Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

mickEblu

I love how the Tangled attraction looks, but I think it needs more. More characters. More Gothel. More beats.

Agreed. I like how it starts outdoors. Gets off to a really nice start with the tower there.

I also think Frozen needed more beats like the wolves and Marshmallow. The Magic/ adventure stuff. Less scene by scene book report with small character interactions. Itโ€™s a ride. Not a soap opera or Broadway.

Animaniac93-98

ParkPeeker

They couldโ€™ve easily added a hooded gothel figure in the foreground of the snugly duckling scene looking for rapunzel. But seeing as this isnโ€™t a book report and it ends at the lights, they were probably like, it makes no sense letโ€™s just make it about her best day ever, which ends at the lights in the movie when she fulfills that dream.

ParkPeeker

โœ‹3 Elsas, ๐Ÿ‘‰ 3 gothels

1 at snuggly
IMG_9767.jpeg

1 at incantation hand scene
IMG_9766.jpeg

1 at a reworked post lights bush area
IMG_9765.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9766.jpeg
    IMG_9766.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 10

WaltWiz1901

This expansion is roughly 26 acres and has 4 attractions. "A bug's land" opened in 2002 at roughly 4 acres and opened 5 new attractions.
P.S. one of those attractions was only a splash pad, and most of the rides you're stacking these up against were nowhere near the same level (but did help add more capacity where it was sorely needed)...not really a fair comparison

OzAn

There is a whole one minute between the boat leaving the loading station and reaching the Flynn animatronic where there is nothing to see other than bush and a few laterns with the Tower still a distance away. They could have easily added a Mother Gothel animatronic or statue near those bushes strolling away from the tower after a visit to Rapunzel thinking all is well with her.

WaltWiz1901

It's a big note and a no-brainer... I suppose land-restraints forced it, but seeing and listening to the opening scene (Tower) from the queue for a long time diminishes that aspect of the ride. Other parts met or exceeded (didn't think outdoor figures would be AAs) expectations for the C/D-ticket. As noted, the flash flood from the movie begs for a long Splash Mountain style E-ticket for this IP. Maybe Disneyland Mumbai...
Hmm, now there's an idea for your next castle park buildout, whatever it may be...

SplashJacket

I love how the Tangled attraction looks, but I think it needs more. More characters. More Gothel. More beats.
I donโ€™t think it needs Gothel, imho. Similar to how a Frozen ride doesnโ€™t need Hans (whoโ€™s not a traditional villain, but a twist villain), a Tangled ride doesnโ€™t need Mother Gothel, who while is a more obvious villain, her villainry comes from gaslighting and entrapment, which isnโ€™t as conveyable in a dark ride as a monster or men with pointy teeth.

Usula, on the other hand, thereโ€™s no mistaking that sheโ€™s a villain just from her design (same with Hades, Chernabog, etc.)

I also think if they added a single more scene it would be more in the E-D range (which maybe they shouldโ€™ve done because if thatโ€™s all it required).

Now another 3 or 4 scenes wouldโ€™ve made it a headliner.

If they added a built snuggly duckling scene after seeing the exterior:

Extra scene 1: I have a dream snuggly duckking
Extra scene 1.5: guards arrive in snuggly duckling
Extra scene 2 secret door opens revealing a drop
Extra scene 2.5: tunnel with Flynn carrying a torch and Rapunzel looking look with royal guard footsteps in distance
Extra scene 3: Boat reaches a dead end and water is projected rising around Flynn and Rapunzel until the torch goes and boat gets lifted in darkness in a vertical rise-style lift
Extra scene 3.5: a different rapunzel figureโ€™s hair begins glowing, and a Flynn animatronic stabs a rock wall with a causing the rocks to collapse, allowing the boat to proceed forward

Genuinely, I think thatโ€™s all the ride needed to be the best ride in the world, which isnโ€™t really a whole lot considering this ride was likely designed as a D-ticket.

Consumer

I donโ€™t think it needs Gothel, imho. Similar to how a Frozen ride doesnโ€™t need Hans (whoโ€™s not a traditional villain, but a twist villain), a Tangled ride doesnโ€™t need Mother Gothel, who while is a more obvious villain, her villainry comes from gaslighting and entrapment, which isnโ€™t as conveyable in a dark ride as a monster or men with pointy teeth.

Usula, on the other hand, thereโ€™s no mistaking that sheโ€™s a villain just from her design (same with Hades, Chernabog, etc.)
Agreed. The Stabbington Brothers would work well as the villains of this ride.

tanc

Pure speculation, But do we think an IP from pocahontas or MOANA franchise be fitting to replace Splash Mountain.
I wish OLC would consider making Splash a ride for duffy, at least that would be a worthy replacement to me. It kind of blows my mind Duffy doesn't have really any attractions centered around him despite his popularity.

OzAn

Also think if Tokyo has to retheme Critter Country & Splash, Duffy & Friends makes the most sense. They have the benefit of being highly popular yet no pre-existing film, allowing Imagineers complete freedom to do whatever they like. The fact the six animal friends have totally different hobbies makes for variety in scenery too throughout Splash.

Brer Oswald

Pure speculation, But do we think an IP from pocahontas or MOANA franchise be fitting to replace Splash Mountain.
No. Not even slightly.

Regardless, the speculation is moot. Disney wants Tiana and OLC wants it to remain as is. I suspect the โ€œcompromiseโ€ that will be reached will be Disney footing most of, if not all, of the bill to convert the land into something that fits within the world of PatF.

TragicMike

I suggested Pocahontas as a possible choice previously. It has a few good songs and fits with the existing aesthetics of Critter Country. Moana seems more likely to go into TDS than TDL.
Pocahontas is dated and thereโ€™s no way Disney is going to touch that IP ever again. Notice how itโ€™s the only film from the Disney Renaissance that has absolutely zero movement towards a live action remake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom