Rumors. Musings. Casual.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One way they could improve the infrastructure of the Magic Kingdom is by getting new monorails... I know I know. A shocking suggestion. Current Alstom monorail trains have walkthrough cabins. This means that guests can circulate within the train and find seating. This would be a slight deviation from the original vision of the monorails being made up of small compartments. However, the capacity increase would be significant. In addition, this would greatly simplify evacuation as all cars could be evacuated from one point.

Alstom's monorail's are also fully automated. Meaning all boarding, exiting, and piloting is done automatically. Gates are placed next to the corresponding monorail door. When the monorail arrives, the gates slide open. The computer can also time itself to make sure new trains are arriving almost constantly. Ensuring the monorails and stations are at grade with one another is also something that should be done. Bringing out a ramp whenever someone in a wheelchair is coming slows things down. Zero entry boarding and exiting is a must. Stations could also be redesigned and enclosed to provide AC. This would make the waiting experience more comfortable.

One other option is to build a 3rd Magic Kingdom monorail line. Adding an additional express line would increase the capacity significantly. It could bypass the Contemporary (to avoid lengthy disruptions to the hotel) and rejoin the other two lines by the bus lot.

None of this technology is revolutionary. It already exists in multiple locations. Of course, I'm not holding my breath. They'll probably add buses from the TTC permanently. It will make things so much more magical!
Once the monorails/beams go…that’s it.

Doneski

Figments Friend

Been reading the thread and here's where I am (as a longtime fan who is disenchanted).

If Disney kept their attractions immaculate and dependable, if the state of "show" was what it was even 5-6 years ago, and they price gouged with things like Genie+/ILL, well then, maybe that would be palatable.

But to have attractions literally falling to pieces, to expect guests to tolerate 20% or more of their day dealing with broken down rides, to spend 20 years systematically removing moving parts, gutting animatronic-heavy attractions and replacing them with black spray paint and screens, to cut entertainment to the bone, AND all the while raising prices and nickel-and-diming beyond all sense of reality, and then creating a core business model (Genie+/ILL) that alienates 60-80 percent of your guests by design... how does that make any sense? How does it sustain the brand?

Hacks indeed. The latex gloves are a mere symptom of the cynicism, hubris and institutional rot that's gutting the company from the inside out.

This.

All of it.

-

pheneix

Original Poster
It’s fun seeing everyone’s evidence based ideas being shared. Most are a lot more ambitious than from the real company.

Disneys reception of all this feedback could be programmed by a robot.

“Must increase margin.

Must decrease operations spending until it falls apart.

Must run away low yield guests because they are not high yield.

Must increase margin.”

In the Parks
No
Seems an appropriate time to drop this here:
1707067975746.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So Disney’s answer to Epic Universe will be the watered down leftovers of something Universal did in 2008? Yikes.
It literally makes zero sense to try to integrate the Simpsons into wdw.

The Simpsons have an incredible history

But fan or no - what it is is a cross between mad magazine and the most garbage animation ever created.

The uso land is probably the best you could do…they really did an excellent job…and yet you still want to take a shower after walking through it

Hard pass

LittleBuford

A tweet (X?) with the following picture was shared here the other day but deleted because it included swearing:

GFYQRYZWYAA72T5

The accompanying text (minus the swearing) stated: “People who were great at their craft, WED Imagineers, created amazing attractions that hold strong today. THEN . . . hacks get in there and systematically ruin them. These are rubber latex gloves, out of the box, on this animatronic figure. REALLY???”

Can anyone here provide any context for this photo? Are these gloves really visible as one rides the attraction, or is this some kind of temporary state? Why is the rest of the figure covered in plastic?

UNCgolf

It will print money, just like it does at USF. Universal just found something that will print more money (Pokémon).

I think that's unlikely, especially going forward. The Simpsons aren't going to gain in popularity/relevance in the next decade; it's far more likely to be something that almost no one under the age of 30 (or maybe even 40) cares about 15-20 years from now (I don't think there are that many people under the age of 30 who care about them even now).

Even at Universal it's mostly just a fast food area. The Simpsons theme obviously helps, but there probably wouldn't be a gigantic drop in revenue if it was just generic burgers etc. because that's what a lot of people want to eat, and the ride isn't too popular (although it's not a very good ride, so that's a contributing factor).

My guess is any investment Disney makes into the Simpsons theme would be better spent on a different theme in terms of long-term ROI -- if Universal thought the Simpsons area was that valuable they'd have wanted to keep it and add Pokemon elsewhere.

I know they're popular on Disney+, but I don't think that's necessarily a good indication of how popular they will be going forward. It's more likely to be background comfort watching for people who grew up with the show than something that's gaining a ton of new fans.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It literally makes zero sense to try to integrate the Simpsons into wdw.

The Simpsons have an incredible history

But fan or no - what it is is a cross between mad magazine and the most garbage animation ever created.

The uso land is probably the best you could do…they really did an excellent job…and yet you still want to take a shower after walking through it

Hard pass

That’s how I feel when I walk through the USH version. The smells coming out of those quick service spots are really off putting. They remind me of what the food smelled like at Malibu Grand Prix (a Go Kart/ arcade/ miniature golf place) I used to go to as a kid in the late 80’s. Simpsons land basically gives me Roller skate rink/ bowling alley/ arcade/Chuck E Cheese vibes.

Last edited:

_caleb

A tweet (X?) with the following picture was shared here the other day but deleted because it included swearing:

GFYQRYZWYAA72T5

The accompanying text (minus the swearing) stated: “People who were great at their craft, WED Imagineers, created amazing attractions that hold strong today. THEN . . . hacks get in there and systematically ruin them. These are rubber latex gloves, out of the box, on this animatronic figure. REALLY???”

Can anyone here provide any context for this photo? Are these gloves really visible as one rides the attraction, or is this some kind of temporary state? Why is the rest of the figure covered in plastic?

From fan site HauntedMansion.com:
IMG_3221.jpeg

(Pictured above: another view of the Graveyard Band from behind the scenes. Note the transparent plastic clothing and flourescent colors, to make the characters glow when illuminated with UV lighting.

————-
I believe it’s the closer figure. Not sure about the gloves, or if the figure is still in use.

LittleBuford

From fan site HauntedMansion.com:
View attachment 766752
(Pictured above: another view of the Graveyard Band from behind the scenes. Note the transparent plastic clothing and flourescent colors, to make the characters glow when illuminated with UV lighting.

————-
I believe it’s the closer figure. Not sure about the gloves, or if the figure is still in use.
Thank you—this is helpful!

PizzaPlanet

I know they're popular on Disney+, but I don't think that's necessarily a good indication of how popular they will be going forward. It's more likely to be background comfort watching for people who grew up with the show than something that's gaining a ton of new fans.
Right. It does well because it’s a retro TV show. Building an attraction now makes about as much sense as a Seinfeld ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom