Trip Report Sweating at the Swolphin: a 2017 Food and Whine Report

Hello and welcome to another Bee trip report! My DW M and I had the privilege of attending the opening weekend of the 2017 Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and the timing couldn't have been better! We both go "back to school" soon (she's an academic admin at a university and I teach voice and piano at a performing arts school), and last month we found out we have to move from the very affordable apartment we've loved for over three years because someone new bought the building and wants everyone out. We considered cancelling the trip given the moving news but almost everything was paid for already, and we decided in the end that we really needed this escape from reality. We made the right call!

You may know from the PTR to my California trip that this trip was originally scheduled for the end of September and beginning of October to coincide with Epcot's 35th birthday, but a flight change caused us to reschedule. More on that here.

The Plans
Who: M and me
What: A quick trip to Food and Wine!
When: Thursday, August 31-Monday, September 4
Where: Caribbean Beach and WDW Dolphin
Why: Because we needed a distraction from real life!
How: Lyft, Southwest Airlines, Magical Express, and more Lyft!

Keep reading for new experiences, old favorites, and of course lots of food and drinks!

bee

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.

A few views from Japan...

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvscT3e01un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Soon it was time to check in for our reservation at...

tumblr_owmvsf5XeR1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvsf5XeR1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmvsf5XeR1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

It was quite loud and busy between the two restaurants. We were seated about twenty minutes after we checked in.

Up next: FOOD!

bee

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.

Shortly after we were seated, our server, Ryoji, greeted us. Of course we started with cocktails.

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Momo Whisky Sour for me and Matcha Frappe for M

Yum yum yum!! I tried M's drink and the matcha flavor wasn't as strong as I'd been expecting but it was still good!

Next we shared appetizers...

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Tofu Steak Salad

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

And dressing

tumblr_owmw4pDvdc1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Sesame and Chili Edamame

YUM YUM YUM to both of these! The tofu in the salad was cooked well, and the edamame actually had some spice to it (NO WHINE).

I have to compliment the Tokyo Dining staff on the pacing of the meal. At many Disney restaurants we feel rushed because entrees are coming out immediately after-or even before!-we finish our appetizers. We actually felt relaxed here despite the noise level of the restaurant.

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Vegetable Nebayaki Udon

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Vegetable Roll

Once again everything was so good! I think we managed to eat all of this between us. The flavors and textures worked well together and we loved the variety of veggie dishes available.

What's a Disney dinner (a LAST NIGHT dinner at that) without a dessert cocktail??

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Whipped Coffee Cream

As a bonus, we had a great view of IllumiNations from our table!

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

We would certainly eat at Tokyo Dining again. Everything was fresh and flavorful and well-prepared. The service was great throughout the meal, and as a bonus we got to see IllumiNations from a new perspective!

After dinner we joined the crowds exiting the park through the International Gateway. I don't remember where this was but apparently I found it interesting enough to take a picture of it:

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

???

We arrived at the Dolphin to find a crowded elevator area.

tumblr_owmx82FVrV1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

But we eventually got on one and made it back to our room. It had been a wonderful day and a wonderful trip, and it was time for one last sleep in our wonderful bed!

Up next: Day 5

bee

Original Poster
Day 5
Going home :(

We woke up around 6:30 to finish packing and get dressed. Soon we were leaving behind our beautiful (now messy) room.

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

The view...one last time

We waited in the lobby for our Lyft driver.

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

This used to be a water feature

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmxqr1zqm1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Luis arrived shortly to drive us to MCO.

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Bye!

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

New terminal under construction

Security wasn't too long and soon we were on the Fonorail.

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Breakfast time!

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Iced coffee to share

tumblr_owmz71RUjs1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Egg and cheese muffins and hash browns

Up next: The flight...and the end

bee

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.

Boarding was uneventful and we took off a few minutes early.

tumblr_own3yxMD441un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Guess what show was available to watch on my iPad!

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Just coffee

We landed early and took a Lyft home. Usually we fly in the afternoon so we have some park time on the last day but since there weren't any later direct flights we booked the one we did. The upside was we were home before 12:30 and had time to rest before going back to work the next day.

Some final thoughts (in no particular order)...
  • Wow did we need this trip. With the stress of having to unexpectedly move this was the perfect escape exactly when we needed it. We came back relaxed and refreshed and ready to take on the significant task of finding an affordable place to live in one of the most expensive rental markets in the country.
  • We got back on Monday. On Tuesday M called a rental agent about a new build one town away from us. On Wednesday we saw the place, applied for it, and were approved all on the same day! It was meant to be.
  • I love the Dolphin even more than before now that it's been updated. Apparently the new lobby is finished now so I can't wait to see it next time!
  • I think I say some variation of this every time, but a Disney trip can really be anything you make it. You can be a park commando or you can sleep in and go to the parks when you're ready. You can eat signature dinners every night or stick to quick service, or anything in between. You can spend all your time in the parks or you can take breaks and resort hop. You can visit alone or as a couple or as an extended family. M and I have enjoyed discovering our own style (mostly relaxed, with time for some signature meals, and an occasional rope drop morning) together.
  • I'm so glad our original plans (to visit for Epcot's 35th birthday) didn't work out! The trip we got to take instead was longer and more fun!
  • Food and Wine opening weekend wasn't nearly as crowded or crazy as I thought it would be. It of course helped that we hit most of the kiosks in the morning/early afternoon on the first two days, but even the time we spent in the evenings wasn't so bad.
  • I would definitely stay at Caribbean Beach again, after construction is completed.
  • How do I forget how hot it is EVERY TIME???
What's Next?

The biggest immediate event in our lives is obviously the move to the new apartment. We're still waiting on our exact move date but it will be around October 15. We'll also need a furniture shopping date as we'll need about five new chairs to appropriately fill in the space! Oh, and rugs to divide up the GIANT living/dining room that will also contain my office/teaching studio! :D

I have a few auditions coming up this season. I was more selective with applications this season because doing thirty auditions in two or three months is EXHAUSTING. So far I have two this week, two next week, and two in the beginning of November. Hopefully a few jobs will come from all of these!

In my PTR I posted about an interview I had for a teaching job. My availability didn't match their needs for regular teachers on site (understandable since three of my afternoons are already occupied with a performing arts school), but they did add me to their roster for special events and referrals. They have already sent me one serious student and she started last week. I'm hoping to keep expanding my teaching schedule as I continue (sloooowly) growing my own singing career, and with the new apartment I'll have a space for students to come to me for lessons!

As far as Disney goes, we are planning to go back for Thanksgiving to see M's family and, ahem, the Mouse family! I'll post a new PTR as we get closer and plans are more solidified.

Thank you to everyone who read, liked, and commented! It's way more fun to relive a trip and share it with friends!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I fell behind a little bit, so I'm inserting some quotes that I tagged last week!

Caramel Cappuccino in a Waffle Cone! :hungry:

Where did you get this? I must have one. :D

We noticed that at one point the Polynesian music stopped, then there was silence in "no man's land," then the Victorian music began when we'd officially reached Grand Floridian territory.

Very interesting!

The prices were reasonable (for Disney), the service was excellent, and there were several vegetarian choices, so CG will go on our return list.

Reasons why I love the Captain's Grille, too! I think we had the same waitress at least once. I hope once the renovations are complete, that the food and the service maintain the same levels.

From newer posts:

Great photos from the balcony of Japan! Different perspective. We've never tried Tokyo Dining because we have several comparable places locally, but maybe someday we'll try it out at Epcot!

Thanks for taking us along on your trip!!

bee

Original Poster
Where did you get this? I must have one. :D
The Fountain at the Dolphin!

Great photos from the balcony of Japan! Different perspective. We've never tried Tokyo Dining because we have several comparable places locally, but maybe someday we'll try it out at Epcot!
Thank you! We're glad we tried it!

Thanks for taking us along on your trip!!
You're welcome! Thanks for joining me!

There were four of us and I distinctly remember getting in first so I was on the left. I really have no good excuse for missing this:confused:
To be fair, there is really a lot to see on that ride and it's easy to miss one thing when you're looking at so many other things!

Great trip report!! Thanks for sharing & I'm looking forward to the next one!!
BTW--last week the weather was still extremely uncomfortable there!!
Thank you! Fingers crossed it's slightly better in seven weeks!!

newhorizons1

I've only been to Tokyo Dining once and really liked it. I thought the service there was exceptional, and the sushi was great! That edamame looked so good.

I'm so glad that everything worked out with the new apartment. That's great that you will have a place for lessons in your own space. My husband gives guitar lessons occasionally at our house, so when we moved we definitely needed a place where he could do that.

Also, good luck on your auditions for the season. My sister has a degree in vocal performance, so I know it can be grueling.

ksr99

Day 5, cont.

Boarding was uneventful and we took off a few minutes early.

tumblr_own3yxMD441un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Guess what show was available to watch on my iPad!

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_own42zacsB1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Just coffee

We landed early and took a Lyft home. Usually we fly in the afternoon so we have some park time on the last day but since there weren't any later direct flights we booked the one we did. The upside was we were home before 12:30 and had time to rest before going back to work the next day.

Some final thoughts (in no particular order)...
  • Wow did we need this trip. With the stress of having to unexpectedly move this was the perfect escape exactly when we needed it. We came back relaxed and refreshed and ready to take on the significant task of finding an affordable place to live in one of the most expensive rental markets in the country.
  • We got back on Monday. On Tuesday M called a rental agent about a new build one town away from us. On Wednesday we saw the place, applied for it, and were approved all on the same day! It was meant to be.
  • I love the Dolphin even more than before now that it's been updated. Apparently the new lobby is finished now so I can't wait to see it next time!
  • I think I say some variation of this every time, but a Disney trip can really be anything you make it. You can be a park commando or you can sleep in and go to the parks when you're ready. You can eat signature dinners every night or stick to quick service, or anything in between. You can spend all your time in the parks or you can take breaks and resort hop. You can visit alone or as a couple or as an extended family. M and I have enjoyed discovering our own style (mostly relaxed, with time for some signature meals, and an occasional rope drop morning) together.
  • I'm so glad our original plans (to visit for Epcot's 35th birthday) didn't work out! The trip we got to take instead was longer and more fun!
  • Food and Wine opening weekend wasn't nearly as crowded or crazy as I thought it would be. It of course helped that we hit most of the kiosks in the morning/early afternoon on the first two days, but even the time we spent in the evenings wasn't so bad.
  • I would definitely stay at Caribbean Beach again, after construction is completed.
  • How do I forget how hot it is EVERY TIME???
What's Next?

The biggest immediate event in our lives is obviously the move to the new apartment. We're still waiting on our exact move date but it will be around October 15. We'll also need a furniture shopping date as we'll need about five new chairs to appropriately fill in the space! Oh, and rugs to divide up the GIANT living/dining room that will also contain my office/teaching studio! :D

I have a few auditions coming up this season. I was more selective with applications this season because doing thirty auditions in two or three months is EXHAUSTING. So far I have two this week, two next week, and two in the beginning of November. Hopefully a few jobs will come from all of these!

In my PTR I posted about an interview I had for a teaching job. My availability didn't match their needs for regular teachers on site (understandable since three of my afternoons are already occupied with a performing arts school), but they did add me to their roster for special events and referrals. They have already sent me one serious student and she started last week. I'm hoping to keep expanding my teaching schedule as I continue (sloooowly) growing my own singing career, and with the new apartment I'll have a space for students to come to me for lessons!

As far as Disney goes, we are planning to go back for Thanksgiving to see M's family and, ahem, the Mouse family! I'll post a new PTR as we get closer and plans are more solidified.

Thank you to everyone who read, liked, and commented! It's way more fun to relive a trip and share it with friends!
Good luck on move in day, hope its smooth.....enjoyed the report and I'm thinking of doing the Swan after a quick trip to the poly!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think I say some variation of this every time, but a Disney trip can really be anything you make it. You can be a park commando or you can sleep in and go to the parks when you're ready. You can eat signature dinners every night or stick to quick service, or anything in between. You can spend all your time in the parks or you can take breaks and resort hop. You can visit alone or as a couple or as an extended family. M and I have enjoyed discovering our own style (mostly relaxed, with time for some signature meals, and an occasional rope drop morning) together

Yup, there's something for everyone. You summed that up perfectly. Kinda like Burger King's slogan, "Have it your way."

Great TR, and sorry to see it come to an end. Happy that you had a great time. Best wishes to the both of you with the move (ugh--I hate moving) to your new apartment. But once you're done with that, I think your new place will be well worth the effort. :cat:

BuddyThomas

Day 3, cont.

Full of bread and cheese and mimosas, we left France and walked toward Future World.

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo2_1280.jpg

If you were us, and you were already day-drunk, what ride would you NEED to go on?

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo3_1280.jpg

I think we waited an ENTIRE ten minutes to board. Apparently we didn't take any photos of this time.

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo6_1280.jpg

When we exited the up escalator was closed (WHINE) so we took the stairs. Honestly we didn't mind taking the stairs as much as we minded the traffic jam it created.

I happened to check wait times on my phone and saw this:

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo5_1280.png

I'm sure that's always a nightmare for the Norway CMs!

As we exited through the IG there was a Friendship Boat just arriving! We started out sitting on the back deck but decided to go inside as it was less crowded inside.

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Bless you, fan! It was actually a very comfortable temperature in the boat this time.

tumblr_ow0sd8XFw41un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Bye, Epcot!

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0sinXqYY1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

We made it!

Up next: "Did we just go back in time??"
Your pictures are so amazing. Practically post-card ready. WDW needs to hire you as a staff photographer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom