Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, that's a mistake many are making in thinking this. People seem to forget that now that the hospitals are overrun with patients (and not only old ones... but also healthy young people who will pull through, but need serious treatment for a few days) what about other people (all ages) who need emergency treatments not connected with corona? When you have to start making choices who gets medical attention and who doesn't, then it gets really terrifying.
Agreed. Some people think that “flattening the curve“ is fake news and that isn’t and won’t really happen.

JohnD

It was 47-47 so 6 missing votes. They needed 60 to pass it so that wasn’t happening anyway.

They did talk about allowing votes by phone.

If it’s a Constitutional issue, I think you’ll see the fastest passage of a Constitutional Amendment ever (2/3 passage of both chambers, 3/4 passage of State Legislatures).

21stamps

That one is more obvious, but I gave the analogy for a reason. We all spread the flu and common cold our entire lives, and that never made us selfish when we felt good and did not know we had it or had to live as if we had it. If we start deciding who has to close or what we are allowed to do "for a greater good" to where many lose their persuit of happiness, we enter Animal Farm.

My point was on purpose that life is an inherent risk and a movie theater, fun spot, or some kids still choosing to go to the beach may have some arrogance, but everyone has their own line and limit to decide. Eventually we allike choices, yes driving in the rain increases your likely hood of dying and killkng others in a crash substantially, but even though millions around the country or billions around the world do it and often die or kill others, it is not as newsy.

I said earlier that people have changed their outlook thru all of this. Last weekend, my kid’s sports games were all canceled. I coach one of the teams, it was (was supposed to be) our last game. I briefly considered maybe going to a park or restaurant as a spur of the moment end of season party, but I didn’t.
On that same weekend, people here were posting about going to movie theaters- not crowded, but still, going, taking a risk/putting someone at risk. This weekend, they’re saying do not leave your house at all.

Maybe not everyone here is aware, but this winter was HORRIBLE for Flu season.. a few public schools in my general area were closed for 3 days, to stop the spread. I sent out an email every week to the parents of my soccer team, pleading to stay home if kids are showing any sign of illness. I was furious at my kid’s basketball coach who alllowed his son to play In a tourney game while clearly ill. The kid had to run to the bathroom and puke during half time.
I am always a nutcase over sanitizing and hand washing, especially during flu season.. my kid has never had the flu (knock on wood), I’ve had it once, in 2014. My pneumonia this year was my first time being down for the count since then.
I take precautions for my family,but not to extremes. We still go out during flu season, even to germ-y places like trampoline parks or indoor rock climbing.

Point being, you’re correct. We all have a line.. even during this coronavirus thing.. peoples’ lines may move up or down depending on the day or social perception of the day.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
So, our first day of mandated curfew began a little over an hour ago. Last time this happened in my country, was in the mid 70's because of a coup and political unrest. I barely remember those days.

Eerie silence all around, looking out a window I can see the sun still shining bright, blue skies and it's a beautiful 77°. I'm already missing my daily walk today. Many djustments to our daily lives are being made down here.

Endurance will be crucial through this crisis. Hopefully, this situation doesn't last much longer so that we can all go on with our normal ways of life.

LittleBuford

On that same weekend, people here were posting about going to movie theaters- not crowded, but still, going, taking a risk/putting someone at risk. This weekend, they’re saying do not leave your house at all.

No-one is saying not to leave the house at all. We all need to exercise, get fresh air, and pick up groceries.

Having gone to the cinema just over a week ago, would I do so now if any remained open? No. And that's not because of my susceptibility to the "social perception of the day", but because of new advice from the medical and scientific communities.

Lilofan

One thing that was impressive at the theme parks is that many cast members from different departments not just the cleaning staff were wiping down surfaces. Hopefully this is not just a one-off because the cleaning staff have their hands full on a regular day emptying garbage cans, trying to keep the restrooms clean and keeping the streets free of litter. Walt I would think would expect cleaning is everyone's job.

21stamps

No-one is saying not to leave the house at all. We all need to exercise, get fresh air, and pick up groceries.

Having gone to the cinema just over a week ago, would I do so now if any remained open? No. And that's not because of my susceptibility to the "social perception of the day", but because of new advice from the medical and scientific communities.

I don’t fault you for going last weekend, but other than the stay-at-home order, everything else was fairly similar. Schools were being closed, sports cancelled, facilities closing. You went because they were open and not crowded. That’s ok!!! But the point is, your line (and many others as well, not singling you out here) is different today than it was a week ago. This week you don’t even think 2 kids should be doing separate soccer drills in the same back yard, which is a lot less risky than a movie theater just based on germs alone. That’s ok that you feel that way, but it was a personal decision, one that you reached due to whatever reason. This is what celluloid was explaining, people have different risk assessments at different times.

To clarify, the schools etc started closing because of the CDC “the experts” recommendations that came out almost a week and a half ago.... many things closed prior to movie theaters closing. People started deciding how much of those recommendations would they apply to themselves, and people arrived at different levels at different times.

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

So, our first day of mandated curfew began a little over an hour ago. Last time this happened in my country, was in the mid 70's because of a coup and political unrest. I barely remember those days.

Eerie silence all around, looking out a window I can see the sun still shining bright, blue skies and it's a beautiful 77°. I'm already missing my daily walk today. Many djustments to our daily lives are being made down here.

Endurance will be crucial through this crisis. Hopefully, this situation doesn't last much longer so that we can all go on with our normal ways of life.
Sorry to hear you can't go on your daily walk. :( I'm sure you've probably mentioned this and I missed it, but do you mind sharing what country you're in?

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Florida update for tonight -

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.51.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.51.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.51.33 PM.png

LittleBuford

I don’t fault you for going last weekend, but other than the stay-at-home order, everything else was fairly similar. Schools were being closed, sports cancelled, facilities closing. You went because they were open and not crowded. That’s ok!!! But the point is, your line (and many others as well, not singling you out here) is different today than it was a week ago. This week you don’t even think 2 kids should be doing separate soccer drills in the same back yard, which is a lot less risky than a movie theater just based on germs alone. That’s ok that you feel that way, but it was a personal decision, one that you reached due to whatever reason. This is what celluloid was explaining, people have different risk assessments at different times.

To clarify, the schools etc started closing because of the CDC “the experts” recommendations that came out almost a week and a half ago.... many things closed prior to movie theaters closing. People started deciding how much of those recommendations would they apply to themselves, and people arrived at different levels at different times.

As you well know, the advice has rapidly shifted focus from large gatherings, to small gatherings, to all unnecessary social interactions. I have behaved in accordance with this advice at every step.

celluloid

Since when is going to the grocery store once/week for perishables the same thing as panicking? No one here is suggesting that.

It was in response to imperfect pixie saying that people in the stores were doing things that were unnecessary and not doing their part. It is a slippery slope of judgement. I was pointing out how if you HAVE to go out for perishables every week and to go to multiple stores to get a certain item, someone sees you as visiting multiple places unecessarily. To each their own was my attempted(admitedly not well made) point.
Ironically under many thoughts here if we are going by CDC reccomendations the major theme parks were the slowest to act, even remaining open with Resorts and shopping distrcts until it was jut too bad of PR or no money to be made by natural consequences. The travel ban quickly caused the parks shut down but the hotels stayed longer probably or potentially doing far more damage if they would have closed sooner.

Rich Brownn

Too many people keep focusing on the death number and not the number also hospitalized. For example Orange County now has 33 cases, 10 of which require hospitalization. They could be in there for a month. Also sobering is the posted cases now listed as recovered in the US. Only 178.

ImperfectPixie

It was in response to imperfect pixie saying that people in the stores were doing things that were unnecessary and not doing their part. It is a slippery slope of judgement. I was pointing out how if you HAVE to go out for perishables every week and to go to multiple stores to get a certain item, someone sees you as visiting multiple places unecessarily. To each their own was my attempted(admitedly not well made) point.
"To each their own" doesn't work when there's a global health crisis and we've been given specific instructions...and many don't follow them, to the detriment of all.

celluloid

"To each their own" doesn't work when there's a global health crisis and we've been given specific instructions...and many don't follow them, to the detriment of all.

Reccomendations. There is a reason vaccinations are not required by law. Many cases could be made that they could be or should be from the same entity(I don't get why someone would not have their child or adult vaccinated), but they are not required for a reason.
Prohibition, same problem. Tobacco, same issue. There are times I wish freedom could take a backseat to those obvious issues, but clearly there is a balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom