Rumor Flight of Passage foundation cracks?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I just heard an interesting alleged rumor from someone who works in AK in Pandora and they’re saying that one of the theaters at FoP has been closed indefinitely due to cracks that were found in the foundation. Can anyone confirm if it was open today, or if any truth here?

Last edited:

trainplane3

Isn't it all contained to one giant building? If there were cracks in one theater, wouldn't it affect the entire building? Pretty sure you couldn't close a part that is structurally deficient while the other half is open. But I'm not a engineer.

Is this going to become the next "the Yeti is over-stressing the foundation" or "a sinkhole closed Horizons"? :banghead:

Edit: Not surprised I'm wrong with this. See @FerretAfros and @lazyboy97o for the correct explanation.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Isn't it all contained to one giant building? If there were cracks in one theater, wouldn't it affect the entire building? Pretty sure you couldn't close a part that is structurally deficient while the other half is open. But I'm not a engineer.
I don't know the specifics of the FOP building, but it's not uncommon for machinery within a building to be structurally independent from the building itself. Due to the high concentration of weight and additional live load from moving parts, factories often have separate foundations for equipment within larger warehouse-type buildings; there's no reason that the foundation under the break room needs to be as beefy as the foundation under the assembly line. Similarly, the FOP queue, preshow, and exit areas would have significantly lighter loads than the massive moving-theater ride mechanisms.

More familiar to Disney fans, the Expedition Everest mountain, track, and yeti are all structurally independent, despite being woven through one another.

That said, although it's likely that the 4 ride mechanisms are on separate foundations from each other and the building itself, and it's plausible that there's a problem with one of them, I'm rather skeptical of this rumor. It's just a little too close to the debunked yeti story for me to buy it at this point

lazyboy97o

Is this going to become the next "the Yeti is over-stressing the foundation" or "a sinkhole closed Horizons"? :banghead:
Yes, FOP (all 4 theaters, and queue) and Navi River Journey (Ride and Queue) share the same giant building.

If this rumor is true (Which I dont think it is) and the foundation becomes worse, they'd have to close both Avatar rides indefinitely until a repair is made.
I will second what @FerretAfros said. The ride systems are structurally independent of the showbuilding, even the river path would be independent. It’s also possible for there to be cracks and for them to be nothing of concern as cracks will always occur with concrete.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I just heard an interesting rumor from someone who works in AK in Pandora and they’re saying that one of the theaters at FoP has been closed indefinitely due to cracks that were found in the foundation. Can anyone confirm if it was open today, or if any truth here?
Animal Kingdom: The Park Where Every Foundation Cracks.

Cmdr_Crimson

Uh oh. Now they have to reopen Stitch to disperse some of the crowds. :rolleyes:
Eh, don't worry once everybody realizes that Toy Story lands open I'm sure everybody will be going there instead. Plus once Galaxy's Edge opens I'm sure it will even get even less busy... then they'll budget crunch AK and decide that rivers of light is not worth it anymore and shut the place down by 5 like they used to I'm giving it another six years until it happens.

KBLovedDisney

Eh, don't worry once everybody realizes that Toy Story lands open I'm sure everybody will be going there instead. Plus once Galaxy's Edge opens I'm sure it will even get even less busy... then they'll budget crunch AK and decide that rivers of light is not worth it anymore and shut the place down by 5 like they used to I'm giving it another six years until it happens.
Sounds about right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom