you would only see the back of the car as a door) in front of you cycling through the track. As you look down on the Laugh Floor you see Mike, Sulley, & all of the other monster workers waiting to welcome you. Suddenly your door stops as you believe you are about to be descended from the track to greet them up close. Mike fumbles with the controls wondering why your door won't descend when suddenly an over head "master control room" lights up and you see Randall messing with the controls saying that he "won't have humans in the monster world". The door then takes off without descending and continues on a fast track through the aforementioned Mr. Toad doors opening up to different worlds like the abominable snowman world (complete with a colder temperature). And so on, then eventually Mike and Sulley (most likely with the help of Boo somehow) save the day and right the doors to send you back to the human world.

*end dream sequence*

:king:

Studios Fan

It would definitely be possible, but it all depends on what Disney wants to spend and do with the ride. They could do a suspended 2 person car like the Pan boats but speed it up a bit and then just put the same technology they had with Mr. Toad and have the doors open just before you get to them. But seeing as this will be a big draw at DHS, I think the ride capacity would be a little low doing only 2 people per car/door. But I think being able to look down on scenes will be key in this ride. Like actually looking down at AAs of Mike and Sulley in the "Laugh Floor" as you go over top... actually... *dream sequence*

The queue line could be all about how you are being invited by Mike and Sully to their factory and your "door" will be arriving in the "Laugh Floor". As you turn the corner you see other doors (other riders but you would only see the back of the car as a door) in front of you cycling through the track. As you look down on the Laugh Floor you see Mike, Sulley, & all of the other monster workers waiting to welcome you. Suddenly your door stops as you believe you are about to be descended from the track to greet them up close. Mike fumbles with the controls wondering why your door won't descend when suddenly an over head "master control room" lights up and you see Randall messing with the controls saying that he "won't have humans in the monster world". The door then takes off without descending and continues on a fast track through the aforementioned Mr. Toad doors opening up to different worlds like the abominable snowman world (complete with a colder temperature). And so on, then eventually Mike and Sulley (most likely with the help of Boo somehow) save the day and right the doors to send you back to the human world.

*end dream sequence*

:king:

Good ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom