Trip Report I Will Survive.....Spring Break (with a hint of May) *COMPLETED*

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live among the Spring Break crowds
But then I spent so many nights thinking how I could be wrong
And I grew strong
And I knew I could get along....

Well that’s what I’m hoping for anyway. I’m not a newbie when it comes to navigating Spring Break at WDW. I’ve got a couple decades of experience under my belt. “Spring Break” isn’t a single week of cray cray crowds (like the week between Christmas and New Years) but is spread over March and April. Unfortunately one (or more) of those weeks can end up being cray cray....and these days, there is no way to predict which one.

Please don’t let it be this week.

But we are prepared. ADRs at 180 days. FPs at 60 days. Clothing for rain or shine. (Praying for shine ~ we’ve had enough rain over the last 4 months to set an ark afloat.) And attitudes willing to “go with the flow.” 🐢

My goal is to keep the updates live. Should I fail? There’s always Part “Tu”.

Who: Tuvalu, Woody and Em (the teacher whose schedule dictates when we go)
When: Sunday, March 31 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Why: Let’s hope we don’t ask ourselves this!
How: We’ve done the plane, can’t take the train....so it must be the automobile!

Will we be smiling at the end of the week? Stay tuned.

And if you don’t hang around for the smiles, you may want to peek in and see if there are any WDWMagic meet ups. I know of at least three forum friends I hope to encounter.

Now it’s off to bed! The alarm is set for zero-dark-thirty.

Disney Loving Swede

We’re having dinner at a sig tonight. Two of Woody’s colleagues are participating in the Star Wars Rival Run this weekend. We are meeting them and their wives in an hour, at a restaurant where we have never dined.

I will report back, though not sure how many (if any) pictures I’ll take.

So I will leave you with this.

Drumroll, please. 🥁🥁🥁

TA-DA!!!

View attachment 361689

(Woody and Em’s picture has yet to appear.)

Thank you for your dedication, this is my mom's favorite ride and our next trip is her first time with Photopass, she's going to love this!

Tony the Tigger

Thursday, con’t

Yes!
(I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again....you are a smarty pants! 😆)

My first impression of Jiko is that it is a much larger restaurant than I expected. I was picturing small, intimate and dark. We arrived before sunset and there was lots of light pouring in through the wall of windows.

I loved the graceful bird lighting and the tandoori ovens in the center of the restaurant.

Our server was a bit pretentious and was a little condescending to Em. She seemed bothered that no one wanted her suggestions and then went ahead and told us what she likes best anyway.

The wine Woody ordered was “out” so she selected a new wine for him. She neglected to say it was $6 a glass more than the wine he had chosen.

I was able to take food pics because one of the wives had her phone out to Instagram her meal.

We began with the Taste of Africa bread service.
View attachment 361746

I have to say I much prefer the naan bread service at Sanaa.

Woody and I ordered the oak-grilled filet. It was every bit as good as the filet at California Grill. The grilled asparagus had a wonderful flavor ~ some of the best asparagus I’ve tasted. The mashed potatoes were just okay.

View attachment 361747

Em had the vegetarian corn tamale. She really liked it.

View attachment 361745

It was a nice evening. I know Jiko gets a lot of love in these forums and while we are glad we tried it, it won’t be on our “must-do” list.

I didn’t know this post would be a tear-jerker!

Glad you experienced Jiko, and I appreciate that you have balanced, honest opinions, and don’t end up trashing a place after a perhaps rocky start.

I think where places like Jiko and Tiffins really pay off is when you go a little off the beaten path on their menu - duck, lamb, elk, etc. And of course, parsnip purée. 💕

We may be kind of opposite in this regard, because Cali Grill is not a must do for us, after one visit. Maybe we’ll give it another shot one day.

And that’s why WDW has so many different restaurants for different experiences!

Now why the heck am I awake at this hour? It’s not even FP time yet.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think where places like Jiko and Tiffins really pay off is when you go a little off the beaten path on their menu - duck, lamb, elk, etc. And of course, parsnip purée. 💕

We may be kind of opposite in this regard, because Cali Grill is not a must do for us, after one visit. Maybe we’ll give it another shot one day.

And that’s why WDW has so many different restaurants for different experiences!
I agree that our palates are different. We are not adventurous eaters, especially when it comes to meat. FWIW of the 7 of us, 4 had the filet and 3 went vegetarian. And I purposely had the filet to be able to compare to Cali’s. Had I gone to Yachtsman on Tuesday and had beef, I would have tried something else at Jiko...probably the chicken! :joyfull:

The server soured the experience and as you know, service is paramount when dining at a sig.

And, like you, I am glad Disney offers lots of different dining choices!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Our server was a bit pretentious and was a little condescending to Em. She seemed bothered that no one wanted her suggestions and then went ahead and told us what she likes best anyway.

Sounds like a newbie with a high opinion of herself. Truly professional and knowledgeable waitstaff know how to "read" their guests, and don't let their own personal preferences overshadow the experience. Menu suggestions are one thing; attitude is another. :(

The wine Woody ordered was “out” so she selected a new wine for him. She neglected to say it was $6 a glass more than the wine he had chosen.

This one ticks me off -- full disclosure of price is just a basic, if not courteous, communication, if a requested wine is being replaced with another.

The server soured the experience and as you know, service is paramount when dining at a sig.

Sorry your Jiko experience was wasn't one of the best. The food did look good, however, so not a total loss.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds like a newbie with a high opinion of herself. Truly professional and knowledgeable waitstaff know how to "read" their guests, and don't let their own personal preferences overshadow the experience. Menu suggestions are one thing; attitude is another. :(
This one ticks me off -- full disclosure of price is just a basic, if not courteous, communication, if a requested wine is being replaced with another.
Sadly, she was no newbie. She prided herself on working with the chef (whom she mentioned is now at Boma) for many years. Woody was peeved that she brought out her wine “selection” for him without asking if he had another choice. He doesn’t like to make a fuss so he kept it. And she should have mentioned the increased cost.

I could have included the other ways she overstepped her position but chose not to. 😉

joshsprincess921

Hearty salad is where it's at! We are going in December and I'm already agonizing over whether I'm going to stick with the hearty salad or try the potato hash. Looks like y'all are having a great time and enjoying some pretty weather!! It's currently raining and cold... in Mississippi! 😢 We had it coming after two straight weeks of gorgeous spring weather.

I loved the potato hash! That hearty salad looks so good though!

Songbird76

Thursday, con’t

Yes!
(I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again....you are a smarty pants! 😆)

My first impression of Jiko is that it is a much larger restaurant than I expected. I was picturing small, intimate and dark. We arrived before sunset and there was lots of light pouring in through the wall of windows.

I loved the graceful bird lighting and the tandoori ovens in the center of the restaurant.

I was able to take food pics because one of the wives had her phone out to Instagram her meal.

We began with the Taste of Africa bread service.
View attachment 361746

I have to say I much prefer the naan bread service at Sanaa.

Woody and I ordered the oak-grilled filet. It was every bit as good as the filet at California Grill. The grilled asparagus had a wonderful flavor ~ some of the best asparagus I’ve tasted. The mashed potatoes were just okay.

View attachment 361747

Em had the vegetarian corn tamale. She really liked it.

View attachment 361745

It was a nice evening. I know Jiko gets a lot of love in these forums and while we are glad we tried it, it won’t be on our “must-do” list.
That's appalling about the wine! I think I would have refused to pay that. You can't just pick something more expensive for the customer and expect them to pay for it. It's not what he ordered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom