WDW Overlays

djdan888

Original Poster
Maybe this has been discussed before, but can anyone give any good reliable info as to why WDW has almost no overlays? Besides Jingle Cruise, I can't think of anything. Why no Star Wars Space Mountain? Why no Nightmare before Christmas HM?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It has been said by others that DL does the overlays since most of their base are locals with AP's. They are used as a way to drive foot traffic to see something new and different. Since most of WDW's base are not local AP holders, the use of overlays means that many people who come during the holidays wouldn't get to experience the original rides.

I don't know if this is true or not, just restating what a lot of people have said.

KBLovedDisney

I hate Nightmare Before Christmas (hides under his desk).
But but but it's a classic and it's awesome...and you know you like something about it. Right? Right....?
tenor.gif

wdwfan4ver

Maybe this has been discussed before, but can anyone give any good reliable info as to why WDW has almost no overlays? Why no Star Wars Space Mountain?
I can answer Space Mountain. Space Mountain overlay originally was designed for a Star Wars Event for Disneyland and didn't make sense for MK due DHS being the Star Wars theme park for WDW. When WDW has Star Wars Events, they are done in DHS, not in a castle park due to Star Tours Location.

The other thing is Disney does use a Star Wars overlay for Rock'n Roller Coaster for DHS, but they very rarely use it.

Here is Rock'n Roller coaster having a Star Wars overlay for one night at DHS:

Goofyernmost

It has been said by others that DL does the overlays since most of their base are locals with AP's. They are used as a way to drive foot traffic to see something new and different. Since most of WDW's base are not local AP holders, the use of overlays means that many people who come during the holidays wouldn't get to experience the original rides.

I don't know if this is true or not, just restating what a lot of people have said.
It's not totally true, there are many repeat visitors, however, compared to DLR, which is a heavily local park. Not enough local in WDW to warrant the down time required for the overlays and also because there really is very little demand for it even from the regular frequent visitors.

Smiley/OCD

I know, I know, I'm probably the ONLY person in the US that has NEVER seen ANY of the SW movies, start to finish, so I wouldn't want any SW overlays...I too, like the rides in their original forms...JC is cool, that's OK, since it's a holiday overlay. As far as SW goes, in a few short years, there will be a whole "land" in HWD. I'm sure Jimmy Fallon wouldn't want a Harry Potter overlay at his ride in Uni...call me a party p**per, but I would rather refer to myself as a Disney purest.

TrojanUSC

The "official" reason is that guests at WDW plan their trips often years in advance and Disney wants them to experience the attractions the way they're meant to be experienced. Meaning they don't want to disappoint someone who has waited forever to experience the Haunted Mansion only to find out it's been significantly changed with a holiday overlay.

The real reason is just demographics. Disneyland has over a million annual pass holders, along with a target audience that lives within six hours. Trips aren't planned years in advance, rather than an average of four weeks. Given all of this, relatively minor changes (overlays, an unexpected "plussing" of an attraction, like the hatbox ghost, or a limited time return of a parade) will draw massive crowds in a way that it simply does not in Florida.

aw14

I am a big Jingle Cruise fan and I do think it can be done well at other attractions. I would prefer a rotating group of attractions so only certain ones have an overlay every 2-3 years.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I really like the overlays at Disneyland. I am not a Nightmare Before Christmas fan but I really enjoyed the overlay at DL. And the overlay at it's a small world is just fantastic. My hubs isn't a huge fan of small world but when we rode the version at DL with the Christmas overlay he was astounded and the first thing he said to me was "We have to ride this again!". And the Hyperspace Mt was fun as well.

Personally I would love for overlays to come to WDW I think they offer a new experience to the parks. I do understand the reasoning that it might be someone's only chance to see the original version of a ride but people could plan around downtime or go at a time the overlay wouldn't be there.

Goofyernmost

I really like the overlays at Disneyland. I am not a Nightmare Before Christmas fan but I really enjoyed the overlay at DL. And the overlay at it's a small world is just fantastic. My hubs isn't a huge fan of small world but when we rode the version at DL with the Christmas overlay he was astounded and the first thing he said to me was "We have to ride this again!". And the Hyperspace Mt was fun as well.

Personally I would love for overlays to come to WDW I think they offer a new experience to the parks. I do understand the reasoning that it might be someone's only chance to see the original version of a ride but people could plan around downtime or go at a time the overlay wouldn't be there.
The trouble is that it isn't just when the overlay is actually running, but, the set up and tear down involved with having it. If the Christmas overlay is November through January and the set up is the month of October and tear down is into February that basically makes the original out of the possibility range for 5 months out of the year. It's not always possible to be that flexible in planning. And since Christmas is a big season for Disney does that mean that they cannot experience the decorations and see the original attraction as well. Just doesn't seem fair. As stated a whole lot of people are able to go to DL again and again through out the year, but, a very high percentage of WDW guests are not able to do that.

ToTBellHop

The trouble is that it isn't just when the overlay is actually running, but, the set up and tear down involved with having it. If the Christmas overlay is November through January and the set up is the month of October and tear down is into February that basically makes the original out of the possibility range for 5 months out of the year. It's not always possible to be that flexible in planning. And since Christmas is a big season for Disney does that mean that they cannot experience the decorations and see the original attraction as well. Just doesn't seem fair. As stated a whole lot of people are able to go to DL again and again through out the year, but, a very high percentage of WDW guests are not able to do that.

The amount of time required depends on the ride. Jingle Cruise requires no downtime.

In the past. The time required to remove Haunted Mansion Holiday was used to refurbish HM. No problem there.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I know all that, I was just voicing what I would personally like to see. I don't think it will happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom