A long time Disney fan turns sour!

eliza61nyc

When I go on a vacation whether Disney, a cruise or Europe and I report back, I tell the whole TRUTH of my experience.

Disney unfortunately has a rabid fan following who live by the motto "thou shall never spew negatively about the mouse".

Yes I'm a complainer, as I said Disney does not GIVE me a darn thing, I work ridiculously hard to be able to go. now as i said before, I have not reached the level of Zen where not getting what I paid for doesn't bother me. I do try to differeniate my complaints, is this a serious issue or just an annoyance.

See imo, one can gather a lot of information from a complaint. for example someone was gripping about the long hallways at the Boardwalk. guess what the year we were going to stay there, I had my knee replaced. immediately changed the resort.

Last edited:

DisneyDoctor

When I go on a vacation whether Disney, a cruise or Europe and I report back, I tell the whole TRUTH of my experience.

Disney unfortunately has a rabid fan following who live by the motto "thou shall never spew negatively about the mouse".

Yes I'm a complainer, as I said Disney does not GIVE me a darn thing, I work ridiculously hard to be able to go. now as i said before, I have not reached the level of Zen where not getting what I paid for doesn't bother me. I do try to differeniate my complaints, is this a serious issue or just an annoyance.

See imo, one can gather a lot of information from a complaint. for example someone was gripping about the long hallways at the Boardwalk. guess what the year we were going to stay there, I had my knee replaced. immediately changed the resort.
I definitely agree that complaints are important when warranted. In your case, a complaint helped you before staying at the world.

But, and I don't mean this in a rude way, I don't agree with the attitude that Disney has to give you things. There are thousands of other staying there, should they give stuff to everyone? What kind of things would you like to be given? I guess I'm a little confused as to what free stuff from Disney would do to improve your trip. You wouldn't receive free stuff on other vacations, right?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I don't agree with the attitude that Disney has to give you things. There are thousands of other staying there, should they give stuff to everyone? What kind of things would you like to be given? I guess I'm a little confused as to what free stuff from Disney would do to improve your trip. You wouldn't receive free stuff on other vacations, right?

1. You're paying Disney, so nothing you receive while staying in their resorts, or playing in their parks is "free".
2. See #1

eliza61nyc

I definitely agree that complaints are important when warranted. In your case, a complaint helped you before staying at the world.

But, and I don't mean this in a rude way, I don't agree with the attitude that Disney has to give you things. There are thousands of other staying there, should they give stuff to everyone? What kind of things would you like to be given? I guess I'm a little confused as to what free stuff from Disney would do to improve your trip. You wouldn't receive free stuff on other vacations, right?

very true, but we are not talking about "free" stuff. thats why I said I try to differentiate.

sorry, A clean room without cigarette butts is not "free". if I pay 300 bucks a night and I cannot use my balcony because of cigarette nastiness. damn straight I expect it to be rectified.

if I'm paying extra to stay on the monorail line resorts and the monorail breaks down every day (yes May of 2016) and we have to then deboard and be bussed, thereby wasting time. yes Houston we have a problem.

so what can Disney do to improve.

1) get rid of call center, if I have a problem I should NOT have to leave my room to speak with some one to assist me.
2) train your personnel. I laugh when people say "hang up and talk to another cm". Seriously???
3) hire more mousekeeper. plain and simple. too many issues consistently

None of these things are "extra's" IMO. just me

No towel animals.... not an issue
Oven not working in my villa.... problem

21stamps

very true, but we are not talking about "free" stuff. thats why I said I try to differentiate.

sorry, A clean room without cigarette butts is not "free". if I pay 300 bucks a night and I cannot use my balcony because of cigarette nastiness. damn straight I expect it to be rectified.

if I'm paying extra to stay on the monorail line resorts and the monorail breaks down every day (yes May of 2016) and we have to then deboard and be bussed, thereby wasting time. yes Houston we have a problem.

1) get rid of call center, if I have a problem I should NOT have to leave my room to speak with some one to assist me.
2) train your personnel. I laugh when people say "hang up and talk to another cm". Seriously???

What if they just cleaned the cigarettes or moved your room?
For the monorails- it would be frustrating, but I don’t know about compensation for downed monorails... that’s a lot of people to compensate. I would think Disney would have some small print to cover that.

Imo these are just things that “can happen”., monorails are tough to rectify quick, but cigarettes on a balcony should be handled quickly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For the monorails- it would be frustrating, but I don’t know about compensation for downed monorails... that’s a lot of people to compensate. I would think Disney would have some small print to cover that.

Imo these are just things that “can happen”., monorails are tough to rectify quick, but cigarettes on a balcony should be handled quickly.

Thats the crux of the issue these issues are not taken care of swiftly with a smile, At least in my experience its necessary to browbeat the desk employees to take care of the issues in their hotel. I personally never wanted stuff comped or freebies I just wanted the service I PAID FOR to be as advertised.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Thats the crux of the issue these issues are not taken care of swiftly with a smile, At least in my experience its necessary to browbeat the desk employees to take care of the issues in their hotel. I personally never wanted stuff comped or freebies I just wanted the service I PAID FOR to be as advertised.

I still get angry ..

• Every time I walk into Epcot, and I'm not greeted with a song as I enter Mexico.
  • Every time I reserve a room, and can't get a BoG reservation and FoP from the concierge upon my arrival.
  • Every time I'm in the parks, and I'm not the only one there.
LASTLY, WHY ARE THE PRINCESSES NOT GREETING ME BY KISSING MY CHEEKS AS I ENTER MAGIC KINGDOM? DON'T THEY KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID TO BE THERE?

:joyfull:

DisneyDoctor

I definitely agree with you, thanks for this response, it helped me see more of what you are talking about. I was hung up on the word "give." But, you're right, if you are paying for a room those types of things should be undoubtedly taken care of before check in.

CAV

I've never understood how people don't enjoy themselves on vacation. As a child, vacations came maybe once every 4 years. It could've rained every day and been crowded, but if I was at Disney I was happy. I'm not saying OP is this way, but I think some people are much too privileged for their own good. Seriously, enjoy the fact that you're on vacation with loved ones. There are a lot of children who's parents can't afford a trip to Disney.
. That's easy. I plan, organize, direct, schedule, coordinate, report and budget 49 weeks a year at work. I simply don't want to do it on vacation.....the only difference being I am paying more to do it at Disney than I get paid at work.

CAV

Not imo.. the alternative would be to rush to an attraction and grab a FP. That never worked for me as I’m not someone who typically arrives at rope drop. I’ll take FP+ any day...even if it means that I miss a few attractions.
nope. That's not the alternative. The alternative would be a FP+ that didn't have the 60 day window and nonsensical tiers. The alternative would be a FP+ that once a guest entered the park, he could either use any kiosk to get a FP for any attraction and/or a mobile device to do the same.

eliza61nyc

Not a problem, but when I write a trip report as I said, I tell the entire story. If the problem is rectified I most definitely feel better and I also note that but I will still mention it.

Now again one of the problems with the mouseworlds system is that you cannot call the actual front desk. so if you have a problem with your room you have two options.
1) make a call that takes you to a "central" system, wait for them to then contact your resorts housekeeping, then hope it doesn't get lost in transition. time?? anywhere up to hours.

2) leave your room and physically go down stairs to speak with manager on duty. usually gets the problem resolved quicker but again you have to leave.

I will say that every time I have a problem I do deal with it at the time and I am happy with the resolution.

John park hopper

I have read a recurring complaint about the monorail system souring peoples visit to WDW in alot of posts, break downs poor car maintenence etc. I can remember visiting WDW in the 70's-90's and never having a problem with break downs etc. possibly I was just lucky. The monorail is an icon of WDW and for the life of me I can't understand why Disney has not maintained the system in tip top condition especially since it is over 40 years old. It seems it is easy to build something but another to maintain it, just look at our crumbling roads and bridges nation wide.

tissandtully

The attitudes of CMs has been dismal lately. We're locals and go all the time and the experiences I've had are just mind-blowing. I'm not one to complain to GR about this stuff, but I definitely thought about it. I don't because it's generally not the CMs fault, but the lack of support they get, which turns into them being rude. It's a cycle, and if someone complains to GR, the only problem that will be fixed is firing the lowest person on the totem-pole.

Czar63

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.

DisneyDoctor

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I had to quickly scroll through most of this thread because you know who took it over and told us all the same stories she has told us 1000x in the same condescending way she has used 1000000x.

Anyhoo....

I HATE posts like this one by @DisneyMedStudent

Great, you had an awesome time. The OP did not. Your experiences do not invalidate theirs.

How do you know they don't vacation elsewhere? They came here to talk about their trip to WDW because, surprise.... it's a WALT DISNEY WORLD forum!!!! Why would they talk about their trip to Myrtle Beach in 2015 here? Answer...they wouldn't.
That's a strong sentiment to hold about a post on a forum! I wouldn't expect them to talk about a trip to a different destination. In fact, nothing in my original post suggests I want to know anything about their other travels. It's pretty obvious we only want to discuss WDW. I suggested another destination due to the fact that OP said they wouldn't be back in a long time and because they were fed up with WDW. If you read that as an invitation to discuss other vacations to different destinations, you misunderstood my point.

Also, I don't believe their experiences were invalid. I believe I said that I genuinely feel bad for them that their vacation wasn't a good one, especially at WDW. The whole point of my original post was to suggest that people could be expecting too much and should roll with the punches rather than complain. The conversation has taken place already, and I've learned some valuable things from those who don't agree with me. I suggest you reread it to avoid saying the same things.

Czar63

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.[/QUOTE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom