News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

yensidtlaw1969

For those who are skeptical, compare this Blue Sky sketch for "Beyond Big Thunder" at Magic Kingdom with the new art for Avatar at Disneyland:

1712193500853.png

1712193512213.png

There's a reason one is so much more developed and detailed than the other - and it's not for the fun of it.

As always, reality never completely matches the concept art 100%, but this Avatar rendering isn't exactly speculative. Unlike Beyond Big Thunder, which is still also a very real project but whose attraction menu was (and maybe still is?) very much in flux at the time the image was released.

Last edited:

BrianLo

For those who are skeptical, compare this Blue Sky sketch for "Beyond Big Thunder" at Magic Kingdom with the new art for Avatar at Disneyland:

View attachment 776903

View attachment 776904

There's a reason one is so much more developed and detailed than the other - and it's not for the fun of it.

As always, reality never completely matches the concept art 100%, but this Avatar rendering isn't exactly speculative. Unlike Beyond Big Thunder, which is a very real project but whose attraction menu was (and maybe still is?) very much in flux at the time the image was released.

Here’s Animal Kingdom’s. It’s fairly baked concept art. Not perfect, but the broad details are the same

1712194212649.jpeg

mickEblu

View attachment 776903

View attachment 776904

As always, reality never completely matches the concept art 100%, but this Avatar rendering isn't exactly speculative. Unlike Beyond Big Thunder, which is a very real project but whose attraction menu was (and maybe still is?) very much in flux at the time the image was released.

The most artistic liberty i see in the concept art is the fact that guests are walking around on the foliage and the ocean/ mountains off in the distance. Circled in red below. Other than that it seems doable even if it won’t likely be as grand or beautiful in real life.

AE0FE88F-EEB2-49C2-9836-CC12500B5EB6.jpeg

BrianLo

Exactly. Has Josh D'Amaro ever shown a concept sketch that has actually been built or approved yet? I can't think of one, even though he's shown at least a half dozen concept sketches for new lands and rides for parks around the world.

Actually, you’d be surprised. Josh almost has a perfect batting average compared to Chapek.

MMRR (was his announcement even though Chapek was P&R head). Luminous, Tiana’s on both coasts, Country Bears, Epcot spine.

I do not think putting out a Dinoland project, saying they are working on its concept still, coming through with a superior version of it the following year counts against him in the slightest.

So that really leaves Beyond Big Thunder, which by all means is far from something even remotely promised as shown, but also far from cancelled…

And Avengers. Which technically only the new version was shown by him and that new version still was happening. But totally that counts if cancelled as his first mis-promise.

Most importantly of all this… this is an Iger project in technicality and Iger legacy projects have always seemingly come through.

BrianLo

Precisely. Not 100% but pretty darn close.

I’d actually go so far as saying the DCA one looks even more detailed and quite specific.

It’s much more of a proper view of the land itself, specific with evidence of queues, designed ride vehicles, outdoor animatronics, etc. I’d expect the shade structure is also real and I also feel like those three otter mermaid things aren’t just a design flourish.

It looks like the right side is the ride and the left sided structure is probably dining/retail.

Tha Realest

Scott Trowbridge comments on the possible Avatar experience: "At today’s Disney shareholder meeting, Bob Iger shared “Our Imagineers have been hard at work dreaming up what guests might expect” with a possible Disneyland Avatar experience. Yes…… we are……. Excited to share more in the future."

Hear me out.

Autopia is being reimagined.

This Instagram post. And his tweet from a year ago:

Bye bye Nemo and a reworked (shortened/rerouted) Autopia?

britain

While I definitely think Avatar is thematically right between sci-fi and fantasy, and therefore a better fit in between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, DCA really NEEDS a super high caliber Pirates equivalent boat ride. I’ll acquiesce to those needs rather than be a theme police stickler.

celluloid

View attachment 776903

View attachment 776904

Actually, it is very likely that this was an early concept for another park that was to feature Avatar attractions before it was scaled back and a different direction was taken;)

BrianLo

Hear me out.

Autopia is being reimagined.

This Instagram post. And his tweet from a year ago:

Bye bye Nemo and a reworked (shortened/rerouted) Autopia?

This lends ever better support to @britain theory it started life as a Subs overlay - especially since we now know Scott Trowbridge is project lead.

This might have ultimately 'killed' the other proposed Tomorrowland redo along the way.

mickEblu

This lends ever better support to @britain theory it started life as a Subs overlay - especially since we now know Scott Trowbridge is project lead.

This might have ultimately 'killed' the other proposed Tomorrowland redo along the way.

Possible but I have a hard time believing they’d put Avatar right next to the Matterhorn instead of Frozen. I also have a hard time believing Avatar was originally designed to go into DL when DCA is the park that needs it much more.

Last edited:

britain

Thanks, but I meant more of a sub replacement (probably a full bulldozing and new build) that retained the outdoor kinetic feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom