News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And vague concept art that will possibly not be built is not a vague announcement?
Never claimed it wasn't vague, but it was at least an actual announcement. The Autopia article was even less vague, and wasn't an official announcement of anything as Disney hasn't even confirmed it was really happening. Its a throw away comment from WDI.

celluloid

Well I would say that Avatar at DLR has a better than 50% chance of happening in some form, as that appears to be Iger's new pet project. The Autopia electrification thing I would put it at less than 50% of happening at this point until a real announcement is made.

Define real announcement? Because Bob Iger did not say it?

Official is official. A lot of things Bob Iger announces never happen.

Avatar is the only real motion picture monkey maker for Disney right now for them to latch onto with things in the works, so I for sure think something will happen. But Autopia also already has electric versions and Disneyland has the Net Zero initiative to please California.

I say things are about equal, particularly becuase in the long run it will revive Autopia a bit and reduce operating costs.
The kind of thing Disneyland will do to give people things before the five to eight years from now when Avatar Disneyland opens anything.

J4546

Seems like electrifying autopia would cost less than a million bucks. You could even keep the retro cars and body swap them in electric drive trains. I know there's more to it but it just seems like such a cheap logical improvement in tl

MagicWDI

The space where Autopia lies seems logical for Avatar. Or the Disneyland forward expansion zoning.
I dunno. I'm crossing my fingers on an Arendelle subland in the old Motorboat and northern Autopia areas. Picturing the Arendelle Castle on one side with the Matterhorn towering over on the other would be chef's kiss.

celluloid

Seems like electrifying autopia would cost less than a million bucks. You could even keep the retro cars and body swap them in electric drive trains. I know there's more to it but it just seems like such a cheap logical improvement in tl

Yes. Essentially you would be making the track into an inductive bus bar so the ride is electric and the cars respond to it.

Many antique car rides already have done this for a long time.

Hong Kong and some other attractions have recently opened like this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Define real announcement? Because Bob Iger did not say it?

Official is official. A lot of things Bob Iger announces never happen.

Avatar is the only real motion picture monkey maker for Disney right now for them to latch onto with things in the works, so I for sure think something will happen. But Autopia also already has electric versions and Disneyland has the Net Zero initiative to please California.

I say things are about equal, particularly becuase in the long run it will revive Autopia a bit and reduce operating costs.

Real announcement as in there is at least a blog post about it and a verbally acknowledged by a Disney exec in public. Avatar at DLR has not been said just once, but now multiple times by Iger and others with blog posts that followed. That is a real announcement. The details are obviously still where were missing the "realness" of it.

A vague comment from a Disney PR person in a news article that wasn't even being written originally about Autopia isn't a confirmation of anything just yet. Once there is an official blog post, or a Disney exec talking about it publicly, then I think its really happening.

But do I think the Autopia electrification will happen, yeah probably. But I'm also smart enough to know that nothing could happen and Disney scraps the whole area for something new, including Avatar. That is why I put it at less than 50% right now while I put Avatar happening at better than 50%.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Scott Trowbridge comments on the possible Avatar experience: "At today’s Disney shareholder meeting, Bob Iger shared “Our Imagineers have been hard at work dreaming up what guests might expect” with a possible Disneyland Avatar experience. Yes…… we are……. Excited to share more in the future."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Real announcement as in there is at least a blog post about it and a verbally acknowledged by a Disney exec in public. Avatar at DLR has not been said just once, but now multiple times by Iger and others with blog posts that followed. That is a real announcement. The details are obviously still where were missing the "realness" of it.

A vague comment from a Disney PR person in a news article that wasn't even being written originally about Autopia isn't a confirmation of anything just yet. Once there is an official blog post, or a Disney exec talking about it publicly, then I think its really happening.

But do I think the Autopia electrification will happen, yeah probably. But I'm also smart enough to know that nothing could happen and Disney scraps the whole area for something new, including Avatar. That is why I put it at less than 50% right now while I put Avatar happening at better than 50%.

It's not a lot more, but it was briefly mentioned in a Disney Parks Blog post yesterday.

"And we can’t leave out one of our opening day attractions – Autopia – which is on the road to electrification in the next few years. We look forward to sharing more about that in the future."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's not a lot more, but it was briefly mentioned in a Disney Parks Blog post yesterday.

"And we can’t leave out one of our opening day attractions – Autopia – which is on the road to electrification in the next few years. We look forward to sharing more about that in the future."

Cool, well that puts it up to 50% for me now, still behind Avatar happening at DLR. :)

Now we just have to hope they mention it at D23.

mickEblu

Looks like Scotty n the team learned a few lessons from GE and are trying incorporate more kinetic energy with Avatar Land. Design the kinetic energy as part of the main ride and it won’t be cut by the bean counters like the “unnecessary” third attraction or all the streetmosphere was cut from GE.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I dunno. I'm crossing my fingers on an Arendelle subland in the old Motorboat and northern Autopia areas. Picturing the Arendelle Castle on one side with the Matterhorn towering over on the other would be chef's kiss.

I dunno. I like the motorboat cruise dock. Took this one a couple trips ago. Hate to lose all the off the beaten path areas at DL.

57AB6A70-E384-4FD4-9B15-7257D0616C23.jpeg

Attachments

• 3CF2244D-1F65-4B43-B3D4-C1C23BBC43D6.jpeg
    3CF2244D-1F65-4B43-B3D4-C1C23BBC43D6.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

BrianLo

I love it! Looks fantastic. I’m so thrilled DAK and DCA get two very unique experiences. So much better than copy-paste Hogsmead for the millionth time.

It makes ab-so-friggen-lutely no sense in the backlot at DCA… but at least it looks awesome.

Why has everyone moved on so quickly away from the backlot? We have multiple independent sources that have converged on that plot and the details of this agree with all their leaks.

The only reason they are using ‘maybes’ is because the next hurdle is the DL Forward approval and they don’t want to appear too keen to invest regardless. It’s a ploy, but it’s also very, very real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom