Will the Pandemic Curb the Price Increases?

eliza61nyc

Who is spending crazy? On what? I think if anything people will come away from this with a better understanding that they need not have an outrageous credit card bill and still have a decent time cooking more at home and buying less junk.
Also, we are Disney fans, but plenty of folks are going to be nervous to set foot in a crowded theme park. Even with measures to keep it less crowded. I don't see them opening up till they can accommodate the needed attendance to justify turning on the lights again.
Really??
People around here are going stir crazy. My entire block of moms have sworn when this is over they aren't cooking for weeks.
The problem is this is going on too long, yesterday the weather was beautiful and social distancing went to hell in a handbasket ( Google Philly news and see the pics from yesterday).
.now I don't think they'll head to the world because that's too big, but if anything once this is over, people are going to go hog wild.
No one I know is remotely thinking they are have a great time

Club Cooloholic

Really??
People around here are going stir crazy. My entire block of moms have sworn when this is over they aren't cooking for weeks.
The problem is this is going on too long, yesterday the weather was beautiful and social distancing went to hell in a handbasket ( Google Philly news and see the pics from yesterday).
.now I don't think they'll head to the world because that's too big, but if anything once this is over, people are going to go hog wild.
No one I know is remotely thinking they are have a great time
I don't think people are having great times, but I do think spending is going to be down by necessity for some and habit for others.

eliza61nyc

I don't think people are having great times, but I do think spending is going to be down by necessity for some and habit for others.
I really do think it will be more a function of how much longer this drags on. It's interesting because there is a big campaign for folks to try and find a way to support our local business and restaurants. My local pizza joint is trying to survive on curbside pickup.
A local artist came up with a way to make a few bucks by selling balloon "swags" for front of the door. Lol I bit
IMG_20200423_132343.jpg

And like someone upstream mentioned with the extra 600 bucks a week in unemployment even the furloughed folks are hanging in there.

I really think it's going to depend on how much longer we're in lockdown. I think if we get control of covid by say July.... Folks will revert back quickly.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I really do think it will be more a function of how much longer this drags on. It's interesting because there is a big campaign for folks to try and find a way to support our local business and restaurants. My local pizza joint is trying to survive on curbside pickup.
A local artist came up with a way to make a few bucks by selling balloon "swags" for front of the door. Lol I bitView attachment 466592

And like someone upstream mentioned with the extra 600 bucks a week in unemployment even the furloughed folks are hanging in there.

I really think it's going to depend on how much longer we're in lockdown. I think if we get control of covid by say July.... Folks will revert back quickly.

That's creative! I probably would have bit on that one too, as long as the person dropped it off and tied it up!

I'm just looking forward to getting back to a time when every other commercial or ad isn't some celebrity or corporation telling us we're all in this together

thomas998

Not true I bought a 75 inch TV at Sam's Club. It wasn't a crappy TV.
Sam's Club may be owned by WalMart but they also sell better stuff in some categories than WalMart. WalMart even when they sell real brands and not the off-brand junk will normally only sell name brand items when the manufacturer strips out all the bells and whistles to completely neuter the item so that it can be sold cheap enough for WalMart... this is especially true in TV's and computers. The only thing you can buy at WalMart electronic wise and not have to worry about what they did to it are Apple products, cameras and video games... but then you won't see much of a difference in price between what they sell those products for and what you can buy them for at Target or any other place. In the end you get what you pay for, if you don't really care about the quality of the TV picture then buy one from WalMart if you do care then don't.

Shouldigo12

If the park's capacity is lowered drastically for the foreseeable future, WDW woukd sooner aim exclusively to the wealthiest segment. Half the guests who pay double the price. Think of it as a permanent MNSSHP.
Listen...I love WDW as much as the next guy, but I really can't see them turning the World into a place all of the wealthiest people want to go to. It's fun, but there's a lot of parts that I wouldn't exactly call first class. I'm pretty sure the 1% wouldn't be willing to throw down nearly $300 dollars a night for a room at All-Star*, aka Disney's version of a motel. Plus, this wouldn't just require a lot of wealthy people to visit the parks, it would need them to come back over and over again. I don't know how many people who go now would be considered the level of wealthy you're talking about, but I have my doubts it's high enough.

*The $300 a night came from doubling the price Disney has for All-Star on June 1st to the 7th, going by the "double the price and have half the guests" model.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sam's Club may be owned by WalMart but they also sell better stuff in some categories than WalMart. WalMart even when they sell real brands and not the off-brand junk will normally only sell name brand items when the manufacturer strips out all the bells and whistles to completely neuter the item so that it can be sold cheap enough for WalMart... this is especially true in TV's and computers. The only thing you can buy at WalMart electronic wise and not have to worry about what they did to it are Apple products, cameras and video games... but then you won't see much of a difference in price between what they sell those products for and what you can buy them for at Target or any other place. In the end you get what you pay for, if you don't really care about the quality of the TV picture then buy one from WalMart if you do care then don't.
Here's a hint -- don't buy Coleman outdoor recreation products at Wally World.

The Empress Lilly

Listen...I love WDW as much as the next guy, but I really can't see them turning the World into a place all of the wealthiest people want to go to. It's fun, but there's a lot of parts that I wouldn't exactly call first class. I'm pretty sure the 1% wouldn't be willing to throw down nearly $300 dollars a night for a room at All-Star*, aka Disney's version of a motel. Plus, this wouldn't just require a lot of wealthy people to visit the parks, it would need them to come back over and over again. I don't know how many people who go now would be considered the level of wealthy you're talking about, but I have my doubts it's high enough.

*The $300 a night came from doubling the price Disney has for All-Star on June 1st to the 7th, going by the "double the price and have half the guests" model.
Eh, classy is not the same as wealthy. WDW attracts a lot of money without taste.

Dad 2 M & M

After perusing this thread....a few comments:

- We don't care much about the quality of TV (still have a 55" plasma in the Den).......last purchase was a 40" Smart TV from Walmart and it was well above our standards .........and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up off the curb

- Our business (construction support Georgia, Florida and South Carolina) is as busy as ever and we are having to turn away work. Part of this (high demand for our service) is due to many (other service providers) being scared to work during these times. We haven't been to Tampa at all during this, and could survive on Charleston area alone. Point here is there ARE many who are truly scared and I would think that would translate into some not going back to the World for sometime. Others will flock back....especially of the word is out the crowds are low....

- These online sales.....not seeing many great deals out here. Being signed up for email specials, deals, coupons, etc. I don't see much other than the typical sales. Belk, Kohls, JcPenney, Fanatics, Home Depot, Lowes, and others as such are running the same old deals and I haven't seen a truly "Black Friday" type yet.

- My guess is Disney will start with level prices, and adjust to what the "Gate" shows. I'd expect deals, but not great deals.

Disstevefan1

If the park's capacity is lowered drastically for the foreseeable future, WDW woukd sooner aim exclusively to the wealthiest segment. Half the guests who pay double the price. Think of it as a permanent MNSSHP.

I agree, it’s logical to raise prices to make back some money and hope to lower crowds by pricing some folks out.
BUT
MNSSHP is way to crowded!!!! The capacity must be cut way below what we see at the Christmas and Halloween parties!!!! Those parties are MOBBED!

The Empress Lilly

I agree, it’s logical to raise prices to make back some money and hope to lower crowds by pricing some folks out.
BUT
MNSSHP is way to crowded!!!! The capacity must be cut way below what we see at the Christmas and Halloween parties!!!! Those parties are MOBBED!
That was my experience at my last Christmas party too (2018). The MK was mobbed.

Dad 2 M & M

BUT
That was my experience at my last Christmas party too (2018). The MK was mobbed.
Heard that....unless you attend a MNSSHP in August or September, or a MVMCP in EARLY November as those were decent lower crowds. Otherwise they were really crowded. We were enjoying the After Hours and wondered when those were going to start being crowded.....

Club Cooloholic

I don't know if you know Bluffton SC at all but it's been full steam ahead during this crisis. Construction has not stopped at all. We're not a big city but construction has been hitting a huge demand the last couple of years and it is full on for how big we are. Hate to say it reminds of about 2007. I do know spec homes have stopped being built as of the last month and everyone is leary of starting anything new. The other side is everything under way is continuing. Just that is a year worth of building.

We'll see how this works out but the strange thing is a bunch of people from big cities up North seem to think it's time to leave there for SC. I know realtors making sales right now. Question is, is there a bunch of people with enough money up North to say, "To Hell with this I'm done and out of here." ????? I don't know how this will turn out but I can say our hospitals are laying off people from lack of demand. Sorry we just aren't dying as predicted. The rest of their business is gone.

We really don't need a wave of people from the North but I can see that happening, actually it has been happening for years but we really don't need a load of people moving here. Don't know what will happen here?
What industry is there? People don't leave good paying jobs for a whole other state, so the people coming from the north must have some incentive to make the move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom