The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Well, at least she didn't really leave. I can't imagine sitting in a closet waiting to see if my kid would panic. But, I know my DS would, because he did. He's 10 and we're trying to get him to be a bit more independent, so we will leave him for short periods....like, when my husband drives me to work...he's gone for about 20 minutes. Or I'll go to the grocery store, which takes about 30 minutes. He's fine if he knows where we are and he has our phone numbers so he can call. The problem is that when he panics, he forgets he can call. So I told him one day I was going to the store, he said ok, and I left. I came back and could hear him screaming from the street. I opened the door and he was pacing from the stairs, across the hallway, to the living room, and back. He saw me and FLEW at me and hugged me and I asked him what happened and he said he didn't know where I was. It had not registered when I told him where I was going, so he completely freaked out. So now we have to ask him where we're going after we've told him, and we got a whiteboard where we can write it down so he can see it if he forgets.

And I may have told this story before, but I don't know. When I was 3, I was sick and my mom needed to go to town to get groceries. We lived on a ranch about 40 miles from town, so it wasn't exactly a quick trip. Normally, my mom took us with her, but because we were sick, she couldn't do that. She asked my dad if he was going to head out to do chores or if he would be home. He told her he'd wait to do chores. So she left. She came back to an empty house and assumed that my dad had changed his mind and taken us with him....she was a bit miffed as it wasn't good for us. But then my dad came home with my brother and of course, I was not with them. My mom asked where I was and my dad said he had decided he needed to do the chores and I hadn't wanted to go with him, so he left me home....alone....at 3.

I did not, of course, remember the circumstances that led to me being home alone, I just remembered looking out the window and I knew they had told me where they were, but I couldn't remember if I was supposed to meet them somewhere or if I was supposed to stay put, I couldn't remember where they were, when they'd be home....I saw a pickup out in the pastures, but I was pretty sure it wasn't OUR pickup and it was really far so I knew by the time I walked there, it would be gone, and I'd have to walk all the way back, and I didn't want to get in trouble if I wasn't supposed to leave the house. So I went and crawled into my bed and pulled the covers over my head because I was scared and didn't want anyone bad to be able to find me. I thought I had dreamed it because my mom would NEVER have left me home alone that young and my dad never watched us.

Now, I was a tiny little thing....I was 3 and wearing 18 month old clothing, so with the covers up over my head, I was pretty much invisible...there wasn't much of a bump under the covers. So when my dad showed up without me, my mom called every neighbor and friend to find out if I had been spotted walking through the pastures of any of the neighboring ranches, or on the roads there, etc. She had a whole search party out looking on the buttes for me. Anything could have happened....bitten by a rattle snake, trampled by cattle, dragged off by a coyote, fallen down one of the buttes, etc... So when no one could find me, she was livid with my father and devastated and scared. Something possessed her to check my room one more time, and that's where I was found, sound asleep with the covers pulled up over me. Needless to say, she was relieved, and never left us in our father's care again until mandated by the courts after the divorce. But she would magically show up in places where we were....people would call her to tell her the babysitter left us at the pool alone again, and she'd come and "visit" us. (My father was supposed to have us during the summers) It probably explains her over-protectiveness of me in particular as I got older.
What a story. Thank goodness you decided not to go anywhere. Where you lived, who knows what would happen. Now that I have a 14 and 16 year old, and my other 2 are 7 and 10, I am ok leaving them for a few hours if I need to go out. Oldest has a cell phone and we are close with the neighbors in case of an emergency. Helps that the one neighbor is an ER doctor and his wife used to be a nurse.

Songbird76

So what happens when you go on vacation with 4 kids, and aren't as diligent about telling them to wash their hands before they eat after touching loads of handrails? Also no stroller or bag meant there were no sanitary wipes. Well home for a couple of days and first youngest had a fever and now is coughing with no fever, and 2nd youngest had a fever the last 2 days. I hear oldest coughing upstairs now.
Sounds like it's time to break out the lysol. Make sure to wipe down the TV remotes...that's the one people forget about. They get the door handles and light switches and forget the remotes and phones. Share the love, not the germs! Hope everyone feels great soon!

MySmallWorldof4

I have to admit that I was a little concerned. Her reaction to her husbands sudden death seemed a little strange or perhaps an effort to show strength. Holding in that shock and grief can cause a lot of problems. I truly hope that she is alright and working her way through that tragic situation. I guess we may not ever know.
I am hoping that one day she will return. I think she was as you said showing strength through shock. I hope she wasn't pushed in a way she didn't want to go. Her daughter's home life was not the most stable and Betty Rose's husband seemed to be the strength in the family. Prayers for her.

21stamps

Oh my gosh!!! Kids should not be out in that. They should postpone.
They did earlier.. until 5:15.. which sounds even worse.

Look at this!!!!

I don’t know why they aren’t cancelled!! The news is reporting downed power lines and trees.. I don’t like this at all!!!!!!
I’m usually complaining about cancellations, but this time I want it! It’s not safe to be on some Indiana backroad.. and it’s not safe to be anywhere outside!

75C7F186-493F-4B8C-A754-74F2463A0E90.jpeg

Songbird76

What a story. Thank goodness you decided not to go anywhere. Where you lived, who knows what would happen. Now that I have a 14 and 16 year old, and my other 2 are 7 and 10, I am ok leaving them for a few hours if I need to go out. Oldest has a cell phone and we are close with the neighbors in case of an emergency. Helps that the one neighbor is an ER doctor and his wife used to be a nurse.
Nice to have those neighbors, isn't it? I'm sad our neighbors left...the husband was a fireman and the wife drove ambulance. When DD fell off her bike and scraped up her knee, I went over and she gave me some wipes they use on the ambulance to clean it. She was always helping out the neighbors whenever something happened. But they had 2 kids, one of whom went to DS's school. He has autism and they decided to move to a place with a bigger yard so he could get a dog. So they left a few years ago. :( Great for them, but not for us!

And yes....good thing I didn't leave the house. My dad seriously had no clue you couldn't leave a 3 year old alone in the house. My dad was clueless when it came to childcare. I remember mom being furious when he'd bring us back from a visitation at 10:00 pm not having fed us dinner and she'd have to scrounge something up before we went to bed because we were starving and it was already past our bedtime. But he'd take us to run errands in the bigger town, and we'd say we were hungry and he'd say we just needed to go here or there and then we'd go eat. But he'd get to gabbing with someone and we'd spend a couple of hours at one place, and he was supposed to have us home at a certain time and it was already too late to get us home on time...so he'd just skip dinner. In his defense, he grew up in the 1930s when men didn't generally handle childcare, so he really had no experience. And he was the youngest of 3, and his siblings were both 10 years or more older, so he didn't have any younger siblings to "help" his mom with. He was just...clueless.

When I was 13 or so, we were running errands with him. He had this friend who had gone to prison and she was released to a sort of halfway house. She needed coins for the vending machines, and wasn't allowed to leave the property. So dad stopped and got some rolls of quarters to bring to her. It was a really hot day....like, in the 90s, I think, and he said he was just going to run in, he'd be right back. But he was worried since it was all convicted criminals at this place and they could roam freely about the property, so he told us to keep the windows rolled up and the doors locked. He was in there for 2 hours. It was getting so hot that my brother finally rolled down the window....I was telling him not to because dad had said not to, and my dad was MEAN when he was angry. But he couldn't take it and had to do something...if he hadn't, we probably would have died in that hot truck. It didn't occur to him that we were still sitting out there while he was inside in an air conditioned building. He didn't want to bring us in and expose us to criminals, but also didn't want to leave without chatting for a while. My dad was REALLY bad with kids. He didn't MEAN to be abusive or neglectful....he just didn't know what he was doing, and he expected children to behave like adults and didn't understand why they don't. I know it sounds really really bad...and I guess it was, but I have forgiven him because he really just didn't know any better. I would never ever ever have left my kids in his care, even for a few minutes, but I've never told them any of this stuff because I didn't want them to be scared of their grandpa. He had just never been taught how to handle kids.

Songbird76

They did earlier.. until 5:15.. which sounds even worse.

Look at this!!!!

I don’t know why they aren’t cancelled!! The news is reporting downed power lines and trees.. I don’t like this at all!!!!!!
I’m usually complaining about cancellations, but this time I want it! It’s not safe to be on some Indiana backroad.. and it’s not safe to be anywhere outside!

View attachment 286985
That looks terrible!!! When will you find out if it's canceled? Surely they wouldn't chance it in weather like that!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It totally messed up our morning there. We had a fp for EE, Kali, and FOP for after lunch. It was only in the 70's so Kali was off. No one wanted to get wet and be cold. I forgot to mention we saw the new Up bird show. All I can say was the old show was better. The Finding Nemo show was closed as well. Aside from FOP, it was not a great day at AK, although there were lots of animals to see on the safari, including the baby hipp.:)

Interesting about the Up bird show--I didn't get to see it, but have heard mixed reviews so far. I also liked the old show, though.

So what happens when you go on vacation with 4 kids, and aren't as diligent about telling them to wash their hands before they eat after touching loads of handrails? Also no stroller or bag meant there were no sanitary wipes. Well home for a couple of days and first youngest had a fever and now is coughing with no fever, and 2nd youngest had a fever the last 2 days. I hear oldest coughing upstairs now.

Well in fairness to the kids, they'd probably be sanitizing their hands constantly all day, due to all the various things they touch, rails being held, etc. That's a high order for anyone. And just so you know, I also got a cold the day I came back home. I figured it was either from WDW, or from the recirculating air on the airplane. :)

I just completed a Disney survey based on Thursdays visit to Epcot. Two of the questions concerned the Living Seas, which we had not visited on this trip, and Figment. The Figment questions asked if we were familiar with him, and how much we liked him basically. Of course I said he was excellent. The Living Seas questions were about why we didn't visit it. One of the multiple choice answers was because "it was too far away", and another was "I don't like aquariums", and another was basically "it's boring". I just chose the one that said that it didn't fit in my plans for that day.

Disney emailed me a survey too. Since I used one (of only 2 fastpasses i reserved during my vacation) at AK (K. Safari), they asked me if I ate at AK. Yup--the survey was about AK food! (Never asked about the ride. :p ) So I responded that I actually did like Restaurantosaurus (never been there before--a QS in DinoLand). It was mobbed during lunch, yet was fairly organized. I got the grilled chicken BLT sandwich, with tomato, fresh basil, and garlic relish, and cheddar cheese. One of the best sandwiches I've had, so gave it high marks. :hungry:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Seen it. while the whole thing was absolutely stupid. I laughed at the coward once he got called out. Supposedly he tried to hide behind some bushes in the parking lot of the contemporary when the cops were called.

I nominate him for a Darwin Award. Yah . . . try to hide in the bushes . . . lord only knows how many security cameras are around that (iconic) hotel. Just boggles my mind.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have to admit that I was a little concerned. Her reaction to her husbands sudden death seemed a little strange or perhaps an effort to show strength. Holding in that shock and grief can cause a lot of problems. I truly hope that she is alright and working her way through that tragic situation. I guess we may not ever know.

My heart went out to her, and I also miss her. My thought was that after the funeral and all the work she had to do to move out of the house, etc., she probably got to the point where things finally settled down. In some instances that may be good; but I also felt that once she wasn't so distracted by everything, the reality of her new life (so to speak) probably hit her very hard. (Again, all this is just speculation.)

The only thing I had a hard time understanding was why she moved out of the house so quickly, as moving is such a difficult undertaking, even under the best circumstances. I do realize, however, that people are individuals and have many reasons for the decisions they make. I wish her well, and hope she returns here.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Baseball practice is cancelled.

They’re playing soccer now. In the rain. Hopefully the coaches can see the numbers tonight.

48 kids.. 3 different levels of teams (Elite/premier/gold), 10 man rosters.
I hate that I’m not watching. :( I’m in soccer mom he*l 😂🙁

I can solve this. Get him out of those outdoor sports, and have him take up indoor yoga or something!

MySmallWorldof4

Nice to have those neighbors, isn't it? I'm sad our neighbors left...the husband was a fireman and the wife drove ambulance. When DD fell off her bike and scraped up her knee, I went over and she gave me some wipes they use on the ambulance to clean it. She was always helping out the neighbors whenever something happened. But they had 2 kids, one of whom went to DS's school. He has autism and they decided to move to a place with a bigger yard so he could get a dog. So they left a few years ago. :( Great for them, but not for us!

And yes....good thing I didn't leave the house. My dad seriously had no clue you couldn't leave a 3 year old alone in the house. My dad was clueless when it came to childcare. I remember mom being furious when he'd bring us back from a visitation at 10:00 pm not having fed us dinner and she'd have to scrounge something up before we went to bed because we were starving and it was already past our bedtime. But he'd take us to run errands in the bigger town, and we'd say we were hungry and he'd say we just needed to go here or there and then we'd go eat. But he'd get to gabbing with someone and we'd spend a couple of hours at one place, and he was supposed to have us home at a certain time and it was already too late to get us home on time...so he'd just skip dinner. In his defense, he grew up in the 1930s when men didn't generally handle childcare, so he really had no experience. And he was the youngest of 3, and his siblings were both 10 years or more older, so he didn't have any younger siblings to "help" his mom with. He was just...clueless.

When I was 13 or so, we were running errands with him. He had this friend who had gone to prison and she was released to a sort of halfway house. She needed coins for the vending machines, and wasn't allowed to leave the property. So dad stopped and got some rolls of quarters to bring to her. It was a really hot day....like, in the 90s, I think, and he said he was just going to run in, he'd be right back. But he was worried since it was all convicted criminals at this place and they could roam freely about the property, so he told us to keep the windows rolled up and the doors locked. He was in there for 2 hours. It was getting so hot that my brother finally rolled down the window....I was telling him not to because dad had said not to, and my dad was MEAN when he was angry. But he couldn't take it and had to do something...if he hadn't, we probably would have died in that hot truck. It didn't occur to him that we were still sitting out there while he was inside in an air conditioned building. He didn't want to bring us in and expose us to criminals, but also didn't want to leave without chatting for a while. My dad was REALLY bad with kids. He didn't MEAN to be abusive or neglectful....he just didn't know what he was doing, and he expected children to behave like adults and didn't understand why they don't. I know it sounds really really bad...and I guess it was, but I have forgiven him because he really just didn't know any better. I would never ever ever have left my kids in his care, even for a few minutes, but I've never told them any of this stuff because I didn't want them to be scared of their grandpa. He had just never been taught how to handle kids.
Good that you forgave him, but some things are just common sense, although there are signs up in the pediatricians office that says not to leave kids in a hot car alone. You would not think that that would have to be printed. Maybe some people need a parenting course before they have kids.

MySmallWorldof4

Interesting about the Up bird show--I didn't get to see it, but have heard mixed reviews so far. I also liked the old show, though.

Well in fairness to the kids, they'd probably be sanitizing their hands constantly all day, due to all the various things they touch, rails being held, etc. That's a high order for anyone. And just so you know, I also got a cold the day I came back home. I figured it was either from WDW, or from the recirculating air on the airplane. :)

Disney emailed me a survey too. Since I used one (of only 2 fastpasses i reserved during my vacation) at AK (K. Safari), they asked me if I ate at AK. Yup--the survey was about AK food! (Never asked about the ride. :p ) So I responded that I actually did like Restaurantosaurus (never been there before--a QS in DinoLand). It was mobbed during lunch, yet was fairly organized. I got the grilled chicken BLT sandwich, with tomato, fresh basil, and garlic relish, and cheddar cheese. One of the best sandwiches I've had, so gave it high marks. :hungry:
Restaurantasaurus has a great black bean burger too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom