News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Epcot81Fan

Joe Rohde was very likely forced to do that project and did the best he could with it. I can't imagine this was something he came up with without a significant level of restrictions in place.
“Raise your hands!!!! I’m a raccoon and don’t have hands!!!”

I’m sure “management” came up with that concept and script:

Hahahahahaha - keep defending it, it’s fun to witness.

Lilofan

When you work for a boss- it’s my way or the highway. Nothing to defend that , that’s reality.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I have yet to visit DCA after the switch to this, and I’m the last to defend something that’s bad. But ask anyone who knows things - Rohde did the best he could with the project he was assigned to.

I’d be surprised if he were to return, honestly.

SplashJacket

I have yet to visit DCA after the switch to this, and I’m the last to defend something that’s bad. But ask anyone who knows things - Rohde did the best he could with the project he was assigned to.
OG DCA ToT was mid. Didn’t live up to anywhere near WDW’s.

Mission Breakout is one of the most fun rides on the planet, imho.

Which is interesting, because Rhodes made Instagram posts basically complaining about purely “fun” attractions as many things can be fun (like playing with a plastic bag or water in a sink), without being lasting, impactful experiences.

Overall. Fantastic ride.

Admittedly, the exterior is ugly, but I’m not really sure what they could’ve done, but the ride itself actually lives up to (and perhaps exceeds) its ride system.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

You’re sheepishly trying to defend the creative team behind this exterior design.

It’s embarrassing.

1710046767619.jpeg

Last edited:

doctornick

Seems to me that Mission Breakout's script is aligned very well with the spirit of the Guardians of the Galaxy. And is a significant part of why the ride is so popular (as are those films and characters). I wouldn't defend the hideous exterior but I think the ride perfectly captured the essence of the Guardians and is an improvement over the DCA ToT.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

Seems to me that Mission Breakout's script is aligned very well with the spirit of the Guardians of the Galaxy. And is a significant part of why the ride if popular (as are those films and characters). I wouldn't defend the hideous exterior but I think the ride perfectly captured the essence of the Guardians and is an improvement over the DCA ToT.

Every time I get off, all I hear is excited people chanting, “Raise your hands for scanning!!!!”

Truly idiotic premise and script.

But, hey, glad you found it compelling and clever.

RSoxNo1

You're not wrong. I mean sure, he opened two rides on the same day that had "throw your hands in the air and wave them around as if there are no repercussions" gimmicks to them. I can't defend that.

But the overall quality and consistency of his work holds up against any Imagineer in the last 25 years.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
You’re sheepishly trying to defend the creative team behind this exterior design.

It’s embarrassing.

View attachment 772274
Narratively, this structure is supposed to be a warehouse in which an eclectic and gaudy alien slave trader houses a variety of eclectic and gaudy alien species and artifacts. In YOUR opinion, how is the exterior structure pictured here incongruent or misaligned with that established narrative? Please give specific details. This is not meant to be an attack on you or a diss or anything like that, I'm just genuinely curious as to what points you would like to present.

Playing devil's advocate for a bit here, Mission Breakout's exterior is not meant to be an ornate art deco hotel like the Tower was. While the Tower was certainly more aesthetically pleasing to view outside of its narrative context (around DCA and the Esplanade), the new exterior is effective at establishing its narrative and feels quite impressive for its turnaround.

yensidtlaw1969

Every time I get off, all I hear is excited people chanting, “Raise your hands for scanning!!!!”

Truly idiotic premise and script.

But, hey, glad you found it compelling and clever.

I don't know how good you think this tirade is making you look, but I promise you it's less than you think.

All these people you're referring to are much more even and moderate on the subject than you're painting them to be. No one is saying what you're saying they're saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom